Pathfinder General /pfg/

Pathfinder General /pfg/
If you would like assistance with character optimization, please mention which third-party sources are allowed.

Math edition. Why is PoW (except the bits written by Forrest) such trash? Will Akasha be as trashy?

N. Jolly's vigilante book playtest: docs.google.com/document/d/1Hrk1hl8uXVHazaiPOCvWsFUHX3PB6fQVd13tzguJTgE/edit?usp=sharing

Unified /pfg/ link repository: pastebin.com/iYhDNSTq (embed)

Please search for the unerrata'd content here:
web.archive.org/web/http://www.d20pfsrd.com/

Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

www63.zippyshare.com/v/KcIWBFJQ/file.html
d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/classes/vitalist
lmgtfy.com/?q=barbarian DPR
lmgtfy.com/?q=Ragelancepounce barbarian
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Considering Akasha was written conservatively and the highest damage combo (Forcestrike +natural attack build) got nerfed, no it wont be as trashy.

you're supposed to put Pathfinder General /pfg/ in the subject field, not just copy and paste it

>Why is PoW (except the bits written by Forrest) such trash?
It's better than any first-party material. What more do you want?

>It's better than any first-party material.
Well, yea, in the meaning that they all outdamage and generally outperform first party material. Not that it's a good thing, though.

Except casters.

The issue is that Pathfinder martials needed no damage boosts. They were already as damaging as need be. Yet initiators consistently outdamage barbarians of all classes. That's what I call trashy math.

Look at it this way.
With the way, PoW fixes martials not needing fancy +1 swords and armor anymore, it frees them up to purchase wondrous items that grants flight, teleport, etc. instead.

Except they'll still buy their +1 swords and armor.

And depending on their disciplines, they might not need those items to fly or teleport.

>The issue is that Pathfinder martials needed no damage boosts.
Yes. Because they're useless, no matter how much damage they deal.
All PoW does is make them more diverse, interesting and moderately useful.

Also this

That is no excuse since they can still buy that shit and one-round multiple CR+2 or even CR+3 enemies.

Are you not aware that 'too much damage' is a thing that can happen?

Just because some chucklehead isn't T1 or 2 doesn't mean he isn't overpowered if he's unmaking things with a single flex of his buttcheek.

>he's unmaking things with a single flex of his buttcheek

I've never heard of such a PoW discipline

Did you not see 2hu's builds all over /pfg/?

Looks like Veeky Forums lives again.
Here's Liber Influxus Communis that seems to be missing from current trove.
www63.zippyshare.com/v/KcIWBFJQ/file.html

>Liber Influxus Communis
What's that?

Mr. Tall
CN Large outsider (extraplanar)
Init +14; Senses blindsight 120 ft., darkvision 120 ft., true seeing; Perception +41
Aura blinding light (120 feet), fear (120 feet., DC 31)
DEFENSE
AC 42, touch 21, flat-footed 24 (+9 deflection, +9 Dex, +1 dodge, +14 natural, -1 size)
hp 372 (24d10+240)
Fort +26, Ref +26, Will +24
Immune blindness, cold, critical hits, fire, poison; Resist cold 10, sonic 10
OFFENSE
Speed 30 ft., fly 60 ft. (perfect)
Melee 2 touches +35 (10d4 Wisdom drain)
Spell-Like Abilities (CL 20th; concentration +29)
At will—greater dispel magic, greater teleport (self plus 50 lbs. of objects only), improved invisibility, light, major image, mirage arcana, rainbow pattern, scintillating pattern, screen, spell turning, symbol of insanity, wall of force
STATISTICS
Str 34, Dex 31, Con 31, Int 31, Wis 26, Cha 28
Base Atk +24; CMB +37; CMD 57
Feats Acrobatic Steps, Dodge, Great Fortitude, Improved Initiative, Improved Iron Will, Improved Lightning Reflexes, Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes, Lightning Stance, Nimble Moves, Wind Stance
Skills Appraise +30, Bluff +32, Fly +16, Intimidate +47, Knowledge (six) +50, Perception +41, Sense Motive +39, Spellcraft +30, Stealth +47, Use Magic Device +27
Languages telepathy 120 ft.
SQ visitation
ECOLOGY
Environment any land
Organization solitary
Treasure none
Dementing Touch (Su) Mr. Tall's touch drains 10d4 points of Wisdom.

I dunno. It's praised as one of best 3pp books, but I see mostly unplayable clusterfucks. Well, Metamorph I was interested in is decent T4 standalone eidolon I guess, but its archetypes, ugh.

Visitation (Ex) Mr. Tall appears as a hazy afterthought to its victims.
At its first visitation, creatures must make a DC 30 Will save or dismiss Mr. Tall as an optical illusion. Creatures who successfully save become startled as the figure of Mr. Tall looms over them, and become shaken.
At its second visitation, Mr. Tall effects visual and physical corruption within the surrounding inanimate objects about the victim, causing loud bursts of static rapidly oscillating orbs of light to chase victims, and producing weirdly sonorous and terrifying voices. Creatures must make a DC 30 Will save or become shaken.
At its third visitation, Mr. Tall physically enters the premises of the victim's home. Victims plagued by this visitation report being stared at by a large owl or deer with overly large, completely black eyes. Creatures must make a DC 30 Will save. Creatures who fail this save meaningfully and barely audibly gasp that it was no owl or deer, and become panicked.
At its fourth visitation, Mr. Tall effects visual and physical corruption within the victim himself. Creatures must make a DC 30 Will save and DC 31 Fort save or their faces distort into grotesque forms and their bodies become rigid and levitate into the air. Creatures who fail both saves become frightened to death (duplicating a phantasmal killer or slay living spell).
To its victims, it is said Mr. Tall occupies the unfathomable recesses of the mind, the uncertain point where memories churn and decay.

As is, martials are just janitors. They just do the boring cleanup after the casters have invalidated the encounter.
No harm in speeding that up.

>"It's already broken, so why not break it harder"

You seem to be under the impression that every group has encounter-invalidating casters, for one thing.

It's what the system encourages.

Do you want PFS?

Because this is how you get PFS.

Cool?

how does PFS stop caster supremacy?

As far as I'm aware it encourages it due to incredibly bland encounter design that is incredibly easy to prepare for.

The system encourages blaster wizards.

No, the system assumes Blaster Wizards.
But it encourages Save or Suck/Die.

Can Dragons use dex instead of strength for the damage of the bite attack? or is it literal to the wording and strength only?

if they are tiny dragons they can

How long til Horror Adventures will be to download from the Trove or on D20PFSRD?

>Trove
At least 2 days. Probably longer.
>srd
At least two weeks.

Dragon book when? I want to see the calligraphy wyrms.

Why is it okay when PoW1 disciplines BTFO multiple CR+2 or CR+3 enemies in one turn, but it's NOT okay when PoWE disciplines only do the same thing?

PoW1 will supposedly get a rebalance, it's already admitted as a failure.

>Probably longer
Is anyone even still maintaining the trove, at this point?

Yes.

They most likely don't clean pdfs though.

But why are they letting PoWE initiators BTFO encounters with shit like Rapid Strike/Elemental Flux Stance/Reflected Blade Style/Rapid Current?

It's also not okay and I don't support that. Your point?

Is it possible to have Hamon like powers in Pathfinder or D&D?

I haven't been as excited as I have been for Horror Adventures since forever.

fuck oooooooooooooff

Yes, it's called play a monk. But monks suck, so nobody plays them.

It's a supernatural power used by martials.
So, no.

>clerics, druids, wizards clear out whole encounters with one spell
A-Okay.

>PoWE disciplines do the same thing with one turn
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, overpowered.

Get your double standards checked, /pfg/.

Okay, so you can make good shit

Playing for the first time in a while and making a wizard. How should I build him, assuming I start at level 1 and only use 1st party material.

When will /pfg/ OPs stop being made by loud minorities with agendas?
I mean, people can think what they want, but sticking it in the topic is a great way to make people hate what you stand for though I guess that could be exactly what you want

Do shitty meme-tier images get made in your group, /pfg/?

Do you wish they did?

No.

Yes.

You could be the one to start it all, user.

I've never seen it happen in all my groups.

Personally I wouldn't mind if it did happen within campaigns, in jokes are natural.

But memes are dangerous.

Adventuring is dangerous. Life is dangerous. Meme a little.

Hi /pfg/!
Can you help me with my list? I'm trying to define the most powerful/broken archetype for every core/base class.

Barbarian - ???
Bard - Arcane Duelist
Cleric - ???
Druid - ???
Fighter - Lore Warden
Monk - Zen Archer?
Paladin - ???
Ranger - ???
Rogue - ???
Sorcerer - ???
Wizard - ???

Alchemist - Vivisectionist
Cavalier - Daring Champion
Gunslinger - ???
Inquisitor - ???
Magus - Edritch Archer/Kensai?
Oracle - ???
Summoner - Synthesist
Vigilante - ???
Witch - ???

You can get out unscathed when adventuring, Life can be enjoyable, not so much of either when it comes to memes.

>Summoner - Synthesist

Life can only be enjoyable when it's balanced out by the not-so-enjoyable, aka the bad. Adventuring wouldn't be thrilling and wouldn't get your blood pumping if there was no risk. Memes are the other side of the coin, when you add them in small doses to your group in the form of hastily edited images referencing in-jokes and events, they help bring out the flavor of everything else; like salt.

Synthesist is easily argued as less powerful than base summoner, because it cuts your action economy in half. You get way more out of having two turns a round than you do buffing yourself in to a beyblade.

>Barbarian - Invulnerable Rager
>Cleric - Herald Caller
>Fighter - Mutation Warrior
>Paladin - Sacred Servant
>Rogue - Scout
>Sorcerer - Razmiran Priest
>Wizard - Instructor
>Oracle - Cyclopean Seer
>Summoner - Master Summoner

Maybe not THE strongest, but all of them are definitely up there.

Magus - Hexcrafter for sure.

Wouldn't the strongest Rogue archetype be the one that gives it 6/9 casting?
Bard should be Magician.

>Wouldn't the strongest Rogue archetype be the one that gives it 6/9 casting?

I guess so, but with that, you're basically a worse Wizard with some Rogue talents. I certainly wouldn't list that Archetype by itself.

Wizard: Instructor Wizard

How is that even a question

They can also run out of spells and prepare incorrectly. When an initiator does it, he can do so ad nauseum and swap out maneuvers known in between combats.

Exploiter?

Two Wizards>slightly stronger Wizard

Nobody here ever said that fullcasters were okay.

'Encounters' doesn't just mean fights. 80% of the time they're on the same terms as about any other martial when it's a problem that can't be solved by killing something.

/pfg/ seems to think that firearms are shit.
would making a firearms rogue sniper be worth it ? The thought of rolling against ac 10 on everything seems too delicious to pass.
What would be the best way to do it ? Kobolds seem good for the job because of Bushwacker and that sniper feat they have.

I would advise against it because it's either bad or one-shots things.

if the DM isn't enforcing weight limit, you can always carry 10 loaded guns and Quckdraw

Inquisitor with the Black Powder Inquisition and the Vital Strike line. Subpar, but you're still an Inquisitor

Okay, I like the summoner but I think that the Summon Monster SLA is OP. If I'm designing a archetype, what can I replace it with?

Rogues are shit, firearms are shit and anything that limits you to one attack per round is shit.

>I like the summoner but I think that the Summon Monster SLA is OP
What do you like about it then? Summoner essentially is 'fuck you action economy, right at level 1'.

So /pfg/, what's the most fun you've had with a terribly optimized or mechanically bad character?

Different guy, but the eidolon is cool AF. Making it focused on just the eidolon, or making a "different synthesist" has been something I've wamted to try as well.

The Eidolon, really. I like these customizable things. Besides, it can't be worse than a animal companion.

Well what sort of spells would you like to focus on? Debuffing, Buffing, Direct Damage, Conjuration? Level 1 wizards are pretty simple since summoning isn't that great yet and there are a handful of overpowering spells like color spray, sleep, etc, but if you want to be, say, an evoker, you should get your first few feats figure out beforehand. Otherwise your first level feat can be anything because casters don't rely on them too much.

either my kobold or my elf, both were magus of varying flavors. the kobold was sub-par because kobolds, and the elf was sub-par because she used guns. Both also were built more for coolness than effectiveness, but it didn't stop them both from being pretty damn SSStylish at times.

Barbarians I'd say Invulnerable rager, especially when dipped with Unbreakable fighter for that ridiculous tankster build.

Bard-Arcane Duelist is great, but don't discount archaelogist.

Cleric-Most cleric archetypes are kind of bad or uninteresting, but I'm a big fan of the Evangelist and the Asmodean Advocate. The Divine Tactician has it's place due to the initiative thing, and the Herald Caller is great because summoning is overpowered.

Druid-Unsure because I don't play then that often, but the stupidly powerful hippo or a caster archetype comes to mind.

Fighter-Lore Warden is fine but due to the changes to fighters with Advanced Armor and Weapon Training, I'd say base fighter or Weapon Master are the best. You can do some crazy shit with Barroom Brawler and Abundant Tactics.

Monk-Zen Archer is great, but Sohei can potentially get even more attacks, since they can many shot and rapid shot with it.

Paladin-Oath of Vengeance+Sacred Servant, probably. You get a shitload of smites and a domain when you combine them. Something crazy like the Rage Domain would be great.

Ranger-I don't play rangers enough to know, sorry.

Rogue-Scout+Ninja, Knifemaster or Skulking Slayer. Most archetypes blow, but I haven't looked at non-unchained rogues in forever.

Sorcerer-Razmiran Priest is strong, but only because it's flexible. If you want pure damage, better summoning, etc, there are better choices.
Wizard-I'm going to skip Instructor since leadership is stupid, so I'd say exploiter.

Alchemist-Vivisectionist is powerful, but it's really only notable because of how badly it overshadows rogues. If you want a mad bomber you're better off with a standard alchemist, firebomber, etc. Goblins might be the best off with their two archetypes since one grants a flying mount at level one.

Cavalier-Daring Champion got nerfed recently, but it's still strong. I'd say that because it's such a radical departure, the standard cavalier or emissary are still "better". Luring Cavalier might be the most potentially damaging because of archery and fleeing all the time. It's sure to piss off your DM though.

Gunslinger-Bolt Ace, especially with Falcon's Aim, is VERY potent. Musket Master is simple and powerful, and Pistoleros and Gulch Gunners can do some horrible things with dual wielding pistols.

Inquisitor-I'd say Sanctified Slayer or Sacred Huntsmaster. The former can do bad things to people, especially with the sneak attack and intimidate feats, and the latter gets a companion.

Magus-The two ranged Archetypes are pretty solid, and Kensai is still one of the best melee ones and stacks with bladebound, but Hexcrafter is still my favorite. Myrmidarch got better with the Advanced Weapon Training rules, but I haven't looked into how much of a boost it got, but it's worth looking into.

Oracle-That elf one that gets wizard spells and Cyclopean Seer because of the free natural 20.

Summoner-Master Summoner. Synthesist weaker than the base summoner because you lose half your actions.

Vigilante-Haven't really looked into it.

Witch-Well Beastbounds basically get immortality, but I don't think any of the archetypes really substantially improve on a witch's power.

This was back in 3.5 days but I made a truenaming focused cleric taking a 7/10 casting prestige class, because fiendbinder looked fun. Also lost my legs and three fingers fairly early on. It wasn't so much poorly optimized as taking a shitty base and optimizing it as well as possible once there.

End result was somehow convincing the DM that truenaming was broken and banning it in all further campaigns, despite well everything about truenaming.

You're aware that a level 10 barb can probably one-round fucking Cthulhu, right?

That'd be weaker than normal. The way to make guns effective is getting free action reloads and doing full attacks. Sadly, that means everyone is using pistols or dragon pistols unless they're a musket master or have access to that high level reloading spell.

I don't get the underpowered meme, because once you get free action reloads you do more damage more accurately than an archer.

What some call "too much damage" I call the wraparound. Whether or not this is good for balance can be up to highly subjective debate: Certainly in a balanced game this would be a notorious imbalance, but if playing with the rest of the big leagues in, say, Pathfinder, and those classes aren't putting their soft fluffy baby mittens on, it's actually alright.

The value of "too much damage" comes in that moment where it is finally able to match up against ye-olde-encounter-end. It's not time-stop, it's not Quivering-Web-of-Entangled-Chain-Fireballs, it's certainly not Mass Dominate Monster... BUT, it finally fixes such problems as "walls", "mountains"(well, a well built autofire or xaser anyways) and "enemies" with the same ease as some finger-waggler who just goes
>I use Quicken-Spell to swift-cast "don't touch me, just come on my face", and with my standard I cast "Beaten to Death by Hard Cock"

It's no divination, of course, and it won't often allow you to travel between the stars, but at the very least you finally get to have an answer to such simple puzzles a "this needs dead" and "why is wall still breathing".

Vital strike makes them worse. Just get alchemical cartridges and a pistol with rapid reload and you'll still be a badass inquisitor.

yep here we are again... another pathfinder thread another weeb post.

this is why i put down the pathfinder books because i realized really only weebs play it. its the weeb rpg simulator.

5e is better and you know it but because u cant play as a catgirl with a penis you dont want to play it

Yeah, ditching Vital Strike and using proper iteratives is much better but the user looked like he wanted a sniper build of sorts

Oh they're absolutely shit. I say this with my character being more or less pic related.

That said... It's not impossible to make them decent. There's more than enough optimization-juice in the magic murder bag to let us all have it fill our eyeholes and fill us with real power.

You might be playing catch-up compared to a bow, but at least once we're in "overkill" range, we can be utterly viable, sometimes even... good. It'll be a bit more expensive than just grabbing a longbow on the rack.

Now. Be warned that sniping isn't necessarily the best use of a firearm. This shouldn't surprise you; full attacks > single right?

And a rogue... may not be the best way to do it. Firearms do have three things going for them if you work them hard, and you're going to want to capitalize on them properly.
>You already know this: resolve against touch-AC
>x4 base crit for the majority
>a decent-sized base damage die

Now, you want single big shots? That's not impossible... But think about what you're trying to do, and think about how you're going to need to make it worth doing.

How do you get the most out of a single shot? With big damage, of course. But sneak attack? Shit be immune to that, or otherwise able to avoid it can't they. Just static bonuses? They're incredible if you're getting 6~8 attacks per round, but if you're only getting them applied just once?

What you're looking for are ways to force criticals, get the base weapon damage higher, and take advantage of the fact that you're going against Touch: Deadly Aim ain't terrible when you're accurate after all.

For crits, consider the stalker (higher multipliers) and Adaptive Warrior (this eats swifts). Consider also/instead a certain set of high level solar wind and/or tempest gale maneuvers, that automatically enforce a crit. You want criticals, you should make them happening something you can actually do.
>cont

Ah.

In that case, get that Double-Hackbut that does like 2d12 damage, get someone to cast floating disk or just go prone, and be a class that gets some huge bonus to damage.

Bushwacker, Rogue, and Slayer would be great...but hear me out.

Look at the Sanctified Slayer Inquisitor, then look at the "Litany of Righteousness" spell. Combine the two.

Probably a dumb question, but under Guardian Vitalist, it says the Guardian's master ability grants "PR 27". What exactly is PR? Physical resistance?

d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/classes/vitalist

And size. Size? Yes! Size! The Aegis gets no weapon training, but remember point#3? You're already accurate? Why not buy a bigger gun in the first place with powerful-build? What happens if you then apply Augmented Weaponry to it? Did that 1d10 just become 3d8? An increase of 8 average, which is more than +2d6 of enchantments? Do you know what'll happen if you can get more sizes up? Or what that might finally mean for vital strike? 1d10x2 is shit, but what about 4d8? is doubling that still shit? Yes, yes it is, but don't worry, you'll soon realize you can still do better and better!

Friend, what you seek is a kludge of multiclassing, one way or another. There are many ways to stealth up in all of the above. Your absolute best bet is 3pp material of course, since they don't hate guns like paizo does, but even in 1pp, you can still get what you want from here or there... not as much, not as easily, but it's out there for the taking.

Remember: For single shot guns, the *usual* method of building for attacks must not be blindly followed. Guns are already a different beast, but a sniper gun build, much like an autofire build, is a different game entirely.

But it's not impossible.

It's the Psionic version of Spell Resistance, I believe.

Power Resistance. Works exactly like SR, as long as psionics/magic transparency is in effect.

Power Resistance.
It's for all intents and purposes (UNLESS playing "psi and magic are completely separate") spell resistance (SR). It's the psionic version, and calls itself power resistance in psi books, but under default settings it and spell resistance are exactly the same thing.

Prove it. PoWE damage alone is fucking outrageous.

lmgtfy.com/?q=barbarian DPR

lmgtfy.com/?q=Ragelancepounce barbarian

>inb4 purely hypothetical mounted rager build no one would ever actually play in a normal campaign

774HP, DR is 20/epic&lawful

So uh, yeah actually. Unless extremely optimized it's not a sure thing without a +6 equivalence however to your weapon to deal with the 'epic' part. The biggest impediment to the barbarian pulling it off is his WBL. With an AC of 49, reliably hitting if you're limited to some +2 weapon will combine with the DR 20 to ravage your output by quite a large margin.