Have you ever put so much detail into a setting that it became unplayable? As in...

Have you ever put so much detail into a setting that it became unplayable? As in, you would spend so much time calculating and describing the minute changes in the world as time progressed that using it for a regular game would be unfeasible?

Other urls found in this thread:

doom.wikia.com/wiki/Repercussions_of_Evil
stars.chromeexperiments.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

No because I'm not an autist that frequents the worldbuilding threads.

>wordlbuilding is autistic

t. Shitty Player

More like
>Playing a game in your novel

Nice strawman dingus. I'm saying, specifically, that the worldbuilding threads on Veeky Forums are full of autists. Fucking read stupid.

In his defence, your post never said that /wbg/ is full of autists, you said that *you* weren't an autist.

But yeah, /wbg/ is pretty autistic.

You can avoid it by doing the calculating, yes, but don't describe it. Only tell a thing to the players if it matters to them.

I fear doing this.

I wordbuild it to the point where there are specific things that wouldn't work without altering the rules of the DnD (only PnP my players will actually play, they don't want to learn a whole new system) significantly. I wrote it that only certian races have access to certian forms of magic. i.e. humans cast though sheer force of will and it manifests as pyromancy, elves cast using their connection to the cosmos and it manifests as more traditional shit like in the normal spellbook.

I do this as a matter of course.

I pare down the notes I hand the players, then pare it down more, but I wish people would be willing to say, "Sure, before I invest a few hours in building a character, and 2 years in campaigning with this character, I'll read 15 double-spaced pages about the world. After all, GM, you took all the bullshit that 5 different people asked you to put in -everything from underwater elf knights to a society of goo people based on Ancient Greek philosophy to the infuriatingly vague 'no standard fantasy stuff'- and spent weeks of your free time fitting it all into a setting, along with making a world map, pantheon, and history. I can invest half an hour more into making a character that fits."

>/wbg/ is autistic
Where did this meme come from? I frequent /wbg/ and the people there are actually pretty nice and thoughtful.

And then john was an autist.

What?

doom.wikia.com/wiki/Repercussions_of_Evil

And I had to scroll past both KYM and TVTropes to get this, so you know your slow on the memes.

I don't see how that relates to what I said at all though.

OK, let me break it down for you.

1) People are talking about /wbg/ and how the folks there are autists

2) You say that you frequent /wbg/ and haven't noticed signs of autism

3) I make reference to a famous story in which the protagonist discovers he is one of the monsters all along

When you put this together, you arrive at the conclusion- The reason why /wbg/ seems normal to you, and autistic to other people, is because you are an autistic follower of /wbg/.

Well you haven't explained how /wbg/ is autistic so I don't feel inclined to believe you that I am an autist.

Not the same guy, but I always thought that the protagonist became a zombie in that instant because it's intentionally shitty writing

I had not considered that interpretation, but it also works.

God I wish you were my gm

I really do

And I wish you were my player, user.

but my group imploded, and now while we were picking up the pieces with new people somehow I ended up a player in someone else's Dungeon World game. Kill me now

Sure. I wanted to do a hard-sci-fi gritty spacefaring campaign, not unlike SyFy's new show The Expanse. I asked myself "ok, travel considerations, I mean how big is space, really"

stars.chromeexperiments.com/

My reaction to the vastness of space, the emptiness of just our own galaxy, our relative insignificance and its own insignificance relative to God was so violent that the campaign ended up being an earthbound tongue-in-cheek Power Rangers story.

Wait, so humans are fire mages only? I hope their dedication to a single school puts them somewhere between firebender-tier and Harry Dresden-tier pyromancy.

Go on irc or something and exchange contact info. Or one of you should post a 10minutemail address, and let the other send contact info. It's really not that hard.

I live by the rule that any sci-fi game either needs FTL, or takes place in a tiny, tiny area. Like one planet and the moon(s). I've been working on rules for a game set in Inner System Sol (Earth, Mars, and a few leashed asteroids) and the travel times are unreal.

though it goes give me license to indulge my realistic healing times fetish

Nah, I reigned in my autism after I realised it was becoming unplayable

Wasn't sure if I should post this here or , but that thread went to shit, so I'll post it here.

I had been making a setting for my own enjoyment in which I initially wanted magic/the force/alchemy/probability manipulation to both be accessible to practically everyone such that a person's ability to use it would depend on how good of a person they are and how well the understand how the phenomena they are trying to do works, AND obey physical laws so that the setting could could still be somewhat hard science. After trying and failing to figure out how to reconcile the two without just hand waving it, I quickly realized that I can't have it both ways. The implication that the only innovation and scientific progress would probably come from the people who can't use magic (i.e. those who are completely evil) has made me decide to do a 180 and remove magic completely.

Am an autist. can confirm that there exists at least one who frequents /wbg/

Has character death ever become an issue?

The fact that you felt the need to post that is autistic.

Wow, I'm retarded. Character death BY OLD AGE. The long travel times sound like they'd be slightly difficult for an RPG party.

What about relativistic travel times? It'd only be an issue if the party splits up.

But wouldn't that carry the caveat of going on a fetch quest then coming back and it'd been 18 years or some crap?

My knowledge of how time dilation works is screwy at best. The apparent time passing for everyone outside of the craft would be equal to the time it takes light to travel the distance between point A and point B, right?

Still in playtests, so it hasn't come up. And by 'unreal' I mean that it's a minimum 4-month voyage from Earth to Mars, and a couple more if you're going to the asteroid belt afterwards.

So it's not 'aging to death' that I'm worried about, more that I'll have to radically rethink my idea of time scales for getting stuff done to keep the plot going, and come up with something to keep the players occupied during months on the ship instead of just saying, "time passes". (because at that point why not just FTL).

>they don't want to learn a whole new system
Play a one-shot of Apocalypse World adventures or something. Show them that not all systems take that much effort to learn.

What's wrong with ska? I assume the picture is talking about ska punk, and not the actual subgenre of jazz.

Some if my friends like "D&D" but dislike any sort of rules at all. I made this kind of custom charsheet for the freeform games we play.

>friends want a freeform game
>still put in hit locations

Doing God's work, user. Now roll 1d100 on the random weather table.

Crappy trolls and jaded assholes who cry the word "autist" as if it actually has any meaning on this board aside:
This is not so much an issue of worldbuilding, but rather an issue of you as a narrator and storyteller. You could take a pre-existing world and run into the same issue if you just over-focused on it. The amount of detail and exposition dedicated to world-building needs to be considered carefully, and is a matter of your capabilities to balance out exposition and interaction within your own narrative. An extremely detailed and complex world can still be presented in a manner that is concise and non-intrusive to the actual flow of the story.

It's also a matter of the particular player base and their expectations. You tailor the type of stories (scenarios) and expo dumps to their taste. I play with some people who are actually willing to listen and talk about the ins-and-outs of the world I build for hours, not really carring if the "story" moves forward or not - we spend three 5+ hours player sessions literally with them taking a stroll through the city with basically nothing happening aside from them browsing through market place, visiting some shrines and temples and chatting up with locals - and everybody was actually very satisfied at the end.

Then I have other players who really don't give two fucks about the world, who literally fly from one action to another and stop listening if I give them more than three sentences on the background. Both groups play within the same world of my own creation and both seem to be reasonably satisfied with me as a GM.

I have way more of a problem with making a rigid background for my own characters than I do with settings. Probably a general selfishness for something that's "mine", instead of a playground.

Thread dead for good?
Shame, I always find this an interesting subject for discussion.

THERE IS ALWAYS HOPE, user.

Usually not when the thread is past page 9...

I was actually reading GURPS 4e Space the other day to mine it for setting ideas for a Traveller campaign.
I think it has a table giving you the percentage difference due to time dialation for different fractions of c, among other useful sci-fi stuff

I love you user. No homo.

ALL the homo.

Please take this seriously, because I am not being facetious or joking when I say that you have, with that post, displayed very autistic behaviour. Try looking up the diagnostic criteria for various autism spectrum disorders, it might actually be intriguing for you

All the best to you you massive sperglord

>person says they don't see autistic behavior
>they must be an autist
That line of reasoning is extremely flawed. If one person thinks a community is autistic and the other doesn't then how is it fair to assume that the person that thinks that community isn't autistic is an autist themselves? It's just faulty logic.

I wanted to try my hand running a game, but I got stuck looking for a group and a good time to play for a very long time and just kept adding details to a setting that became increasingly homebrew. Now the world is so big I have literally no idea how to introduce the players into it without emailing them a small essay on the state of world affairs over the past seventy years and how it influence their character's birth and upbringing.

Break the stuff you have into major bullet points.

Put bullet points on one page.

Reduce number of bullets until ONLY one page remains.

Give them that.

Go back to tumblr you faggot

This is such a remarkably fallacious post with such incredibly idiotic leaps of logic I'm amazed you can't see the problem yourself

Start with the premise of your argument and go from there, maybe there is a little hope for you, maybe you really aren't so incapable of basic reasoning, but I doubt it

Having a ton of detail is fine, and in my opinion, is really good. However, you need to make sure you don't drop an info bomb on your players right at the start of the game, cause they probably won't want to listen to it.

What all those details are good for is that if your PCs ask about anything, you will have an answer for them. Let them know the world is fleshed out so they will be more inclined to ask "what do I know about (subject)", and that's where you can give them a detailed nugget of info. Also, at that point they'll probably be able to remember more of what you tell them, as it will be associated with various events and interesting points in their adventure.

Finally, if they are the wandering kind of playgroup (and you've fully filled up the world map), they will not be wandering away from detailed portion of the map, and you will feel less inclined to railroad as they will constantly be coming across some flavorful town, dungeon, person, etc.

No. I worldbuild stuff for the express purpose of running games and hosting players in those games.

The only things in the world that are left open are things like dungeons, the old rivalries, states where something could change or be influenced by a group of dedicated people. Which is the whole point of tabletop games.

I mean really, it just makes no sense to me why you wouldn't worldbuild this way; when you worldbuild about a family feud going on between two groups for generations, why would you run it to its completion? You should leave it up in the air for the players to decide. In some ways you are leaving the world a bit like a video game world, lots of people with open problems. The difference is these problems should get fixed or have other things that happen as time goes on, not in a state of limbo once the game begins.

Besides worldbuilding and tabletop in general is such a fluid hobby, and since all worldbuilding is mostly taken up in the head, I don't see why it's such a big deal for large events that shake things up by the players is a problem. If anything all the work you did before is just the blank state for next time you play.

Please explain how I make leaps of logic instead of just resorting to namecalling.

Go read Ender's Game and it's 3 sequels, they're all great and dealing with this shit is a central concern

No because I'm not autistic

Y'know I did actually read Ender's Game, but then all of the other books were a bit intimidating. Which books are you referring to? I know Speaker for the Dead is supposed to be the 'direct' sequel.

Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide and Children of the Mind are all one coherent storyline.
Ender is in his mid 30s in the second book, mid-60s in the third and fourth, all three of which take place 2000 years after the end of Ender's Game, when the name "Ender" has come to be equivalent to "Hitler" now that everyone knows that the Formics were intelligent. Time dilation, yo.
Possibly my favorite consequence is that at one point, Valentine writes an essay as Demosthenes where she uses the local slang of the planet she's currently on to illustrate a point about aliens (framling for humans on your planet, utlanning for humans from another planet, raman for aliens you can talk to and have peace with, and varelse for aliens you can't talk to and will inevitably go to war with). Ender hops on a ship, goes FTL, and hits the brakes. By the time he reaches his destination, framling, utlanning, raman and varelse have become THE scientific terminology for categorizing beings in relation to one another has regards to alienness.

user, user, it's bait.
Also check'd

Why? I am legit interested in why you build a game world that is impossible to run with the rules of the system you are designing for.