Can Veeky Forums help me figure it out what would draw people who loves games like Dark Souls and Dragons Dogma but...

Can Veeky Forums help me figure it out what would draw people who loves games like Dark Souls and Dragons Dogma but dislikes Elders Scrolls and Baldurs Gate to play a TTRPG? More specifically (but not necessarily) D&D.

>Love games
Okay
>Like Dark Souls
Nice
>And Dragon's Dogma
Patrician tas-
>But dislike Elder Scrolls
Okay I can understand disliking the Skyrim hype but if we look at them honestly and objectively they were all fun games and-
>Baldurs Gate
So they hate fun and love struggle. Run a Sandbox campaign like Elemental Evils, or a turbo-difficult campaign like Tomb of Horrors.

bumping

I know that 5e has hardcore rules where essentially a short rest is a day and a long rest is a week.

From there just say 0 hp = dead and you can confidently say that you are running a game that is hard as fucking balls and making mistakes is bad news bears.

Bonus points for including creative encounters in environments for them (and their enemies) to use.

Maybe they just like the atmosphere and aesthetics of the first two. Very little else will transfer between the two mediums.

Dragons Dogma you can pretty much copy 1:1 into a D&D campaign

I think that if they like DD and DS way more than ES and BG they probably like hack n slash more. Don't focus too much on the story and try to create a dark atmosphere they can enjoy. Also, make the combat challenging, not in a hard intelectual manner (stimulating power gamming) but in a way that rewards preparation and that really pushes the players so that they can experience that feeling of accomplishment. Make them fail and try again.

Could the bonfire mechanic be used effectively D&D?

This could allow for combat to be lethal and challenging without having to re roll new characters all the time.

Implement bloodstains too, all the exp they have acquired for that level will be dropped and much be reclaimed.

Never played Baldur's Gate, but I love the rest. The detail that strikes me immediately is that Dark Souls is very action-packed, constantly doing something, and Elder Scrolls is semi-comfy slow-paced immersion. Dragon's Dogma sits close to the middle, with a big open world, but lots of stuff going on constantly. I'll bet your players will more kick-in-the-door action, and less political intrigue.

The problem with that is that TTRPGs are turn-based, which naturally slows things down. I find, keeping fights "cool" can help keep their attention. For example, I once had pirates attack the players' ship in a storm. Not terribly practical of the pirates, but it was a badass fight.

>I know that 5e has hardcore rules where essentially a short rest is a day and a long rest is a week.

That's not hardcore. That's tedious.

Thats a weird question.
Your friends like videogames, especially action ones. So what?
If you are a good DM showering them with freedom and good descriptions, and if they have a least a bit of a fucking imagination they wont look back at videogames the same way.

I asked because i think TTRPGs resemble a lot more the games that they didn't like than the ones they did.

So your friends dislike reading or a heavy lore world? They dislike high fantasy and prefer Dark fantasy?
Because DD is as high fantasy as baldurs gate.

A well made campaign can have much more engaging combat than a action rpg.
If you are blessed with a good DM you cant compare the experience to videogames.

The question is more about how can i emulate the same feeling of those games (DS and DD) and take away the feeling of the others (example skyrim and BG)

Maybe there is a TTRPG with combat that resembles DS and DD? I don't know, maybe without turns or with some skill element that doesnt involve math?

>A well made campaign can have much more engaging combat than a action rpg.
If you are blessed with a good DM you cant compare the experience to videogames.

I got really interest about what you have to say. Care to elaborate more?

For everytime they get knocked down they can get back up again.
Im running a campain like this. 100 floor dungeon. They die they lose their loot and some of the loot they have stored for being brought back to life. Not super much. Like 100gp*level+10*floor.

The draw for darksouls (for me anyway) is that I feel amazing after being knocked down 8 times and then getting past.
If you put the trap in the same place each time they will know how to get around it.

Well yes. You just put bonfires down and when players fall to 0 or otherwise die they respawn at the bonfire.

No it's not. It forces the players to think about encounters and make sure they are using every resource to their advantage.

Players need to think about what they do and use the environment and the enemies themselves to win.

Also the reason that the guy didn't like Baldur's gate is probably because it didn't age all that well.

You might be better off having this conversation with the group, OP.

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I know that my tastes can be fickle and I've seen plenty of players be really wishy washy about stuff or say they want something until they actually have it.

It's fine to reach out to a larger community of roleplayers to get some guidelines of what to look for. At the end of the day they are all friends so nobody is going to be pissed over the game not being "their vision"

TT will always involve running some numbers.

So lets imagine a combat heavy mega dungeon D&D, if the DM creates some fun combat encounters, anything can happen and will happen, and unlike a videogame, everything that happens can cause repercussions.

Collaborative story making is where TT shines.

My last group had a combat encounter over a big bridge in the underdark with two big gargoyles, a part of the bridge was collapsed. It was supposed to end quick, but the party explored the bottom of the pit, one was dangling from a rope over a deep chasm, one gargoyle fell into a tar pit and started slinging it at the heroes. Pure madness and pure joy.

DD..

I'm not sure how many of you in the past have actually played a game of dungeons and dragons, but this is about as close as you can get to that experience without breaking out some paper and pencils.

I love it!

I honestly feel like im traveling with a group of adventurers. I love leading them into dark unknown dungeons and traveling through the wilderness with them. Even all the monsters are pretty much pulled straight from D&D (beholders anyone?)

The pawn system gives you that feeling you get from D&D of playing with other peoples creations alongside your own. And some of the quests actually require you to run away from overpowering foes instead of reloading past saves until you kill it.

I have fond memories of escaping particularly dangerous dungeons from my old D&D group, and I get the same excitment out of this game as I did with them. Plus, I actually enjoy listening to my pawns talk (though admittedly they speak too much while in combat).

Crafting, combining items, finding hidden treasure, slaying foul beasts, working together with your group to stay alive. It's all here and it's all extremely enjoyable.

Aside from baldurs gate and icewind dale, this is the closest you can get to playing D&D. I love it so.

I don't imagine many of you younger ones have played D&D, but im sure someone out there has to agree with me.

I found DD pretty boring aside from the good combat system.

The only rpg that ever tried to emulate TT well was either Temple of elemental evil, Torment on the social side, and Mount & Blade on pure sandbox madness.

>tedious

check out the fantasycraft RPG. it is a crunchier 3.5 and does tactical combat better than any RPG i've ever played. combat is vicious and large; mooks spawn as # PCs while named things spawn in singles. there are mechanics for "cheating death" if the combat isn't dramatic, which means true death is always meaningful.

there's a thread on Veeky Forums pretty frequently.

Icewind Dale is the best simulation of regular D&D out of all the Infinity Engine games.

O-oh, you are one of those trolls that have been popping up...huh?

I'm going to stop talking to you now...

Sounds like you want to attract masochists who like to grind with little story driving them. Run Tomb of Horrors and prepare to die (tm)

>dragons dogma is the bees fuckin knees tho

Please tell me the name of this game.

Severance: Blade of Darkness

If they really like tactical combat, they might like 4e?

This.

Cut back on the healing surges that they get and call them Estus Flasks

Seconded.

If you feel particularly asshole-ish, keep the campfires and have those as the only recharge points for your estus, and also keep respawning enemies.

I haven't seen a thread in months. Definitely a good system though, I'd love to home brew some rules to emulate Dragons Dogma style climbing mechanics.