/wodg/+/cofd/ Chronicles of The World of Darkness of the General Thread

Previous Thread >Pastebin:
pastebin.com/fFA3bufh

Promethean 2e:
drivethrurpg.com/product/189395/Promethean-the-Created-2nd-Edition

theonyxpath.com/the-quick-the-dead-monday-meeting-notes/

Promethean 2e is out! Geist 2e confirmed! Deviant is subtitled: The Renegades! Scion kickstarter soon! The Crossover Chronicle is happening! Dark Eras Anthology! Wraith 20 will feature Orpheus, so you don't have to wait another decade!
drivethrurpg.com/product/187947/Onyx-Path-20162017-Publishing-Brochure
Time to git hype and eventually let that hype wither on the vine!

What are you excited for?
And don't hate on people just for liking the classics.

What are you running?
What are you planning on running?

Other urls found in this thread:

sendspace.com/file/jwiihm
twitter.com/AnonBabble

sendspace.com/file/jwiihm
Promethean 2e pdf

Step it up, fagness

Excited for Geist 2e!

Hoping there will be more on Cthonians and other antagonists. Geists also being tied more into a heavier gameplay mechanic would be nice. Read a suggestion of implementing spectres/"ferrymen" that haunt the Sin-Eater each time the Geist brings the player back from the dead after the initial bargain, because of the death being shunted off to another individual.

Also would like the Crossover Chronicle to mention making a Promethean out of changeling/fetch parts and making a Pinocchio out of the twigs.

So we've already learned that Dark Eras 2: Era Harder got confirmed today, right?

Also what's this about a crossover chronicle?

It's a new book that got announced. Gonna be full of info to help with running crossover games.

It's not Dark Eras 2, it's literally the shit that was too big to fit into Dark Eras, and we already knew the Companion was coming (it was literally a kickstarter goal).

When I was trying to do Geist 2e, I had the following changes, hopefully Travis will have some of the same ideas I did:
• Geists give a third Vice/Virtue (and Sin-eaters have one related to death and one related to life) as well as an Aspiration
• Synergy measures your balance towards Life or Death, and 5 is optimal
• Geists have Fervor, which is like Frenzy/Kuruth, except they go after their Aspirations (which isn't necessarily evil or bad)
• You can let your Geist take the wheel
• Thresholds give you a special ability and a way to regain Plasm better by "knocking on Death's Door" (which was technically a thing in 1e, but had no rules)

I also treated Keys and Manifestations like Renown and Gifts, with Unlocks being equivalent to Facets, but if they didn't announce 2e, I was going to redo it more like Princess: The Hopeful's set up. I don't actually care how they do the powers, though, so long as they're handled less shitty than 1e.

I wonder if its too early to get in on playtesting?

Speaking of Geist, anyone got the 1.1 book that they can upload?

Every single one online is the 1.0 rules

Did anything happen at the WoD panel yesterday?

I imagine Geist fervor/taking the wheel would be something sort of like Eli from the Robbie Reyes run of Ghost Rider.

>Apocalypse Tribe Novels

Is it is possible we never managed to find the first one?

No, the Dark Eras panel happened. They're doing another one, aside from the Companion.

FUCK THE CLASSICS! jk, honestly I only detract from cWoD as a joke.

Excited for Scion 2e, interested in Geist 2e, excited to hear more about DtR.

If I can find at least one more player it seems I'll be running DtD.

They're doing Dark Eras 2? Neat! Maybe this means we'll get the Wild West and Golden Age of Piracy Geist eras.

I'm hoping that there's some kind of Death XP, seeing as most of these new game lines have some kind of special experience that you can get by acting in accordance to your Geist's wishes. Aspel, I think the Vice/Virtue and Aspiration thing you mention is a good step along that path.

A lot more fiction got announced. In total the announcements, according to one of the Darker Days guys, seems to be:

Victorian Age Mage
Mage Tarot PoD (Maybe)
Book of Secrets (200k words overflow text from M20)
Tome of Secrets for VtDA
4th Immortal Eyes C20 novel
Changing Ways W20
Bunyip Tribebook
Silver Crown sequel
Fiction, anthologies, and more!

>Wraith 20 will feature Orpheus, so you don't have to wait another decade!

Should be called Deadbeats for the sake of pun... and if the geist wants something but is lazy and hardly helps out.

I wonder if there will even be a Demisplat for Geist 2e, I suppose being a straight up spectre could be limiting but they could do something like Hunter 2e having a focus on Slasher's and do something for the Purified.

SCION

WHEN

Oh, sweet.

Explain more?

I called mine Deadbeats.
Also, I had plans for a demisplat that was essentially Wolfblooded for Ghosts, since in the original version of Geist they needed to be people who had a near death experience or some connection to the Underworld *before* the Bargain (but despite what the corebook said, the developer clarified they could be anyone).

Apparently I lost some of my notes, from when it was just one big ramble of what I wanted to do.

>Bunyip Tribebook
I don't mind the 20th Anniversary stuff, but at a certain point it stops being a 20th Anniversary and starts being a new edition...

>Demisplat
Got distracted trying to find my notes. I was originally going to have a half-Geist that was something like a Wolfblooded/Proximi called a Greywalker (after the same character type from the novel series of the same game).

They're people who've died but didn't go all the way across a threshold. They can see and interact with Ghosts, and maybe do Ceremonies, but they don't have Keys and can't perform Manifestations, at least not without extra effort.

So hypothetical for you how different do things end up in vtm if the tremere displeased the tzimisce clan into extinction.instead of the salubri?

Diablerised*

Well the whole run for the Ghost Rider ongoing was very Geist: The Sin-Eaters esque. Unlike the other Ghost Rider's with the spirit of vengeance in them, Robbie Reyes is a "ghost rider" having made a deal with a spirit living inside a car he took street racing. The spirit residing within him is actually his satanic serial killer uncle that preformed a ritual and ended up as a spirit that hungers for killing. It ends up getting out of control and Robbie tries to make it a deal to keep the spirit in check by punishing criminals.

anyone got a coupon for DriveThru? Im 20 cents short cause of shipping and I dont want softcover B&W

You legit don't have 20 cents?

wait i thought reyes didnt have a spirit of vengeance?

>Unlike the other Ghost Riders with the Spirit of Vengeance, Robbie instead has his serial killer uncle

>a spirit living inside a car he took street racing.
I feel like the dumbest aspect of Ghost Rider is the forced "Rider" part that means they have to tie this demonic vigilante superhero to vehicles arbitrarily.

prepaid card, I put 70 on it and the shipping puts it over 70 just barely

Paradox already considers the 20th anniversary stuff an edition of its own, so they might as well go all the way.

Nope, no spirit of vengeance for him. Doesn't have penance stare like the others either.

Well it was more or less at the car as one of it's anchors. The spirit owned the car before he died. Hell their union was pretty much Geist like as well, Robbie got shot dead, a bargain got made and he rose up from the ground.

[weeping]

The Tremere would probably be the standard body horror clan.

Lower Depths are cool! Duat clearly just doesn't have any Prime is all!

A comment from Dave on the Crossover Chronicle mentioned we're up to 11 game lines now. That is a lot of game. Here's hoping dev blog for Deviant comes soon.

The last time I called Duat a Lower Depth whose central lacking thing is Sekhem, the thread laughed at me. I feel vindicated!

Would anyone else absolutely love a book with a big list of Lower Depths in it?

I downloaded the pamhplet but it only went to page 18, should i just try re downloading it?

Why would it be lacking Sekhem? (I don't know Mummy)
Also, I recall that, but I don't really recall anyone laughing at or even disagreeing or paying attention to you.

Huh. Mine too, I just noticed that.

>the thread laughed at me. I feel vindicated!
really? hard to imagine the thread caring

Does it really lack Sekhem though? The ones that want it may not even be native to Duat, just immigrants. It might just not produce enough of it for their needs, which would probably be just as true for many other Lower Depths and even places like the Underworld

Dreams of Avarice describes Duat as being barren and the Shan'iatu have their servants hunt down Relics for them so they can eat the Sekhem contained within. It also has Aaru (heaven, basically) as similarly lacking in Sekhem, possibly because no souls have reached it in so long due to the meddling of Ammut and the Shan'iatu.

Isn't Sekhem just life energy?

The five subtle arcana are the ingredients that make up a soul

Pyros is the flame that cooks them into a soul

Sekhem is the pot they cook in

It's a weird combination of life force, the world's memory, and some degree of Fate as well. Dark Eras describes it as essentially being life force and destiny mixed together, and goes on to say:

>In contemporary terms, Sekhem is not “Supernal,” but the stuff of existence as it actually manifests. Awakened magic interacts with it like a smith holding tongs, while the Predynastic ancients preferred to grab this molten stuff with the spiritual equivalent of their bare hands.

If I had to pin Arcana to it, it's likely Fate and Life.

Man, Wizard cookouts got really weird.

Probably want to toss some Prime in there for good measure as some form of Tass or perhaps more accurately as a resonant form of Mana.

point is that Wizards can't do it alone. To make souls you need to host a WoD/CofD block party

I know, right? I mean, it's Mummy we're talking about. Jakki's the only one who likes that.

Predynastic ancients?

I guess that explains relics.

How does Prime help something explicitly not Supernal? I'd sooner tie together Prime with Pyros than Sekhem, and even that doesn't feel quite right.

Same way Mana can be called a form of Chi, and that Mana can be carved from the life essence of a living being.

Actually I'd say Chi and Sekhem are probably the same coin.

The people of the Nameless Empire, the lost civilization that Mummies belonged to in their mortal lives. Everything in the Egypt chapter of the Alexandrian Mage era is just about the local mages going "holy fuck the ancients were crazy."

>Jakki's the only one who likes that.

Mummy is Extremely Good.

So i don't have my book on hand, does beast say anything about Prometheans who turn into humans? About how prometheans try and reject their supernatural side?

Originally the result of
obsessive and inspired human attempts to create life, now most
of the Created create their own “offspring” in turn, as part of
the Pilgrimage these half-made monsters make, learning about
humanity and refining their alchemical souls until at last they
become fully human. From Beasts’ perspective, Prometheans
are struggling to join the herd that Beasts themselves left when

Man, look at all that oWoD crap

Just fantastic.

One of the Beasts in the Primordial Feast kidnaps a Redeemed Promethean to torture her in her Lair until she becomes a Promethean again, because she can't accept that anyone would choose to be a human being.

Don't know if that's a universal feeling, but that's there.

Most of those will probably be the source of all OPP's KS money for the next several years.

Victorian Mage looks dope though. Have you read the old outline for it? It's like an entirely different game.

>One of the Beasts in the Primordial Feast kidnaps a Redeemed Promethean to torture her in her Lair until she becomes a Promethean again, because she can't accept that anyone would choose to be a human being.
This is truly Beast tier cringeworthy.

Bit more complicated than that. They were close friends until the prommie achieved the new dawn and promptly forgot everything about her life as a prommie. It was just as much "How could you leave us?" as "Why would you become this?"

>It’s a bold claim, and one that many scholars of the occult dispute. Certainly, on the surface a half-spirit wolfman and an immortal mummy seem to have little in common. In answer, Beasts point to the fact that human beings have an instinctive response to the supernatural. Sometimes it’s very overt and supernatural, as with the Quiescence Curse that Supernal magic invokes, werewolves’ Lunacy, or the aura of Disquiet that follows Prometheans. Other times it’s more subtle: the so-called “hunter response,” the fact that most people can’t see the gears of the God-Machine, even the general “live and let live” attitude that people subconsciously develop. Either way, Beasts believe that points to common ancestry.

>Those gameplay aspects we have to keep the supernatural secret mean it could all have the same origin
That's clever. I really need to fully read Beast one of these days.

That they're trying to join the thing Beasts reject, but that Disquiet reminds them of Heroes, so Beasts will often be protective of Prometheans, because they're precious cinnamon rolls; but that Disquiet can also be a good source for Nightmares if you just wanna leach off your new zombie buddy. Gives reasons for antagonistic crossovers, too: Beasts might "gatekeep" and stop unwanted strays from joining their prey, or see monstrous prometheans as "regard them as cuckoos trying to force their way into the Dark Mother’s nest", though that seems silly. They of course feel resonance with the Centimani.

Not quite. The story doesn't insist that the Beast is a good guy.

>>Those gameplay aspects we have to keep the supernatural secret mean it could all have the same origin
The Onyx Path, a Rank 10 entity.

I'm just jumping around searching "Promethean". In Tokyo, apparently anything a Beast does draws Hero attention... but usually they'll "tilt at windmills" and by the time they show up the Beasts are gone, so they end up getting their ass kicked by the other supers they try to harass. Tokyo is such a clusterfuck. I can't wait to see the Crossover Chronicle. It's such a mess there. The head of the Hototogisu is a Ghoul who's company is involved in Awakened Politics, makes Fetishes for Werewolves, and is trying to make Prometheans.

Also, apparently Beast has this thing called the "Apex", which is the big badass of any area, who shapes the "Hive" of the city, even if they aren't a Beast. That's pretty neato. I really need to read through this for real one day.

Not really. I feel like you're just looking for excuses to hate Beast.
Vampires routinely try to shit on anyone who looks for Golconda, and the "try to become more human" Coil is considered Heresy to the Ordo Dracul. Actually, that encouraged me to write up file related months back. I didn't like any of the rules of that half finished Mystery of Humanity or whatever from the Secrets of the Covenants preview.

RichT is the Dark Mother.

So from what previews we have and the order of announcement it looks like its going to go changeling then hunter then devient then giest right?

You know, it's some real ass bullshit that Heroes in Tokyo don't wear spandex and shout all their attack names against Beasts.

Here's to hoping Deviant gives us much needed giant monster/giant robot rules.

Deviant's on its own release path, since it has to take a detour into Kickstarter City. There's a good chance that it will release before any of them, if not all of them.

Other than that, I'd say Changeling, then Hunter, then Geist is the most likely order of release. Changeling just nerds more development and art, Hunter needs to hire its writers, and Geist probably needs to do whatever pre-hiring things that need to be done.

If I can't Henshin, I'm going to be disappointed.

Deviant will probably be out before Hunter.

If I can't Henshin in Deviant, Dave will have some explaining to do.

They *do* form Hero fighting clubs called Guilds.

Deviant's getting a Kickstarter?

Stew has said he's already submitted drafts for Geist, and DaveB says that he and Travis have been discussing Geist 2e for two years. Not to say that the order is wrong, I'm just saying that Geist may not be as far out as the recent announcement makes it seem.

Iirc stuff that gets kickstarted already has most of the work done and just uses the money to expand on things and to make the deluxe book.

So far all of the new game lines have had a Kickstarter, it's not surprising that it would get it.

True, so Deviant's not hopping directly to Kickstarter, but it's most likely going to be there sometime after the Scion Kickstarter.

Looking back at some of my old homebrew projects, I was apparently making a D&D style Alignment system.

It's basically like Werewolf, but with two meters instead of one (the meters are Law/Chaos and Good/Evil, obviously). There's also a merit called "True Neutral" where if you shift away from or towards Neutral, you get a penalty or bonus.

Mummy, Demon, and Beast all had kickstarters. Why wouldn't Deviant?

The next kickstarter is supposed to be Scion 2e, but we should see Deviant soon enough.

What is that?

I can't even tell what's going on there.

What's that from?

Also, if you've got this many, upload them to Imgur

I can't even see anything happening here. Spots of green seem to move. That's about it.

I just wanted to put up my newest ones.

As for what that is. I don't know. Nosferatu? Zombie?

As for what's going on in the other one, I'd assume it's some mage who doesn't feel like getting a ticket.

Do you think the indomitable merit applies to disquiet rolls?

its from [rec]
using night vision to watch a possessed person shamble around their place

>Wild West

I think second take on Werewolf: The Wild West is long overdue.

They did update Wild West to W20, if you're an Apocalypse player.

If anything, I'd want CofD Wild West to be Demon; the railways are Infrastructure trying to tame the free Hell that is the West. Gadget revolvers, Native Stigmatics, and who knows what other neat stuff awaits.

I didn't know how much I wanted this until just now.

There's a fantastic book called The Half-Made World that has the West as being so untamed that the geography literally changes from day to day, and two forces are trying to impose their reality on it; The Line is a cult that worships Lovecraftian gods who manifest as horrifying trains, and The Gun is a secret society of gunslingers who've sold their souls to what might be the devil.

It's probably the only steampunk media I've ever not gagged at.

I hope we get more eras with goofy crossover focuses like a mummy/werewolf one or sin eaters and demons or something.

Seriously? That's hilarious. Any choice quotes?

I like mummy

I'd like to see Geist/Mummy explore some elements of the cosmology and a Mummy/Demon just for the contrast between hypertech and dusty relics. A Vampire/Mummy crossover about what ancients get up to would also be a blast.

I'd love to see Mage/Hunter get a 1960s America crossover, because I'm having a tough time finishing it as a homebrew project but the idea is good. 1950s Promethean needs to happen if only for the thematic strength and a Zeka update to 2e, but maybe that could crossover with something fun. Golden Age of Piracy Geist absolutely needs to happen, though crossing it over with Changeling or Hunter are both very, very exciting. I still want to rough out an idea for Beast/Deviant in Ancient Greece, with the Beasts as servants of the gods a la the Furies and Deviants as those cursed souls like Arachne and Medusa.

I'm not fond of the whole "the world is chaotic and needs to be forced into order"; only time I've liked that is in Zendikar (where the plane shifted all the time in response to the Eldrazi being imprisoned there). But I'd suggest reading Mistborn: The Alloy of Law. It's a distant sequel to Mistborn set in a Scadriel that's moved on and become very industrialized, but with technological advantages to take advantage of and protect against Allomancers and Ferruchemists.

That'd be awesome.

What else did the Dark Eras panel talk about?

>I still want to rough out an idea for Beast/Deviant in Ancient Greece, with the Beasts as servants of the gods a la the Furies and Deviants as those cursed souls like Arachne and Medusa.
Beast? With a purpose? Boy I'd like that.

>nd a Mummy/Demon just for the contrast between hypertech and dusty relics

"I bring you the gift of laser battle and you respond with a fresco of the Nile?!"

Then suddenly sybaris madness just all over.

My favorite part of the upcoming Crossover Chronicle as already going to be where they explain what happens when the same mortal gets hit with Lunacy, Quiescence, Disquiet, and Sybaris, all at once.

They lose their goddamned minds

Eh. We already know that bad enough Lunacy can create a Wolf-Blooded, and I'm sure that much supernatural strain may well just force and Awakening.

They asplode.

>They *do* form Hero fighting clubs called Guilds.

I thought Heroes were completely psychologically/spiritually incapable of cooperating with other Heroes? Mind you, I don't get why Matt insisted on that being a key aspect of Heroes, since Heroes are so mechanically weak that they're barely a threat to a single Beast, never mind an entire fucking Brood.