Order of the Stick 1047 Perhaps a Few Mini-Revolutions

Yet another comic strip that only exists so Rich can please his pedantic and autistic fanbase by explaining everything in maximum detail.

How the hell is Eugene Greenhilt LG?

He isn't. He petitioned to the lawful good afterlife, doesn't necessarily make him LG.

In Start of Darkness, they said the only thing keeping him out of the lawful good afterlife was his blood oath

He's LG the way a lot of christians are Christian.

Literally nothing happened, but at the very least that second to last panel made me chuckle.

thog make edit!

I think it's more the blood oath forbids him from even filing the paperwork to petition for a possible stay in the afterlife.
Once the oath is cleared, it's almost certain that his case will be evaluated and he'll be kicked down to what... true neutral?

If not the entire setting is shit. Well, even more shit. Actually a fair amount of the setting is fine. But the lens through which we perceive it has had words scrawled all over it.

This whole strip reads like a thread on /tg, I can totally imagine discussing the logistics of dwarf to dragon ratios.

The way they were talking made it seem to me like he was definitely in if not for the blood oath.

Although the person doing the evaluation was judging him based on his life, while we've only seen how he behaves after he died.

I'm not really sure if stuff that happened after he died will apply to what after life he goes to

I think he might just be irritated about having to stay as a ghost for so damn long and just wants to get it over with.
Though the first statement he says isn't ALL that evil, at least from his concern since it's really more a question of one's faith and from his perspective he literally can't do anything about it.

Thog cut out too much stuff, can barely see anything.

thatsthejoke.png

To be fair, being dead changes your perspective on a lot of things.

Roy had some foggy memories of bliss and happiness once he was resurrected.

Eugene literally sees paradies every single day. He's absolutely certain that people get to exist after death in whatever afterlife they deserve.
He knows the process is done by beings of pure law, backed by divine authority. That's a zero chance of mistakes.

We've also seen that OotS afterlife is a better life until you've had enough of life.

So knowing all that to be true, why would you be worried about mortals dieing? It's literally a better existance.

We can see that Eugene pauses once he realises that dwarves will no get that. His solution to that is finding ways of getting the dwarves into paradise.

It comes of as cold and unethical, but it's actually not.

It's like this. You have a splinter in your foot. It's been in there for years and is ingrown. You got used to it. To remove it you'd have to cut open your foot and pull it out.
That hurts and is messy, but afterwards you'll be amazed how good walking feels.

Eugene is currently waiting for his doctors appointment and sees the healed people playing outside.

What exactly is this page for? Who wants to bet that if we removed the page entirely the comic would flow just fine.

>he doesn't care about context

The point was a joke.
Because OotS is a comedy.

He's trying to help the dwarves get to their heaven by following the rules. It's not his fault that the rules are blisteringly stupid.

Okay, you know how they had a God Vote, but because of the tie, they had to go to a Demigod Vote, but the deciding vote had to consult with his kings, so they're going to a Dwarven King vote?

What if at the vote, one of the Dwarven Kings says
>I swore upon taking my throne that I would rule my clan with and by the consent of the aldermen, therefore, before making my vote, I must hold a vote of every wiseman, mayor, and elder in my kingdom

And so they get that vote sorted out, but it's a tie -- except for the last tiebreaking vote, one minor mayor who insists that he can't cast his vote without first putting it to a local referendum

The local referendum has a good turnout, but it pretty much turns up tied, except the tie-breaking vote would be a teacher, who insists on polling her class for opinions

So the fate of all existence is decided by a dwarven schoolchild

When he died he was still LG. He's moved towards True Neutral since, but since he hasn't been judged yet he's still outside the LG afterlife.

That almost sounds stupid enough that Rich would do it, but in actuality it's the type of stupid that Brian Clevinger would do, and *he* would make it funny.

So are these threads just armchair writers bragging about how they could totally make a comic that's 100x better and they just, uh, don't have the time?

>1000 pages later, the story is still about walls of text involving the black guy talking to his grandpa's ghost

Remember when OOTS was funny?

That's his dad's ghost, for one.

Pretty much.

>"Dude you put shit in this sandwich, literal feces. This tastes awful."
>'UHHH ARE YOU A CHEF NOW MISTER? WHO ARE YOU TO JUDGE THIS EXPRESSION OF THE CULINARY ARTS HUH?'

Watch out, some of these people have been eating those sandwiches for years and have become fanatically loyal to the chef for some reason.

>Shitty food metaphors that are barely applicable.
Am I on /v/?

>unfitting food analogy

>Poop sandwich metaphor is actually too deep for some people
You see, the chef is the comic book author. The sandwich is his comic. The shit is the unfunny walls of text with no actual comedy he started churning out several hundred pages ago.

Ok but seriously are you from /v/? You sound like you're from /v/.

In a world where the gods and afterlife are real, respect for life hasn't much bearing on the alignment.
He's still a fedoralord and too smart for his pants (but he goes around in a robe anyway).

>oh my gosh this blt is terrible you should add skittles and apple sauce
>maybe should leave the cooking to someone who knows how to cook
>you're obviously a fanboy for questioning my flawless critique lol

Please take your autism medication already.

Nothing he said is technically wrong. If anything Roy is slipping into NG territory.

>blt
If the bacon and tomatos are the comedy, then this basically nothing more than a head of lettuce between two buns.

Here's a critique for you: Brevity is the soul of wit.

You're one of those people who burlew edit unrelated comics in unrelated threads aren't you? Haven't you learned that mindlessly cutting words out isn't cruise control for good writing?

>Brevity is the soul of wit
You do realize that line originated from a Shakespeare play where it was used ironically, correct?

You obviously have trouble understanding anything unless it is phrased in 10,000 words or more.

The irony comes from the fact that the character who is using it is generally not brief or witty. The statement itself has become an English proverb.

You did realize that, didn't you?

>I'm not really sure if stuff that happened after he died will apply to what after life he goes to
That's a good point - what he does in #664, just as Roy's leaving the afterlife, certainly isn't Lawful, and likely isn't Good either

No, I still think the original is the better edit. He cut out everything unnecessary while keeping everything this page contributed to the story.

Clevinger would also make it a one, maybe two page strip.

And that's why it would've been funnier.

>Muh fantasy epic webcomic doesn't need character development

It doesn't need a plot, either. Because now plot is just standing in place.

wait, whats the business with the dwarves?

My favorite parts are "here to plan?" and the ending.

kek at the end.

Dwarves all follow the Northern gods, and basically have the same deal the norse believed - get an honourable death, you go to Valhalla with the fun gods, dishonourable death, you're Hel's bitch, so if you're dying of cancer go get yourself killed in a fight so you don't end up with Hel.
Ending the world kills all dwarves (approx 10 million) dishonourably, putting all those souls under Hel's authority - this would be more than anyone else in the Northern Pantheon, so Hel becomes Queen of the Northern Gods.

yea I remember that problem, but why would Daddy Greenhilt suddenly care.

He doesn't particularly, but no-one wants Hel to be the Queen of the Northern Pantheon.
Also he still thinks he will be getting into LG Heaven when things get resolved

I've always thougt that it's strange for roy to be lawful. he feels more like the accomodating "anything goes" kind of good. I.E. neutral/good

Because while he may be a total jerk, he's not the kind of guy who's comfortable damning innocent souls to eternal torment. He was LG in life, and even now is TN at worst. He's not Evil.

He works within the Law as much as possible. He always turns villains into the relevant authorities whenever he can, and tried to follow the local laws of the Empire of Blood while they were there (before realizing how Evil it was). He also takes contracts and promises very seriously and has a pretty big desire to do things "the proper way" when he can. He's willing to bend the rules when he has to (he's not a Paladin after all) but he is usually uncomfortable doing so.

Compare him to Elan who had no problem dine and dashing when he was hungry, or robbing a store to get necessary supplies (though he left money behind in that case iirc).

>You don't think there are enough dragons?

Not anymore there aren't.

THANKS VAARSUVIUS.

well assuming that there's an approximately equal number of black, red, green, and blue dragons and V killed a quarter of the black dragon population, they'd only have killed 1/16 of the world's evil dragons

Is there some internet archive for OOTS edits?

When/how did that happen? I can faintly remember something about V killing lots of dragons but that's it

Familicide

V was hopped up on evil spellcaster souls and cast Familicide on the black dragon threating V's mate and kids, killing the dragon's whole family line-- including Girard and his whole clan, fucking things over at his Gate.

A chef and an artist both make products for consumption. If a good portion of the chef's consumers find the product distasteful, then whether or not the chef acts on it or not, there is cause to change things up. Similarly with the artist.

also,
>food analogies

This is close to a bunch of Nips bitching about a perfectly good PB&J.

Or anyone else when they find out that said island niggers KNOW that Natto smells like stinky feet.

I don't think he is anymore due to being a afterlife supplicant for so long. In fact, when Roy kills Xykon I'm expecting Eugene to give the middlefinger to the LG realm and fuck off to the Neutral planes, just to stick it to the Man. He has quite an ego, when the chips are down I bet he's a "better to rule in Hell" kind of guy.
Speaking of inconsequential trivia, why did Xykon's Energy Drain affect the ghost thingies possessing V? They aren't alive, so Negative energy should have no effect on them.

>get an honourable death, you go to Valhalla
Only half of the people who died in battle ended up in Valhalla. The rest got to stay at Freya's palace. And the people who drowned at sea got to drink mead with Ægir under the seas.

Simply put, Norse afterlife was a complicated mess. You had at least one afterlife for every imaginable circumstance.

>Artists should make whatever the largest number of general public members want to see

So basically you're saying Hitler was a better artist than Picasso because Picasso was unappreciated in his time, while Hitler made postcards to appeal to the lowest common denominator?

Yeah, but they can't cast on their own, and have to somehow interface with V' to be able to actually use the knowledge and power they gained during life.

So the energy drain probably hits V and through him/her the bounded spirits.

>u u u u
I thought it was shit but then I saw it was great

here you go idiots

a few vocal idiots in one thread on Veeky Forums does not equal a good portion of the consumers. and sometimes you have to fight fire with fire

I don't know what you all are bitching about, I thought it was funny.

I think it's more the fact it could have been condensed into half as much space. Keep the pace up and things happening, rather than a fairly weak joke and exposition.

Honestly, I'm beginning to think that OotS should just go full Erfworld and have illustrated text posts dipping into comics only when there's significant action. They've got about the same pace, characters thinking out loud and exposition.

it's literally just memes

Ti's still better than all of them going to Hell, they ought to at least inform the Dorfs about it.

>Quick civil war
kek

This is the guy that is trying to get into Lawful Good heaven? I hope they turn him around at the door once he gets his chance to come in.

Thog recount horrors of corruption in celestial bureaucracy.

I'm happy for Roy that he's a Fighter. All this moral objectivism he's getting into would have made Paladin fall.

Which brings up an interesting line of thought...

If a Paladin's god chose to destroy the world and the Paladin went against it, would they immediately fall?
>I'm guessing yes?
And as to, can another god pick up a fallen Paladin to rejuice them?

I remember hearing a horror story along those lines, although it wasn't a god, but some fallen angel, and the DM ruling that the Paladin fell for trying to stop him (non-violently) from this scheme he had of killing good people and using their souls to attack Hell or something.

>Honestly, I'm beginning to think that OotS should just go full Erfworld and have illustrated text posts dipping into comics only when there's significant action. They've got about the same pace, characters thinking out loud and exposition.

Agreed. It would be more honest.

Yes.
Unless your taken a level in Ur Priest(raw divinity without being divine), or change God.

>All this moral objectivism he's getting into would have made Paladin fall.
I don't know, we've seen it takes some serious shit to make a paladin fall in the OotS-verse

Thats because in OoTS, the Deity manually has to strip their paladins.
Unlike playing normally as a GM, where the GM strips the Paladin because the GM desires so, or at the least tries to argue it.

Are Ur Priests based on Dagoth Ur?

Is Dagoth Ur based on Dagon?

Mehrunes Dagon? Don't think so.

Especially for this page, you could have Roy and his dad in an illustration both conversing, and the rest is just prose.

Clearly, that DM was full of shite.

It's refreshing to see it come full circle, honestly.

>A chef and an artist both make products for consumption
Art is not consumed

>If a good portion of the chef's consumers find the product distasteful, then whether or not the chef acts on it or not, there is cause to change things up.
What qualifies as "a good portion?"
The people that like to bitch about OOTS on Veeky Forums are almost certainly a very small subset of OOTS audience.

In addition, if you find yourself "consuming" OOTS you likely have an eating disorder, likely some time of pica.

>a good portion

Veeky Forums is literally the only place I've seen OOTS discussed where I've seen this consistent sort of bitching displayed.

I've seen it a couple of times in other places, (about a half-dozen of them, the official forums are terrible, so I don't go there without something specific to laugh at them spazzing over) like during a few parts of the desert arc, where people agreed it was terrible pacing for a webcomic, but would probably read okay in book form.

But this consistent, every strip where two characters exchange more than three words in the entirety of the comic, bitching about wordswordswords? Only here.

A consumer is someone who is willing to pay for goods, whatever they may be. Art is a marketable good and thus can be "consumed".

>Veeky Forums is literally the only place I've seen OOTS discussed where I've seen this consistent sort of bitching displayed.

That's because all Veeky Forums is good for nowadays is trolling and bitching.

You can have something that's genuinely great but you'll still find some random chode on Veeky Forums nitpicking it to all hell because people cannot accept something that isn't terrible.

A big part of the problem for OOTS is that 6wordsaminuteanon was persistent enough in his (I hope) trolling that WORDSWORDSWORDS became a meme here. Now you get the usual mouth-breathers that want springboard off of a successful meme to get (you)s, and bitching about OOTS being too wordy is the lower diving board in the public pool of entry-level trolling platforms on Veeky Forums.

>Speaking of inconsequential trivia, why did Xykon's Energy Drain affect the ghost thingies possessing V? They aren't alive, so Negative energy should have no effect on them.

The Energy Drain hit V, not the spirits. Which made V lose enough focus to break the connection with the spirits.

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what's going to happen

There is a trivial solution that nobody even talks about. At least one destroy god wanted to change his vote, but it was against the rules to do so. If his high priest dies, his vote is revoked. So somebody kills him. There. Problem solved. This takes all of five minutes. He does not even have to kill himself, he can just attack another priest, get killed, and have died in honorable combat.

People just appear to want "BRACKABRACKA" sound effects

All these words man, having to read is for losers man.

>To be fair, being dead changes your perspective on a lot of things

Case in point.