In DnD 3.5, if you were to use timestop, then throw a knife, would the knife stop moving the moment it left your hand...

In DnD 3.5, if you were to use timestop, then throw a knife, would the knife stop moving the moment it left your hand, allowing you to set up multiple throwing knife attacks if you wanted to, or would the knife just harmlessly hit the target during the stopped time for some reason?

Other urls found in this thread:

d20srd.org/srd/spells/timeStop.htm
youtu.be/KEff2L_ry5k?t=680
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>d20srd.org/srd/spells/timeStop.htm
The latter.

You could not. The game doesn't account for the time weapons spend in the air otherwise, so it wouldn't here RAW. It would just be any other attack that deals damage, which everything would be invulnerable to until time starts again. A DM might allow it though, because it's basically the least effective thing a wizard could do in a time stop anyway, and it makes a kind of sense

You could do something similar to what you're describing with the highest level diamond mind maneuver in Tome of Battle though since that just gives you 2 full actions (or maybe specifically 2 full attacks. I don't really want to look that up)

It must get very dull having to set up all those knives while everyone else is basically firing bullets machine gun style.

How do her bullets even work? Are they knife-shaped energy pellets, or are they all rubber knives to get around the no killing rule in spellcard duels?

That's boring. So it's literally only helpful if you're going to lame it up as a wizard?

That sounds neat, that might be worth looking into.

Silver Knives.
It's best not to think about it too hard.

>That's boring. So it's literally only helpful if you're going to lame it up as a wizard?
It's just how it works, you know?
You DID pick the game with Vancian-style magic with very specific limitations on spells after all, what did you think you were going to get?

>World-destroying entity
>*DOINK*
>Rubber knife bounces off chest
>"Welp guess I lost gg"

Well you either obey the rules, or Reimu gets serious and reveals her true power, which is more or less 'anti-youkai magic'.

it's probably made vastly more expedient by throwing large bundles of knives at a time, DIO-style - she's certainly drawn doing it like that from what art i've seen, anyway.

i'd make the assumption that the knives are basically energy pellets, yeah, but apparently that isn't the case, according to oh well

>That's boring. So it's literally only helpful if you're going to lame it up as a wizard?
Ayup. It helps that pretty much the only way to get Time Stop in the first place is to lame it up as a wizard.

At that point your options for direct attacks in the frozen time are pretty much just Delayed Blast Fireballs and Explosive Runes and I guess summoning a fuckton of monsters or something. Or indirect stuff, like using spells to trap them in a stone dome or turning the floor into lava.

Yes, the inability to affect stuff is limited to creatures and the objects they hold. Yes, this is kind of dumb and Wizards are dumb and the ones on the coast are dumb for writing it this way.

What if you conjure up a large slab of rock over them?

Generally conjuration needs you to create stuff on a surface that can support it - no summoning blue whales in the air to drop 'em on enemies and such.

Also, weirdly enough dropping large slabs of rock probably wouldn't do that much damage? Feel free to try out some kind of structurally instable thing that could be knocked down with a Fireball or whatever, though. Wizards are kind of bullshit when they actually try.

>on a surface that can support it
Would time-stopped things count as structural support, for the duration of the time stop?

Hey, I have a Sakuya build on 3.5, OP. The only problem is that instead of only using Time Stop for attacking (use that for just DIO teleporting around and cleaning the house and making tea for your mistress), you use Time Stands Still for attacking with your knives, along with Bloodstorm Blade for the knife ricochet factor, of course.

I'm kinda surprised you didn't use this scene for your pic, OP.

Duh.

Anything wrong with 2hus?

youtu.be/KEff2L_ry5k?t=680

What you are looking for is not a spell, but a martial manoeuvre. Specifically, Time Stands Still, the 9th-level Diamond Mind manoeuvre, which lets you take two full attacks in one turn.

It's a mystery! Remember that Time Stop doesn't actually stop time, it just makes you move crazy fast.

>The only problem is that instead of only using Time Stop for attacking (use that for just DIO teleporting around and cleaning the house and making tea for your mistress),
Time Stop lasts for far too short a duration for that to work, though! It doesn't even last a minute.

Now, of course, if you're talking about an Arcane Swordsage with Time Stop it's a different answer. But who the hell actually gets to play an Arcane Swordsage? It's not like the unarmed variant, which actually makes sense in how it works - the Arcane Swordsage is ridiculously complex for the short suggestion that it is and has so many unanswered questions that desperately need answering.

The fighting games show getting punched high enough that the fall takes several seconds is allowed, so the spell card barrier itself is probably causing the non-leathtlity with magic.

And complete invincibility. That helps.

She throws bundles of "knives" in SWR at least without apparent time stop. It's also possible she can use her space manipulation (space and time abilities are connected in 2hu because spacetime) to cheat a bit.

If you want to accuratly rule Sakuya, she probably ends up with time stop as a spell like ability, for an indefinite duration, with no times per day limit, possibly as a free or at least swift action. The rest is semantics if she has that.

The reason Time Stop doesn't let you kill or hurt someone in my setting is because it basically puts you on the same wavelength as Death, and he interrupts people stealing his gig.
Lethally.

>The fighting games show getting punched high enough that the fall takes several seconds is allowed, so the spell card barrier itself is probably causing the non-leathtlity with magic.
Nah, it's like how Soul Calibur characters will say "I avoided your vitals. You'll live.", after stabbing a giant sword all the way through someone's body and slamming them into the ground. Don't think about it too hard.

Well from what I understand all the 2hus are kind of god-tier powerful. So you can obey the rules or Sakuya can age you one billion years in less than a second and watch you turn to dust.

>Breaking the rules of Denmaku

Either Reimu unleashes her "I'm the protagonist" insta-win button or Yukari gaps you into a non-euclidian hellscape to be eternally defiled by an Elder God

>If you want to accuratly rule Sakuya, she probably ends up with time stop as a spell like ability, for an indefinite duration, with no times per day limit, possibly as a free or at least swift action. The rest is semantics if she has that.
I think it'd probably more be an ability that actually stopped time and let her go all Za Warudo, rather than Time Stop's kind of dumb superspeed.

Because "magic" takes a ton of explaining and rationalisation.

She hasn't shown any power like tgat, and rapid aging is more likely to come under Kaguya's instantanious and eternal hax anyway.

It's best to think of the enforcement of spell card ruleoflike the lady of pain. It exists to make the setting work, but if it every actually has to come up, someone already fucked up somewhere or is trying to henderson.

Fluff-wise that is true, but how does that differ crunch wise? Maybe make a differently named ability with "as time stop but..." as the first line.

>Fluff-wise that is true, but how does that differ crunch wise?
Actually allowing you to throw knives within the frozen time that start moving once time starts again, rather than just plinking against the unmoving form of the target? Actual manipulation of other creatures in general, really? Time Stop doesn't actually stop time.

I figured a sane DM would allow that anyway for reasons stated above. Making it explicit if fine though.