I want to start playing some fantasy miniatures wargame which one to choose? What anons recommend these days? Warhammer...

I want to start playing some fantasy miniatures wargame which one to choose? What anons recommend these days? Warhammer, AoS, 9th age, Kings of War??

>>What is the best intro set to buy

Other urls found in this thread:

hipsterhammer.tumblr.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

You'll need to check your local area out man. Go find a game store near you and see what they play. If there isn't any or none do, then google local clubs/facebook stuff. If all else fails make one if you need to then.

Most of those games have good starter sets, but the really supported ones are AoS and Kings of War. 9th Age might be good but there's no official support, same with Warhammer. Not only that, but they require a bit of buy in to get to the 'good stuff' which makes them expensive.

Assuming you decide AoS or KoW, decide if you want a 'realistic'/standard fantasy game of mass battles with ranks and files, or a pretty crazy skirmish game that gets big and has some wacky background. If the former Kow, the latter AoS

>I want to start playing some fantasy miniatures wargame which one to choose?
whatever is played near you

>What is the best intro set to buy
For those 4 and knowing nothing about local rules and what you're going to be playing, Buy 2 or 3 perry miniatures plastic kits and paint some empire/free people/league of rhordia. Add some reaper bones for spice.

If you like what's in your image then Kings of War in all honesty is your best bet. I prefer Warhammer but right now it's not very accommodating to new players.

I was thinking start playing it with my friend all the locals play 9th age and use to play WH (so that is not the biggest concern for me). Is the 150$ per person nice budget to start (colors and tools included)?

>What is the best intro set to buy
Mantic army deals for kow are the shit. Undead, dwarves, goblins and Forces of Nature especially.

If you go for GW minis and paints, 150$ will maybe get you one infantry unit one other unit and a character.

If you go for mantic you'll have a whole army, but you won't be able to play it in GW stores.

He's playing T9A so I doubt he's going to be playing in a GW store anyway.

$150 is fine assuming you're not from New Zealand or something. The rules for T9A are all free so that won't be an issue. Go on T9A website and use their faction forums, each one has a list of models to represent its entry in the army books. To make your money go furthest you should shop around and get a combination of what you think looks good and what's cheap.

On an added note if both of you are starting together then any amount of money is fine, the only problem with small armies is finding someone to play against. If you have a friend at the same level then it's not an issue.

thanks to all anons that answered my questions. You're nice champs! Veeky Forums community is really polite

WHFB 6th Edition

>Entry point
>WHFB
U kidding?

Warhammer and AOS are the same thing. 9thage is a expansion of 8th edition WHFB and Kings of war is a simplified system simlar to AOS designed at first for a single model line. dwarfs. honestly KOW is just WHFB8 "light". and 9th is WHFB8 "done right" honestly the only thing you should consider is AoS.+ Generals Handbook and look at some of the newer books like woodelfs bonespliters and the oger one to see the new "traits"

warhammer and aos are not the same thing lmao

>"done right"
Gosh I love those randumb charges, deathstar units, just what I always wished for.

Your options are whatever is being played at your local hobby store.

I think Kings of War would probably be best... but that requires players in your area. My area has 0 Kings of War for instance.

Guild ball!!

Age of Sigmar has the most players, probably, but as this thread suggests it's whatever your local area has players for unless you convince friends to get into the game you want.

Kings of War is super fun too, and there's like a million ways to start collecting models for either game.

If your local store is a GW though you're stuck paying their price, luckily the starter set or the start collecting boxes are decent value, but as said you can get a lot of bodies cheap if you don't buy GW.

hipsterhammer.tumblr.com/

has a couple ideas for starting warhammer armies, if you read his posts you'll have a very good idea at what you should be thinking about when it comes to buying minis.

For paints I'd suggest Tamiya although Vallejo is good too and even Citadel isn't the end of the world if that's what you have locally.

>$20 for a snake mini
>the snake mini is the size of a monopoly piece

Why would I ever play guildball?

Ok, if we want to get real nutty, may I suggest oldhammer? Like WHFB 3rd?

Now, I'm not suggesting massive huge armies, I'm suggesting oldhammer philosophy.

Paint up like 21 models (2 units and a dude) and then make up a story with a friend and make some terrain and explore a piece of the old world in a sort of D&D meets Wargame event, then you can slowly add more dudes to your collection and grow up a unique and interesting force.

That'd be damn fun.

>KOW is just WHFB8 "light"
>and 9th is WHFB8 "done right"
>Kings of war is a simplified system simlar to AOS designed at first for a single model line. dwarfs
>honestly the only thing you should consider is AoS.+ Generals Handbook
this has to be a bait

That remind me to Of gods and men or Dragon rampant, the same philosophy, modern rules. I specially like OGaM because it's like Song of blades and heros.

Depends on your local players, here there is no AoS players and a lot of KoW. Even if you start with a friend up to some point you'll want to face other armies.

>Of gods and men
I really want to play that game but the weird cd movement tray seemed retarded as fuck at the time.
I may get some 6mm/10mm and try it on and see how it works.

Dont listen to this retard; Check out the Webstore, and find tge Start Collecting page. Each kit has a Hero, a Infantry, and another unit, all for 85 bucks.

>the same philosophy
>song of blades and heros

Alright, I'm sold, time to look up these rules

>Of gods and men
should read "Of gods and Mortals"

yeah, I found the pdf from a 7chan archive, no sign of Dragon Rampant

nevermind, got it

>rulebooks which regularly credit minis from another company's model line

way to go osprey, way to go

tg doesn't give osprey the love they deserve.

frostgrave was really popular last year, and the historical guys are all osprey all the time

>Start Collecting
>Each kit has a Hero, a Infantry
>Infantry
10 mooks do not an infantry unit make in WHFB

It used to friendo, it used to.

Just because you choose to play a shitty edition doesn't mean everyone has to.

Point in case, no edition allowed you to play with 10 skellies, 5 revenant cav and one HUEG skeleton monster rider kit.

Even the old battalion boxes were better. More value in them too.

6th edition>oldhammer>newhammer>shit>AoS

3rd did

Use the 10 skellies and the 5 revenants moving around and exploring, uh-oh, you found a giant evil horse, better fight it!

OP asked for a wargame.

>warhammer isn't a wargame

kek

I've literally never met anyone who has given me a reason why 6th is good.

Also the 6th rulebook is dirt cheap on ebay, while 3rd is much more expensive.

It was the height of fun for Warhammer. It was departing from herohammer while still retaining the significance of heroes, had a very fluid movement-based play and not too much special rules. The balance wasn't totally out of whack neither.

Except the whole no-premeasuring thing it was pretty much the most pleasant WHFB ruleset ever.

eh, the balance gets really fucked by the armybooks, ravening hordes is good though

I dunno, the movement & morale in 3rd seems much better to me

Compared to the total fuck up of the 7th or 8th edition, 6th edition "unbalance" was pretty tame tho.

idk man, that dark elves book