Does this seem viable...

Does this seem viable? Has anyone toyed around with the idea of creating a safe dungeon to house an ecosystem in there that could be of use for the outside world? What could it be used for? How can this go wrong?

>a safe dungeon to house an ecosystem in there that could be of use for the outside world?

So a low-maintenance farm. Quickly rendered obsolete by the more labour-intensive, but far more productive regular farm.

Seedbanks, mostly

My mind immediately went to BDSM.

I've been corrupted.

No, you're just normal for someone on Veeky Forums.

>regular farm
Can you farm dragons there?

It's pretty much the same as farming, only you're farming monsters.

Producing free light, heat, soil and so on are absolutely trivial for a wizard and druid working together.
Whatever layout the original dungeon had, it can be rearranged within days by using stone to mud and mud to stone strategically.
The best thing to produce would be pesh or whatever narcotic catches a good price in setting.
Several layers of underground farms can easily feed a castle during a siege.
A well designed dungeon can become self-sufficient with minimal effort, and that's before you start opening up portals to produce goods out of thin air.

What is a dungeon to you? Just any underground structure? Then the answer is yes, there are safe dungeons all over the real world. You probably have one in your basement.

That's probably a more typical use of the word 'dungeon' by non Veeky Forums standards
to go a step further producing ANYTHING with a druid and wizard working together is pretty trivial

A dungeon usually also contains some kinds of monsters.

If they're harmless, are they really monsters?

I'd define a dungeon as some kind of enclosed environment to have an adventure in, but again, if it's safe, it's not much of an adventure.

>self-sustaining dungeon ecosystem
I'm okay with this. You could set it up sort of like a fallout vault, so that after a while it can open up certain parts as part of an attempt to re-vitalize a world ravaged by some calamity. Or just keep it shut to preserve parts of the old world.

With enough dungeon-space and insanity, one could even set up a demihuman-sustaining ecosystem, intended to help a small population weather disaster in safety and later emerge to repopulate the world and helps its technology and knowledge base catch up to previous levels.

In one crack crossover fabrication, "Harry Potter and the Natural 20", Milo, the D&D style wizard, repeatedly ventures into the Chamber of Secrets as a quest because, despite knowing the location and function of the traps, solving them *still* counts for EXP.

So, yes, a safe dungeon.

It could be like Jurassic Park. Heroes get trapped in a supposedly safe dungeon ecosystem, and they happen to be at the bottom of the food chain.

>If they're harmless, are they really monsters?
I think it's one of the characteristics of a dungeon that it's a dangerous place and that there will be monsters, not cute little animals.

IRL there's a bottled garden (terrarium or vivarium) that's made it over 53 years since it's last watering. Only taking in sunlight through glass.

Worth noting that in the context of the Manga "dungeon" means a good bit more then just a self contained environment. This picture is taken from Dungeon Meshi chapter 17 titled Raspberries. This line is spoken during a magic class where they are making open terrariums (designed to be a pseudo dungeon) for the purpose of cultivating sprites which feed on magical energy. Her dream is more specific to farm mandrakes which can usually only survive in the high magical content of a dungeon.

Later in the chapter they find a relatively safe dungeon with a simple cycle of slimes eating bat gauno and producing magical energy which attracts sprites. Sunlight creates safe passages inside the cave.

So yes it's possible. It's basically finding a way to balance monsters that produce magic with safety in order to harvest crops that require a dungeon to produce. It could easily go wrong with monsters breaking out and harming people. It's mostly a way to get goods that can only be gotten from a dungeon out to a safer location.

I'd make a claim this is similar to monster loot farms in Minecraft. The main difference is that you only needed dark areas for monsters to spawn in minecraft and in this case more work is needed to get that to happen.

DEPENDS ON THE SETTING
E
P
E
N
D
S

O
N

T
H
E

S
E
T
T
I
N
G

You can't farm dragons anywhere, cunt.

Then lets house them in a dungeon, so we at least know where they are.

>giving houses to monsters
>not just killing monsters
You are dumb piece of shit, you know that?

In the Dungeon Meshi setting (where OP's image is from), dungeons possess numerous unique traits that can't be replicated outside them. Resurrection magic only works in dungeons, for one, and several plants and animals with useful medical and material properties can't survive outside a dungeon ecosystem. So creating a place that is effectively a dungeon in all ways, except without monsters that can kill you, would be a very useful thing.

I want to house them so we can occasionally kill them for their scales, teeth, organs etc.

Don't you get what this thread is about?

Don't you get that your ideas are without novelty and merit?

Dungeon Maker on the ds

>not killing all of the monsters and charging an exorbitantly high price for their body parts because you hold a monopoly now

Have you played Dwarf Fortress? What the dorfs live in are "safe" dungeons.

So a zoo. Yes, a zoo seems viable.

You won't hold that monopoly for long if you killed them all. This is not sound thinking.

Ah, so in other words, OP is using a private definition of "dungeon" that neither Veeky Forums nor the world at large could be expected to understand. OP is deep up his own ass.

>You won't hold that monopoly for long if you killed them all.
Oh, but I would. They're not items that are in high demand, and I have all of them. It will be quite some time before my stocks are diminished, and by then I'll have figured out some other way to make myself fabulously rich.

I immediately imagined a place where you simulate a perfect environment for flora and fauna usually found in dungeons, but in such a way that it's easily accessed and studied by mages/scientists. Maybe go a bit deeper and study adventurers in it?

>study adventurers

>They're not items that are in high demand
You just made that up so your argument makes sense.
>and by then I'll have figured out some other way to make myself fabulously rich
Good "plan", maybe it works. Maybe.

>You just made that up so your argument makes sense.
Hypocrite.

Those peeps are called anthropologists. They're kind of upstuck pricks that think they're part of the cultures they study.