How do you guys deal with Demons?

How do you guys deal with Demons?

What are they really? Where do they come from? Is there a sort of Hell or Abyss in your settings, and what's it like there?

I like Exalted's take on demons the most. They're weird, fucked up alien beings with personality disorders, who live inside a set of bigger, even more fucked up alien beings with worse personality disorders. They're not inherently evil, but they are dangerous to mortals. Blue and orange morality, in other words.

they are the immaterial manifestation of mankind collective sapience. People "summon" them to ask questions or ask for favors. which is terrible since people tend to be very selfish.

>I want power
You now have power but not everyone agrees with you.
>I will make them.
cool, but can you trust them now?
>I will kill everyone i don't trust then.
And now most people don't trust you or now idolize you power, what you actually say doesn't matter to anyone, since power is the only standard now.
>Fuck you demon.

And i try to not make everything super arbitrary. sometimes players and npc think they got the best deal since they cant see the ramifications of their actions or shit will hit the fan much after they are long gone. But as with everything the main thing to me is to use magic, demons and etc as a means to tell a fantastic story about human things and not as a means of control like in the whole of the modern fantasy storytelling

Denons are a very specific type of a immortal race that represents the absolute worst of the mortal races.

In the immaterial/mental(still working on names here) there spawned by a number of different ways. Main one being that all the once upon dying, a evil soul would then be in the afterlife and be constantly stalked and hunted by vengeful souls and spirits of the ones they wronged in the living.

Once all the vengeful souls/spirits captured the one that wronged them, they than began to torture it as a form of payback for all the years of suffering and longing they have had to endured in the afterlife.

After God knows how long of being ethereally mutilated. If the tortured soul somehow survived. It would forever be changed into a form completely unknown and alien to itself. No longer would the soul know happiness, no longer would it know sadness, or even any coherent thought. It would only know uncontrollable wrath and hatred for all that lives.

Daimons/Daemons are a wide variety of quasi-immortal spirits that act as agents and means between the mortal and divine realms as described in ancient greek mythology.

They're actually various semi-sentients left over from a crashing colony ship's AIs that act as possessing spirits and advisers to mortals and spies for the various Titans and God-AIs that rule the city states.

A soul weighted down by evil and untethered to the physical world sinks to the bottom of the spiritual plain, where the hands of hell reach and scrape through looking for whatever they may find. When a victim is found they swarm it and dig their claws in so they can drag it to hell. When the soul hits the barrier between the two realms it's torn apart, and each piece will grow into a demon by the time it lands in the depths of the underworld. Some more strong willed individuals can stay largely intact through the process, and become powerful archfiends that retain a twisted sense of who they were in life. The real tragedy is that this isn't limited to just evil people. It can also happen to the soul of someone who dies in a tainted area, or anyone who spends enough time around sources or individuals of great evil. This means that many of the strongest and most vile demons were once great heroes that dedicated their lives to fighting wickedness.

When the creator made the worlds, there were a lot of leftover prototypes and trial runs, most missing some vital feature of complete worlds, and he dumped them into the Void. Later, when the angels selected souls after death based on their virtue or sinfulness, the evil ones were cast out into the Void as well. Being so weighed down with corruption, they fell into pits in the unfinished places together and eventually, over ages pressed together in agony and degradation and repeated cycles of being torn apart by wrath or melted by acidic sloth and cowardice or cyclically consumed by greed and lust, the strongest pieces of what were once the strongest souls were able to focus on the beings who had sent them to their terrible existence, and were able to pull themselves into shape and claw their way out of the soul pits by the power of sheer hatred. The colonized the wrecks of the incomplete worlds and called them Hells, and built kingdoms of indulgence held together only by one goal: complete and utter vengeance upon Heaven.

Or at least in one setting I've been building. Trying to go for a "completely evil but also still kinda sympathetic" angle.

I really like demons, aesthetically and as characters (not playable ones usually, I mean as NPCs, bad guys, etc.)

I don't like my demons being 'pure' evil but making them just misunderstood or neutral is kind of bad too. They need to be bad in some way, even if its unintentional, to justify their bad reputations.

In my setting anyway, all mortals are given punishments and pleasures for their deeds and behaviors in life. Yes, even if you were a good person you'll probably have a decade or so of community service to make up for your occasional rudeness, white lies, etc. Many souls after they die fear such punishments regardless and flee, and these become demons.

Well, that depends. There are two types of demons.

The first are Iblis's Folk, When the gods were forced to leave Illitheralis in order to shield mortals from the rage and grief of Sun, they ordered their servants, the djinn, to safeguard mankind in their stead. All the djinn agreed, except for Sun's folk, led by mighty Iblis - as the Djinn of the greatest god, they were proud, and their master no longer bound them. It is Iblis's folk who torment mortals with the desert heat that drives a man man, who set aflame testaments to mortal greatness in order to humble them, and who bedevil mankind in all ways.

But Iblis's folk are merely proud and spiteful, not evil. They can be bargained with, and a few brave souls have earned the service or even love of an efreet.

Evil enters the world only where the Void seeps through the firmament, where the Vault of Heaven established by Sun and Earth withers in their absence. These creatures are true demons, spirits of endless hunger that sate themselves first on the souls of man. They make ghuls of mortals, fiendish hungry creatures wearing the skins of those they have devoured from the inside out, subsisting on grave-flesh until they can lure the unsuspecting and crush the life from them with inhuman strength, devour their flesh with sharp fangs.

Those are the true demons of Illitheralis.

>Daimons

Is this another one of those thread were everyone posts but nobody actually responds or talks about anything.

I love those! I actually hate those.

I deal with them by telling them to get the fuck out.

I'm really starting to like the theory that modern demons are the spirits of the nephilim who were wiped out in the flood. It gives it all certain symmetry.

I like Pact's demons. Angels that got corrupted and started destroying everything instead of creating. They're the reason that most of space is empty, the universe used to have like 98% more stuff. However, they're more forces of nature than purposely malevolent, and only try to act in accordance with their nature.

>How do you guys deal with Demons?
Call Ordo Malleus

The same way I deal with them in real-life.
I marry one so the others leave me alone.

Pit fiends that dwell within the mantle of the earth created an army goat demons to enslave the surface world. The chaotic demons rebelled against their lawful masters and began rampaging. Demons still seek to mine upwards towards the surface to raid and ravage the surface dwellers, occasionally bursting forth into the deepest of dwarvern excavations before being defeated or re-sealed away under the earth.

>How do you guys deal with Demons?
SMITE
or make a monkey paw deal with them, if they are dumb enough to let me be a dickass genie
>What are they really?
Embodiment of mortal races' soulshit, a living atrocity exhibition
>Where do they come from?
see above
>Is there a sort of Hell or Abyss in your settings
Yes, it's a place where they form and live between invasions in real world
>and what's it like there?
Imagine a crime-ridden 'hood. Now turn it up to 11 and remove those who aren't gangsters, psychos or drug junkies. Now give them ugly appearance and magic based on what sin they mostly embody.

Edgy

Demons are mortal souls trapped in the dimensional prison of Tartarus, a plane paralel to the mortal dimension,created in a long gone era by the first two gods who framed the universe.
Originally,Tartarus was meant to contain the titans,the gods' rebel creatures,but when these two gods were murdered by their own son (the Chaos God),said god opened it and gave it a new purpose; to store the souls of the departed mortals. It wasn't until millenia after that the Chaos God was in turn defeated and imprisoned in Tartarus by his own creations, the minor gods, with help from some of the titans.

Tartarus is a strange world; looking like a vast,literally endless desert, with only a few geographical elements serving as reference; enormous pilars,reaching to a non-existent sky,getting lost in the ochre-coloured gasses of the atmosphere,with the mummified remains of deceased titans chained to them. The absolute centre of Tartarus is marked by the Dark Citadel,the Chaos God's eternal tomb, inside of which resides not¡Asmodeus and his court of lesser dark gods and archdevils.Long ago,not¡Asmodeus made a pact with the reigning gods of the mortal plane. Said pact allowed him to monopolize evil in the setting and a degree of influence on mortals,in exchange with him to keep permanent watch on the Chaos God. All along Tartarus exist different environments,all sharing a wasteland like geography,from arctic regions covered in grey snow to dead jungles nourished by blood rivers.
It's in such places where demons dwell. Even though all of them where mortals once,the twisting influence of the Chaos God changed them over time, giving a sort of unlife.Demons aren't mortals,but they live,feed and breed like them.
There are demons of all shapes and sizes (basically every kind of demon from D&D or Pathfinder can be found in the setting,among others),both animal and human-like minded,but all of them follow the same rule; might makes right,and on the top of the power pyramid sits not¡Asmodeus

So basically demons are used like a Monkey's paw in your settings?

>demons
>ever not edgy

If a spirit or god is considered evil, it will be called a demon.

just hit em with your knife while saying the lords prayer

long forgotten warmachines that dwell within the ruins of a dead race. They corrupt men's mind with rampant visions of a dead world and will kills those that resist. Not wholly intelligent but completely malevolent.