What makes you like a NPC?

What makes you like a NPC?

Having them relatable, like a guy that thinks keeping bodies near wells or bloodletting is a bad idea. Or someone that connects with a member of the party in some way asks the group for help with personal issues and is willing to help them out.

*bump for interest

You're not fooling anyone

Lol kay

Actual characterization, instead of a cheap accent or a GM glossing over what the person says.

In other words, 99% of games have unlikeable NPCs because they aren't characters, they're cardboard cutouts because people don't want to actually roleplay.

Personally I like them when they show simple but human actions, such as humming songs when they're lonely, or when they have an habit that's not useful anymore. such as picking up flowers to bring them back home.

Nice

But in some settings those action may not be bad. Like disease actually being carried by bad blood or disease spirits.

What?

Dank

Random happenstance.

Bump for intrest

Them having neat stuff I can loot.

NPCs being helpful and competent goes a long way. You never want a an overpowered GMPC doing you'r work for you, but say a ship captain that knows all the sailing and seamanship stuff the party doesn't and is able to hold his own when attacked by pirates.

useful skills

waifu/husbando potential

As a GM i made a guy my players seem to genuinely enjoy
Basically i made a merchant, but instead of just selling the usual shit he has all sorts of "magical" shit
Like liquid swords, sunrods, stupid rings and all kinds of fuckery

When GM doesn't dick around and they just tell you whant you need to know without pointless bullshit

I'm like an NPC because i just sell people food and say "thank you come again"

I've found it's a total crapshoot. There have been NPCs I've crafted specifically as helpful resources and the party just hates being around them. And there have been one off NPCs who the party routinely goes back to and likes having around even though I've put no thought into them. Even as a player I've seen this happen.

One example I can think of is a Western game where the party routinely hung out with some wannabe-cowboy because the guy was a passive loser who was really easy to bully and razz. His only original purpose was to point the party in the direction of a quest objective and then never show up again.

I also put Rick O'Connell in the last game I ran, and he went over really well with the party.