Magic: The Gathering Modern General
(competitive discussion)

Esper and Mardu are Tier 1 Edition

Other urls found in this thread:

mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern#paper
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/modern
strawpoll.me/10898271
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It's not like Nahiri is very good when she gets hit with Anguished Unmaking. Or just like, gets Thoughtseized away.

The overall and paper Modern Metagame

Decklists:
>mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern#paper

Modern deck primers link:
>mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/modern

Reminder that Mardu and Esper will be tier 1 next month

>I don't need a 2-mana card that does a specific job because I have a 4-mana card that might be able to do that job on turn 7 at the earliest

Brilliant thinking.
I don't know why we're all not running Karns, we have all the time and mana in the world to accomplish anything we want.

It's like you're just ignoring the deck and the things I'm saying so you can focus on semantics. I've played against Nahiri decks and done very well against them. Not that it matters because unless it's making top 8 at SCG events on a regular basis, it's fucking SHIT.

>subject in namefield
Off to a good start. Now we just need some stale superfriends memes and I will feel at home.

Can someone explain to me is esper good or just a meme
If good pls link me up with some decklists

It's not just good, it's tier 1. Once you rev for 15 there are not a lot decks that can stop you.

Of course I'm ignoring the things you're saying because you're contradicting your own arguments.

Let's recap the conversation.
>Look at my decklist
>Dismember seems odd, why not Terminate?
>Because it only costs 1 mana. (So, here you're making the point that it's important if cards cost less mana)
>Actually, why not Dreadbore instead? It does more than Terminate or Dismember.
>Because I have a 4 mana card that does that. (See, now there's the part where you're going against your previous argument)
>Well, that card's pretty vulnerable, isn't it?
>Nahiri is vulnerable to all sorts of stuff, I don't need Dreadbore. (Here your argument for saying why it doesn't matter that your card is vulnerable is by pointing out that another card is also vulnerable to the same things)

You're just not really trying to make any sense.

How about Tarfire in delver memes?

They are not as good. I don't think there ever were a deck that used Tarfire over Lightning Bolt it just had both. So it's not really funny.

>

>JtMS would be a fairly safe unban for modern

Opinions?

The poor user is just retarded. He won't take any serious (and actually helpful) criticisms about his trash meme deck.

I mentioned Sorin as a joke. Also this started from someone requesting to see my decklist, not from me asking for advice. So please, shove your opinions back up your ass where they came from.

>I mentioned Sorin as a joke

It's so hard to tell when people are joking on the internet. I guess your decklist was just a joke too.

it ran one tarfire in addition to four bolts. is there anything relevant in this format with 3 toughness anyway? I admit I'm not thinking super hard, but I can't come up with anything.

>IT WAS MERELY A JEST

He is still right you know

>Actually, why not Dreadbore instead? It does more than Terminate or Dismember.

Not that user but Dreadbore is sorcery speed and that's sometimes a huge hurdle. I play grixis Faeries and my normal method for dealing with Planeswalkers is a bolt to the face or booping them with manlands

No, he's not right. You faggots just don't get it do you. There's no such thing as right or wrong when you're splitting hairs. Does Jund run 4 Bolts, or 3 Bolts and a Tarfire? There's literally no correct answer to the question, so just do what the fuck ever. Dreadbore is 2 restrictive mana and sorcery speed, Dismember is essentially 1 generic mana and instant speed. There are upsides and downsides to both, so sitting there shaking uncontrollably in your chair while you try to correct someone on the internet in a matter with no correct answer is fucking retarded.

But please, do continue.

When the rebuttal is "Sorin can do it", Sorcery speed doesn't seem to be the relevant issue.

Well, control in modern could use a boost. The unbanning of JtMS would make UWx t1/t2

why not tarfire?

It would also make it like $500 more expensive.

please don't

strawpoll.me/10898271
strawpoll.me/10898271
strawpoll.me/10898271

^^ if you do not complete this strawpoll, your mother will die in her sleep tonight.

Yeah that's just a weird thread, I'm jut explaining the legit reason people don't normally go for Dreadbore.

I think you're underestimating JtMS because you haven't played with/against him that much

>Does Jund run 4 Bolts, or 3 Bolts and a Tarfire? There's literally no correct answer to the question
4 Bolts is the correct answer. I'm not saying Dreadbore is necessarily better but you did seem to contradict yourself before.

You're dragging this back to the Dreadbore v. Dismember part, but the relevant point here is that "Sorin was just a joke" is not being accepted. The other user was still right because you said a bunch of stupid shit and are now trying to retread over it in the most pathetic way possible.

There is no option that fits me. Now my mother is going to die you sick fuck.

why the fuck would you run 3 bolts and a tarfire

JTMS is probably fine, but your post (assuming it's you) is almost 100% wrong regarding his power level. He is still the best 4 mana planeswalker by far. While nahiri straight ends the game when you ult. Jace usually ends the game after a couple activations of his +2 or 0. You don't play him for his ult. You threaten the ult to force your opponent to try and expend resources to deal with him.

So I was right earlier and you ARE just a pair of faggots arguing semantics because you've nothing better to do.

Tribal is another card type for your Goyfs.

If you look around, pretty much the only deck in black and red that ever picks Dismember over Dreadbore/Terminate is Living End, and there's an obvious reason for that.

can someone please explain to me if esper is good
without memes
if it is, link decklist

Nah, you were wrong earlier. That's kinda the whole point.

it is bad unless your meta is all jund and grixis midrange.

Congratulations pigeon, you've knocked over the pieces and shit all over the chessboard. Now it's time to strut around victoriously with your chest puffed out.

Bye.

Bye then.

>jazz hands

So rest in peace?

Would jtms unban just make mill even better?

Well mill is terrible to begin with, so it's a nonissue.

are you trolling or just retarded?

Try it for yourself
u can find decklists on mtgtop8
u basically counter everything then cast sphinx's revelation for 15

All menes aside, esper draw go is a solid, skill intensive deck with quite a few good MU's(including some popular T1/T2 decks). Furthermore it can be tailored to hate on a specific archetype quite easily. The reason it's not played all that much is because most people find both playing with and against it boring, and because when it wins, it wins slowly so you're going to miss a lot of wins due to timeouts.

Really? Most of the decks I've seen also splash green and opt for a mixture of Abrupt Decay and Maelstrom Pulse. You see the odd one-of in Jund lists for the players that are a bit antsy about Tron but that's it.

Thank you for not turning my deck into a meme. You're good anons

Alright, so let's do a quick search on MTGTop8.
>Jund in Modern
1292 decks matching
>Jund in Modern with Dismember
>Jund in Modern with Dreadbore or Terminate

I'm sure if you look around, you'll see mostly the same thing with other decks with B/R manabases.

Well, what do you play in your 75 for graveyard hate?

Whatever happened to Hangarback Walker?

Ooze, but I don't play Jund. I play Abzan CoCo so I sort of need the graveyard myself. I also already have an out vs Dredge.

What do you mean? Nothing happened to it.

>Scooze
>Out to Dredge

u 'avin a giggle m8?

You hardly ever see anyone running it now.

There is only one guy playing Dredge in my LGS. The only real problem I have with it is Conflagrate. I'm not going to fill my sideboard with stuff that ruins my own gameplan just hit that card.

It was never really played. This is the modern general.

Conflagrate and Darkblast fuck Abzan Company up, for sure.

He doesn't actually run Darkblast in his list. Basically his only interaction is Conflagrate so it's definitely not impossible for me to combo off.

It was played in Affinity for a while.

By retards. It's a super slow card. Better at grinding out

There might have been a couple of people falling for it just because "it is expensive so it must be good right?"
It really is too slow to be worth it in Affinity. It was good in Standard though.

Reminder that Dredge should run Gifts because it works with Narcomoeba.

This place stoops to new levels of stupidity every day

>a turn 4 aggro deck that relies on precise balance to achieve the necessary synergistic qualities should play a 4 mana card in an off-color to put 1/1s into play

Kill yourself, my man.

>Not running Darkblast

It's like he 'wants' to die to Infect or something.

>to put 1/1s into play

Not that guy, but to be fair, you're much more likely grabbing 1 Narcomoeba and 1 Prized Amalgam.

Reminder that Crumbling Vestige is the card that will bring back Bloom.

Not to mention any other Amalgams in your yard. Or you can dump any spice you like in there. Board into an Iona package.

The huge advantage to bouncelands is their replayability. You only needed one land in hand when you cast Summer Bloom to explode. And if you can't explode, you might be playing the wrong deck. Bouncelands ensure you'll KEEP making your land drops.

is junk still tier 2? I'm thinking of actually buying it, tired of losing.

Look at the cards it gets to play. It will never actually be bad. Jund being better may goes to show how fucking good bolt is.

Any deck that can run lingering souls is instantly bumped up in my books just because that card is busted.

You get better hate cards from the white is right aspect of magic too

>Look at the cards it gets to play.
>Jund being better may goes to show how fucking good bolt is.
>Any deck that can run lingering souls is instantly bumped up in my books just because that card is busted.
Meanwhile Mardu runs both and is considered a joke.

Not him but no goyf is hard. Jund and abzan have more "just drop me and I'll end the game senpai" cards.

I don't think it's a joke. It's not the best but losing goyf and decay/pulse is a big deal, like it or not.

Goyf is overrated. Late game I'd probably rather be dropping an Abbot for the Bloodbraid Elf effect of "oh hey it's a Lilly".

jund isn't even strictly better, there are MU's junk does better

>I'd rather have abbot of standard keep than tarmogoyf

You're beyond help then

well, play it any do well in majors and it will stop being a joke

You can still loop bounce lands, bouncing vestige is great for when you don't want to bounce a bounceland as the deck is already full of them.

You serious?

I don't really get why lingering souls is so underestimated. It's pretty harsh against any beater deck.

Also, personal opinion, Junk is doable without Liliana and Tarmogoyf. It's just completely different deck.

exactly for the reason you pointed out. it's good against straight beat down decks. lots of decks in modern just laugh at it. ad nauseam, tron, coco, scapeshift, storm, Kiki chord, and to a lesser extent, infect don't give a fuck about it.

Mardu really, really wants SFM as a replacement for Goyf, but it's banned.

Well, basically these types of decks are bad against combos anyway without discards, so I don't think that's an issue. I can imagine infect having a hard time against junk anyway due to removal suite.

Play Wall of Omens, cuck aggro shitters forever. Problem solved!

yeah that's why I said to a lesser extent, although abrupt decay lines up poorly against inkmoth nexus and getting a t1 elf pathed feels actively good most of the time. still not a great matchup, but more like 55-45 in junks favor.

Nice to be on the same page on Veeky Forums for once in a while. So basically it boils down to it not helping against worse matchups and the deck being strong against "fair" matchups already.

yeah that's a good, concise way of putting it.

get a fucking room already

xth for blood moon should be banned in modern

yeah man, how many majors have you won with that infamous blue moon deck

>not having an answer to a simple >enchantment
what a faggot

3-0'd an fnm, pretty sure that means the deck's tier 1 like mardu, esper, and spirits.

-1 wormcoil
+1 keranos

Izzet midrange is a thing. It's like grixis midrange, except you don't get terminates or goodies like kcommand but roast acts like terminate and bloodmoon steals games, with counterspells getting you to lategame. Blue moon is sweet

So when is twin getting unbanned?

I mean they basically proved nothing in modern changed since it's banning

I tried keranos in the maindeck for a while, it is fantastic against jund and grixis but pretty bad against almost everything else. Wurmcoil kills them a lot more quickly and can stabilize against aggro decks, which keranos can't. I've still got one keranos in the board though, because he grinds like nothing else.

Chandra is such a nut card, I feel like she's being slept on a bit.

6 CMC is rough, but man does she close games.

>nothing changed

What are you talking about, user? The format became more linear as decks no longer have to interact with each other.

Remember, kids: Richard Garfield didn't intend for you to interact with each other while playing the game. Magic is a contest of building the best solitaire deck!

She's basically pic related but red.

A powerful but very niche win condition for control decks.