Warcraft Lore and RPG Discussion

A real human bean edition

Discuss the lore of the warcraft universe and its potential uses in TTRPGs

previous homeworld:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nT21eSanzQM
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

A question about pandaren and furbolg. Which came first? Are furbolg the offshoot species or are pandaren the offshoot? Or are they totally unrelated?

more importantly, there were actual panda furbolgs and polar furbolgs in northrend.
are they the evolutionary step in between?

Well chances are they evolved separately. IN the real world there's hardly less and more evolved creatures.

That said, the reason Pandaren are smarter is because of the magic in the water of the Vale of eternal blossoms.

Pretty sure they're an off-shoot. Same with the jinyu being branched off murlocs, also because of the Vale water.

I wonder what will happen to the Valley of Four Winds now that their water is all shaed

You have a task before you.

You must bring back one villain, preferably one that has served as a raid boss, back to life. They must get a redemption story so that they can work alongside the players.

Who do you bring back, why, and how is it done?

Hardmode: No Kael'thas.

Blood Lord Mandokir.

He just wants to kill bitches.

Lei Shen realizes that you can't oppress the lesser races if demons/the Old Gods have killed them all so he begrudgingly allies with us under the understanding that it's over as soon a Azeroth is safe

Kel'Thuzad.
The final strike of Arthas is aginst the Burning legion, in return for the Cult of the Damned not getting attacked and forgiven for their deeds and being the second in command to Bolvar.

The Klaxxi Paragons. "Oh yeah sorry about that, we'll just.. Fight the legion k?"

Anub'Arak
he has slowly been pulled back to life by bolvar as some kind of penance to the Nerubians.
For their help ending his torment the players are seen as begrudging allies of the the spiders.

Yes! Was going to said that.
Though Nerubians were quite mad at him, calling him "the traitor king". Always seemed weird to me, doesn't they realised that undead are slave to the Lich King? Or do they know you can free yourself like forsaken and blame him for not having a will strong enough to free himself? Or has he betrayed nerubians before being dead?
Anyway, if he came back, he should start be renouncing any titles. "Anub'Arak the servant"

From my understanding, he betrayed the nerubian people when they looked to be losing the war against the Lich King, agreeing to serve the Scourge in return for keeping his position as the ruler of the now undead nerubians (although as he himself said, there really wasn't any choise; the Scourge was winning the war, so his only choise was to die and serve as a commander in undeath, or die and serve as a slave in undeath).

Kel'Thuzad.

No redemption storyline, instead he's ressurected by Bolvar and forced to work with the Knights of the Ebon Blade to fight the legion.

With personal quests to go hunt down necromantic tomes for him while he sasses you

Garrosh Hellscream.

Shortly after being killed by Thrall, the elements restored the life to Garrosh that Thrall had taken away from him. Thrall's usage of Shamanic abilities was unjust and the elements deemed that Thrall had violated the terms of mak'gora.

Garrosh, now fully resurrected, believes that the elements have given him a second chance to atone for everything he's done and to make amends. Garrosh leaves Gorehowl behind as he begins commanding Warsong remnants and Iron Horde soldiers to follow him into battle. Rather than attacking the Horde and Alliance, however, Garrosh takes the fight directly to the Legion in Tanaan and eventually Hellfire Citadel.

Before anyone from the Horde or Alliance has a moment to actually apprehend him, he has already escaped. He was last seen passing through the Dark Portal...

I was suspecting something like that, do you remember where this is mentioned by any chance?

>Players are tasked with taking down a Demonic stronghold, only to find it full of demon corpses

>Following the trail of gore into the heart of the citadel shows you Garrosh Hellscream and his band of Iron Horde remnants cooling down after the battle.

Zul'jin

Alliance characters beat him up and demand at swordpoint that he work with them or gets stabbed some more. Horde characters broker negotiations between Lor'Themar and Zul'jin which culminates in PCs having to go to sunwell plateau and retrieve the skull of Kael'thas as an offering

>the skull of Kael'thas as an offering
Could we say he's the stepping stone to a much larger plan?

>ANOTHER fucking Garrosh storyline

DELETE THIS

Does this lead to the Amani back with the Horde, and a reformation of the Troll culture, so they can cool down a bit?
If so it's noice.

Never. He is the Prince That Was Promised.

Lei Shen absolutely. The Zandalari have the means to resurrect him and do so, under the pretence of continuing their love/hate relationship. Lei Shen awakens to find the world threatened by the Legion, the world he is partially responsible for protecting. He pushes the Zandalari's shit in as part of a Zandalari-raid with the players help. It ends with Lei Shen announcing that this is not some schism in the ranks of the Mogu and the Zandalar, but the Zandalar overstepping their bounds and Lei Shen continuing his Keeper-given orders of a sort. He's still an enemy, but your goals aligned this once. He fucks off back to the Isle afterwards, Jaina and others give chase but find his Palace empty and Ra missing. Lei Shen gathers his powers and waits.

Empress Shek'zeer, uncorrupted.

She sees the damage a mere organ of a dead Old God can cause to the world, realizes Y'shaarj is now 100% dead, and convinces the remaining Klaxxi and other Mantid to join the fight against the Legion.

My pick already did :^)

These are gentlemen of supreme taste.

Did the last part of the new audiobook get posted here already? Well, I'll post in in any case.

youtube.com/watch?v=nT21eSanzQM

Can a drake become a dragon?

Uh.... Yes?

In Warcraft, Drakes are just juvenile Dragons.

I mean I didn't know that, so thanks

Kel'Thuzad. He doesn't need much persuasion to fight the burning legion, as long as the cult is left alone. Front line blasting fools, rezzing nerds and making mad quips with his sexy voice
Technically never died, defeated in nax but I'm sure he's been prowling around in the mean time. I like to imagine KT taking a nice vacation in pandaland, sunbathing in krasarang or taking selfies on the the top of k3

He still died, but his phylactery is still missing, so I can only assume it's hidden in northrend somewhere.

I would actually like to see him come back in a patch as a DK champion for the order halls. Have a little adventure where you go find the phylactery and have the 4 horsemen help you bring him back.

>4 horseman
>Not 4 of your fellow policeknights
OFFICER KEL'THUZAD!
DUTY CALLS.
FOREVER.

I just wanna buddy up and shit senpai

Detective Kel'Thuzad and Chief Deathlord Adventurer team up in a buddy cop movie.

>Detectives Kel'Thuzad and Anub'Arak

>The Lich King's number one fan and his second-most disloyal servant on the same squad

What could go wrong!

>second-most disloyal servant
Which is the first most disloyal?

"YOU'RE A LOOSE CANNON ANUB'ARAK, I'M PARTNERING YOU UP WITH KEL'THUZAD"

I wouldn't necessarily call Anub'arak disloyal per de. He doesn't actively plot against the Lich King, just resents serving him.

Sylvanus or Morgraine I'd imagine.

Right. But with Arthas dead, unless the new king puts the shackles back on, he's not going to be willing to continue his service.

Please stop, the ebon blade aren't world police. This would require them to not get bitch slapped by the light when trying to raise Tirion.

Sometimes even the world police make mistakes.

Anub'Arak: Mantid bar, huh? What goes on down there?
Huggy Bear: I don't know. Listen to Yogg'Saron, play darts... whatever the hell else you bug people do.

Someday you won't be looking, and we'll take the fucking bodybag.

>Anub'arak catches a bullet on the way into a raid
>starts dying
>Kel'thuzad tells him to stop being such a drama queen and heals him

Their society will degrade, like real world Chinese after communism.

Are Gork and Mork gods in Warcraft?

not really, but Kil'jaeden and Archimonde fit the old "brutally cunning and cunningly brutal" schtik. They're just generals of the Burning Legion instead of orcish gods

Huh, ...they actually kinda do. And for a while they sorta controlled the Orcs.

What would the best way to do an Orc Blademaster if you run a WoW campaign in D&D?

a rogue that can use two-handed swords without penalties would be the most basics way

>tfw ywn GREEN Cordana Felsong

Cool. Galtak ered'nash brother!

hope it helps, just remember that a katana is more than just a masterwork longsword

Gotcha senpai.

God damn, I love how Blademaster warblades look. Especially when they have hilts almost as long as the blade.

>tfw making a samurai transmog out of the plate gear in Mogu'shan Vaults with the normal mode Fel Burning Blade
7.0 made playing dressup pretty fun

My next RP character will a death knight who was slain blademaster in the Third War, was reanimated, and his main goal now is to die again because he views himself as an affront to the spiritual beliefs he held in life. So he's pretty much a WHFB Dwarf Slayer.

>He just wants to level up.

Zul'jin not going back to a bantering merchant

pretty cool idea. There's a lot of pretty good RP potential with death knights, but most people ignore them because of the edge factor

>Ebon Blade shows up at Light's Hope
>yes, we have a warrant for the body of one T. Fordring? Open up please
>AM I BEING DETAINED?
>no sir, we're here on official business, open up please
>AM I BEING DETAINED?
>what? Dude just open the fucking door
>I'M A FREE MAN AND I HAVE RIGHTS YOU CAN'T JUST RUN AROUND STEALING PEOPLE'S BODIES
>the Legion is bearing down on us and you think Tirion is better off in the ground doing nothing?
>HURR DURR MUH RESPECT FOR THE DEAD MUFUQQA
fucking paladins

t. scourge

death knights are a class of peace friendo

ITT: We post like it's 2013

did people talk about Warcraft a lot in 2013?

pandaria was released in 2013, I think.

daily reminder that Cataclysm zones are older now than vanilla zones were when the Cataclysm happened

Pandaria was late 2012, if I recall correctly.

how?
WoW released in 2004, cata in 2011.

November 2004 - December 2010
December 2010 - August 2016
I was 5 months off apparently, but it's not far now

One thing I'm trying to decide for his backstory is where he was slain. I'm leaning towards that he was one of the Blackrock clan blademaster's slain by the Scourge when they attacked the Alterac Blackrocks for Jubei'thos' demongate.

So now I just need to think about how that, inconjunction with his death, reanimation, and service with the Scourge affects how he views the Horde from Wrath onward. And whether or not him being associated with the demon-worshipping Alterac Blackrocks affect my original character motivation of being undead offends his spiritual sensibilities.

Finding RP is gonna be annoying, because that type of character is not the type who will just sit around in a city to gossip, which sadly takes up too much of wow rp.

honestly for the theme you're going for, I'd say it makes more sense for him to be one of the Warsong that fell during the liberation of the internment camps. It's doubtful a northern Blackrock would have the enmity towards the undead you want and he'd be less likely to join Thrall's Horde instead of the Dark Horde

The Northern Blackrock hated the undead.

"We orcs are the true servants of the Burning Legion. These mindless undead are weak - impure!" - Haomarush (one of the blademasters from Blackrock and Roll Too)

And I figured that it's kind of a lore thing that DKs are more allied to the Ebon Blade than their race's "home faction", it'd be a bit more interesting to have a character with a different mentality and experience that what you would usually see. And being killed, reanimated, enslaved, and betrayed can do quite a bit to change who you choose to work with.

And besides, wasn't the rest of the Dark Horde crushed by the events of Wrath?

>Gul'dan learns the power of friendship

If this actually stayed a thing, there'd be no stopping him. We'd try to go after him with a raid, and he'd have his own raid group palling around with him and everyone would quit in frustration trying to fight them all at once.

I'd be Gul'dan's pal.

>his own raid group
All you'd have to do is say
>"We don't drop loot!"
and half those assholes would quit.

>Gul'dan's raid boss is literally a 40-man all kitted out to beat the shit out of a raid setup, with the green guy himself as raid leader
i'd play it

>tfw want to play legion
>tfw working and studying full time
F-fuck.

Logged on to play WoW again for shits and giggles. Really not liking the class changes for Legion, but had a conversation like this recently.
All my grinding in Molten Core and Blackwing Lair and AQ40 and old Naxx feels like just yesterday. The rest is just a blur.
Where does the time go?

>Being the older guildie

That hits close to home.

That image is why I rolled a belf. It also lies. Proportionally, they're pretty close in size.

Thadeus: Questline taking you first to Light's Hope to an ambitious and recently made high priest/paladin of some sort who wants to focus on undoing the harms of the past and has decided to start with saving the damned souls of the Lich King's war. Go to Naxx to look over some of the monsters in the old fortress, seeing and rejecting a few unsolvable ones (patchwerk, Saphiron, etc) before arriving at the Construct Quarter and reading through Thadeus' construction notes. From there you go through a series of fetch quests akin to the one about the fallen crusader (go find all these divine dealies to save a fallen crusader's soul rather than let him be turned by the plague of undeath), but slowly realize that it wouldn't be enough to do the same; too many souls to just wave the holy symbol at it and call it a day, so you're off to find some of the more innovative Knights of the Ebon Blade and the Kirin Tor to sort out how to separate the souls enough to return them to some autonomy from each other, but it still falls short of true salvation. Off to the shamans of Kalimdor then to see if some kind of reincarnation might be viable, and through a combination of The Light (Priesty NPC questgiver) Necromancy (KotEB) and Shamanic powers the spirits that were rent into Thadeus are returned as a new, somewhat uncertain demi-faction that'll be guided in future quests toward either the Horde or Alliance's efforts, as well as offering action-meaningless Q&A sections like what you get with Yrel's intro scenes in Shadowmoon to give a sense of moral guidance of the weird squadron of sue-material elemental light/dark ghosts that have come of your efforts.

At the end of it the quest-giver is just all kinds of confused as to whether this was a success or not but most of the souls taken out of Thadeus are in agreement that its' not as bad as it used to be.

>Blizzard institutes a gear-sink mechanic where failing at the raid degrades your equipment much faster, losing it permanently after it reaches red quality and equipping one of the mobs with that item until raid reset.

>artifact weapon runs out of durability
>raid boss smacks you in the face with your own doomhammer

>degrades your equipment much faster
The whining about repair bills could be heard IN SPACE.

>Demons and fel orcs wielding Ashbringer and the other Light-aligned artifacts.
That would be amusing.

>human player calling anyone else mean and whiny
lol

I always questioned the wisdom of leaving Garrosh's corpse there. We didn't even loot it either.

Consider it a warning to the rest of the Warsong?

I chose to bring back Arthas' wit & snark. It'd be amusing if we had that sorta commentary on everything.

>Garrosh's nice high resolution Gorehowl is still sitting in the fucking ground in Nagrand
>if you touch it you're forced to watch him get cheated again instead of being able to pull it out of the ground and use it
it's not fucking fair

Either that or the orgasm of whatever necromancer finds it. We didn't even loot any weapons.

Literally no one else in the setting, not even several orcs that are watching, comment on Thrall 'cheating.'

He didn't cheat. Accept it.

Too bad all the necromancers are already dead by that point.
>Ner'zhul: "Oooh fuck YEEEEEEEEEES!"

>Literally no one else in the setting, not even several orcs that are watching, comment on Thrall 'cheating.'
I think we killed everyone on Garrosh's side before then. We served as Thrall's witness, who was Garrosh's?

>a crowd of people who all wanted Garrosh dead don't comment on Thrall cheating to do it
really makes me think, I'm now #ballin4Thrall

There were plenty of orcs left in Garrosh's base. Hell, there's dozens that were watching the player fight him before INITIATE CUTSCENE OVERRIDE happened. You literally cannot attack or hurt those observers at all.

No one kills them or chases them off. Thrall comes in and challenges Garrosh, Garrosh says let's take that shit outside, so they do.

If Garrosh didn't have witnesses present, it's because none of his people wanted to watch.

Mannoroth

Gul'dan pls