Pathfinder General /pfg/

Pathfinder General /pfg/
If you would like assistance with character optimization, please mention which third-party sources are allowed.

How degenerate are your games? Any furry tails?

N. Jolly's vigilante book playtest: docs.google.com/document/d/1Hrk1hl8uXVHazaiPOCvWsFUHX3PB6fQVd13tzguJTgE/edit?usp=sharing

Unified /pfg/ link repository: pastebin.com/iYhDNSTq

Please search for the unerrata'd content here:
web.archive.org/web/http://www.d20pfsrd.com/

Previous Thread:

Hasn't the play test been done for a week?

>How degenerate are your games? Any furry tails?

What do you consider degenerate?

Mad Scientist Alchemist
>Alters alchemy and replaces the 2nd-level discovery to be able to deal Wisdom damage (or sanity damage if using the sanity rules) to create a special extract as one of her daily extracts of 1st through 5th level; when used, it has a random effect of an extract from Advanced Player's Guide one level higher than the slot in which it was prepared, but which it is is completely random.

>Alters mutagen and replaces the 4th-level discovery to be able to create a special mutagen whose exact effects are undecided until drunk (including things like whether or not it's a cognatogen), being able to pick and choose as desired, but they also take Wisdom damage (or sanity damage if using it) upon imbibing it, and if someone who isn't the creator drinks it (even other alchemists) they need to make a Will save or be confused for an hour.

Experimenter Vigilange
>Alters class skills to add all Knowledge skills as class skills.

>Alters armor and weapon proficiency to lose proficiency with martial weapons, medium armor, and shields.

>Replaces vigilante specialization for the ability to gain a scaling bonus to Craft (alchemy) and Knowledge (engineering), the ability to create a mutagen as if they were an alchemist of their vigilante level, and can choose to take alchemist discoveries that affect his mutagen (including cognatogens) in place of vigilante talents, and when under certain conditions, must make a Will save or gain the benefits of their mutagen without actually consuming their mutagen for a number of rounds, being confused for the duration, and remembering nothing of what happened while under this affect, as well as becoming fatigued afterwards.

>Replaces 1st-level social talent for the ability to consume their mutagen and shift into their vigilante identity as a full-round action.

>Replaces unshakeable for Brew Potions, treating vigilante level as caster level, can use Craft (alchemy) instead of Spellcraft for making potions, and can use another potion of the same spell as the necessary spell without consuming the other potion.

>Replaces startling appearance for the bard's lore master class feature.

>Replaces frightening appearance for Craft Construct as a bonus feat, again treating their vigilante level as their caster level, and can use Knowledge (engineering) in place of Spellcraft to craft constructs.

>Replaces stunning appearance for the ability to have their mutagen last for an hour per level.

>when under certain conditions, must make a Will save or gain the benefits of their mutagen without actually consuming their mutagen for a number of rounds, being confused for the duration, and remembering nothing of what happened while under this affect, as well as becoming fatigued afterwards.

Another archetype ruined.

That looks like crap.

Sounds a bit like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, except for the Craft Construct feat.

Wasn't there already a jekyll and hyde archetype?

Why is Aqua such a crybaby?

Have you posted any of the occultist archetypes yet?

>go to look at racial feats to see if there's anything worth mentioning in a guide
>realize tengu actually have a ton of cool looking feats... except they're all 1/day
>meanwhile other races get at-wills for exactly the same shit, and they're often functionally better too
>the only race that gets shafted harder is kobolds, by virtue of being fucking kobolds
>the Drow Noble feat chain exists. AT ALL.

Looking through anything this game has to offer always ends with me laughing at how wildly inconsistent and poorly put together shit is. Then I get disappointed that nobody will ever go back and fix it.

Well there is the Master Chymist PrC that does the same theme. Damien the Iconic Alchemist takes levels in it.

The Brute Vigilante is more Hulk. But Hulk was inspired by the story, so whatever.

>Occultist gets the haunt collector and talisman crafter archetypes.

Talisman Crafter
>Creates implements that are talisman and wards made of esoteric geometry.

>Talismanic Implements means the crafter doesn’t get normal implements; he spends 1 hour crafting a number of small talismans, inscribing them with seals and investing them with power to serve as her implements for casting occultist spells.

>Spellbound Talisman are small tokens he crafts with psychic spells that normally affect one or more target creatures and expends a spell slot. The talisman crafter can hurl this prepared talisman as a standard
action ; replaces magic item skill and object reading.

>Shared Talisman allows a talisman crafter to expend 1 point of generic mental focus to create a spellbound talisman that anyone can activate; replaces shift focus.

>Warding Seal is an inscribed glyph with psychic energy, a psychic spell he knows that affects one or more creatures; replaces aura sight and the focus powers normally gained at 5th and 17th levels.

>Actually even a normal occultist can pass out implements to other party members to grant that ally resonant benefits; but only talisman crafters (among occultists, anyway) can give allies their spells to activate!

Haunt Collector
>The haunt collector gets seance boons (from the medium class) instead of a resonate power.

>So think of a medium mixed with an occultist in a way...

>They do not get anything else other than that, but the two archetypes take up a full two pages.

Aww, Talisman Crafter doesn't look too good. What a pity.

Why are Kobolds so fucking ugly and shitty to play as? Why would you play as a Kobold when you could be a glorious Lizardman and be the hero you were always meant to be? Seriously, when we gonna get more shit for Lizardmen?

Do you allow catfolk?

Are Ioun Torches overpowered?

They are cheap and incredibly useful, why would you ever consider using torches and other illumination methods when you can just touch your crystal and have it glow and hover around you like some final fantasy shit leaving your hands free.

Because kobolds have all the fetishes and scalies obsessed with them because they're small scrappy cock-sleeves that always get picked on for being small and hideous.

Lizardfolk are big buff assholes that bully around other races and look swole.

>Fool's Errand on Steelfist Commando
This is how punching was meant to be.

Sure. If it's not played for fetish or weebshit catgirls.

Yes, and like with Aasimar and Tieflings I've given them numerous sub-races.

Lion-folk for example are +2 Str +2 Cha -2 Int, perfect for Paladins.

Can a source of light really be considered overpowered

Well, they're probably not 100% Imperium-approved, and furry tails do pop up now and again. But our GM is a pretty cool guy who manages to ride the ragged edge between stupid and amazing while actually doing some very thoughtful worldbuilding, so we never really focus on the degeneracy.

Unless it's pretty gosh darn cute, but even then, we save it for end-of-session RP or downtime.

>Why would you play as a Kobold when you could be a glorious Lizardman and be the hero you were always meant to be? Seriously, when we gonna get more shit for Lizardmen?

>Why do nerds obsess over the ugly little monsters with persecution complexes and need to use their *towering intellect* to bring down the big mean humans

It's like asking why basement dwellers like Dwarves.

Because torches are much cheaper?

But how the shit is a lighting source overpowered? Just make it so your magic sword glows and spend zero gp on it.

I just want to be a cute gecko person, is that so much to ask for?

Why did they have to put Rovagug at the core of Golarion? Why not just on another plane?

Because the gods are as smart as the writers. So not very smart at all.

Because it's really fucking easy to get to or leave another plane.

This is another shorter playtest for some of the horror archetypes since I was given more time to write (which is always a terrible thing).

Rovagug would crash the plane with no survivors, and Asmodeus's creation plan lists him, Sarenrae, Erastil and Calistria.

Rovagug's a big guy.

He is technically in a demiplane, it's just situated at the heart of Golarion.
As for why, god reasons.

Yes, it's way too much to ask for.

Kobolds have been infested by shitty fetishes and even shittier players with incredibly predictable backstories longer than goblins.

This

God I currently have a kobold rogue in a game I'm in. And it has that stupid maid talent and calls itself a master of disguise. It's shitty and tries too hard to be cute, also the plaer does not stop to talk about how his cutebold is actually very expierienced and knows how to handle larger races.
He also spams shitty cutebold pics in chat.

Both this and mad scientist alchemist made me have to change stuff in my book (my mad scientist is now Alchemical Scoundrel), but I still like my take on doing this more, so it's going to stay in the book unless the editor tells me to boot it for being too similar.

>and knows how to handle larger races.

You and I both know he's referring to the kobold's ability to take medium-sized dick with this statement.

God, and their origins are always the same, aren't they? The goblin picked up by a traveling Paladin, or the Kobold that somehow befriends an alchemist, it's obnoxious.

How shit is monk for a casual (read: limited-to-no powergaming) group?

Nah she was actually the runt of her clan and everyone hated her, so she left to become a big adeventurer thief.
It's less than a paragraph of backstory.

Oh I know what he meant by the statement. The ugly thing keeps hitting on the half-orc barbarian.

>Fool's Errand on Driven Disciple

Lightning Strikes Twice + Explosive Finisher lets me literally do that thing where they Rider Kick the baddies and *then* they explode. It's glorious. Totally worth the feat.

Eh it works but really play a brawler instead

non newfag in this board but to this game.

Can you guys help me with this? my GM barely played the game with other GMs and told him that if you multiclass, you cant go back to a previous class you already invested levels into. For example, if i go Gunslinger 1 and then i go fighter 1, i cant level up gunslinger anymore.

Is that true? the book doesnt say anything about this. I cant find anthing in official FAQs, only in forums and my GM is skeptical

That's bullshit.

i know but my gm is kinda....a simple man. to say the least. Anyone knows where i can get something like official RAW rules or FAQ that say something about this?

If it's not mentioned in the Rules it isn't a rule. Simple as that.

>tfw never got really into TTRPGs or fantasy stuff in general until the past few years
>everything is still really fresh and new to me and I don't have a frame of reference for what's been done a gorillion times
>mfw seeing something that sounds fun, then immediately finding out it's stuff everyone hates because it's been done to death
>often in the most obnoxious fashions possible, making the whole problem worse
>tieflings, kobolds, drow, etc all have obnoxious stereotypes

Just fuck me up senpai

The problem is that he barely know english and in the spanish traduction of the book he owns, the writing is complete bananas and can be understand like you can only take new levels in your current class or in a new class. Not that you can continue with a earlier class.

What school of magic do you guys associate with Druids? And, if it matters, particularly with plant/tree magic?

For some homebrew setting thing. A magical school that trains a fluff-stripped version of Magaambyan spellcasters. Treehugging wizards basically. But the nation the school is in has eight schools, one for each school of magic, so yeah. Trying to figure which to join it to

Which class makes the best Stalker?

Well if you look at guides you will see that dipping exists. Taking a level or more in a different class for some abilities and then returning to your base class.

Paladin Dwarf with the Stonelord Archetype, no third party books involved, we start at level 3 with 3000 golds and a bonus (free) feat Skill Focus, 25 point buy.

We are going to "start" a RotL campaign (starting from just before thirsteltop)

how would you build him, Veeky Forums?

That sounds terrible, especially the random mutagen.

Tieflings and Drow are fun, the stereotypes are there but people just use the memes as a one-off joke before you give their "real" personality and backstory.

Kobolds are unforgivable because, unlike Tieflings and Drow, they're almost universally played by fetishists and have such a limited backstory that you're essentially pigeon-holed into a very specific character type.

Getting Glory of Old and Steel Soul.
Otherwise doesn't matter.

sigh...

thanks anyway, well see what i can do

create a special mutagen whose exact effects are undecided until drunk (including things like whether or not it's a cognatogen)

>and when under certain conditions, must make a Will save or gain the benefits of their mutagen without actually consuming their mutagen for a number of rounds, being confused for the duration, and remembering nothing of what happened while under this affect, as well as becoming fatigued afterwards.

I can't tell which one of these archetypes is shittier. Who the fuck wrote this garbage?

>drow
>not 100% played by fetishists

The age of Drizz't is over, bro.

...If I had to guess, probably a Stalker?

The last Drow I played with was a cute country girl raised by humans.

I'll admit it was a lewd campaign, but she was very sweet.

I'm in a group playing through Path of the Righteous. Most of our group has decided to do Superhero themed characters. For example, we have a Captain America-like character that focuses on grappling and shields. We also have a Bloodrager that Hulks out, and "Eidolon Man" our summoner.

So far the campaign is pretty cool. None of us have played it before, but we are wrecking it.

My character is a bit of a frankenstein build, with Paladin, Cleric, Inheritor's Crusader, and Holy Vindicator, with the Guardian mythic path. I'm focusing mainly on buffing up myself and the party, then moving in and dealing massive damage with 2 handers. It's working pretty well so far, and I feel like I'm keeping up with my friend's super optimized hero builds. I think I will continue to keep up with them too, as the additional Holy Vindicator levels will scale my sacred bonuses appropriately and give me more cleric caster levels to work with.

Wood school.

One of my players played a Kobold who was a slave of a Dwarven clan who was eventually sold off to a mine manager because he was so adapt at building explosives. He eventually gained his freedom with the help of a cleric of Saint Cuthbert and he eventually converted and became a Paladin of the God of Wisdom.

Now he's climbing the Tower of New Ages to face Kyuss and stop the Age of Worm while wielding the Mace of Saint Cuthbert, having earned it by settling an internal schism inside the church between the LG/LN and the minor LE sect, having brought them together to oppose Kyuss.

How you guys see Gunslinger 7 / swashbuckler 3+? its a campaign with early renaissance setting where guns are not very common but enough to be seen in populated zones.

Will play like a cover for my team (mainly melee) with some melee capabilities myself. I took gunslinger 1 with musket master and plan to take 1 level in swashbuckler next game day, but im unsure if i should take daring infiltrator, insipred blade or no archetype at all.

I think that insipred blade is a no because restricts a lot my options and my GM usually fucks us with unexpected encounters so maybe i can end with no rapier or gun and then im stuck with a weapon i have no bonus with.

I think daring infiltrator can be good because we usually do a lot of behind the scenes footwork, but im unsure if its worth losing diplomacy and profession

Kobold Paladin is about as overplayed as Goblin Paladin, user.

It's taking the scrappy hated underdog and giving them *all the Charisma* and *all the nobility* because they're just that good.

> Gunslinger 7 / swashbuckler 3+?
STOP

FUCKING STOP

why? im a newfag here

Man, I'm really lucky my group was originally 3.5 players. Our kobolds tend to be dragon-worshippers or arrogant little dragonmen, instead of the fetish shit.

I've got to admit, I haven't heard of it before.
>goblin paladin
The fuck?

And he's far from charismatic and noble. Following Saint Cuthbert, he's a mouthy little cunt who not only has no time for your tomfoolery and he's not opposed to laying a few people out if it gets the lesson across.

>How you guys see Gunslinger 7 / swashbuckler 3+

holy shit guys, stop with the memes, im a newfag at pathfinder. why is that bad idea? i think both class have good synergy and i always like rapier + gun play

Both classes are fuckterrible.
Swashbuckler is the single worst PC class in the whole game and guns have such shitty mechanics you can't use them without crying tears of blood, while gunslinger focuses on them.

Those are the two worst classes in the game and one of the worst combat styles.

Using any non-advanced firearm is already shooting yourself in the foot. Your DPR is less than a bow. You're ammo costs more than a bow. It's harder to find weapons. You need feats JUST to full attack. DR fucks you in the ass. And your build takes several levels too long to come online. And that's just being a fucking gunslinger, not getting into multiclassing.

Swashbucklers have shit action economy. Sword and gun also means you're gonna need TWF, which is also feat intensive.

My advice, roll up a Savage technologist.

Beg you GM to let you retrain into eithe savage technologist 2

Not that guy, but to elaborate: Swashes focus on a poor combat style (one-handed sword, so you don't get the defensive bonuses of swordan boardan or the damage boost of two-handing) and a lot of its combat options require a swift action, which you only get one of per turn.

Guns are expensive, have misfire rules (which are fucking retarded), don't have a reliable way of getting stat to damage, iirc, and gunslinger is also a swift-dependent class. Also, dual wielding rapiers and guns is pretty incompatible with swashbuckler.

Adding onto that, never take Gunslinger past 5 or swashbuckler past 1. Dex to damage with guns and acceleration of Dex to Damage with your melee are all they are good for

>Beg you GM to let you retrain into eithe savage technologist 2
Derp, was gonna make a short post then decided to go into detail.

Either beg your GM to let you retrain into Savage Technologist or take take Trench Fighter 3/Unchained Rogue X. Get Dex to Damage with a Rapier and your gun. Get bonus feats towards getting good with guns and twf.

You'll eat shit, but slightly less shit.

Just kill yourself and him, man. You'll be doing the world a favor. Lock the doors on game night, douse everyone in gasoline, and light the place up.

Isnt deadshot good? what about shooting to the wings of aerial monsters with the aim deed? all my party is melee with no mages

and, why is swashbuckler so bad? it can use a buckler AND a defensive parrying dagger with all the deeds and bonus if i dont use them in an attack. i did some math and didnt see it so bad with things like fencing grace and precise strike

Posting in /pfg/.

Because her stats are so shitty.

How do I make a DOOM like experience? Yes it has to be Pathfinder, its for one player

What're the best classes and archtypes for going against demons and evil in general? Paladin and Cleric of course, but is there anything a little more interesting?

Alchemist to poison demons.

Darkest Timeline, Post Iron Gods, everyone a Savage Technologist it Initiator.

Rip and Tear

>savage technologist OR Initiator
I hate this phone

Wrath of the Righteous
Gestalt Savage Technologist/Brawler
Rip and Tear

Aren't demons immune to poison?

>Darkest Timeline
?

The Celestial Poisons Discovery allows you to ignore the poison immunities of undead and evil outsiders.

Joke from Community

It's where all APs failed, The Worldwound spilled over, Numeria was eventually overwhelmed by Demons steeling tech and becoming Cyberdemons

Rip and Tear

What the fuck is Community?

Bloodrager with the Celestial bloodline could be interesting.

That would be interesting. Going to look into it.

Think with the Hexenhammer archetype Inquisitor will be able to be a upper Tier 2 since he will have access to Witch spells and hexes ?

Something that started as a joke, but user decided to at least make some headway on.

No, that's just the bad end for WotR.

Darkest Timeline is EVERY AP has failed. Elves are extinct, Xotani the Firebleeder is running wild, Mhar has awakened, winter is coming, AND the demons are running rampant across Golarion.

No, because it replaces most of your class abilities with abilities that make you lose your other class abilities for using them.

>shitty hexcrafter-knockoff with LIMITED USE HEXES
>"is it good?"

No

TV show about going to community college. Actually pretty good and they did a couple episodes about DnD. In the second, a racist asian barges into the game in drowface.

i think swashbuckler unchained with the buccaneer style would work here

Do you have a PDF of fighter unchained?