Why fantasy has a boner for vikings...

Why fantasy has a boner for vikings? They were shit! They couldn't deal with fucking monastery levies in Ireland they literally only were good at killing unarmed people.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varangian_Guard
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Battles_involving_the_Vikings
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Don't know. It's probably the same reason most fantasy have a boner for medieval europe when they were shit compared to the middle east and far east during that time period.

Why fantasy has boner for west? West is shit and reason why shit is elsewhere in world! Fantasy should focus on less used civilizations like east asia

The same reason fantasy has a boner for the Romans, even though they couldn't even deal with the Germans without losing multiple legions. People don't care about real-world effectiveness, they care about aesthetics.

>less used civilizations like east asia
By the time the West was done with it the orient was anything but 'less used'.

Well they should focus on less used civilizations. Most of them are the same old medieval europe crap that i've read over and over again. Using other civilizations would make fantasy stories fresh and unique.

write one then, no is stopping you.

ITT: Salty shitskins.

Why fantasy has a boner for anything? Its shit! It couldn't deal with fucking reality and its literally only good at pretending!

I am European and I don't care as much about other cultures, sorry.

Reminder vikings got rekt by fucking Moors and stone age native Americans.

>a tiny colony in unknown land were at a disadvantage

Id like to see more vikings as portrayed by those muslim traders who wrote about them

>fantasy

There's your answer, you fucking autist. Because romanticized barbarian sailors going on adventure in strange lands makes for good fantasy.

But when vikings were raiding a monastery full of unarmed christcucks then it was a feat of badassery right?

Why do shitty Veeky Forumsposters constantly need to bring their poorly thought out counter signals to Veeky Forums?

Because mythological vikings are cool as fuck, even if the real deal weren't?

>here, let me contradict yourself for you

It's been hip to hate on vikings since Skyrim's popularity. Contrarians are just doing what they do.

No, but when they laid siege to Paris and made Charlemagne's successors pay them oodles of silver and later oodles of land, that was pretty badass.

Daily reminder historyfags and HEMAfags ruin everything fun about fantasy.

Why? They would probably be written of as a primitive man who can't understand civilized languages. That shit is boring as hell.

It's one thing to bask in the glory of the past. It is another to completely miss the point like an idiot, which is probably why european subjection is the harsh future for the west.

Anyway the point is too many fantasies keep using the same old culture over and over again, mainly medieval european, and at a certain it comes stale boring and uninteresting. That is why we need fantasies based on other culture and civilizations. Ones that have not been used a lot.

No, that'd be the elf-fuckers and wizard supremacists.

How is this related to anything?

Well yeah that one was badass indeed but speaking of frogs remember that time they avoided Fracne after battle of Leuven and were scared fuckless of Franks? Yeah that was pretty pussy on their side and so was avoiding England for 40 years after losing at Jarrow.

Oh no one tribe of Germani beat another tribe of Germani. The loosing side must be cucks and failures.

So keep winging about it on Veeky Forums. I'm sure someone somewhere is going to drop everything to make a fantasy world based on Angkor Wat. Here's a novel idea instead of slagging off whats been done to death, why not start brainstorming ideas for your own fucking setting.

Yeah but remember that time at the height of their power when France got into a fight with the English and got their shit kicked in by an army of beggars, manwhores and thieves?

Man, it's almost like everyone in Europe fucked or got fucked at some point or another.

This tbqh

>tfw radical islamist terrorist may be the future's pop-culture vikings

I've never seen so much ignorance and stupidity in this board before. This thread is shit.

>Irish monastery levies

D'ymean my nan with a twisted up dishcloth? Because if you do, then I can't blame the Vikings. Shit's terrifying.

>That is why we need fantasies

I would say "need" is too strong a word. And like many others have said, no one is stopping you from making your own setting based off something exotic. Just don't a lot of people to be interested in it at first, if ever.

True. Elves didn't exist either.

You mean like in the Savage Sword of Conan? Has been done, it's not as appealing as campaigning on home soil, sorry. Traditional fantasy is what it is because people like it and want to explore it even further. If you're tired of it, you're probably part of a small minority.

It's not like there has never been any fantasy settings based on things outside Europe. Tékumel and Legend of the five rings are just the only ones who hit mainstream, and both of those are dead now.

I think people get pissed because calling the genre fantasy is a bit of a misnomer.

I, personally, don't want my Fantasy to be too involved or examine the human condition. When I read fantasy, I want time off.

I want it to start at a quiet village with a definite Frontier feel to it, a little villlage where everyone built their house with their own two hands. I want it to stress self-reliance as a virtue and evoke a simpler time where people didn't need an identity beyond baker or thatcher.
I want the bad guys to tear this down and to have absolutely no depth beyond a lot of dark lord imagery.
I want the plot to involve tons of walking and dangerous situations.
I want the characters to be cardboard cutouts.
In short; I want my fantasy literature to be unimaginative, as paradoxical as that sounds.

And I think there are a lot of people who want that, more or less subconsciously. Then anything that involves too much new stuff will fail.

Why fantasy has a boner for humans? They were shit! They couldn't deal with fucking other humans in Earth they literally only were good at killing less armed people.

Why fantasy has a boner for magic? They were shit! They couldn't deal with fucking scientific method they literally only were good at killing Reason.

Why fantasy has a boner for dragons? They were shit! They couldn't deal with fucking hobbitses burglars they literally only were good at everyone else

Why dream? why write your own poetry or music? you are right, people should and will always stick with what already works.
Fanciful flights of wonder and awe have no place in fantasy and everyone knows it and wishes it.

Why fantasy has a boner for halflings? They were shit! They couldn't deal with fucking magic rings infused with the hatred of a dark lord they literally only were good at killing Shelob.

Zing!

>halflings
>Shelob
youdungoofed

O shit. you are right. fuck me.

O wait, that dude isnt me. Fuck him then, for being less of a nerd the me and the other user.

>they literally only were good at killing unarmed people
True, that, pic related

Vikings often made up folklore on how great a viking could be, and traditional fantasy is about folklore. Other places ALSO made up exaggerated tales about how much it sucks to be attacked by seafaring savages. Common folklore makes it into fantasy the easiest.

But not constantly like vikucks.

stop making sense. There is no place for you here.
Begone!

Why Channers has a boner for memes? They were shit! They couldn't deal with fucking creative essay homework from school they literally only were good at shitposting

Ahem
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varangian_Guard

Because most modern fantasy derives from Tolkein, and Middle Earth was heavily inspired by the cultures and mythologies of Europe.

The same guard that had Saxons and got rekt anyway.

Everyone got rekt eventually, even mongols

Difference being vikangz got rekt all the fucking time yet are shilled because they killed a monk or two.

Except they weren't, you're just cherrypicking to be contrarian to common image of vikings, which sure is heavily romanticized, but your downplaying is even further from reality than that

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Battles_involving_the_Vikings

cherrypicking my ass not my fault they couldn't git gud

No Vikings where in it for the money. Future's pop-culture vikings are more likely to be Somali pirates or Mexican cartels.

I'm going to take a wild guess and say that you're a slavaboo who is resentful of the fact that his favorite culture never gets the chance to bask in the limelight.

But my favourite culture is Roman Empire.

>Why fantasy has boner for west?

Because non-western mythologies and legendariums (once you get past a very few outstanding works in each), are objectively shitty, shallow and don't make for particularly interesting fantasy universes. There is a reason why non-Westernised media (such as anime and Japanese mass culture in general) do not have international appeal, but Western media are watched all across the world, after all, and it applies to fantasy as well.

Mayhaps things could have changed if fantasy became a big thing in some cultures on its own, instead of getting its basic templates imported from the West, but it didn't.

>Reminder vikings got rekt by fucking Moors

Haha, fucking wrong.

Christianized vikings retook Sicily from Moors, and fuck, the First and most successful Crusade was mostly a Norman enterprise.

Jesus christ, OP, don't you ever get tired of making the same fucking thread over and over? We get it, you don't like vikings. Go make an RPG that explicitly doesn't have them or something already and stop wasting space.

>objectively shitty
>not the opinion of some guy

this.
why should i even want to play as a dirty raghead, a nigger or some slant-eyed "muh honorabre" weirdo with an overrated sword?

Yes let's talk about what happened after viking age and attribute it to vikings and ignore when actual vikings got trounced by their navy in Spain.

Well if we're reducing cultures and settings to caricatures with negative connotations, why should I want to play as a shit-covered, illiterate Anglo-Saxon peasant in Generic Medieval European Setting #431,921?

jesus this threads still going

What i like the most in this thread is the pretense of seriousness in matter and on the capacity to influence what people will play and how.

Its not like almost 100% of all posters here play, will play or have played something based out a anime. Which is funny because anime is not a race.
Like this dude for instance. Sure and you never played something analog to a fae catboy or wielded a magical Katana because all your games are super serious and only about white dudes getting drunk and depressed in saunas.

Oh look its this thread again

>implying
Don't equate everyone to yourself

>they literally only were good at killing unarmed people

the normans were literally vikings, and they were pretty good at killing armed people all over the the known world

>Oh look its this thread again

I guess he got tired of having it ignored every day over at Veeky Forums

>literally vikings
>literally

after two generations of intermarrying I'm sure they were 100% Nordic

Canute a cute

Mate the Vikings conquered half of England, Scotland and Ireland. They raided Paris, took Normandy from france, became the Normans then took Sicily from the Caliphite.

Arguably you could say they also ruled Russia as the Rurikid dynasty into the renaissance.

The boner has a reason.

Everyone had a problem with native americans

>took Normandy from France

you fucking retard they got it after being defeated because Franks wanted them to become a buffer zone and protect their land from other vikings

Why do we always have to play a grizzly US soldier murderfucking nazis trying to create zombie armies or stopping superscience ending WW2?

I want to play a proper arian who murders the reincarnated founding fathers while dodging eagles armed with suicide bombs.

>a proper arian

Why do dumb frogposters constantly need to bring their poorly thought out reddit frogs to Veeky Forums?

>arian

So you play an iranian, afgani or pakistani?

They left a proper footprint, making the few people jelly that could write helped a lot for their bad image which gets the edgy kids hard.
I mean mostly they were traders and quite adept diplomats (considering how they transformed into the Rus in the east and the Normans in the west).

>they literally only were good at killing unarmed people.
So they have a lot in common with samurai.

>small colony
>not much armor around
Without close contact to home, you can not hold that against anything.

>against Moors
Yeah and? The Moors were not weak at all.
As all islamic realms at their time, they were well organized, had a good economy thus good numbers and average equipment.
For raiding they were a bad target, generally speaking.
The early christian realms were far easier to raid.

Because isolated incidents in a long history of raiding don't make them shit. Stay assmad, OP.

Yes raiding unarmed people is very badass I agree I like Somali pirates as well.

Look at me.

I'm the shitpost now.

That's literally all the samurai did.

Maybe, they are more or less the embodiement of the Berserker/Barbarian archetype...

Tell me what's so impressive about raids.

>christianized vikings
Normans weren't Vikings you drooling pagan retard. They were French, and only Norman descendants unable to accept the fact that they're French claim they were Vikings. The Normans by the third generation had been completely assimilated into french culture, and barely had any viking blood left in them.

The Normans who retook Sicily and the Levant were not Vikings, who were not even a civilization- Viking is exclusively the term for norse pirates. You're thinking the Scandinavian People/Norse, who were decentralized farmers and traders who occiasionally went on raids. When they did go on raids they sucked ass because 'Vikings' were poorly trained bands of pirates who folded like a tissue in a light breeze when they faced anybody who was organized and drilled.

They didn't conquer Normandy, they sacked Paris after catching them off-guard and at a time the Franks were extremely weak, followed by the Franks buying them out to create a buffer state of warriors so future Norse raids would run into Normandy before reaching the southern Duchies. They also conquered so much English territory because most battles the Vikings won was against poorly drilled shitty militas and not a professional military force. When they ran into those they got their asses handed to them, and they knew this and would flee whenever they ran into a competent military. Vikings thrived because the fall of Rome led to the loss of centralization of European kingdoms/empire.

Vikings were niggers of Europe
>living in literal mud huts
>no philosophers
>no libraries
>no fucking anything of value
>terrible fighters
>make a bunch of shit up about how tough they are (sagas are a lot like nigger rap)
>only lowest dregs of society are impressed by them

It's a fad. A few years ago it was Japanese stuff. A few years from now it will be Greeks or something. Just roll with it and wait for it to end.

Probably one of the lowest quality baits I have seen in a while. Bravo.

Shieet nigga I do no why people hate on vikangz they were gud boyz killin' all dem mothafuckin' women and monks and shiet that was badass as fuck.

This is how you know Normans were not Vikings: Ancient Anglo-Saxons, Insular Celts, and Orkney Islanders with actual Viking Ancestry, as well as Danes, Norwegians etc. all have more Bronze Age steppe ancestry than South and East English where Norman ancestry is concentrated. This genetic feature of English is shared with modern French, not North Germanics or Welsh and Scots.
"Population structure of UK Biobank and ancient Eurasians reveals adaptation at genes influencing blood pressure"

At least zipperheads had Mongols scandifags had just a bunch of nigger tier bandits.

>I autistically only care about a narrow and of interests because I lack the mental fortitude to like many things

>India

>Not objectively the greatest mythology

I hope Kali chops you up for this insolence