Space Marine Creation: Fluff for the Fluffless

There's a lot of "Veeky Forums rolls up a Space Marine Chapter" threads that pop up, and while they're fun, there's a shit ton of Chapters that have next to no fluff already in the canon. So I thought it might be fun to fluff some of these chapters out. Its a good place to kick around those half-baked ideas you've had for a chapter, or if you want to come up with something new. Hell, you could even use the tables to quickly get some ground fluff out if you want. A good number of these Chapters are literally just a name with nothing attached, so there's plenty of room for creativity!

Other urls found in this thread:

1d4chan.org/wiki/Expanded_Minor_Chapters
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/309546-index-astartes-successor-chapters-gallery/
wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Terror_Tigers
wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Death_Company_Dreadnought
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

There's about 193 chapters including the ones fluffed out last thread on this list. The chapters from last thread that received most of the love are here 1d4chan.org/wiki/Expanded_Minor_Chapters

And here's a shit ton of canon chapter color schemes bolterandchainsword.com/topic/309546-index-astartes-successor-chapters-gallery/

I'm also a Drawfag, and will try to get every chapter some art and some Death watch rules

We need to do Twilight Swords and it really needs to be Blood Angels.

Scout heavy and obsessed with hunting.

Maybe lots of little fortresses on their homeworld and they live amongst the populace Salamanders style.

Due to the gene-seed making them all look at least a little like the Martyred Angel they have a devout but, in their eyes, unwholesome following from many mortal women. They think it's fucking creepy.

Are there scouts aloud in Death Companies?

Very interesting! Nice source of contention you don't see often with space marines.

Is here a Gaston-like brother among them?

I'm guessing there is alot of trophies that they wear into battle that range from all over the galaxy especially among the veterans of the chapter with the younger marines only hsaving local fauna on their persons.

This allows room for self improvement and a drive to succeed and advance for all of them.

mump

Ah the Ex-sanguinitors chapter they remind me of a your dudes thread a while back with someone showing off the custom chapter: the Chipotera Astra or Space Bats.

One of my favorite parts was that they start out incredibly beautiful but become uglier and uglier as time went on until they are all looking like Nosferatu and Strigoi-like.

They were the same problem as blood drinkers, don't they? Honestly, I'm surprised there aren't more "space animal" chapters out there

No they were apparently more Vampires! in space. They even rode giant bats and had Sister allies as not!wives of Dracula.

That's mostly retarded

There's a BAngles successors called the Red Wings that would be good for making space vampies

Rolled 125 (1d193)

rollan

Drawfag here, got any idea on what they would look like? Would you like a scout or a marine?

Writefag here, looking to do the Warmongers chapter. So far my current idea is a Raven Guard successor with a flawed gene seed that makes them prone to bouts of hyper-violence. They'd be based in the Segmentum Pacificus and help suppress the Macharian Heresy. Their strengths would be close-combat, and trying to minimize the use of heavy weapons so they can 'get to grips with the enemy'.

Good start so far?

Do they forgo stealth like the Black Guard, or do they use assault marines for quick ambushes and stuff?

Sounds good so far

As much as I would hate to over-load the thread.

Could we take a look at the White Templars as well?
Seems odd a chapter with such obvious heraldric ties to the Black Templars would be so starkly different and an actual chapter.

So what caused this?

I'd like to know more about this guy.
He doesn't look like a Thousand Son.

Possibly a schism that led to the White Templars creation?

Maybe they thought that psykers (Imperial ones) were'nt all that bad after working with them enough times?

There is a number of possible reasons, lets think them out.

Perhaps a question of faith early on in the Templars campaigns?

Astartes who didn't venerate the emperor as the BT do.

How are they different from the Black Templars?
Are the tactics different?

Assault marines for quick ambushes, with an emphasis on going in hard and fast. Camo isn't so much frowned upon as it is seen as something that will let them get into CQC easier.

They're essentially a fusion of Raven Guard ambushes and surgical strikes with World Eaters-tier ferocity and violent outbursts.

AFAIK anyone who falls into the Black Rage gets booted into the Death Company, Scouts and Dreadnoughts(?) included

>Dreadnoughts(?) included
Fuck, that's really sick. How come that never happens in canon?

Probably not to different though smaller initial numbers and younger age meant they had to fall in line with the codex astartes than they would have liked to.

Regardless they sucked it up and continued being Emperor fearing quasi-gods and kicking ass to all mutants, heretics and xenos.

what stops them from going full khorne?

My Lord Marshall reports are coming in from the underhive, there are at least ten new riots ocurring as of now with an estimated total rioters at around 100 to 200 million.

WHAT!!!!!!!!!! Those filthy degenerates after all that we did for them and this is how they repay us!?!?! Get the 1st through 3rd Companies
ready and get the heavt suppression equipment ready.

This time no more nice Marines...

I would assume meditation and self control training would be very common in addition to hypno indoctrination.

They don't go the same level of RIP AND TEAR as World Eaters would or Death Company BA. They're definitely toeing the line of what is acceptable, however. Which is why they're fleet-based and tend to operate on their own.

Terror Tigers

A chapter hailing from the 4th founding of the White Scars Chapter the Terror Tigers are what one would expect from such a name.

Terror tactics and psyops are incredibly common for the chapter especially against traitor guard or unruly planetary populations.

Though this was not always the case, infact research shows that the use of terror warfare only became widespread around somewhere in m35 in the Veetman Sector during its Secession from the Imperium. In the beginning o the conflict the Terror Tigers (Then the Tigers Resplendant) usual tactics were simply ineffective against the local populace and were unable to root out the subversive elements quickly or thoroughly enough. This wold come to a head when Chapter Master ****** was killed and succeeded by 1st Captain ****** who instead changed the Chapter strategies to give no quarter or mercy to the locals whether they were rebel or moderate.

TBC.

>Brother-Marshall Koluski, you were meant to rot out corruption, not dismantle the entire planetary government! The High Lords are riding my ass on this!
>Give me just two more centuries, Lord, I'm three bolts away from cracking this heresy wide open!

>Terror Tigers
weren't those the guys who almost got wiped out by mutants?

Could be an attempt by the Templars to legion-ize themselves, creating a puppet chapter to act as their sternguard or some shit. As if they needed larger numbers

The Benedictors Chapter is regarded as one of the most friendly all loving and downright personable of all Space Marines in the Imperium only being rivaled by the Salamanders chapter. Exactly when such a behavior manifested is currently unknown to anyone in the know, even the Benedictors themselves are unsure.

Most commonly seen taking action with the Imperial Guard in taking or retaking planets and even on occasion aiding in reconstruction of warzones as they can.

Renowned for their cheer and likable attitueds, the Benedictors have a seemingly unsahakable optimism or the future of humanity despite how grim things maybe.

Their view of the Emperor is a rather middle ground bewtween the typical Astartes view and the mainstream Ecclisiarchial view. They see the Emperor as a being to be emluated and to adore.

Though despite their optimism and good nature the chapter has had numerous losses and even scraped with extinction at least 2 recorded times each in defense of imperial citizens against numerically and qualitativly superior foes but would rebound with the contributions those that they saved and served/fought with.

TBC

Thats it Brother-Marshall Koluski your off this case and out of this Chapter and straight to the Deathwatch... Zip Bam Pow straight to Obscurus!!!!

This has nonetheless earned the ire and suspicion of the Ordo Astartes on more than one occasion.

I'm not sure, I'll have to look nut if that is the case it would be rather ironic would'nt it.

wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Terror_Tigers

>In M41 the Terror Tigers suffered major casualties, after their Homeworld was invaded by the forces of a Mutant Warlord. After a hard fought battle, the Terror Tigers defeated the Warlord, but they had lost almost two-and a half Companies worth of their Chapter to the Mutant's forces. When he saw how ravaged his Chapter was left after their victory, the Terror Tigers' Chapter Master ordered his own execution, for his failures in dealing with the invasion

Not nearly wiped out, but lost enough that the chapter master ordered his own execution out of embarrassment

Nightwatch

... Fuck its cold up here isn't it? And here I thought iwould be able to piss off the edge of the world up here?

Yep.

Thats it "yep" you couldn't think of something a little more articulate?

You used the term "sucks" un-ironically and you accuse me of being inarticulate you piss-rinking ninny!?

Piss-drinking ninny?!?! I'll show you a ninny when I shove my chainsword so far up your--

What in the frozen fuck is going on here brothers Snow and Rivers?!?!

N-nothing Captain we were dicussing uh poetry isn't that right Rivers?

Y-yes we were Snow yes we were now where were we?

TBC

Yes. The first time people waved it off. They didn't ignore it the other times.

All that I have written up so far for the Warmongers fluff:

Few chapters better fit their name than the Warmongers, who view their duty as Space Marines to always seek out and destroy the enemies of the Imperium whether those enemies be the mutant, the witch, the heretic, or the xeno. Alleged to be a Raven Guard successor chapter from the 20th Founding, a claim disputed by the Raven Guard, the Warmongers have gained a string of battle honors and accolades from their 5,000 years of war. The Warmongers have also gained a worryingly long list of enemies including not a few other chapters that disagree with the Warmongers’ extreme methods.
The Warmongers first major action was in the Segmentum Pacificus acting as part of a relief force for the Rigelus Sector, which had come under attack from Waaagh!! Guzbuk. Their most notable action was to deploy three full companies (the 1st, 7th, and 9th) in a lightning raid on Guzbuk and his lieutenants, shattering the Orkish command structure. Reports by supporting units of uncharacteristically ferocious fighting by the Warmongers 1st Company were dismissed by Segmentum Command as, “lies, rumors, and damn close to heresy.” It would be the first of many such complaints.
Operating always in the Segmentum Pacificus, the Warmongers reputation for bloody surgical strikes was further enhanced during the suppression of the secessionist uprising on the hive world of Amalda V. Screaming from the heavens in drop pods, the Warmongers dissected the rebel commanders in a single day, hanging the bodies from the hive spires and broadcasting the final moments of the assault across the planet.

Can they have tiger stripe paint, pwetty pwease?

I dont see why not to help their terror/psyop delivery stealth is to be suited to the enviroment.

Not quite a marine chapter. But can i ask for fluff on a home brew guard army?

Whaddya mean? You want someone to fluff one? Want one with no fluff? Want one someone already fluffed?

Answer to all is I guess

i would like help to get some fluff for it,
Partly cos i get Block whenever i try.

Alright, well, what do you have so far

the Staples are.
Homeworld Lost.
Militant Population.
Inquisitorial Chamber force (? still unsure.)
Replenish their own forces by taking the dregs from everybody else. Like Blood ravens, but less Magpie. More Vultureish.

They are called the Sydonians.

Fuck, they've got a nice scheme. I'd love to help work on them, but its 3 am and my synapses are fried.

"Kaz, I'm already a Space Marine."

Probably have their homeworld in the outer rim of the galaxy

Their Outer Heavens

FUCK I JUST THOUGHT UP MORE DETAIL.
they travel far and wide.
Regiment is the 231st.
No soldier is fresh. No soldier is green.
Motto is
Urere magis aeternitatem.
nobody really knows too much in great deal on any foe.
But Everybody Knows how to fight Any Foe well.

i thought the only kiwis were the carcharodons

White Scars successors?

wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Death_Company_Dreadnought

That was a shitty Twilight joke. I must try harder.

But those ideas would add to it well.

Especially the Trophies one.

It's now a trophy obsessed chapter. They compete to deal the death blow to big things. Chaos Lord, Warboss, squiggoth or Bio-Titan are the big things they like to take out.

They are the best assassins outside the Assassinorium.

Their favourite method of long term warring is translate their ship into real space outside the system, hit full burn for a while and cut all power to everything except essentials and drift cold into the system.

Launch specialized drop pods way far out compared to what is recommended for other chapters. Almost no metallic components to the pods. It's mostly hyper diamond. It's filled with shock absorbing gel. The marines lungs are filled with oxygen saturated goop. This + normal astartes modifications allows them to slow down much latter in the descent.

That + Space Marine hibernation abilities allows them to sleep their way for months through space in one man coffins and only awaken a few hours before entering the atmosphere.

They then land in some remote place on the surface.

They then wait for months, years sometimes, for the rest of the Imperial Invasion force to turn up. They spend the time assassinating leaders and committing acts of terrorism.

By the time the Guard turn up the opposing military is hopefully decapitated, the infrastructure a smoking ruin and the populace disorganized.

think they're meant to be Polynesian, not lesser aussie

Their inclinations toward must grate on the various Generals etc they work with. Secretive and really proud must not lend many allies that they could have especially other Astartes.

Very much so.

Part the problem is that they are very hard to find and contact. When the party starts properly they just carry on taking pot shots at the big targets and leaders totally regardless of any overall strategy. Even when they are encountered they refuse to be ordered.

They tell you what they are doing and it's up to you to plan around them.

It also makes it difficult to recall them at the end of a campaign as they can go from before the festivities start all the way up to garrison and mop up time without seeing or being seen by a friendly soldier.

Recall signal is a hymn unique to the Twilight Swords that has to be broadcast telepathically by one of the Librarians.

There have been instances of Brothers being left for decades in the forests because they were missed.

>Where ever I go I must get BTFO by Night Lords

Acommon scare tactic among the Bayou Warriors is where they play a specific tune on a local stringed instrument from their homeworld across enemy vox channels. The tune keeps picking up pace over the recording which heralds their lightning fast attcks, preferably from the waters if thewy can.

There battle cry is "Squeal like Grox".

Did they? I thought they just adventured around the Ghoul Stars with their rouge trader bros

Thicc!

The Emperor's Shadows were formed in the second founding after the Horus Heresy, their Chapter Master and the majority of their battle-brothers recruited from a world where close combat and honor was emphasized greatly. These values were easily transferred over to the chapter, and the addition of the Cybernetic augments only made it easier for them to enhance their favored style of combat. Their chapter makes great use of Assault Marines and Despoiler Squads, as well as Space Marine Bikes and hold a great reverence for the wisdom of those interred in Dreadnoughts. They hold a larger than usual store of MkII and III armor, leftovers from when they were a part of the Iron Hands legion.

How's this?

But where does the shadow part come in

This might help someone.

>those Emperor's shadows
Fuck, man, they have to be one of the sexiest chapters out there

Victoria lamb? as in Victoria miniatures Victoria lamb?

Yes? Emperor's Shadows is her chapter, I believe she made them as an example in a How to Paint Space Marines book and according to her they use Black Templar rules, at least back when they had their codex.

they sound wickedly cool to play. if only the codex still got updated.

Alright, first one to reply gets to choose what chapter gets drawn next

Tormentors.

Aight, went to the drawthreads, so I've got something going on now, but I'll get on that right away

I hate this fucking helmet! It makes me look like I have duck face from sucking dicks!

Man the Armory is going to ream my ass for this.

GW does the maximus helmet as shittily as possible

I know the rest of the armor/equpment is incredible and just how space marines should be-Proud, Ornate and most of all-Deadly. I mean look at all of that detail you can tell that he worked hard for all of those decorations showing his badassery that comes with centuries of duty and hard work. Even with all of that the helmet is just that shitty that its suckiness sorta bleeds into the rest of the piece.