Erm guys... He's back

So the He has returned to the fold of GW
Thoughts?

I liked his books, they were fun and I always wanted him to write the Black Templar codex. Anything's better than Cruddace.

ABANDON SHIP

>HAMMERS OF SIGMAR COMING THROUGH

I thought he'd started to redeem himself toward the end of his GW career.

So whats everyone's beef with this guy? His Ultramarine fluff? The one thats been part of the UM since their first codex?.

Nothing he writes could be worse than the garbage GW have been putting out lately.

Sadly this
"Warhammer" these days user, not GW
Fucking eyeroll

Well, it's not good news. But it's not bad news either.
I guess this is just news.

Not sure what else can be said. Dont like his hair so that's something.

I wonder what he'll work on.

One race will be hyped up to sell units, can you guess which side it will be and which Storm Host will be chosen?

Age of Sigma is dead in the water, Matt Ward will kill it.

I think you're correct that Matt Ward will kill it.
But you're wrong assuming that he will work on Age of Sigmar.

tbqh,
in wh40k he did good.
People complained about GK and NewCrons back then, but truth is this: Under his authorship the rules were decent enough, tournamentplay was fun and interesting.

with release of the last edition and the codici released after he had gone away, 40k has dropped off immensely in Germany in my opinion. The rules got shit, overcomplicated, the arms race was ridiculously accelerated and new rules got published at an alarming rate - making it impossible to keep up imho.

Ward being back to GW, maybe even writing again for 40k would be something I'd be excited about. Sure, the newest codex will always be the strongest - BUT all his codexes were balanced against each other and not ridiculously OP.

Eeeeeeh it depends.

His LOTR game is by far the best game GW put out.
On the other hand, his fluff can be a bit dodgy.

If 40k gets an AoS-ification, it can be good or bad, depending on whether he writes the fluff or the crunch.

I'm pretty sure he'll be extra careful not to fuck up this time though so that's good.

>ward writes his masterpiece
>warhammer reaches its end times

>warhammer 40k nears its times of ending
>ward returns

I'm scared

Matt Ward pitches and aims everything to kids. He tells kids why this is awesome, why it they should buy this, what, how and when to do things.

He removes player agency from the game which is cancer for older gamers which is the life blood of the game.

Our savior has returned! Our faith was nit in vain! O, blessed day!

>warhammer 40k nears its times of ending
It's not happening, stop pretending it is.

the fuck are you talking about?
The stuff he wrote made for great and fun tournaments with varied army lists

>WHF isn't ending, stop pretending it is.

I don't know user, the new Eldar stuff seriously hints at some end times stuff for me.

Hopefully not, since the lore is too big and dense to be scrapped, but rather changed bit by bit, to put it back on good tracks.

Just laking the rules better would go a long way in making the whole experience more enjoyable, and Wars is not bad for that.

I would send him multiple death threats if it wasn't highly illegal.

However I'd rather have him writing the Nid Codex than that the guard loving faggot Crudance.

He's the best GW ever had. Low bar to clear, I know, but still.

>Ultramarines now the OP force in Horus Heresy
>Every Ultramarine is basically Guillman
>Every Grey Knight/Knight errant with ultramarine origin is basically Draigo
Prepare those primarch hearts guys, we got some names to carve into them

>THE ULTRAMARINES ARE LITERALLY JESUS
>THEY CAN DO NO WRONG
>SPIRITUAL LEIGE

Fuck off.

You're fucking retarded. Stop baiting.

I don't hate him but he clearly didn't have a full grasp on 40k lore, his WHFB (RIP) and LOTR work was a lot better than anything he wrote for 40k

The end times will come, thats for sure, but it wont be like AoS where everything gets scrapped. It will be the same thing they've been doing recently, move forward the current set of 'apocalypse scenarios' via campaigns and boxed sets and replace them with new 'apocalypse scenarios' thus going back to the status quo with a fresh layer of paint. For example: The fact that Baal was threatened by Nids was something that was 'happening' since like 5th ed (?) and now its been explored that while the BA fought off the hordes they suffered losses and Ka'bhanda and his demon host is now going to Baal or something like that, same with the Wulfen, it was something thats been in the fluff for years and no one touched it until now and we got Fenris getting fucked up.

Now its the Eldar 'apocalypse' with the Rhana Dandra or whatever which will move the setting forward and open up new shit to write about, the 13th crusade will probably get a new fluff piece and my bet is Abaddon will break out of Cadia as the Demon Primarchs rush out of the warp, then the Black Legion will splinter which will give the Imperium an opportunity to defend itself.

The dude who created the Eldar is far far far superior in every aspect.

ABADDON SHIP!

You know it's happening, don't fool yourself, repent for shit is going to get broken and big!

His fluff is garbage, unoriginal and is the opposite of what makes 40k appealing.

Ah, so you think Ward invented 'Ultrawankery'?.

Noooo, but he did give it a throne bigger than the Emperors.

Grey knights fluff for me.

Just have him write the rules for everyone and nothing else
Their games will finally have some kind of balance

Go read 2nd edition codex ultramarines.

Ward's biggest offense weren't ultrasmurfs but WHFB 6th Edition Demons.

True, that made the army unplayable.

Ward wrote pretty good rules. His fluff is found wanting, which most people will never drop because, lets face it, they play the game for the fluff, not the mechanics or "High Quality Miniatures"

Someone learned about 40k through 1d4chan

>Thoughts?
pic related.

fuck off.

Ultimately, the Ward hate was lessening for the simple reason of that the other options were worse. Not that he was getting any better.

Nevertheless an argument could be made that his involvement in WHFB in it's final years is what killed it. GW knew he was a terrible fit for the game, they'd known it for years and yet they let him write the 8th Ed Magic Lores and all three of the elf books.

With hindsight I think it's fairly obvious that Age of Sigmar was their intention from the start of 8th Ed.

I never did read what he was supposed to have written so badly..

You have no clue. Nobody gives a shit about daemons. But there are legions of non-smurf Marinefags who got butthurt having to read that their plastic soliders literally pray to Marneus Augustus and Robot Girlyman.

He progressed a shit lore idea instead of stopping it and replacing it with something not faggy.

>flying dreadnoughts and deep striking land Raiders
>good rules

>This is a viable build for GKs

He writes shitty fluff but good crunch (for GW anyway).

Draigocast Eternals incoming

Why can't they rehire Alessio Cavatore or Andy Chambers?

Let me guess, The Celestant-Prime will turn out to be Draigo.

He's a poor fluff writer but an excellent producer of codices.

Still better than Cruddace whos only good codex was the IG one.

Fuck you Cruddace, I want my Templars back.

He'll be writing the Eldar section of End Times 40k.

please Please PLEASE

let him write the new ork codex.

Let me guess, he secretly already wrote all the outline for the Beast Series. Why else would a Mega-Ork humble the High Lords of Terra on Terra itself with Ork Death Stars and Hover-Gargants?

>Fuck you Cruddace
I play tyranids without flyers.
Please try to understand my rage.
Exactly.
Everyone complains about power creep but his codices were really, really great.
they were fun, fluffy and every army had a lot of character. also, they played great against each other. If he kept making codices and eventually wrote/helpoed writing all of them we would have a balanced 40k.
No one is overpowered when everyone is.
he really should not be allowed to touch the fluff, EVER.

Chaos Marine player here.

It sure must be hard having rules written by Ward.

>Everyone complains about power creep

If we're being frank the power creep wasnt that bad for the books that were updated in 5th edition and the real problem was that over half of the codex were made in 4th ed or earlier and languished there until 6th. Black Templars and Dark Angels had more FAQ pages than codex and Eldar/Necrons/Tau were severely out of date while Orks/CSM/Demons were made at the end of 4th and by 5th the entire designing of armies changed in direction which made them feel outdated even they kind of werent.

i haven't read that... but that sounds fucking awesome.

Now I'm going to go cry in the corner since my army CAN'T do that.

>he real problem was that over half of the codex were made in 4th ed or earlier and languished there until 6th
and that's hardly ward's fault.
But back then, everyone lost their mind and for years people blamed him for the ruining of 40k.

Didn't a warphopping grey knight already appear in the end times fluff.

enjoy your orks wanting to be ultramarines now. and not just for shit and giggles.

at least the real world got him to get a fucking haircut

Alessio works for Warlord Games.

lol really?
Please source me on that it sounds hilarious.

yeah, at some point in the Khaine book, some elves go into the realm of chaos to go retrieve some macguffin and encounter and team up with a silver armoured knight who's hand spit fire and carried a great sword and shield who skullfucked daemons left and right

ok my love for whimsical crossovers is going crazy over that.
Good sillyness by GW

WHEN EVERYTHING IS BROKEN NOTHING IS BROKEN

>He removes player agency from the game
Just like formations.

Yes user, balance is when everything is on the same level.

It's a foreboding.

GW is using Matt Ward not to AoSify 40k, but rather to merge both game lines together. The 40k end times will end with a warp storm that will swallow everything and drop the 40k universe into AoS, both lines will be compatible.

I kinda hope that Ward is writing crunch for Sisters and that he is the herald of plastic.

Sisters will get a board game with 10 sisters and a canonness that costs $200 and that's it.

his 40k books were solid and fun at both a casual level and a competitive level. Plenty of variety beyond the power builds too, though people often forget it.

his LotR stuff is some of the best rules work to come out of a company with a lot of really good rules in its library (despite the flagship rulesets of WHF/AoS/40k being mediocre at best).

his fantasy rules were shit

His fluff was largely just a callback to 2nd edition, which pissed off the 3rd/4th edition crowd.

Memes poisoned the well, though. Now the 1d4tards have an irrational hatred for him because of stuff he didn't have any control over.

But literally the entirety of the 40k fluff for the last decade has been doing that hasn't it? I must admit, I'm very out of touch with current 40k (like, haven't picked up anything in over a year, and haven't picked up a new codex in even longer), but I seem to recall pretty much every codex I picked up in the last couple editions has literally been "minute to midnight" since WH has been stuck at m41.999 since like, the early 2000s, or whenever the whole eye of terror campaign happened

>his fantasy rules were shit
The ones he did for White Dwarf were kinda fun.

>all these Wardians

I never thought I'd see the day when enough time had past where Matt Ward's failures would be forgotten.

He made armies and characters entirely different people, he didn't leave much up to the influence of the player, everything was defined to Matt Ward's liking. You didn't like what Matt Ward liked? Well fuck you.

He also harkened back to the 1st and 2nf editions, even though those editions had nothing to do with the flavor and feel of theater editions. The setting was more serious and Matt Ward but in forced the old lore into the new setting without any regard. There was nothing wrong with the 1st and 2nd edition fluff, but they couldn't be mixed in with the later edition fluff.

Drago is the prime example of Matt Ward's creative limits. Drago is simply a bad ass because Ward says so, no reason, no cause, he's just better than a daemon primarch because he's writing the lore.

He'd do some balancing work for Chaos, Nids and Orks but if you're anyone else you'd fight tooth and nail to keep Ward away from your favorite characters.

>Drago is simply a bad ass because Ward says so, no reason, no cause, he's just better than a daemon primarch because he's writing the lore.
Yes, let's ignore that mighty heroes exist in the Imperium that take on incredible odds and win.
Let's ignore that a REGULAR HUMAN took on Ann'grath, mightiest of all Bloodthirsters, the one that went toe to toe with Sanguinius himself, in CC and fucking WON.
Your entire post encapsulates the hamfisted nonsense Veeky Forums posters use to denigrate some, but will turn around and hold up bad codices like Daemonhunters (which had no original lore of it's own at all and had shit rules even for it's time) and Oldcrons (that allowed for NO actual player choice in theme) as great work.

>if you didn't explicitly say one thing is retarded then you must think it's great.

It's retarded as well. A regular human can't take on Ann'grath. That's dumb, Daemonhunters was dumb, Matt Ward was dumb.

Nobody is celebrating his narrative writing, retard. His books were well written rulewise in that they allowed for lots of varied and flavourful options and didn't use that as an excuse to make them weak either.

His shitty fluff isn't any worse than anything GW has shat out since then anyway.

There were some of his fantasy rules I liked, but as a whole they weren't very good.

>he's just better than a daemon primarch because he's writing the lore
Might as well say it's the same for the grey knight that took on angron and won, m8. Demon primarchs dying to grey knights is pretty fuckin' normal.

>Yes, let's ignore that mighty heroes exist in the Imperium that take on incredible odds and win.

Fuck you. Draigo one punching Morty is an abomination of the fluff. It wasn't a good or epic fight, it was wanking at the extreme and anyone who defends this supports cancer.
>Let's ignore that a REGULAR HUMAN took on Ann'grath, mightiest of all Bloodthirsters, the one that went toe to toe with Sanguinius himself, in CC and fucking WON.

Context doesn't matter for you. eh?

Maybe he'll write LotR again which wouldn't be so bad.

"Le it's not meant to be taken serious" reply is vapid and void as your head.

40K isn't a satire or parody. Rogue Trader was that, 40K moved past that. It's a setting of its own right like Star Wars, Dune, or whatever. So when we see bad writing that basically ruins the enjoyment of the setting, then we can call it out.

I dare you to go to the threads of any setting and try the "Not to be taken seriously, it's justa comic, cartoon, etc", I bet a lot of folks will tell you to fuck off as they should.

>Matt Ward REEEEEEE

>So when we see bad writing
thing is, the bulk of the writing for 40k is bad. Draigo and Mortarion aren't any more noteworthy than Aurelian and Angron or Stern and M'Kachen, or Bjorn and Magnus, or Hector Rex and An'ggrath.

Dudes die. Demons in particular, because they can always get recycled.

Fuck you for the second time. No, 40K doesn't have a lot of bad writings. Most of it decent.

All the examples you mentioned were epic fights that took all great sacrifice and effort for the Imperial guys to win because they were facing terrible foes high above their punching level. Again, you motherfucker, context matters.

In contrast, Draigo and Morty fight wasn't even a fight. Draigo casually kills Morty's guard and then one punches. What is this? A slap in the face of an established character and his fans just to wank a new character that Ward created. It's never explained why Draigo is SO powerful. He just is because Ward wrote him this way.

The fact that you using faulty argument after faulty argument to defend this means you literally support cancer. You are bloody monster.

7th Edition Daemons of Chaos armybook killed the whole game singelhandedly. I have a hard time thinking why you would say that you like his stuff.

>Draigo casually kills Morty's guard and then one punches.
Except mortarion killed the grand master of the grey knights as well as his retinue.

>All the examples you mentioned were epic
Not particularly. Hey how about the fight where calgar killed an'ggrath. That's another one I forgot about.

or hell, how about the time where everyone ever killed m'kar the reborn, to the point where he's now suffered perma-death (likely from embarrassment)

I like 40k quite a bit, and have for decades, but I am under no illusions as to its quality of writing.

People get pissed when things that are supposed to be damn near demigods (daemon primarchs for one) get bowled over like a chump by Literally Who the Gary Stu.

It would be different if it was some desperate confrontation where a mortal rose to the status of a hero and beat back a daemon primarch but at great loss (1st War for Armageddon) but we didn't get that story. We get a guy no one ever heard of before that is suddnly the most badass Grey Knight evar who just solos the Realm of Chaos likes it's no big thing. It reads like a bad teenager's self-insert fanfiction.

40k has never had deep or impressive writing but we enjoy the conglomerate of sci-fi/fantasy elements and the setting that has arose from them. People would/are equally as upset with things like Star Wars getting the same treatment and it too is not very well written.

>where a mortal rose to the status of a hero and beat back a daemon primarch but at great loss (1st War for Armageddon)
it was a grey knight who did that, m80

>Except mortarion killed the grand master of the grey knights as well as his retinue.

Set up for Draigo to go full Saiyan and create a fluff abomination.

>Not particularly. Hey how about the fight where calgar killed an'ggrath. That's another one I forgot about.

What's with you butchering the context? The Grey Knights started a banishing ritual and Anrgy-roth was getting banished. While his body was falling apart he did one last gambit, he grabbed Calgar and tried to bite his head off. Calgar used this to his advantage and shattered the daemons head when it drew close enough. Again CONTEXT MATTERS!

>or hell, how about the time where everyone ever killed m'kar the reborn, to the point where he's now suffered perma-death (likely from embarrassment)

M'kat fluff is mocked and criticized rightly by many. And you know who created M'kar and wrote his fluff? Ward. So you are not doing yourself any favors.

I like to think of pretty much all 40k fluff and writing as the "Imperial propaganda" version of events, heavily stylized and repeated until desperate actions become disgustingly heroic and grimstupid, mundane bodies like the Administratum turned into massive, heaving organizations that cause as much trouble as they solve.

This is because I can take some of the 40k fluff in stride, but other stuff I just flat out ignore.

Irrelevant. Angron fight was an glorious battle of sacrifice and bloodshed.

Draigo's one is of wankery and disgrace.

The funny thing is that BL retconned the Draigo story to make it more believable. Even the author of the audiobook said that the story as presented in the codex was pure bullshit. You know what happened? GW retconned it back to its original version and made it WORSE!

>Today, L J Goulding gives a little insight into how he really feels about one of Warhammer 40,000’s most infamous heroes:
>“So, Mortarion’s Heart is here. I know that a lot of you have been looking forward to this one. Mostly, this seems to be because you love the Grey Knights, the Death Guard or Mortarion himself, but plenty more of you apparently can’t wait to find out what the story behind the Codex background text might actually be. Believe me, if I hadn’t been the one to write it, I’d be feeling exactly the same as you right now. Either way, this is going to be one to remember.

>As I’ve said before, Kaldor Draigo is larger than life. He’s got a legend built up around him, a kind of mystique that borders on dark celebrity, both in the Warhammer 40,000 universe and as a gaming character on the tabletop. Whether you believe that legend in a literal, word-for-word sense is between you and whatever dice-gods you venerate, and if that means you enjoy your games a little more as a result then that’s just awesome.

>Personally, I don’t believe it for a second. I’m a ‘Draigo denier’, if you like – as inspiring as the image is, I don’t believe that a single warrior (short of the Emperor himself) could fight his way through an army of daemonic champions, single handed, then beat a battle-fresh primarch into submission in a fair fight, and finally give him a proverbial slap on his bony rump to send him crying home to Papa Nurgle.

Here is the text from the interview.

I'm aware, along with hundreds of other grey knights plus Emperor knows how many million fucking guardsmen.

It was a cataclysmic fight that saw virtually all of the Grey Knights present to be destroyed and only succeeded because they had obtained Angron's true name.

>Set up for Draigo to go full Saiyan and create a fluff abomination.
it's almost like humble brother captains have made a habit of killing daemon primarchs, because this is not the first time it's happened.

>but context!
Demon primarchs show up, wreck a bunch of shit, then some named hero punks them. They're three for three on it, and none of them are any better written than the others. And only once has the guy doing the punking been killed for it.

>The funny thing is that BL retconned the Draigo story to make it more believable
I doubt you've read the book, because it was even stupider.

That's the smart way to do it. I just don't understand the "bitch about it online" mindset. 40k has never held itself to a very high standard of literature.