Other urls found in this thread:

blasphemoustomes.com/2016/06/21/episode-81-good-friends-tremble-dead-night/
reddit.com/r/nosleep/comments/3iex1h
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flannan_Isles_Lighthouse#Mystery_of_1900
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Icelandic_magical_staves
rpg.net/reviews/archive/11/11841.phtml
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

you have my attention

Modern Horror, fantasy horror, grimdark horror, uncanny horror, which horror we talking bout here

I suppose OP means any, so pick your poison and let's see what you've got?

>Modern Horror, fantasy horror, grimdark horror, uncanny horror
How about all of that

The most horrifying thing I can think of is littles

What is that pray tell?

If you don't already know, chances are you don't want to.

An idea I was thinking of running in Dread:

PCs are creatures you associate with being the monsters. Vampires, werewolves, whatever you like.

Until they wake up somewhere without windows. Something is running horrific experiments on them. So they must escape from a creepy laboratory complex designed to contain them.

Windowless rooms suggest underground, so they go up. Then they get to the surface and go outside, only to find themselves in pic related.

This should be the point where they figure out that they were abducted by aliens.

Problem is I had no idea where to take things from there.

Do you mean littles, as in Daddy Dom/little girl "littles"?

Yeah.

Oh dear God Emperor why.

What the fuck does that mean?

Please refer to

Anyone got a PDF of the game mentioned above?

I need to be explained to

Is it this?

littlefears()com

Remember /r9k/ in the Good Boy Points/Pretty Princess Points era? Some pieces of shit turned that into a fetish.

Very nice, consider that stolen.

I have an idea kinda similar to yours. The pcs are meant to be investigating these disappearences in the woods...they start seeing staircases, just staircases out in the woods.
Some are wood, some are metal, some are spiraling.

They see other weird shit, but eventually find a ladder/door leading down into the bowels of the earth.

They find themselves in massive cathedral of metal and looks like a hangar or garage, there are corridors branching out.

They meant a janitor which thinks they aren't there. And a female voice talks to them, talking them stuff.

Looking out the window they see they're in space.

Not sure how it's all going to work though.

No

I want more of this

Why not also post something?

mkay then

Have you considered Dead of Night?

Dread is wonderful, but death is spread out from just before the middle to just after the end unless you handle the number of skill challenges carefully.

In Dead of Night the characters die, but they do it in the third act. Of course there's no haptic challenge. But the tension level does rise.

You can't say that and not tell us more.

I'd love to, but there are more competent people for that:

blasphemoustomes.com/2016/06/21/episode-81-good-friends-tremble-dead-night/

reddit.com/r/nosleep/comments/3iex1h

From the lighthouse threads:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flannan_Isles_Lighthouse#Mystery_of_1900

These are fucking great, wish there was some real world basis though.

Not sure about this idea...
You know in most horror games the PCs are squishy humans, susceptible to going insane or easily dying, what if instead of this too staid presumption the PCs are near demigod in power. They are empowered through a super soldier program, injected with biochemicals or angel blood and undergo rigorous combat training and failsafe protocols are in place.

This is the reason why supernatural entities are rarely heard about, rarely seen.

Ok?

Just play WoD.

That article told me nothing and did nothing to sell the system to me.

>The pcs are meant to be investigating these disappearences in the woods...they start seeing staircases, just staircases out in the woods.
>Some are wood, some are metal, some are spiraling.
I think I read this on reddit.

Anyone have theories on this? Best theory I think I've heard is a rogue wave. But why would all three of them be out? I know they could be breaking the rules, but would they?

>Two repairing the railway, or some other issues down at the landing.
>Third was in the lighthouse, sees rogue wave
>Rushes down to the landing to warn the others who can't hear him over the storm
>All three swept to sea.

Also explains why one set of oilskins weren't worn despite the weather, as the last man was rushing down in a hurry.

You did, it was linked up thread.

That is kind of what I was thinking, one was trying to help the others, but for some reason my brain always jumped to one or two was rushing to help the other(s) after whatever happened which would mean a failed rescue attempt and stuff. Your explanation makes more sense to me. Too bad they didn't have walkie talkies or this may have been avoided, or at the very least one would be around to explain what happened.

It's not an article, you missed the podcast. Download link at the top of the page. No scripts.

Oh man. The word Episode should really have tipped me off. Oops.

Who here has read this?

That was a good idea at least

Don't get me wrong, I don't think reddit is full of terrible things. Just occasionally like when I made a joke about a picture of a group being a lie because it had girls in it and I got a million negative internet points.

That being said I should have read the thread more because the link to the story was posted later.

>But the tension level does rise.
Tell me how Dead of Night builds and releases tension.

Releasing the tension is also important.

Tell me about character creation. How does it compare to Dread's leading questions ?

Convince me that it's worth my time to listen to an hour long podcast just to see if a system is any good.

At least written reviews let me skim through them to see if there is anything interesting enough to read the full review.

>Convince me that it's worth my time to listen to an hour long podcast just to see if a system is any good.
Dude what? Listen to like the first ten or twenty minutes and if it doesn't grab you, drop it. Listen to it while you're driving to work or doing chores or something, do you really need to devote your full attention to a podcast to absorb the information?

hey, I know that magic! en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Icelandic_magical_staves
it is specifically used to guide people through bad weather.
P.S. don't do magic. please?

You are weak, your bloodline is weak and you will never survive the winter.

Maybe I will if I you gave some detail about it. But so far all you've said is 'its good' without going into detail beyond saying that the PCs are guaranteed to survive until the third act.

You didn't answer my question about how the game lowers tension. I view having a cycle of increasing tension followed by release as a good thing. Tension that only rises, not so much.

You didn't answer my question about character creation.

So far I've heard nothing interesting about Dead of Night that makes me want to know more.

I'm not the guy that mentioned Dead of Night, I'm just amazed that you think your time is so valuable that you insist someone convince you to listen to an hour long podcast.

Partly it is because I won't have the free time I need to pay attention to the podcast for a few days.

Partly it's because when I see someone saying that product x is better than product y without saying why x is better, it almost always means that x is really worse.

You sound like a really fun person. Can definitely sympathize with the dude literally just asking "Why is this game good, what does this game do that another doesn't, tell me fucking anything other than 'listen to this dank podcast, ya jabroni.' "

Put them in a day to day office life. Have them searching constantly for any horror, but leave them only with mind numbing mundanity.

Here's a review for that Dead of Night that makes it sound... pretty overcomplicated for a "pocket" rpg

rpg.net/reviews/archive/11/11841.phtml

Like the Laundry Files?

America falls to horrors from beyond the veil, New England survives because a sufficient number of colonial-era structures have wards, due to pilgrims being the right combination of superstitious and hypocritical.

More?

This is actually not a bad idea, you should definitely go into more detail.

Why can't you guys just build upon that?

That's all I've got, sorry. What with the rest of the country being a nightmarish hellscape, society would undergo drastic changes. Occultism would come back with a vengeance since it saved their collective bacon.

My fantasy rpg setting is sort of conventionally gory, then the main crux of the plot should lead the players north to the tundra where things will get really John Carpenter on them. Eventually the north end of this world seems unending, extending farther than it should for the spherical world they know they exist on. As they progress futher theyl find that the north has become a nexus point between their world and a hostile alien one. Eventually they will realize that their entire solar system exists inside a single massive room, itself a single space within an unending Blame! tier geigerworld structure, which itself is a single living organism. Then they should end up leaving the organism to find that it too is just a simple creature in a hugely upscaled ecosystem, and the moment they realize this, said creature is instantly devoured by a much larger predator.

Just reminds me of Fallen London, really.

Is that the one where zee bats steal London and plunge into the bowels of the world?

What a poorly written review.

Eddy Webb blogs about his process of discovering the game while admitting to never having run it. It's the one-eyed leading the blind, and the one eyed seems salty for some reason. He keeps mentioning he'll get to things later in the review but never does. The pocket format edition was the first release, 2e has been reworked entirely. He completely misunderstood the threat level's function and realized himself that he didn't understand other rules. Several times he is displeased with the references to horror flicks, in the review of a game that sets out to recreate horror flicks. 2e is full of excellent fake movie posters ffs.

About the only thing he gets right is the basic mechanics of attributes and conflict rolls. He seems to navaer have seen the game run, he's completely oblivious of its dynamic. It's like reviewing Dread by complaining about unrealistic monsters and how Jenga is for children.

Here's my review:

The game is so simple, you can play it in the car. It does only one thing and that is tell a B-movie horror story. The GM sets a threat level that increases and assigns survival points which count as health, Fate points, and PvP ammo. The characters are sketched out in 4 opposed attribute scales which can be expanded upon with specializations (=skills).

This means that the game is fast and not precise. It is centered around tension and the increase of that tension is in the rules in several ways. Most importantly for the victims (=PCs) their survival points will make them unkillable early on and glass cannons towards the end. It is a horror movie game and the book offers a lot of great genre advice.

Along with Dread and DRYH, this definitely belongs in any indie horror collection. It's great for conventions or to fill a session between campaigns. It does not do epic stories or surviving characters. It is not a generic system. This is a horror machine, and a good one at that.

Fucking more

WE CAN CAST IF WE WANT TO
WE CAN LEAVE OLD SPELLS BEHIND
'COZ OLD SPELLS DON'T CAST AND IF THEY DON'T CAST,
WELL THEY'RE NO SPELLS OF MINE

p.s. cast frequently and often to build your magical power
SEE HOW STUPIDLY INANE THAT LOOKS?

H̤̹̪͍̖̰o̦̫̤r͎̙̳̹̲̙r͕̬̰̟͓̺o̮̦͕̻͖̭ͅr̛̤̹̙͙̖̯ͅ ̥̖Aḍ͉͎̖̭̞̰v̱͍̺̪͍e̝̫͖ń̞̲t͏͇͚u̱̻̲͇̹̫r̼̘e̴͇̻̺̺̖ ̝͈͖͡I̧̜̳̰̩d̖͉̠͙̫̳ͅe̴̞̗̫̺̦̞a͕̺͕͢s̻̩̙͙

H̷͈͕̪o͕͢r̫͜r̲͔̺̞̞̬͈o̢͇͍͙r͍̬̺͍ ̸̼̮̥͍̙̱̯A͔͓̞̼̯̜d̼̝̦̰͇ͅv͉e͖̭̠̕n̺͝t̥u̳͍̻̹̩̹r̹͈̖e̫̫̖̳̫ ̜̭̼I̧̘͉̭̣d̘̺̘̙̠͍e͈̱̪ą͉̩̟s̟͕͇̦̭̫͈

Ḩ̘͇̝̱͔̼̣ó̜r̨͏̘̤̟̠͙͙̼̬r̨͓͠ͅo̙̼͈ͅr̡̭͔̝̻̯ ̛͉̞̟͖̯́ͅA̷̰̜̻̼͎͝ͅd͎͈̤̼̯͡v̸̗̻͓̝̭͚̕e̲͔̥̭͝n̟̣͇̤͖̞̹͢ͅt҉̙̙̩u̩͉̙̟̞̪̗̰͞ṟ̖͡ȩ̨͎̮̬͇͎͖ ̤̦̹̺̀͘͜I̧̙̘͖̜̭̯͕d̻͍̟̻͕̞͘͢e̴҉̺̙a̵̪͙̱͔̲̘͡s͍̣͔͙̖

H̪̥̜͎͉̕ó̰̙͙̺͍̮̘̪r̤̩̫͞ŕ͔̺͉͚̳̩͉̞o̪̯̭̲̫̠͍͇͜r̡̠̦ ̺͖̜͚̖̬Á̴̳̹̫̦̫͇̩̫d̜̙̘̼͈̥v̧҉͚̹̠ḛ̼͔̜̙̻͔n̴̖̰͈̳͇̬͍̰t̤̜̗̟͓̞̺͉u̠̮̗̗ͅr̵̳͎̦̭͉̯̬̪̦̀e̶̫̠̜̞̞͎̬͞ ̰̀͠Į͎̞d̩è̴̙a̧̬̫̘̺̰s̯̯͓͕͇̤͚͘̕͠

Ḩ̥͈͋̂ͯ̅̓ͮ̌͝ȯ̷́҉̦̰̼̀ͅṙ̼̙̳̗̱̫͕͓̽ͨ̽̂̒͟r̨͔̺̿͋ͮ̎ó̴͚̈̄̈ͤ̚r̀̀̅̇͋͏͔̝͞ ̵̴̺̱̜͛ͧ͐͂͆A̘̰̮ͤ͑ͭͤ̔̆̄̚ͅd̪̯̩̟̱̼͙̲͛̿̌ͫ͆̽̈̏v̱̹͕͑ͪ̇e̛͙͇̙̤̗̩͎̫ͭ͊ͧ͒̅͆̚͘ͅnͦ̋ͫ̉̋͌ͦ̚͏҉̟̟̝ţ̟̞͖̅ͮͦ͗̉̕ͅu̢͕̤͓̤̍͒̒͛ͩ͆̿͊̈͠ͅṙ̶̘͔̮͚̫͒ͬ͑̎̓ͩe̫̫̰̣̞͕̿ͦͤ̈ͤ̔̏͑̚ ̴͚̬͇̜̇̾ͦ͊̍́̑͗Ì̠̘̱͖͉̹̺̩̇̿͑̓ͨ͜d̟̣͙̭͚̹̿̒͊̽͐͛͗ͅé̢̬͍̖̰͗ả̵͖̩̲͖͍͍̋̆̇ͭ̔̓́͠s̷̻̝̒̕

H̷̜͕͙̦̮̺̣̬̺͚̼̰̥͓͇̻̫̯͈ͪͫ̀̋̉̀̚͝ǒ͂̌ͮ̈͋͋͐̉ͣͩͣͤ̄͋͂̍͗҉̯͇̪̺̭̤̭̞r̎̀ͣ͋̃ͣ̑̅͒͌̚͢͏̘̺̭̟̭͉͎̥̳̱͘͘ͅr̸̵̡͓̮̺̭̄̓̀̏̐̓̔̚͢o̎͛̆̊̇̑͋͋ͬ̚͏̺̹͎̠̯͍͔́͘͟ŗ̸̼̤͕̱͉̟̺̼̺̣̝̜̣̻͉̭̺̺̇̈̈́ͦͭ̄ͪ̎͑̿̑̽ͦ̌̚ ̵̴̡̧̼̜͕͔͔̥͙̠̭̠̮͉̘͔̾̅͗͛Aͧ͐̐͆̿̽̒̌̓ͭ̑̍͂͌͏̸͠҉͇̝͇̼̼̞͇̣̲̙̣͠d̴̡̤̳̰̭͖͆̑̉́́̚͡v̞̪̞̲̱̙̞̬̞͆ͩ͗͌ͬ͊̈́̽́̀̚͜͠e̷̪̼̞̲̰͕̟̝͉̫̙̖̟͓͙̥͗ͯ̆̊̾ͯ͑̓̃́̚͢͞ͅn̍̒ͮ̊̅̊̍̿́́͏͔͚̜͖̦̬̣͙̹̦̮̥̱̙͍̦͉͍t̵̪̺̱̞̱͔͕̭̦̻̻̫̰͉̠͎̰̍̊ͯ̕͠͠uͮ͊̍̒̉̂̒̏͌͒͑̅̀͛̅̓́̌̚҉̙͓̻̣́ŗ̶̫̺̟̲̬̖̦̜͇̑ͧ̔̇͐̌̐̒͌̐̓͌͞ͅe̵̴͙̪͚͔̜̻̊̄̋ͧ̆ͧͩ́͂̅͒̾̎̆̅̈́ ̴̸̒ͭͯͭͦͧ̾̑҉̸̻̞͉͎͓̗͓͚̲̬Iͩ̅͆ͨ́̇ͣ̈́̐̏͏͖̪̬̭̱͇̰̮͚̻͍̹ḑ̨̠̻̯͇ͭͨ̔ͬ̅ͪ͑̾̐̃́̿̂͝e̷̶͔̭̙̭̟̋ͧ̽̾͒̋̑̃̓͊ͯ̽ͮ̐͗͛̌́͠͝ḁ̷̶̴͙̣̮̮͉̝̻̜̃̃̿̇ͪ͋̂̑̿̄̄͆̅̄̀s̷͎͎̫̮̮̮̻̺̹̞̠̟̻̜̋͛ͩ̏ͮ̈̆̉̑͂̋̍̽̒͠