>The adventurers step into an inn they've never been in before
>They are far from home and in unknown lands
>Four ancient stone busts rest above a roaring fireplace
>The faces on the busts are their faces
>

Other urls found in this thread:

suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/12130366/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Either time travel shenanigans or reincarnation are in play. Either way, fuck the GM, I'm out.

"I thought we left our misdeeds in our homeland behind us, but it looks like we're busted."

Or the sculptor is a prophet. Or the busts are enchanted to appear to be the four most famous people inside the inn. Or they've been turned to stone by a gorgon, and are currently looking into a mirror.

Fuck you....

I liked it.

It's because the group is famous for being A E S T H E T I C

E

S

T

H

E

T

I

C

>Cut my face
>See if the bust changes

No. Time travel can NEVER be done correctly. Using Google it automatically makes you That DM and below contempt.

The god of coincidences is fucking with us again!

>The god of coincidences is fucking with us again!
Why did you have to piss on his altar?

To prove that I could.

That's actually a pretty good idea. Thanks, user.

I am glad I don't have such a positive individual at my table to be honest

What do you mean no? All his examples were of things that DIDN'T involve Time Travel.

Also time travel autists are dumb. We don't know how time travel works so how the hell would there be rules for it?

>We don't know how time travel works so how the hell would there be rules for it?

Ignorance of rules does not rule out rules
Order underlies all things.

Or the PCs are all clones. That's a fun one.

>We don't know how time travel works so how the hell would there be rules for it?
Listen, there are maybe...six major time travel rule sets
>Time loop rules: Everything you did is predestined and was already done before you did it. Free will is an illusion of casuality.
>Static rules: Changing the past is flat impossible. Time travel is basically postcognition.
>Flexible stasis: Small details can be changed, but the larger events are immutable.
>A Sound of Thunder rules: The slightest alteration to the past echoes through the timestream, resulting in massive alterations
>Multiverse/timeline rules: You cannot change your own past, any change creates an alternate timeline that exists seperately but equally to the original timeline
>Terminator/Doctor Who rules: There are pretensions to time having rules, but in practice the rules are as flexible as warm taffy and make little sense.
Pretty much any time travel story will fall into one or more of those five.

>An old prophet, who is also a sculptor, had a dream about four faces moving in shadows
>He believes this is a sign of his god and that he would see these faces again
>Build these busts so he wouldn't forget the faces
>Years gone by, became an innkeeper
>Put busts as decoration above the fire place because why not
> One day the PCs come in
>They see their faces on the busts
>The innkeeper looks at them aghast
>The time has come

suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/12130366/

There is nothing quite like ticking off somebody's '1' while printing off the party's character sheets for a game of Paranoia.

Drives the entire party batshit, they spent three sessions hunting they guy down only to find out it was a red herring and tube 1 was defective that day.

>Every character realizes their face has been replaced by the face that used to be on the corresponding bust
Merely moving outside the Inn undoes the effect.

That was a fun read. Thanks, user.

What? You think the fact that the altar looked like a urinal was just a coincidence?

You can simplify your list further.:
> Time loop
> Static
Both are really the same thing, just looking at it from different points on the timeline.

>A Sound of Thunder rules
>Terminator/Doctor Who rules
In both cases, you cause a paradox. A plot hole. A casual chain that is inconsistent with itself. For example, say you go back in time to kill your younger self. If you succeed, then there is nobody to kill your younger self. Which allows you to go back in time and kill yourself.

>Multiverse/timeline rules:
AKA not really time travel.

>Flexible stasis
This one can be split into three subcatagories, then each of those put into one of the above sections.

It could be timeloop/static in cases where what you thought the past was and what it really was are different, it could be the plot hole situation if you are actually changing the past. Or it could be not really time travel.

So basically we could just pick of of these loosely defined rules and actually pull of a time travel campaign?

Well, except
>Time loop rules: Everything you did is predestined and was already done before you did it. Free will is an illusion of casuality.
that one would require such extreme railroading that you basically don't need players anyway.

The rest would be extremely painful to prepare and you would have to either to take control of the when and were or restrict the players control of time travel to a manageable point, like travel no longer than 1 day in the past and it lasts only 30 minutes before get flung back to your own time.

It gives me a headache to think about it and ist probably the same category as the 5-dimensional hyper-cube dungeon but I kinda want to play/GM it anyway.

>busts enchanted to appear as up to four people inside the inn who are fugitives

>The busts are enchanted to resemble the last 4 people to walk into the inn
>The things cost more than the inn ten times over but nobody ever bothers to steal them since they're such a famous artifact.

The solution to time travel is to get the players on board.
"There will be a time loop, X will happen to cause it. Make sure X happens, OK?" "Sounds good."

In an old campaign I played in one of the characters found a 40 year old wanted poster with his picture on it. Turns out it was his father. He was a sort of Robin Hood figure in the area.

Flesh to Stone and Alter Self. Someone wants to make an example.

Someone convinced low level casters to Alter Self themselves into people they've probably never met, then petrified them?

I guess it's doable but seems like there'd be a simpler way.

"Guys! We finally found our heads! Now let's get them reattached and de-petrified so we can go on with our lives."

Go away Newton