What's the best name for the classification of swords that are a step larger than a greatsword/two-handed sword?

What's the best name for the classification of swords that are a step larger than a greatsword/two-handed sword?

Other urls found in this thread:

quora.com/Structural-Engineering-Why-is-an-I-beam-shaped-the-way-it-is
youtube.com/watch?v=8Nwh8yWh5WU
youtube.com/watch?v=X6QSu1EolCI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

That's a big sword.

Ridiculous/Useless

>a mistake
Seriously though, just call them greatswords and the smaller realistic twohanded swords two-handers. Simple, clean, easy.

Bane swords

>One handed sword
>Hand and a half sword
>Two handed sword
So Two and a half handed sword? Three handed sword?

ZWEIHANDER
PANZERSTECHER
BIDENHANDER
KRIEGSMESSER
FUR ZE EMPRAH

They can hardly be called a sword really. More like slabs of iron.

Also why the fuck does dragonslayer have a fuller? This angers me for some reason.

That's not the dragonslayer, though?

>FUR ZE EMPRAH
Well done Otto, well done.
HOWEVER

DOPPELHANDER
>Frisian hero Pier Gerlofs Donia is reputed to have wielded a Zweihänder with such skill, strength and efficiency that he managed to behead several people with it in a single blow. The Zweihänder ascribed to him is, as of 2008, on display in the Fries Museum. It has a length of 213 cm (84 in) and a weight of about 6.6 kg (141⁄2 lb)

Simple reason: because not even Guts could lift that without a fuller.

If you want something stronger than a two handed sword why not just use a katana?

It's Gut's earliest sword. The one he swung during his time with the Hawks.

giant swords

Jesus christ a real-life sword over 2 meters tall?

How does it feel to be a manlet when the sword is larger than you.

>a katana

Pls.

psh...he doesn't have the skil...

Fuller has nothing to do with making a sword lighter. It's just that with same amount of metal, you can make the blade longer. I wonder how long of a sword it is possible to make, if it's attempted while keeping functionality.

I.... uh, what?

>eternally triggered manlet

protip: it's a bearing sword

... so it's about making a sword lighter for any given length...

Bearing? What is it bearing user? Is it bearing the burden of being the largest?

>not calling them "blood grooves"
>not knowing they're for allowing your opponent's blood to pour out faster
>not knowing that blood groves make a sword eight times deadlier

For every cup of blood you'd get with a non-blood guttered sword, you get a gallon with BLOOD GROOVES™.

It means no one actually used it for chopping people.

Ultragreatsword, Dark Souls style.

It's a sword meant for bearing at the head of a procession.
It's ceremonial.

My blinding amounts of anger and sleep deprivation has betrayed me. My bad.

2 inches longer blade with fuller isn't any lighter than 2 inches shorter blade without fuller. I get what you are saying, but you are making it completely backwards. Swords didn't evolve from being a heavier to get lighter. The point of fuller is it gives structural strength when striking while allowing blade to be longer than normally.

The zweihander was specifically used against pikemen, and were even fucking outlawed by the swiss and used extensively by mercenary bands. It may not have been effective at chopping heads, but it sure chopped pike heads, and the stories are all there about it chopping heads like with Pier. There is essentially little evidence for anything with these weapons. Some of similar size were used to chop horses.

>con't
Essentially the people willing to wave around giant swords to chop through pike formations were pretty crazy, and as far as one-on-one goes, half-swording could be used to strike vital points.

Giant Broadswords. No normal humanoid is gonna be able to use them worth a damn. Even with super strength, the balance would be shit.

Yes. But as far as I know actually usable swords never weighted more than 4 kilo.

>as far as I know
but that's ignorant

Should I just believe in everything written by random user then?

That's wrong, though... A sword with a fuller is weaker than a solid sword, just not by much. Same principle as with modern I-beams, a solid beam of any given external dimensions is stronger than an I-beam of the same dimensions, but not by enough to justify the added mass/cost.

actually most of what he said is found on wiki articles and those have their linked sources which seem very legit, so I don't understand what your "belief" system is here.

The same wiki articles that state that zweihanders above 4kg are to be considered ceremonial, and state an upper weight of 3.2kg?

Right, looks like I was mistaken. Thank you!

Convenient to take out the part about Pier isn't it.

Not sure how historical it is, but I've seen 'executioners sword' used to mean a fuckoff huge sword. Presumably because a headsman wouldn't need to do much actual swordsmanship but would want something heavy enough to chop through spines fairly reliably. Swords were used for beheading nobility IIRC and that seems like a job you don't want to make a mess of (more of a mess than a decapitation would be anyway).

I won't give you a lecture, but I'm going to say you apparently don't have an idea about what you are talking about. Fuller makes the blade more strong on strike, as in cutting. Without fuller the blade is more rigid against bending and is stronger at thrusting hence why rapiers are diamond or square shaped.

quora.com/Structural-Engineering-Why-is-an-I-beam-shaped-the-way-it-is
tl;dr a "fuller" does not make a structure stronger, it just makes it lighter.

Came here to post this.

Well, I concede. But what I understood is that giving a blade a fuller allows the blade to be wider (since we are removing mass) which allos it to be more rigid on edges, very much like with same amount of mass a wider hollow cylinder is tougher than solid cylinder of same mass.

Correct.
However, given that I've not really noticed fullered blades to be significantly wider, I'd assume that people felt that swords were already stiff enough in that plane so they opted for a lighter construction rather than a stronger construction.

user, Pier's sword has no actual connection to the man, and is probably about a hundred years younger than him.

It's a ceremonial sword that has gained a myth.

I'm quite sure swords with fuller actually were broader, but I have no clue where to find actual historial sword dimensions. Most swords without fuller seem to taper strongly compared to fullered ones, which makes sense, since those type of swords were primaly more focused on thrusting. I suppose difference is really prominent in arming swords. Also never seen viking type sword without fuller and they seem to be pretty wide.

A fullered sword was usually as thin as a regular blade of similar construction from the era.

Old swords like viking ones tend be thicker due too metallurgical differences, as time went on people developed better and more consistent steel allowing swords to become thinner and longer with negligible loss of strength.

I've been looking through Petersen's typology, and while only a few swords clearly lack a fuller, those that do DO seem to be somewhat narrower.

Specifically thinking of fig. 53, 57 and 84

v in terms of u where v/4=u

Where is that image from?

Also, some would call them Zweihanders although that's basically the same as greatswords

Though 83, which is fullered, seems to be about as wide as 84, which isn't.
So non-fullered swords were probably made narrow to keep weight down, while fullered swords could be made wider if desired but weren't always.

That may be just the variation that comes with not having standardization. Theres some narrow fullered baldes in the too if you look at 60, 71 and 83.

>blood grooves
But that's wrong, you slank.

Pretty sure that was the joke. I mean it was retarded either way, but the
>BLOOD GROOVES™
thing at the end there does make it seem like an attempt at humor.

>The zweihander was specifically used against pikemen
No, it wasn't. There is barely any evidence for this. It's a theory, we don't know much about how it was used on the battlefield. That it was for personal guards or defenders is much more plausible.

Gassenhauer.

D&D 3.0 calls them "fullblades", seems as good a name as any.

Honestly that name makes me wonder what they are full of, then it makes me think that the answer is themselves, then I can't stop of thinking of them as stuck up bitch blades, which sounds completely wrong.

Ultra greatswords.

The sword that is one step above a two-handed sword (a longsword) is a greatsword.

In ye old armoury of scotland I found several swords which must have been 7 feet long. They were parade swords. Call them that. They were meant to be seen from a distance as the 'wielder' carried them upright in front of them or on their shoulder alongside others in a grand procession.

If this is fantasy and you want your little animu waifu to swing it around, call it a buster sword.

Question: In a fantasy setting where larger-than-greatswords are a thing, what would their primary use/target be?

Large monsters. Duh.

Beat me to it.

So are you going to try to make your own of Guts' sword?
'Cause these guys already did. Out of some railroad track.
youtube.com/watch?v=8Nwh8yWh5WU

A three-handed sword?

Hernian Blades

>80cm
That's not large at all.

Eurofuck pls go.

Op image is in centimeters amerinigger.

>trying to b8 this hard

It's for hunting bears, user.

What about being wielded by a Bearserker?

One-handed sword > bastard sword > longsword > greatsword

You can pretty much fit anything into those categories. Zweihanders/bidenhanders, montantes, claymores, spadones (yadda yadda) they're all just greatswords one way or another. If you really want a name for anything alrger then you're going to have to make one up.

Greater Swords.

>Diresword
>Direblade

But then, how great is a greatestsword?

The greatest

Two-hands-and-half sword.

Same as for small one-handed swords. Because in fantasy setting people always carry the biggest weapon they can afford and use them all in the same way.

Ultra-Greatsword is the terms that sticks with me the most, but I think the closest real world example is 'parade sword'

A set piece.

Daiklave
Grand Daiklave

Fucking shit up in a wide arc

Retarded

Cavalry killers
Monster slayers
Kill a nigger encased in armor (like a shorter ashlpiess)

Ogre blades

Also blood grooves are primarily to reduce suction from wounds making it easier to remove your blade from the kebab

[Local breed of large monster]-slayers.

Like, troll-slayers. Ogre-slayers. Oni-slayers. Fomor-slayers. Giant-slayers.

Greaterswords/three-handed swords.

Zweihanders?

I've heard they provided strength to the blade while reducing some of the weight. Some kind of fucking thing like pinching a piece of paper in the middle to keep it stiff.

It doesn't so much as add strength to the sword as it does reduce weight by up to 30% without sacrificing strength.

A fullered sword and a non-fullered sword of the same length will be more or less as strong as each other but the fullered sword will be up to 30% lighter.

Think of it as min-maxing.

Unusable sword.
youtube.com/watch?v=X6QSu1EolCI

Those are greatswords.