I wanna start a game of Dark Heresy with my local gamegroup

I wanna start a game of Dark Heresy with my local gamegroup.
I kinda wanted Veeky Forumss opinion on the editions.
Which one do you prefer and why?
First or Second Edition?

2e because of all the system refinement after 5 game lines.

one important question thou...
can you sister of battle in 2e?

Yes. Enemies Within.

Can I just say that I love DH?
When I read through this book I had to laugh so many times... It just paints a perfect picture of how batshit the Inquisition is. Like, some of the Headlines alone. "Innocent proves nothing".
This little line alone says "We don't care if you are innocent or not, we will just burn you anyways because we are the holy inquisition and thats what we fucking do"

2e, the groups I've run it for have been horrendous, but I still think it's an improvement over 1e in terms of the various systems.

Only issue I have is with acquisitions for small items and gear, and that's easily solved by allowing them automatically.

Is that all the AdSor, or just the SoB?

Honestly from reading the rulebook I wasn't really clear on how to run it, the premise seems like it should involve investigation bit there aren't really any investigation mechanics to speak of and the GM sections doesn't mention anything of the sort, some of the mechanics like fear and corruption suggest slight horror elements but the general tone seems to go against that. The rules seem to suggest a focus on combat but does that mean the game should be 'people are being heretical here, go there and kill them' because that seems a little bland

All with SoB being an elite advancement so you don't start off with a bolter and power armor.

1e or 2e?

What Role are Sisters Famulous supposed to be?

Hierophant?

That seems like more priest than negotiator.

Seeker.

Seeker then? Hierophant is the main role for being diplomatic and otherwise using interaction skills.

1e, I have some familiarity with 2e but I've not read the whole rulebook

2e has a section in the GM chapter for investigations along with topic specific investigations in each splat.

ok, although the game still doesn't have mechanics for investigation games that at least indicates that their should be investigation elements to the sessions which is helpful.

What do you mean by mechanics for investigation games?

I'm thinking about ToC mostly, rules which explicitly say 'when a character uses this skill in this situation he learns this'. Dark Heresy has a couple skills which can be useful in learning about a scene but still seems to mostly rely on 'you learn what the GM tells you', there's no rule which concretely entitles the players to a certain amount of information and in my experience running investigation games you generally need that in order to stop things dragging.

Bump for interest as I'm in the same situation is okay

Annoyingly I already invested heavily in the first edition. It it just stuff that can be carried over easily like streamlined house rules or is it really just trying to use a different system

Speaking of this thread, are there any anons in Athens-Atlanta Area in Georgia who run DH2E?

The former. In BC and OW there were even guides how to translates items, traits and profiles from earlier systems into them, they work for DE2 as well (if it doesn't have something like that in itself, but I forget).

DH2 overall seems more generalized, and thus some things are crammed where they don't really fit. Sorcery, for example, is much more detailed in DH1, while in DH2 it is given one tree and thrown into the unbound psykers category. Anyone else has some examples?

How bad over powered are Pskeyers?

I know there is no mana or spell slot systerm, which I like simply from an originality point of view but it sounds pretty broken not to have some sort of use limiter.

I think this is helped by two things, firstly they are weaker than you're probably thinking, a starting psyker will know the equivalent of 2 cantrips, even if you're spamming them they don't have much impact. Secondly there is a (very small) chance of the psyker rolling on the perils of the warp table and seriously harming themselves, the party, or possibly everyone in the general vicinity.

Rogue trader is my favourite of the line.
but both editions of DH are good.
I recommend, especially because of the purchase system, 2e though

2e allows greater freedom with character development, as opposed to being restricted to a specific skill tree, but in practice most players tend to minmax. Also, I hate 2e's acquisition rules; while 1e made high-end gear prohibitively expensive, it also made it easier to pick up a bunch of cheap tools (grapnels, stummers, etc.) that could come in handy on a job. It's also much more reliable; you can either afford the item or you can't. With 2e, if you get a bad roll for your acquisition, then you're shit out of luck until your GM deigns to give you another set of acquisitions, which probably won't happen until the end of the mission.

I also find the Calixis sector much more interesting than the Askellon sector. The planets seemed more interesting and less defined by one single quirk, like Hive Desoleum and its cog oath system.

The limiting factors are social stigmas and potentially unpredictable side-effects. You can brand a psyker as a witch and make a whole world wary of him, maybe even stirring a local witch-hunting group against him. He can also simply die by casting even the most basic of powers, pic related.

They are powerful, but I'm not sure I'd call them overpowered. If a PC psyker is doing too much, you can always throw specifically anti-psyker stuff at them, or make their life hell by introducing a powerful demon interested in them. Psykers can be severely gimped by the fluff, at the GM's discretion.

>2e allows greater freedom with character development, as opposed to being restricted to a specific skill tree
Aren't Elite Advances basically the same thing, but not strictly enforced by the rules? I see it as more flexible.

I agree Calixis is a well fleshed out cluster(fuck). Also, it mishes well with the rest of the 40K RPG line, especially rogue trader.
I see the aquisition as downgrade though
I have had some times in 1ED, where the party ended up begging their administratum contact for a public transport pass so they could get around the space station and stealing boots from the dead and investigation areas. These give a nice grim backdrop, and simply rolling for bus tickets does not have the same feeling

There is a thing in the new Delta Green rules that I've carried over into pretty much any game that has investigative elements where you generally don't roll the dice unless you're in a high stress situation or one where failing a roll means dramatic or interesting consequences. If the PCs have time to take in their surroundings and really analyze what's in front of them (i.e. during investigations) their skill percentages reflect the quality of information they get, so someone with a 60% medical skill would, without rolling the dice, be able to spend some time examining a body and find out how they died, an approximate time of death, whether or not it was violent and maybe a few other things if they have specific questions while someone with a 25% medical skill might do the same thing and get much less or a much more vague version of the information the more skilled person got. This way the PCs are almost never left with nothing to go on but there is still incentive to improve investigative skills.

Can you run 1E premade campaign stuff like the Haarlock saga in 2E? Or does it require a bit of fiddling

Yes. If something requires a skill that is obsolete or absorbed into another skill in 2e, just use the closest one i.e. if something calls for shadowing, just use stealth.

And what would you recommend to get started as a new GM? Core rulebook, dice and anything else?

The undivided attention of your players.

Errr, i reckon i can manage that

You'd be surprised.

With my lot? I probably wouldn't we get sidetracked very easily

1e has one of the best character creation systems I have ever seen and, for some fucked up reason, 2e got rid of it - so 1e.

there are certain things from 2nd, or at least houserules to 1st you should make.

Either use the 2e emperor's fury, or have it be a single extra d10 of damage exploding. Otherwise it breaks.

Full auto/semi auto nerfs.

There is the awareness/perception houserules you need use if you run 1e.

run 2e, convert any fluff or flavor bits you like from 1e, they're very compatible, a lot of the stuff doesn't even need that much adjusting, but the underlying rules mechanisms in 2e are much cleaner and have years worth of system design lessons built into them that fix many problems.

It's it worth buying the new rules then? I've already invested into 1stE.

Yes.

You can also just download them from /40krpg/.

I've run 2E extensively and found it very enjoyable compared to any experiences with 1E, but I also had a group who really got into the lore and the dark comedy the setting can supply

They're still op? Intentionally roll bad. Intentionally roll perils, intentionally wreck everything including yourself.
That and weapon jynx in 1e was 20lbs of bricks to the balls op.

well... the lore and dark comedy is why I wanted to run the game in the first place (because my friends are versed in 40k and we all love the lore and also it's batshit insananity)