Anyone else prefer armor that's under robes/shawls/cloaks...

Anyone else prefer armor that's under robes/shawls/cloaks? I kinda like the idea of not having pure metal showing on the outside, makes it look more "lived in" for lack of a better term.

Anyway, Robes/clothing over armor thread, with a special request for desert armor like this.I'll post what I have, though admittedly it's mostly Morrowind art.

Other urls found in this thread:

wargamesfoundry.com/medieval/hundred-years-war/infantry/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Muret
perry-miniatures.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_62&products_id=3148&osCsid=k2nnt3j74qpcm8kp2ok8p4chu6
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

What I've got for now

As a medieval fag I've got assloads of images like this.

It's notable that for much of the middle ages, armor was obscured by some kind of fabric for various reasons. Keeps your armor from getting stupid hot and burning you at the touch, protects it from water and therefore rust, allows you to display colors so there's no BLUE ON BLUE ASSHOLE issues, and later let every single faggot within a mile know just who beat their sorry ass so they can go running home to mama and bawl their eyes out.

And it's not just a European thing either.

And it's not like it stopped that early either, even in the early 15th century they were still wearing long coats/jupons over armor.

Guy in white in the front is just kind of done even caring, this day's not gonna get any better. Only bastard to forget to bring his armor and of course he gets the infidel with the knife.

And then there's the real extravagant shit from tournaments.

>allows you to display colors so there's no BLUE ON BLUE ASSHOLE

THey also used paint for that

My personal favorite however has to be the Aragonese Knights, as I love the mixture of European armor with some more arab traits introduced by the Moors until they kicked their asses back. Spanish knights in general had a drastically different look from their compatriots up north until the later middle ages. Especially when it comes to gorgets.

"That's what happens when you play Moor, scrub."

Yeah. Fuck the victorians for their paint-scrubbing, bastards ruined our perception of the late middle ages by molesting artifacts.

cont

And of course with the late middle ages we get the really ridiculous heraldic jupons/surcoats, not to sure what the proper technical term is at this point as they aren't padded like a normal jupon.

Wearing clothes over armor serves at least one important function by keeping it out of direct sunlight, which can make the metal very hot

This looks hilarious, I'm not exactly sure why but I can't help but smile.

Thought it was Santa Claus from the thumbnail
>guess what you're getting for Christ's Mass, knave?

>Quit running ya little wanker! You're laughing now, but when I get to you, I'll hack ya to bits! St-stop laughing!

I know this probably isn't the case, but the idea of this actually very skilled, very chivalrous, and very kind Fat Knight with that armor just makes me very happy.

Onionbro?

I'm pretty sure he wasn't actually fat, but you never know with these things.

I want to play campaign with a Duergar warrior, his pal Illithid sorcerer, and Billy "El Eyes" Beholder.

>fat knights

Eugh.

I DONT NEED NO FRIENDS
I DONT NEED NO PHONE
JUST A BAG OF SEVERED HEADS
ANY MY NUCLEAR THRONE

a fat knight is a successful knight

I love this sort of thing. I love colorful knights and soldiers, and really just colorful fantasy in general. I really hate this GoT dung ages everything was dingy and drab and brown and joyless in the middle ages meme when in reality people have always loved being flashy and colorful

None of those Knights are fat user. They have what is called a globose chest. It's a piece of fashion from the 14th century and 15th century that gives the wearer the appearance of having a globe-shaped upper torso.

The cause for this is multiple. Firstly a true breastplate only covers your ribcage, it does NOT cover your entire torso, for if it did you couldn't bend at the waist. Instead there are faulds for this job, a set of interlocking bands in the 14th century that allow for full movement. Secondly to deflect weapons away from the breast of the wearer, it has a very globular shape to it as this does the best job of making most hits glances, harmlessly casting aside arrows, bolts, and hammer blows. Thirdly, it's simply fashion of the time. However in all those pictures is actually a very lean, fit young man.

Here is a good example of globose armor design. Note that the beltline is at your true waist, not the modern lower waist, which sits under the belly button and on the pelvis. The medieval waist sits between the ribs and pelvis, touching zero bone.

And here is a decent reproduction.

The camera angle makes the eyes look so damn sad.

>Man, that guy's armour is so much better than mine
>It's painted with fucking red stripes and flames
>The best I've got is this shitty black tunic and some red-and-black sleeves
>I wanna go home, I'm not good enough for this melee in the sense of an organised fighting competition, think a medieval version of those gatherings these photos are probably taken at

Oddly enough the filename is JollyKnight"

>"Guys? You know we're in the middle of a battle, right?"

That also reminds me of how lindybeige believed those helmets had a "friendly smile". To be entirely honest, I actually believe seeing such a thing on the battlefield would be pretty weird. It looks like some weird metal bird-man with a crazy beak that could poke your eyes out. I unironically think it looks cool.

Jollyknight Armory, they're bretty gud, if albeit expensive.

And now back to our schedules program.

I love how the old ~4th edition bretonnian knights have that look.

shame they're so fucking expensive now

NOT MUH NEREVAR MASK!

wargamesfoundry.com/medieval/hundred-years-war/infantry/

You can thank me later.

I know about that, but foundry doesn't have the ones I'm looking for.

>some other guy's bidding against me
>only other option is $40 flat

why didn't I buy these twenty years ago

>Roy d'Aragon
Hahaha! Oh wow!

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Muret
>Simon de Montfort led an army of 1,600 French Crusaders, along with a small contingent of knights brought by his ally, the viscount of Corbeil. Simon de Montfort's 900 cavalry included 270 knights, making the small Crusader force of exceptional quality.
>King Peter of Aragon had brought 800 to 1,000 Aragonese cavalry, joined by a militia from Toulouse and armies brought by the counts of Comminges and Foix. King Peter of Aragon's combined forces possibly numbered 4000 cavalry, with 30,000 to 40,000 infantry.

>King Peter rode to the front line, forsaking his royal armour for the plain armour of a common soldier. His army was disorderly and confused. When Montfort's first squadron charged the field, the Aragonese cavalry was crushed and Peter himself was unhorsed. He cried out, "I am the king!" but was killed regardless. With the realization that their king had been killed, the Aragonese forces broke in panic and fled, pursued by Montfort's Crusaders.

>that helmet

Fuck guys back then had some sweet style.
I gotta put a helmet like that in one of my games.

to be fair, peter IV was probably the most retarded of all the kings of aragon, they did pretty well without him

>I gotta put a helmet like that in one of my games.
You could probably justify it. While in movies the main characters never wear helmets. having decorations on your helmet makes it easier to distinguish "main charachters" (celebrated heroes, nobles, kings etc.). It allows their soldiers to see what badass is leading them, and their enemies to see just who is about to whoop their ass. It can also lead to shenanigans where some jackoff disguises himself as the king because the king is too busy feasting.
Here's lookin' at you, Harlaus

No wonder nobles always escape from me in Mount&Blade...

Though this is a really awesome plot for a game imma use that shit

>No sources at all about the funny parts.

My wow goes down.

>Goddamn it, Frank, your drunk again. Where are your pants?

Did that nigga on the right just surprise attack his own horse?

Fellow /tgesg/fag here. The fact that you could have robes over your armor was one of my favorite details, not just for using enchantments, but for aesthetics and roleplaying. Naturally people who live in ash wastelands would war robes and clothes what keep out ash.

Yes

I haven't even been reading shit I just came for the pictures

Step up your game lads

I'm actually listing to Protomen I post this
> WE'VE GIVEN EVERYTHING WE CAN
> ARE THERE NO HEROES LEFT IN MAN?

Pic didn't post

>not my name
>that's our word
>frankish lives matter

I'm actually partial to the opposite: armor over flowing robes and the like. This could be piecemeal like a pauldron or a small plate of the heart, or a full breastplate.

If my hard drive didn't die last month, I could post a picture of what I mean.

I like armor/robe mixes because I play clerics.

Do you guys also want me to post fantasy shit?

This one is amazing.

How about these?

perry-miniatures.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_62&products_id=3148&osCsid=k2nnt3j74qpcm8kp2ok8p4chu6

A little basic, but I'm not sure you'll find cheaper.

He didn't watch his backswing.

I can only hope the mesieval paint had a sense of humor and followed this with a comic like second scene of him ripping the horse's head off as he swung into the guy, smacking him with a horse head on a sword.

ALRIGHT LADS

THE REALISM COMES OFF NOW

TIME FOR FANTASY

There is only one true set of robe armor. Pic related.

"Hmm......do I want a Zweihander or a Großes Messer......hmmm."