I've been thinking of running a superhero campaign. The basic idea would be that, in the DCU...

I've been thinking of running a superhero campaign. The basic idea would be that, in the DCU, all of the heroes and many of the villains literally just disappeared one day. Nobody knows why, and any concerted efforts to find out what happened tend to have horrible consequences for those taking part in the investigation.

So the party are people who take up the title of "hero" in this new world. Maybe some of them are just highly trained, like Batman. Maybe one of them becomes the new Green Lantern of Sector 2814. Perhaps another trains in the mystical arts, or experiences some freak accident that gives them powers.

Whatever their gifts, they now have to defend the Earth in the place of those who came before, who have been relegated to legend.

Would Savage Worlds be a decent system to use for this?

Mutants and Masterminds already has some DC splatbooks that stat out a ton of established characters. I'd recommend that.

Cool, thanks.

I literally had the same idea for a game the other day. I'm checking out 3rd Edition M&M for a system.

Also I'll need to reread Nextwave before I run it to give me a feel for how to handle the PC mentality applied to a superheroic universe.

Well, if it helps you get an idea, when I was a teenager, my father was in a M&M campaign and I visited him, so he just had me pick a pregen and run him for a session, with the in-universe rationale that I was a member of the same organization who happened to be in town, or something to that effect.

Anyway, my dad's character was a ghost and thus could phase through things. He could also phase objects under a certain size. The villain was this super-powerful CEO. Think if Lex Luthor also had a deal with the devil that gave him magical abilities.

So, Devil-Lex wanted to bring these two ancient statues together, which would summon two ancient beings into our world to do battle, bringing about the apocalypse. We had both statues at this point in time.

And my father mentions that every session since they've found out about this guy, the big tower where his office is on the top floor has been seriously damaged in one way or another.

So I suggest that we should concentrate all our efforts on protecting one of the statues, and phase the other one INSIDE of one of the building's cornerstones, then just send him a message that it's there.

The next day on the news, we get to watch reporters speculate that he's gone batshit insane as he tears down his own building after just repairing it for the third time.

M&M's a good game.

Want to make a character? Run a combat? I've got all night.

I don't have all night, but thanks for the offer desu

Hal is too pure for this world.

Although he and the Tattooed Man both have official stat blocks. I'll run through a combat with them just for fun.

I highly recommend 52, not ALL the heroes disappear, but the biggest names are absent and have their shoes filled as best as possible with various other heroes.

I fucking love Hal Jordan. Sinestro Corps War was the first comic event I really picked up and I loved every panel of it

do you have the pdfs by chance? im dumb and cant find any

Check the archive. We used to have Mutants and Masterminds threads regularly and someone would always post a link to a big collection.

Post more Hal being silly.

>Post more Hal being silly.

I've waited for this thread for a long time, user

Hahaha holy shit.

There's no getting around the fact that Hal Jordan vs. Tattooed Man is going to be rather one-sided. Hal's stats are attached and Tatman will come after.

And here's Tatman.

For the sake of simplicity, Tatman will conjure up four dragons from his ugly tattooed mug.

Rolled 14 (1d20)

M&Ms an easy system. Roll a d20, add the modifiers that matter, and see if your result is equal to or greater to the challenge you're facing. Everything after that is just fudging, really. Damage isn't even measured in points like it is in other games, it's represented with status effects. It will make more sense when we get into it.

For example;
Hal wants to hit Tatman with a big green boxing glove. That's his attack skill vs. Tatman's Defense Class. In this case, the skill that matters most for Tatman's defense would be Dodge.

I'll roll for Hal, could someone else roll for Tat?

Is that not the entire premise behind Baseraiders?

Rolled 3 (1d20)

I'll just do it. Hall rolled a 24 to hit, which easily beats Tat's Defense Class of 18 (Base Defense + 10). Tat now has to roll to Save, which is his Toughness added to whatever he gets after this roll.

Ha, no. Tat takes Damage.

The difference between Tat's result and Hal's damage effect (18 plus a base value of 15, or 33!).

The numbers come up:
Tat: 7 (Toughness) + 3 (roll) = 10 (Save)
33 - 10 = 23, or 4 degrees of failure (measures of success or failure are counted by fives.)

Four degrees is an auto-kill. Hal doesn't kill (*cough*often*cough) so Tatman is incapacitated and hauled off to prison. That's the basics. Now, of course, Tatman wouldn't just roll over and I wouldn't expect the combat to proceed as easily as that. Tutorial over: Proper combat incoming.

I'll go on if there are still folks around, otherwise there's no real reason to. I've explained the basics of the system in three posts, I think that demonstrates enough.

I'm down to see more. I've built characters for 2e, but not 3e, and never got to really play.

There's not much else from a combat standpoint. There are maneuvers, which add 5 or subtract 5 from some active defense or attack to buff another area. If you've played 2e you're familiar with Hero Points, which haven't changed.

It's all just a simple game. You can do a lot with it.

>Would Savage Worlds be a decent system to use for this?

For low powered stuff it should be fine, but there are quite a few better supers systems out there.

Quikstart character

Huh. I've also had the same idea for a campaign, OP. I've also seen it discussed as either a game premise or a fanfic idea quite a few times.

I wonder what it says about DC that a lot of their fans like the setting, but would just enjoy having all those damn DC superheroes out of the way. I really can't name another franchise where the idea pops up so frequently.