Help Veeky Forums, my players have requested a megadungeon! I know how to make a dungeon, and I'm totally up for it...

Help Veeky Forums, my players have requested a megadungeon! I know how to make a dungeon, and I'm totally up for it, but I have no idea what to do to make it not shit. Any tips? Any model megadungeons to look at?

Other urls found in this thread:

suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/28265015/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Mega-Church of Asmodeus.

Key.

I've always wanted to run a campaign that was just one huge city and one huge dungeon that the players can explore at their own pace. Each having different sections and quests etc.

What's the point of those five secret doors between 50 and 58, if you can plainly see two or three of them regardless of which room you are currently in?

>Not just making the city the dungeon.

Quick, someone post the 5-dimensional dungeon!

Buried step pyramid that gets larger the further down you go. Not all the rooms on a floor link up, so you need to keep switching staircases.

The bottom floor is a pure labyrinth with the boss battle in the centre.

How do you inject a plot into a megadungeon?

Go to the bottom! Defeat Moloch! Get back the Amulet of Yendor!

>not just making the dungeon the city

Primary quest giver is a LN Paladin named "Dredd". The "mega" plot just writes itself from there.

Fa/tg/uys teach me the ways of making a good dungeon. I'm afraid I'm tainted by video games dungeon design which is basically throwing few room and corridors together, putting some traps and groups of monsters here and there and few loot chests or something like that. Sometimes I add some kind of riddle or some more interesting item somewhere but that's pretty much it. How do I make big impressive dungeons with lots of passages, original stuff etc that require the players to think and plan at the same time and not boring them?

A giant ant colony known for hoarding shiny and or magically significant items. To keep their underground ecosystem up and running they farm various plants and fungi, which attracts creatures other than the ants. If you want even more mega, the colony was built on top of an ancient dwarven city, who had discovered a labyrinth that's millions of years old, and carved out by the Old Ones.

not 'inject' but 'generate' from the interaction of the different areas, factions, and personalities of the megadungeon

What sort of person actually goes and lives in a megadungeon though? Also, is it still a dungeon if you don't sort of move in a constant linear way?

suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/28265015/
This thing?

That depends on what the dungeon actually is. For example did you play Darks Souls? The whole game is pretty much build like a megadungeon.

Patrician tastes, my good man.

Ask your players to write in a strong motivation into their backstories and let them make the plot

The model megadungeon is, of course, Undermountain. Old and ridiculously huge TSR-made dungeon from 1975. At least nine levels, possibly more (I think I remember you could randomly generate parts of it), each level much bigger than .

Another huge thing is Gundabad, it was as a module for the LotR RPG, really six connected dungeons, most of which have multiple levels and some of which are semi-randomized in a really good way that makes them essentially endless.