Dungeons and Dragons 5e General

D&D 5th Edition General Discussion

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>July 2016 Unearthed Arcana
dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/quick-characters

>Old Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/SyGRUsiD
drive.google.com/file/d/0B1pdYIcfHauwNDM2My1XeWFYSDA/view
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

How do I use difficult terrain to improve my combat encounters? Whenever I ask this people give me examples like rocky ground or heavy rain but I don't know how these things should influence the players mechanically.

Mechanically, difficult terrain slow's movement speed through it. Additionally, you might rule that it counts as some form of cover, if it were raining/snowing heavily, or the PCs are chasing goblins through some stalagmites or something.

Mearls said the new UA is coming out at some point this afternoon, as of 42 minutes ago.

Use terrain to create choke points. Choke points should allow the controlling side to used ranged attacks relatively safely against the non-controlling side and/or prevent the controlling side from being flanked.

Use obstructions that can break line of sight/line of effect so aoe attacks are difficult to use and ranged PCs have to adjust positioning, potentially putting themselves in dangerous positions to fully use their offense.

Add traps, pits, chasms, etc. to make the battlefield itself an enemy in addition to the creatures.

Add walls, buildings, etc. for higher ground to protect ranged NPCs from melee PCs.

Difficult terrain around any of these things helps to constrain PC movement to make the obstacles harder to overcome or harder to get away from, as appropriate.

who are some good D&D twitter follows?

also any new rumors about Storm King's thunder?

>do work for me
nah.

>Weapon (longsword), rare, requires attunement
You have a +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls made with this weapon. In addition, while you are attuned with it, the vestige of a long dead wizard instills you with some arcane knowledge. You learn 2 cantrips from the wizard spell list.

Opinions on this? Should I add some restriction to attunement, so that they can't just switch the cantrips every short rest?

Why even reply?

Why does padded armor give you disadvantage on stealth?

What kind of features would a gunmage archetype for fighter have...?

Do you play with the type of people who would think to do that?

If that answer is yes, then consider a restriction. If the answer is no, don't worry about it.

I just used Geas as a DM for the first time last night, as part of my boss encounter, but I think I fucked it up. I had the BBEG cast it on the party wizard, and I commanded him to kill the party. On his first move he cast Darkness, as he claimed it was in preparation to attack, and at the time I allowed. The group managed to keep him restrained until the BBEG was dead and the effect wore off, which was a bit disappointing to me as I was hoping for a harder fight. So, a few questions:

1. Should I have taken over control of the wizard? I didn't want to be a dick and just take the player out of the action, but is that the proper way to run it?

2. Should he have taken 5d10 psychic damage for not following the order to the letter? Or should I have told him that he'd have to hurt somebody?

3. Am I correct that the effect persists even if the caster dies? It's not Concentration, so I kept it going for its full duration.

4. Is it just a bad idea to use Geas on PCs, period, or can it be used to good effect in other situations?

follow ((()))

Exactly the same as an eldritch knight with a gun. Or just a Mercer's Gunslinger. Pick one.

Can I get some feedback for these rogue archetypes?

homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/SyGRUsiD

>Revolutionary
Selfless rogue archetype that focuses on motivating others.

>Ruffian
Thug archetype that focuses on being the muscle or the goon. (str based)

1. The effect says charmed, not controlled. Player maintains control.
2. He was given an instruction, he made an interpretation. Such is the nature of charm effects.
3. It looks like it actually does persist. Hmm.

4. I'd recommend not trying to get your party to kill each other using mind control magic. That seems like something your players would grow to hate you for, especially if you're going to be particular about how they do it. It's sort of robbing them of agency for no reason other than to cause them to suffer.

Difficult terrain comes in a few broad categories, sometimes overlapping several at the same time:

Terrain that obstructs vision (fog, smoke, heavy rain, insanely thick swarms of small creatures, etc)

Terrain that obstructs or confuses line of sight (curtains, thick cobwebs, illusory objects, mirrors, etc)

Terrain that confounds movement (tar, rough ground, mud, walls, pits, columns, etc)

Terrain that is dangerous (pits, lava, cliffs, unstable ceilings, quicksand, fireplaces, traps, etc).

Consider what makes sense for the area the encounter takes place in (probably no lava in a swamp, probably no unstable ceilings in a dwarven throneroom), particularly bearing in mind that somebody or something may live in the place the encounter takes place in. For example, most living areas of intelligent creatures will have a fireplace, stove, hearth, or something to that effect. Include that in their living area and you now have a nominally-dangerous bit of terrain. They probably also have somewhere they poo. Players love latrines. They love stuffing dead gnolls into latrines. My players do, at least.

What's the preferred wizard build these days? Is illusion still popular?

Wizard is such a strong base that the archetype won't severely hinder you if you're intelligent with your spell picks.

I have seen Abjurer, Diviner, Enchanter, Evoker, and Illusionist all intelligently played so far.

So far I believe Abjurer is strongest in a strictly mechanical sense and Illusionist is strongest in a creative sense.

Thanks user. I'll avoid using it against PC's in the future.

Geas doesn't really force you to do something, just punishes you for not doing it; darkness is an offensive spell, so I'd say it does qualify. The rest of it would just be proper planning, minions to do things to make the party's life harder while the wizard tries to kill them, etc.

>write douchebag comments just to feel edgy af
get a life

What does a slug have to do with this?

I find that Geas is best used to give players some additional incentive to do something they were going to do anyway but may have had trouble justifying in-character.

The king's daughter is held hostage by the BBEG. The party is to go retrieve her, unharmed and unmolested with utmost haste. They are to subject themselves to the Geas in order to secure the King's trust that they'll do as he asks. Once he's satisfied they will comply, he lends them the precious macguffin that will allow them to properly pursue the quest. Something like that.

>add in useful chokepoints and all sorts of nice things to maps people could abuse
>everybody just runs in and starts hitting stuff
>if you have a fighter, they would never obey 'stand back and let's all fire on them' because they'd do more DPS up front, even if it puts them at risk of death

/thread

Evoker for being laid-back and having fun with fireballs.
Abjurer for breaking the game by being harder to kill than anything short of a barbarian
Diviner for breaking the game by requiring every die roll to have your permission before it resolves.
Spellsinger for having an absurdly high AC and for the flavor of having a sword and knowing how to use it (though you don't have a compelling reason to, since your spells are so much better than anything you can do with a sword)
Anything else if you're really dedicated to roleplaying a master of that school of magic even though the mechanical benefits suck.

So, anyone got any ideas, hopes or expectations for the new races in Volo's Guide to Monsters? We know of 6 races we're getting so far, but anyone got any others they really want to see?

For the curious, those six races are:
* Orc, Goblin, Firbolg: Revealed in the product summary for Volo's Guide.
* Aasimar: Revealed on Reddit.
* Catfolk: Revealed on Twitter, but we don't know what "sort" of catfolk we're getting - there's tabaxi and wemics (lion-centaurs, essentially) as "traditional" Faerunian catfolk, after all.
* Tritons: The podcast where they talk about Storm King's Thunder.

Personally, I want to see:
* Kobolds - because they're, like, one of the most popular monstrous races besides orcs/goblins.
* Gnolls - because I think they could really make for an interesting race if they weren't pigeonholed into "demon-worshipping lazy cannibal slavers" all the time.
* Saurials - simply because they're an esoteric FR race and, really, it's a race of dinosaurs; you have to be *trying* to cock that up.
* Aranea - because I think they put the Isle of Dread in Faerun at some point and because "intelligent, magically adept spider-were" is a really unusual racial archetype.
* Tannaruk and Fey'ri - because we got Tiefling variants already, so why not go the whole hog and give us the FR-native Orc & Elf versions of tieflings too?

Oh yeah, and Necromancer for breaking the game by having an army of zombies that eat the game's action economy alive

God, casting Darkness was so fucking clever. Give that player inspiration or something.

this, i dm myself and actually kinda hate mind control spells , they just negate all the friction that opposition gives to the encounters.

It should probably have been done:

"Wizard. You must attack your party members whenever you are able."
This forces the wizard to attack their party instead of him, or attack him at the same time as fighting the party.
The wizard could opt to simply take that physic damage, if they wanted, and then completely ignore the geas as it will not effect them for a while.
From then on otherwise, the wizard would probably be throwing their weakest spells to attack their teammates, or simply run from the battle.
Though it does maybe mess with the Wizard's ability to do things, it does give them something to do: The dilemma of how they're going to get around the Geas.

Honestly though, that's not the way you'd normally use Geas at all. Geas is pretty much a forced quest, not a mind control attempt.

mind-fuckery spells can be fun, mind-domination spells are just annoying.

Until something with a big breath attack or its own fireball spell comes along.

Hey guys. So basically this girl joined an AL group at my FLGS a few months ago, I asked her out and she didn't say yes. So I tried to get her character killed, discovered you fucking cannot die in AL which is bullshit, and as a result I ended up kicked out of AL for calling them on their bullshit.

Well anyway I was talking to one of her friends and they invited me to their home game and I would be playing soon. So since this is not an AL game, it is a home game, I am curious what sneaky / dirty tricks you have for getting a character killed? PvP isn't outright banned but I still need to think of a clever way of killing her and making her death look like an accident (in-game, that is).

I am building a 4th level character btw. Anything in the PHB is legal.

Is this the D&D version of "dies to removal"?

Kill yourself.

Boring bait is boring.

>bladesong
>on a 20 dex, 20 int wizard
>23 AC for 2 minutes every short rest with mage armour, starting from level 2, or without mage armour if you feat up some light armour and get a +1 on that armour
Who thought this was a good idea?

How much HP ya got, senpai?

Anyone here got the Tome of Beasts that just came out? Previews seemed good, was wondering how decent the content looks at first glance.

People who realized that wizards are never going to have 20 Dex, 20 Int, and any amount of Con to make melee worthwhile.

Bladesingers are still squishy as fuck by the time they can manage their max AC from it.

No, it's still a good tactic. It's just best not to get too attached to your army and be sure you have other tricks up your sleeve.

Counterspell is a must for necromancers.

>Who thought this was a good idea?

Apparently Wizards of the Coast when they decided to use bounded accuracy so a 20th level fighter has the same attack bonus as a fucking 20th level rogue.

Maybe grow a pair and stop being a baby about being turned down.

So you're saying she rejected you, then offered to buy you lunch after you had a tantrum and got kicked out (where you rejected her act of kindness), and THEN one of her friends invited you to their home game? user, you've gone beyond the realms of believability. It's time for a new story.

I appreciate your dedication, though.

I will agree with that, charm spells yes, can be interesting.
For example, my players are doing the Lost mines of Phandelver module (though midly modified by me and with actually rolled characters) and at the goblin arrows ambush they got firstly steamrolled and on second try to got the last goblin to fled, so my fiance's druid casted charm person on the goblin and long story short the almost fell in love with it and kinda felt bad they had to kill it when the spell finished.

Straight up mind control spells eliminate any kind of chance for the victim to challenge the caster.

Casters in DnD are already disgustingly overpowered, to have spells like those is kinda unbearable for me.

Come on now, you don't like the fighter's 4 attacks vs. the rogue's 1 at level 20? Or action surge twice per rest at that point?

You're right, rogues should have a higher to-hit at 20th level to make up for how poorly their damage scales at those high levels when there are no feats like GWM and Sharpshooter to boost them.

>so a 20th level fighter has the same attack bonus as a fucking 20th level rogue
So two characters who have both been fighting with swords for 20 whole levels shouldn't be equally good at it just because they fight with swords in slightly different ways?

don't feed such bad and idiotic bait please

Don't forget their lack of proficiency in the physical saving throws.

i drew this for you in ms paint

This looks like the equivalent of the merchant rubbing hands meme, but of like an asian store owner.

Okay, fine, that's a good point.

It just kind of feels like it's treading all over the toes of any heavy armour wizard. Dwarf wizards or wizards with a dip in cleric, something like that.
It's quite reasonable they might start with 18 dex and 18 int if it's by rolls and someone gets cheesy, and they'll probably level int to 20.
con might still be fairly high if they got good rolls. Wit only 18 int and 18 con they already surpass a shield + plate armour guy if they pop mage armour in the morning and have a quick rest to regain that spell slot.

Compared to a heavy armour wizard with a shield, they still get more armourclass, they get more movement, they don't have to dump dex and get crappy dex save throws / initiative.

Oh, well, portent is sitill more fun anyway.

They gotta make figher players have fun somehow, and the only way fighter players can have fun is by rolling as many numbers as possible.

Anyone know of a generator for legends/myths?

I find very short term (a few turns max) mind domination spells are often okay because they act a lot like stuns.
For those cases I typically the player be effectively stunned and their character does fairly simple actions for those few rounds.
But those play like combat maneuvers and not mind fuckers.

Long term mind domination I restrict to NPCs. Then it can be interesting to have the players figure it out.

The test of a good roleplayer is how they act under of charm spell.

Not really, because that Bladesong is twice a day, for a minute each. That's it. Otherwise, you're just a squishy-ass wizard.

That wizard with shield and plate armor's rocking that AC all bloody day.

>Or action surge twice per rest at that point?

Oh and that's another thing. So fucking sick of these once-per-day abilities that should've died with late-3.5 and 4e. Fuck that shit. Why is it when I do a cool maneuver it's all "oh well that was cool too bad I can't do something cool til tomorrow"

Makes zero fucking sense, artificializes the resting structure to the game (which in itself is fucking stupid because of the death of wandering monsters and the pussification of Dungeons and Dragons in general to three or four set encounters you plot through)

This game has turned into such overly structured shit it is unbelievable. Instead of allowing some sort of rhythm of play to grow naturally from the aspects of the game, they instead force this autistic bullshit structure that has no link to the literature the game takes inspiration from. Instead it just shits all over itself with babyfuck handholding and wants you to conform to their narrative and encounter flow structure. Fucking ridiculous. Just fucking ridiculous. I cannot believe people pay money for this game with four different divergent ways of healing so as to "balance" it better when the old rules for how it worked were just fine and far simpler to boot.

Well that's a new level of lazy.

>This game has turned into such overly structured shit it is unbelievable.
I'm not sure why you're playing a class-level based system at all. It's not the 1980s anymore, you have plenty of options.

isn't that what tiefling rogues are?

Dwarf Fortress

What are the best options for a martial flying in mid-high level campaigns. Carpet of Flying, Wings of Flying, Winged Boots? Specifically this is for a two handed paladin that isn't an Oath of Vengeance pally.

i feel like this is bait but why dont u just go play osr

Two uses.
Every short rest.
Uses a bonus action.

Wizards don't tend to use bonus actions as much unless they pack a spell that does so.
A minute is 10 rounds of combat. Most combat will have easily have ended in 20 rounds.

If you have two seperate 10 round combat encounters, you will likely have AT LEAST a short rest afterwards.

You don't have to worry quite as much about initiative since you'll probably have high dex, unlike in plate armour.

Then, not to mention the other benefits such as barbarian speed, a lot less worry about concentration (a better bonus than you get from war caster) and... Advantage to escape grapples, I guess.

Yeah, I am. Stuck in the hospital today.

I've tried that, but didn't like it.

Winged Boots are the best for in-combat flying, I imagine. For overland travel you'll want a carpet or broom.

>Every short rest FOREVER. No way to ever get more uses.
Fixed that for you.

You can't really guarantee that you'll get any particular magic item in your campaign, or be able to make one. Just get the wizard to cast Fly on you.

Aarakokra
Variant Tiefling
Those items you listed.
Find a way to cast Fly spell.
Convince your DM to allow you to Find Steed a flying mount

What.
I don't understand, user.

Friendly wizard/sorcerer/whatever
Muliclass druid and turn into a flying animal and smite people with your large talons

bumpan this. /5eg/ doesn't really like homebrews outside of Consensus ranger does it?

Sounds good m8.

Actually he's been mostly lenient with the stuff we find, I found a carpet of flying at a store but it was the max weight slow one, and I didn't feel the need to have 4 people on the carpet.
I like this one, maybe I'll chat with the DM about winged mounts.

Thanks these have been helpful, I'll figure something out.

Don't forget condense way of the 4 elements monk

Can I build a Hafling Fighter that doesnt use a Rapier to have good damage?

I haven't actually seen this one before. The consensus ranger I have but haven't found any good fixes for 4 elements monk yet.

Your homebrew is fine. Revolutionary reminds me of advance wars, I thought I'd hate it but I kind of like it. Ruffians ability to shove or grapple as a bonus action is likely too much, especially on one of the best grapplers in the game.
I've saved a lot of stuff from here, but mostly homebrew involving tools or sills. Class archetypes I feel like the game is basically fine on, and races I feel there are already enough of.

yes, you use any 1d8 one handed weapon and a shield and shield master and shove people down to your level and beat them to death. I recommend the flail, morningstar, or warpick for style points.

Looks interesting. Lets see.
>revolutionary
Level 3 ability looks overpowered at first, but then actually doesn't seem too bad at all, really. Kind of sucks if you're not with melee-range people.
Level 3 other ability, 'use an object as a bonus action'... Really? That's the thief's thing. Get out.

Level 9 looks interesting if the DM is willing to put up with you. They'll also have to probably keep a check on you ALWAYS having a party possé with you and instead say you must already have a mission before you start recruiting.

Level 13 ability... What? 'You learn ideas are more important than lives, so you, uhh, try to save a ... life that isn't very impotrant and make yourself attacked..? Because, you.. Like their ideas a lot?
I think they could've worded it better. It's not entirely bad, but it does clash quite badly with the rogue's level 5 feature. Perhaps instead being able to grant your rogue level 5 feature to someone within 5ft of you could be a thing, though I think it should have to be declared before the attack is even made to make it less powerful.

Level 17 ability is fair enough.

>ruffian
Ahahaha. Hahahahaha! No.
Only useful if you're a multiclass heavy armour rogue, and then the only decent ability is the level 17 one, I'd say.
Trash.

Revolutionary looks pretty nice, though.

Wholly appreciate it. While it's true I've seen some good homebrew discussion / workshopping here, I can't help but feel most of it is just 80% bashing / praising of reddit material.

The other 20% of "stfu, you can already do that if you play X/Y/Z and don't think about A/B/C"

As far as the 3rd level ability, I was considering making him give advantage to friendlies on targets he has grappled? Or something regarding dealing with the theme of toughness.

I heard it's a bit too strong but I'll see for myself in the following weeks.

Okay, I had a second look.
Ruffian isn't too bad, actually.

Though the other user said that grappling as a bonus action seems a bit much, it conflicts with many other things the rogue can do as a bonus action.
Not to mention, the 'grant advantage as a reaction' has times it'd definitely be useful but also times it risks wasting your level 5 rogue feature.

Still, it sounds like it'd really annoy the DM when you take the grappler feat and just grapple the fuck out of everything.
>bonus action to grapple
>action to attack, now having advantage and thus having sneak attack

I think I'd allow both archetypes in a game I run.

I have this version here. That's far too much text for me to try to look through and spot the differences.

>48571258
I'm also retarded.

drive.google.com/file/d/0B1pdYIcfHauwNDM2My1XeWFYSDA/view

>Level 3
Hmmm, the other option I was thinking of is being able to grant proficiency or advantage to teammates nearby on ability checks (similar to the Help action in the other part of the level 3 ability)
>Level 9
It's almost word for word Animate Dead, didn't see much of a problem.
>Level 13 ability...
I really like that actually. Thematically, it could be pulling your teammate out of danger, or just shoving the enemy last second...

> but also times it risks wasting your level 5 rogue feature.

The idea is that that is the risk reward for that feature.

>I think I'd allow both archetypes in a game I run.
That's what I'm aiming for.

Jesus Christ why didn't they put a version number or something. Ugh.

If you click on the link at the end of the PDF it takes you to a giantitp thread, which in turn points you to my version.
So I guess mine is the latest.

Do you ever come up with names for your campaigns?

Sometimes yes, most times not until AFTER the fact, and I do a write-up / summary / chronicle of what my party did. It's kinda divided up into chapters.

Anyone got a list of good 5e related podcasts, looking at a long commute and need something to listen to.

So I'm starting a new campaign from level 6. What's a good combo for multi classing?

I'm thinking trickery cleric 3 shadow monk 3, because of the stat synergy, but on the other hand, I guess monk spell casting isn't that amazing and that's what duplicity is for

Paladin / Warlock is always a cheese option you could go with that people recommend for multi-classing.

>you will likely have AT LEAST a short rest afterwards.
short rests aren't 5 minutes in this edition.

I suppose Fey patronage wouldn't go too bad for my Paladin of Trickery, but I've never dipped in Warlock before.
What is the mechanics that I'm missing? Is it the neat Magic Blade?

The party is
>Fighter
>Rouge
>Warlock
>Druid

Is a party fucked without a dedicated healer class without making the Druid the party heal-monkey?

So I get why Pal/Sorc is a cheese combo, and I get why Sorc/Warlock is a cheese combo, but why is Paladin/Warlock a combo? You don't really get more spell slots for Smites, you get a few extra utility powers sure, but unless you're somehow eldritch blasting with smites, I'm not seeing the big deal.

>Is a party fucked without a -

no. the answer is always no.