Warhammer 40k General

Deathwatch codex to the surprise of nobody edition

>Rules databases
mega.co.nz/#F!pFgm0RKR!J06C1gVYcjzNGsF8YNLsjQ

>FAQs
games-workshop.com/en-GB/Rules-Errata

>40k 7th edition quick reference sheet(s)
dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4104995/Games/7edRef_V7.pdf

>Forgeworld Book index
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Forge_World_and_Apocalypse_Rules_Index

>White Dwarves
mediafire.com/folder/tx4hcy4u487pv/WD

>Novels
mega.nz/#F!wx4BiKhD!YhnAf1BqSmAB8dO6xDM56Q

Other urls found in this thread:

drive.google.com/file/d/0B4BtLTIkWwtAR3d0ZWlQOThQLVk/view
1d4chan.org/wiki/Codex_-_Adepta_Sororitas:_Veeky
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

At least the game is still a mess

Second for this game sucks balls.

Sisters of Battle are never going to get new models or rules.

I want to do a mostly-wraith army at 1000-1250 points. What should I pack besides the customary wraithblades/guard and Wraithlords?
I was thinking a couple of hornets and/or a nice big squad of swooping hawks. Would 3 wraithlords be unsporting at that points level?

Why did she just sit there and let it melt?

How's my DE list? Playing against my buds Orkz sometime this week. Maybe tomorrow. Considering buying one of the DE planes because they look so cool.

Added note I was thinking 10 wraithblades and 5 wraithguard plus the spiritseer

it's easy to write rules for sisters though, it's how they got their last few books

>finally get back into 40k after stop playing in 4th edition

>buy a bunch of Grey Knight models, spend a month building and painting them

>show up to the store

>'We only play Horus Heresy now, its more balanced.'

>mfw

"Art"?

I miss the walking dreadnought throne.

>Finally complete army fully based/painted and want to play now
>Just about everyone's moved to Age of Sigmar with the GW campaign going full swing

>Finally get the courage to start up my second army, Tau, after deciding my Grey Knights were mostly complete
>Buy a small force to play games with
>Take a couple months to actually build/paint them at a snails pace
>They get their 7th codex
>Suddenly I'm a cheesemongering faggot

What are the usual formations Tau players use for their cheese? I'm trying to think of ways to deal with them, but I need to know exactly what I'm likely to be dealing with.

>talking to my friend about 40k
>start to complain about how i'm not doing so well in games
>ask for some help and opinions
>get good, rofl

honestly, I don't blame them, sigmar might not be the pinnacle of balance, but with GHB pickup games are easy and actually fun

>Spend the past 3 years teaching myself to model/paint/airbrush to a tabletop+ standard
>Have DKoK, BA, CSM, Daemons, Knghts
>Start taking commission work from friends and locals
>Start hanging out at the two busy flgs' and the local GW, decide to join a league and play some games
>Only lose, nothing but unpainted/primed Eldar, Tau, WarConvocation, and Grav spam

I feel like I've wasted the past 3 years. How does any sane person enjoy the game aspect of this hobby?

>the essentials

I can't pass 3+ armor saves worth a damn.

if they aren't shitlords they should let you counts-as with PAGK for small 30k games until you decide to pick it up or go do something else

Buy loaded dice, theyre everywhere and far more common than you probably realize.

Go red scorpions.

Free apothecary for all your tactical squads. Gives you that nice 5+ FnP.

Everyone thinks I am a cheeselord because of it, but fuck that noise, Red Scorpions are awesome.

Daemons are high tier man, they perform better in tournaments than Tau. Git gud.

Wait...People actually play AoS? It took less than two months for its launch to completely kill every fantasy group at both of the lgs' near me, and every place i've been to that sells warhammer stuff still has the launch boxes on sale for 'massive' discounts.

If you want to play in competitions or local ladders you're pretty much fucked. Otherwise just look for a group that's in it for fun. I find at most lgs' there tends to be a group of people who play their army to win and a group of people who play their army because they like the models/fluff.

I dont play competitively, nor do I create lists based around how powerful it will be on the tabletop. Theres one other guy around here that approaches it the same way. The rest of the league, and apparently the entire local meta, is playing competitive lists.

I get it, I'm the black sheep. But ffs man, is it really fun to bring the craziest stuff possible every time? And you arent even painting it? Idk man, if competition is your thing, it seems like 40k would be the last game you chose.

Went to a not-so-local 40k tournament yesterday with my CSM gimmicky Daemon Engine list and won 1, lost 2. Had a good time and grabbed the last place prize of a go at the communal bitz box for kitbashing. Threw together a Raptor Champion, any suggestions on what to name him?

If nobody else will tone it down, your only options are to ramp up your own cheese or find another group.

My friendgroup is deep into 40k, and we're considering AoS because it looks fun. If we do/did pick it up I'd roll Lizardmen/Seraphon because I'm a FUCKING SUCKER for Aztec/Mayan/Meso-American themed stuff.

People are strange. I saw plenty of unpainted models at the tournament yesterday, but there was also a great War Convo that my opponent painted himself. But he was quite courteous playing against me. I guess it's all in how you approach the game.

Hello everyone, I really want to get into the Warhammer 40k game by starting a grey knight army. Any suggestions on what to get or what units to mix with them because I'm also considering getting some inquisition units with them. Also what's the difference with just playing the game and playing the Horus heresy? Are there different rules?

Jeeper.

>Wait...People actually play AoS?

Thats what I thought, because no one plays it at the most established and best flgs in town. Then I went to the new (9 months) flgs in Scottsdale, and there were a few guys playing it that apparently have a league.

Then this past weekend I went to the GW for the first time in over a year, and thats all they were playing. And to be honest, the General's Handbook is really something. It's the single biggest improvement I've ever seen for a game.

After looking through it and talking with the guys that were playing a 1250 point game (with old WHFB Orks and Ogres vs. End Times Tree models) - it actually sounds legit. I found myself questioning how much of it was the work of the TO's they worked with to create the book. And at $25, if you own a WHFB army, it's a no brainer.

They need to create an alternate timeline, or do an earlier era of WHFB when the Old World was still intact so the Fantasy guys would consider returning. It could be done without undermining AoS, and since they'd both be using the same ranges, it could only increase kit sales without any risk. Doing this with a series of similarly priced ($25) faction fluff books released every now and then would earn them so much goodwill, and likely be a huge boost to sales. Lemonade from lemons, from disaster, opportunity, etc.

>Also what's the difference with just playing the game and playing the Horus heresy? Are there different rules?
You'll have to check the red and crusade books for the rules. The difference is that the HH focuses on the legions of old, the glory days of the Mechanicus when they were the Mechanicum, daemons, Solar Auxiliary, Imperial Militia and Warp Cults. Agents of the Emperor(Custodes and the Sisters of Silence)and Warmaster are upcoming so soon.

>"painted himself"
>literally the most basic combo of red and black with some tacky blue thrown in places

>They need to create an alternate timeline, or do an earlier era of WHFB when the Old World was still intact so the Fantasy guys would consider returning.

Nah, fuck the Old Worlds and fuck the "Fantasy Guys". They deserve nothing, those bunch of bitter shitposters and total cunts.

They got WH:TW and that's enough.

>Painted, and based, whine

There's just no pleasing some of you is there?

I play Imperial Militia, so I already can put medics with my hordes of pseudo-marines. My terrible dice rolls have become a meme in our playgroup. I rolled 38 dice against som harlies in close combat. Hitting on 4's and wounding on 3's. He only lost like 3 of them

Ohhhh and the GK were a legion after that time period? Also what other legions were after that time period?

completely different ruleset beyond the basics.

as for what to pair with Grey Knights, I would wait and see what the deathwatch codex brings, you could run inquisiton, GK and deathwatch for a full inquisition army.

Right.
But isnt it better for GW to tap into a whole other demographic of already existing customers, most of whom would jump right on with any genuine gesture of goodwill toward them.

And more people playing more games is good no matter what.

>I miss the walking dreadnought throne.
Isn't Karamozov still a unit in the Inquisition codex?

Yeah, Karamazov is in the Big I codex now along with Coteaz

A group of us on Veeky Forums made a 7th edition update for the current SoB codex a few weeks back. You can find it here: drive.google.com/file/d/0B4BtLTIkWwtAR3d0ZWlQOThQLVk/view

As for official updates... we can continue to hope and pray...

I was considering Vanilla Marines as my 4th army( just started painting my DE), but then the Deathwatch was announced and now I'm split.

Is this made from scratch or the current codex E-book with edits?

Fuck the people who were interested in GW's longest running setting. How dare they want more than a video game for their TT hobby!

Horus Heresy uses the 40k brb, has CAD and a small few thematic detachments (formations).
There are a few limitations and of course no codexes, which are the problem in 40k. Each Legion gets to draw from the same list of generic units, and each gets a Primarch, several characters, and a handful of Legion specific units, RoW (buffed up chapter tactics), and special rules. It's a pretty good game, but you def have to be into power armor.

No. The Grey Knights were created during the Heresy by marines from all legions who were singled out by Malcador. These marines were known as the Knight Errants. Another group of marines were known as the Blackshields. These marines were marines who painted their armor black, leaving no association with their parent legion, and fought for redemption. If they were loyalist intentions though. Some were renegades who carved their own petty empires.
>legions after that time period
The loyalist legions broke up into chapters and I quote from Collected Visions "Never again would the space marines conquer the Galaxy again" or something of the sort. As for the Traitors they are called the Traitor Legions, but save for the Word Bearers and the Black Legion(in reality it's just a warband made up of smaller warbands on Abaddon's payroll) they're only legions in name. They'd rather destroy another warband they fought and bled with during the Crusade then get along under normal circumstances.

It uses the e-book as a base. We added some new units/formations, modified existing ones to make them more useful, and modified a lot of their rules to make them more competitive in 7th edition.

There's also a 1d4chan page with all the threads archived if anyone's interested: 1d4chan.org/wiki/Codex_-_Adepta_Sororitas:_Veeky Forums_7th_Edition

Yeah fuck them. No kindness to shitposters.

That demographic won't be satisfied no matter what happens. They are cancerous and should stay away. Far away.

They already moved on to KoW and 9th Age. Let them rot in those games. We do not want them!

If you genuinely feel this way, you should take a moment to think. I believe in you user.

Firstly to be anal about it, grey knights were never a legion, but also don't follow the same structure space marine chapters do. The GK came along after the heresy officially, but the knights errant were an order created during the heresy that ended up becoming what the grey knights are, the elite militant wing of the inquisition.

The rules for playing them aren't fully out yet, though Nathaniel Garro, who was one of the main men of the knights errant is out and can be accompanied by a force of black shields (mostly made up of loyalist marines from traitor legions who painted their armour black so as to show they weren't with them anymore, but some also repainted their armour in the original colour scheme the legion had before it was changed (such as the dusk raiders scheme for loyalist death guard)) for a fluffy early inquisition list.

Going through it right now and it looks great. 1 bit of advice/criticism. On those "Only X may be taken per army/detachment" notes, you should keep them away from the fluff paragraph. I'd suggest a small box with the note somewhere with the rules. If it doesn't fit in a box, run it along the bottom of the page. Look at the page for the Coldstar Commander suit. Pic related.

I took a moment and decided that fantasyfags should burn in hell.

Not all Blackshields painted their armor black, actually. One of the most famous Blackshields that survived all the way into the 41st millenium and became a chapter in the 2nd founding are the Carcharodons.

Wraith Lords suck and you can't even get that many of them unless you include troops.

That's depending on if Ashen Claws = Space Sharks. Until then I'm going with Pale Nomands = Space Sharks.

>‘You do not just mean forming a new warband. You mean a new Legion. A new war.’

>His gaze never left mine. I felt it holding my eyes to his, felt the ambitious heat of fevered thoughts.

>‘A new war,’ he agreed. ‘The real war. We were born for battle, Khayon. We were made to conquer the galaxy, not to rot here in Hell and die upon our brothers’ blades. Who are the architects of the Imperium? Who fought to purge its territory of aliens and expand its borders? Who brought rebellious worlds to heel and slaughtered those who refused the light of progress? Who walked from one side of the galaxy to the other, marking their passage in a trail of traitorous dead? This is our Imperium. Built across the worlds we burned, over bones we broke, with the blood we shed.’

>What stunned me most was not his passion, nor even his ambition, though both were breathtaking in their scope. No, what stunned me more than anything else was his motive. I had expected a failure’s bitterness, not a champion’s idealism. He did not want vengeance, whether it was petty or ultimately justified. He wanted what was ours by right. He wanted to shape the Imperium’s future.

>‘You see it, too,’ he said, baring his teeth in a snarling grin. Like the rest of the Justaerin, his teeth were engraved with Cthonian runes of fortitude and resolve. They seemed very apt all of a sudden, in the smile of a pilgrim returning to his people to become a crusader. ‘You feel it now, don’t you?’

>‘A new war,’ I said slowly, softly. ‘One not born of bitterness nor founded on revenge.’

>implying AoS shitposts are any better
yeah id rather have cynical fantasyfags than AoS shills

In the Horus Heresy back when their were legions, everyone had cool stuff. Plus, the earlier armor marks were far more common as well.

>Abaddon nodded. ‘The Long War, Khayon. The Long War. Not a petty rebellion swallowed by Horus’s pride and his hunger for the Terran Throne. A war for the future of mankind. Horus would have sold the species to the Pantheon for the chance to sit on the Golden Throne for a single heartbeat. We cannot allow ourselves to be used the way he was. The Powers exist and we can’t pretend otherwise, but nor can we allow a sacred duty to devolve into such weakness, as Horus did.’

Who would have thought? Abaddon and the Black Legion were good guys all along.

What changes is the deathwatch codex gonna bring anyways?

Shouldn't you be burning in hell, shitposter?

Ok, I need to read the Black Legion book.

>That's depending on if Ashen Claws = Space Sharks. Until then I'm going with Pale Nomands = Space Sharks.

Pale Nomads were the Carcharodons for sure. Ashen Claws were RG + NL, and they stayed in the Ghoul Stars.

>Ghoul Stars.

So they were the guys who awakening the Pale Wasting. It all makes sense now.

Kitbash guy back again with my Biomancy sorcerer named after a professor who gave me good advice.

I'm thinking about grabbing some Daemons for Daemonology summoning, which ones are good for aiding CSM?

I can't think of anything witty to say so I'm going to they're still slaves to darkness. Live by using daemons for everything you get betrayed by the daemon man.

>‘Only a fool trusts a Daemon. They are made of the very stuff of change, the raw madness of the Warp made manifest. However, like men, Daemons are creatures of greed, pride and arrogance, and these are things I trust completely.’

- Abaddon the Despoiler

user, I can't take this picture seriously with what's behind your CSM. Ruins it for me. Also what's the deal with those funky legs.

Fateweaver and pink horrors are really good
Though if you're taking them you might as well take a dthirster and a daemon prince with grimoire
Infact, cut the CSM down to an allied detachment with a heldrake and Be'lakor
See guys Chaos can win

He might not trust them, but that's not going to stop the Chaos Gods from making his men dependent on daemons.

This will last up to the point he betrays the Chaos Gods and ascends the throne to become the new Emperor and Protector of Mankind.

Chaos is just a means to an end which is the salvation of mankind.

Abaddon did nothing wrong.

entirely new faction that the game has never had properly represented.

the grey knights are the chamber militant (armed forces) of the ordo malleus (the daemonhunters) while the deathwatch are the chamber militant of the ordo xenos (alien hunters). the third arm is the adepta sororitas, which is the militant arm of the ecclesiarchy but also the chamber militant of the ordo hereticus.

these factions do work together on numerous occasions, and you can use the inquisition codex to tie it all together

That's a good idea, I'll see if I can implement that. Also, let me know if you spot any typos or grammatical errors, I've been trying to weed those out.

He's likely to do that as a clown wouldn't die from being beaten to death with a sack of tangelos.

>Shouldn't you be burning in hell, shitposter?

Can I get some list feedback?

1000p semi-competitive Dark Eldar w allies

Dark Eldar CAD:
- lhamaeans (hq)

Troops:
- 2 x 5 kabalites, 1 kabalite w blaster, raider transport, dark lance
- 4 kabalites, 1 kabalite w blaster, venom, splinter cannon upgrade
- 3 kabalites, sybarite (warlord), 1 kabalite w blaster, venom, splinter cannon upgrade

Eldar combined arms detachment:
Hq
- warlock, singing spear, eldar jetbike

Troops
- 3 windriders with twin linked shuriken catapults
- 3 windriders, 1 with scatter laser, 2 with twin linked shuriken catapults

Lord of War
- wraithknight, 2x wraithcannon, 2x scatter laser

The idea of this list is basically to ninja objectives with dark eldar while also having firepower to destroy anything in the way. We have dark lances and wraithcannons for heavy armor, shuriken and scatter for medium, and lots of splinter for anything with a T value, while also having a ton of highly mobile objective secured troops.

I had Posessed parts left over and so made him into a spider-dude. The idea was in experimenting with Biomancy he fucked up and turned into 3/4ths of a Spawn. On the plus side because he's on a Terminator base he's got the 2+5++ all on his own. I'll remember to use a better backround next time user.

Yeah, I'm looking at B@C and trying to decide between Ultramarines, Alpha Legion or Sons of Horus.

I thought about White Scars, too, but I don't know what they did at all during the Heresy.

Don't be sorry. You got a sensible chuckle out of me. I needed that on restless nights like this.
>The idea was in experimenting with Biomancy he fucked up and turned into 3/4ths of a Spawn.
Pretty neat, user.

Go for Iron Warriors, user. Be bitter with us.

But in all seriousness, why do the legions you're thinking of interest you? Could probably help you choose.

>that deny the witch alteration
Seriously, what is with you sisterfags. Psychic powers that target enemy models aren't the good ones. All these shitty rules you cram in there do is guarantee that opponents will just use Conjurations and Blessings.

White scars did the job no one else wanted to do during the great crusade, they took the planets on the edge of the known universe, fought orks and basically did their job without much outside influence. During the heresy they fought the alpha legion and death guard before reaching Terra.

I already play Blood Angels and Grey Knights, no substantial rules for those guys in 30k, I played Chaos during Fantasy but never cared for 40k traitor marines. 30k, however, I could go for.

Alpha Legion has a cool paint scheme and hydra iconography. Their lore sounds like a mess but I don't really care, Operator Marines with a stylistic flair is cool.

I've always liked Ultramarines and 30k seems to play to their Greco-Roman influences far more than 40k does, plus that Guilliman model is very simple but evocative to me. I've always liked the idea of a well-rounded force of Astartes that can actually pull that off instead of being hyper specialized. Plus their paint scheme is probably the best loyalist one besides Dark Angels.

Sons of Horus I liked the moment I read the original Horus Heresy trilogy, although i've only read the first three books so far. They seem cool, I like the paint scheme and its something I've never done. They seem like really aggressive Ultras who went full career soldier instead of trying to be warrior-diplomats. Plus Horus has, hands down, the best Horus Heresy model even ignoring my bias for Guilliman's. Abaddon leaves me feeling cold, but I would be down with fielding him. If I did Chaos in 40k i'd probably be Black Legion anyway.

White Scars I don't know shit about but 30k bikes look better than 40k ones, they have a paint scheme that would be a fresh breeze to paint. Dirty, beaten up white army with a little bit of red? I could grind whole squads in a day. The few lore bits I've read about Khan were amusing, too, especially his interactions with Fulgrim, but again I have no idea what they actually DID during the Crusade so its hard to get behind the army.

Apparently they have proto-Grey Knights coming out from FW? I could give those a try but I like their 40k incarnation, Matt Ward lore aside.

Thank you that cleared a lot of things up. Can the grey Knights still play in the Horus heresy though?

no but you can play knights errant

Anyone got a high-res version of the artwork on the first page of the Daemons codex?

Play with friends and/or in painted only games.
Filter 90% of the tryhards and FOTM armies.

So we're getting a codex for the deathwatch units or some other army completely never before seen? I'm sorry for all these questions I just have general knowledge of 40k

>So we're getting a codex for the deathwatch units
maybe its all rumors right now so I wouldn't get your hopes up (not that gw can do any chamber militant codex right anyway)

it was officially announced today on the GW FB page, check under the OP

GWs policy regarding new stuff is, no sneak previews no telling which is why there are only rumors. The quality of them is usually "internet rumor" so there is usually some truth to it. Other than that its wait and pray it won't break the game any more than it already is.

well then I cant wait for gws next big disappointment

Codex: Adeptus Bastartes

This is exactly what happened to me at both my local clubs. Just got my head around the psychic phase rules and now all my friends are blowing the dust off their old fantasy armies.

Still, AoS is proving to be way more fun, faster and simpler if you ignore the gay joke rules and use points

Ah, only rumors. I got excited for a second.
I've been building up an IG force to start playing at my LGS and with my Siblings. I've already settled on Allying in an Imperial Knight or two down the road, and I was trying to decide between Blood Angels or Black Templars to provide some allied melee punch. If this Deathwatch rumour pans out, I'll probably go for the Alien Killers over some other Space Marines.

This game really is fucking broken and the codex creep is so unreal it might as well be Pay2Win

I feel like it's going to be another 'Codex' Storm Troopers with like five units and most of them will be cribbed from previous Deathwatch formations, units, or that board game.

Should I replace these asscents with something, I don't have enough points to do anything but footslog them.

My other options are a small assault marine squad, attack bike, or bike squad.

>But isnt it better for GW to tap into a whole other demographic of already existing customers

Yeah when AoS launched they all got simultaneous free rules and Warscrolls without codex creep. The option to use their existing armies without restriction.