What is the edgiest setting?

What is the edgiest setting?

WoD 1st Edition

40k, and it isn't even close.

I came here to post either Warhammer, but then existed.

Also, OP, if you're looking to run something in that setting for funsies, don't. You won't find a single normal person who plays WoD, new or old. And I don't mean normies, I mean people who aren't popping Oxycontin and talking about the new tattoo or lip piercing they're getting soon.

How? The setting as a whole isn't edgy, just portions of it.

>everything is awful all the time
>the "good guys" cover themselves in skull and often blood markings
>any character who attempts to be good, ever, gets shit on
>and this will never change

I'm looking for something to run that will make my players flip the table. My neighbor is an autist about most shit and "edgy" is his biggest trigger.

We play 40k in GURPS and he doesn't complain about the edge in that.

I wouldn't call that edgy though, maybe tryhard, but not edgy.

When it comes to edge, I'm thinking more along the lines of a Colombine shooter fangirl's deviant art.

Just use Legend of the Five rings to run a Naruto campaign. How the GM presents the narrative always makes a larger impact than the system used.

Also,
>attempting to piss people off
>expecting them to come around and play games with you when you're being serious

They play games regardless, everyone thinks he has a secret fetish for being angry because he actively seeks this kind of shit out and comes barging over to knock on our door and tell us about the edgy shit he just saw on the internet. That or what the SJW's have done now.

The other players are all about playing terrible roleplaying games in between our actual campaign games. Like watching Birdemic because it's so bad.

I'm not familiar with Legends of the Five Rings. What's that like? I also know very little about Naruto.

I feel like 40k can be edgy, depending on who's writing it, but a lot of the more popular recent takes on it have been more like a heavy metal cartoon. Dawn of War and anything following its example in particular tend towards this approach; big strong colourful archetypes throwing themselves at each other, and no real screen time for small weak people being helpless or miserable.

Maybe the books are more willing to embrace the helplessness aspect of the setting. Games always struggle with helplessness, since a person playing a game is making decisions and therefore not helpless in the broad sense.

Wraethulhu has a picture of genitalia on the cover, and a major part of the setting is that being unbirthed through the hermaphroditic genitalia of the psychic mutant vampires allows you to be teleported to the wombs of other psychic mutant vampires.

Warhammer is too combat focused to be truly "edgie". I mean, yeah, there's a whole lotta dark shit underneath and in the lore, but the game tends to just be about blowing shit up.

The edge is lost to the game'ish aspects and juggling numbers. For maximum edge, you need minimum game. More drama, less combat.

You might try:
Wraith: The Oblivion

I'd suggest Vt:R or Vt:M, but, despite being Vampire games, in the right (or wrong) hands, they can also quickly devolve into blowing shit up. Wraith, on the other hand, is all about personal torment and anguish, pretty much no matter how you spin it (well, unless you spin it really hard, I suppose).

see It's actually a reasonably historically accurate RPG system tailored for an eastern setting. Everyone thinks it's anime however.

If you're not familiar with Naruto, you really don't need to spend any time on it. It goes downhill fast. Pic related is actually mostly accurate, although of course exaggerated for effect.

>It's actually a reasonably historically accurate RPG system
Not really. It's a fantasy setting first and foremost, with historical accuracy at the very, very bottom of its list of priorities.
Because of this, it can be used to really grind a weeb's gears.

Kult?
FATAL?

Please try to list systems that actually work, and can be played.

When 3rd/Revised was out, there was so much potential for Vampire to be a hyperpolitical game. I wound up having more politics in Werewolf games. To this day it nags in my head that I never played a centuries spanning game of cat and mouse.

It's hated by everyone with a brain because it doesn't appeal to weebs or armchair historians or real historians.

If you like katanime you'll hate it, if you like Kurosawa you'll hate it, if you like reading about the Sengoku period you'll hate it.

OP said settings, not systems.

Myfarog then? Although that's just in Varg's occasional fluff rants. The game is just typical OSR stuff.

Saying that nobody would like it because it doesn't conform historically is really dumb.
The vast majority of fantasy settings don't conform to history. For example, D&D settings typically have high gothic plate armor next to post-fall of Rome level societies that share borders, but almost no culture or aesthetics, and have widely spread pagan religions that don't inherently clash with each other because their gods are "allies".

I'm looking for something that you don't have to be an otaku-sperg to understand why it's edgy.

It usually turned into a game of political intrigue for most of my groups - though there was group of gothgirls who turned it into a personal torment thing...

Did have one long campaign, with one of the more political intrigue oriented groups, that started us off as 4-5th generation vampires in 3,000BC and worked us up to the present day (through several long jumps) to finish off in the TOJ as ancient elders, where all our, largely competing, epic plans to end and/or conquer the world came to a head, and we all died gloriously (well, most of us did - I think one of us took a shovel to the back of the head).

But I've also seen it turn into "vampires with guns", discarding the Sabbat with self-discarding sabots, and such, which was meh... Fuggers just played too much Shadowrun to adjust to a storyteller format - completely lost its edge (though gained some comedy).

Kult sounds like it has potential for maximum edge... How often does it turn into Ghostbusters/Cult Extermination like CoC though?

>Start as elder in 3,000 BC.
>Seven dots in Age.
>Four dots in Past Lives.
Who are your past lives?
>Monkeys.

Does the world in World of Darkness start in like 8000BC or something?

Nobody really plays it, at least not not this board. And any edgy/dark game has the potential to turn into that (some VtM LARPs were just fronts for orgies). Either the GM rolls with it or the party dies.

Well, according to oWoD Mage, at least, time gets kinda "fuzzy" before 500BC or so. Weaver was still a little sluggish.

>(some VtM LARPs were just fronts for orgies)
Gah... Some of the best and worst times of my young life.

>tfw some idiot brings actual guns for props
>meanwhile some other idiots are doing speed
>in an actual fucking mortuary with 20+ people
>in fucking California
I've no idea how we didn't all end up in jail that night.

If it was during the height of WW's popularity...well depending on what part of Cali, you barely would've been noticed

This is the kind of shit that needs to be recounted in full, user.

I agree.

Early 90's, Newport... The sex and drugs you could get away with... But the guns... I mean, even without involving the cops, that was just over the top stupid. Woulda left right then, if not for the need to make sure my friends, who were already plastered out of their minds, didn't shoot themselves or anyone else somehow.

Bit of a haze now... The guy who hosted it was a mortician, so he basically had the idea to have this big V:tM-MET party, essentially, at work. I mean there were coffins everywhere, an adjacent grave-yard, and even a prepared corpse in the basement. Think his brother brought the guns mid-party, at his request. Cast was mixed, so there was a bit of a race going on first to figure who was and who wasn't a vampire (which is hard, when it's a party full of goffs). EVERYONE assumed I was one for some reason (I was a ghoul, and my Ventrue mistress kept encouraging this misdirection, but fell asleep / passed out early). Didn't go on too long before everything was too chaotic (read: high as fuck) to really allow the "plot" to progress, and I was too busy trying to make sure my "kids" weren't doing something stupid, that'd either bring the cops down on us or get someone killed, to really play anyways. (...and that was a fucking challenge.)

There's a lot of unrelated fun stories around that mortician guy though... Think he's in jail now, as they culminated with him failing to suicide by cop. He had a *really* hot wife I used to drool all over - I'd look her up, if I wasn't in occupied territory.

>The guy who hosted it was a mortician

He was showcasing the corpse in the basement during the party (all dressed up and in a coffin - having already had its viewing earlier that day). He was looking it over, pointing at bruises, exclaiming, "FUCKING MEXICANS! They always pick up and hug the damned body, ruining my art!!!"

He was an ass - but a hilarious one. He later moved to Utah and told these elaborate stories about how he had to "pose" as a Mormon to keep his job there. (Not that they had a lot of choice, not a lot of morticians to go around, and the only two US schools that taught mortician science in the 90's were both in California.)

Also fun stories about a Mormon goth club in Salt Lake City - which, needless to say, was bizarre.

Can you just tell the stories rather than wait for us to beg you for story time?

>tfw always wanted to run a vampire the masquerade campaign
Even with how badly it's aged, it's what started mu interest in tabletop games, so it has a special place in my heart.

Sadly, largely due to aforementioned fuzzy memories, not much else to tell that's actually related to the game. He and his brother turned out to be a vampire hunters under cover, and he actually put a gun in my face at one point, but I got "saved" by a vampire who bluffed us both out of it, before I could act on my impulse to punch him in the fucking face. The other quote I remember, from earlier that evening, was him going over the records of death at the mortuary, noting that nearly everyone on the list had died from gastrointestinal disorders, and saying, "See, that's the problem with Orange County - everyone's so fucking uptight that they forget to fart."

Also some argument between him and his wife about how "special" blow-jobs were (it was a different time), which ended with her in a huff for the rest of the evening. They divorced while he was in Utah.

Beyond that, vague recollections of my friend's topless girlfriend running out to the graveyard and trying to jump the fence, and dragging her back (she was always a handful, and said friend was always too drunk to handle her), pulling back some other friends from throwing shit off the roof, and pulling another female friend from doing a dance on its edge. Having to peel my drunk ex off me, several times... And my current girlfriend, at the time, choosing to hide in a closet, and fall asleep there. (In her defense, likely exhausted from trying to aid me in my attempts to maintain the gellar field.)

So, yeah... Good times!

>Aid me in my attempts to maintain the geller field

Top Kek

Not to undermine you or anything, but this is pretty much par for the course for old Vampire LARPs from what I understand.

Yeeaah... I suppose I might have some vague stories of a few others that might be a bit sexy, but that was the only one I ever attended where guns got involved, as well as absolutely the most chaotic.

that gun makes no sense. how does it reload.

I feel like 40k is too "HELL YEAH SPACE MARINES ALL VIOLENCE ALL THE TIME ROCK AND ROLL HEROIC SACRIFICE YEAAAAAAAH!" to be truly "edgy".
It's just too silly and action packed, and occasionally too aware of its own ironic nature to let the more serious aspects take over.
Abnett's probably the most serious take on the universe, and he goes out of his way to humanize things, establish that Imperials are fairly similar to modern Westerners in a lot of ways, even if they're radically different in their attitude towards religion and authority.

WOD would probably get my vote.

The same way actual hidden guns do, but on a larger, sillier scale. Slowly, through a hatch on the back that you can't access without taking the entire belt off.

>tfw always wanted to play vampire the masquerade but none wants to run it.

40k, at least since it got big enough in America for them to get it all wrong, is bar none the edgiest, most tryhardy grimderp setting there is.

"ohhh we massacred our allies and smeared their blood all over ourselves because we had to we had to *le pragmatic face*"

The people stumbling over themselves trying to remember the 'fun' parts about the setting, parts they're more than happy to forget about 99 days out of a 100, don't change any of that.

Well it's a "setting" not a "story" and you are encouraged to use whatever fluff you do and don't want.

I was actually disappointed with Myfarog, I expected it to be more racist.

To be edgy you need to take something you are too old to enjoy and try to make it for adults. For example, Wraethtu or Exalted Onyx Path using the Pony finder system.

This.

>this is what 14yr old Little Timmy 40kids actually believe

The entire setting is hard derp. Everything is too over the top, too LE FANTASY IN LE SPAAAACE!!! and too full of historical parody/theming to be edgy. And on top of that the Orks and jolly Papa Nurgle are pure comical silliness.

:)

>The people stumbling over themselves trying to remember the 'fun' parts about the setting, parts they're more than happy to forget about 99 days out of a 100, don't change any of that.

I think there's a sharp divide between people that interpret 40k as an over-the-top farcical 80s metal clusterfuck, and those that in all honesty want bald po-faced men grunting/shooting/monologuing about the necessity of war FOREVER.

Mayas well learn to run it...

...If you stick with just the core book, the rules are very simple and easy to learn (especially compared to D&D/PF). Toss on a chapter and a city book and it might make a good first GM'ing experience (or 'storyteller' as they like to call it.)

Any "city x by night" splat will provide so much intrigue that you can even just be lazy, sandbox it, and watch the game run itself - though you may want to make sure all your players are from the same clan and/or progenitor to keep them corralled, and make sure everyone and their cousin as enough Aura sense to pick up on Diablerie right away, and make it clear to the players there is thus absolutely no way they'll get away with eating another vampire's soul, let alone their master's. (For the first game, at least. Once you have the hang of it, you can give chaos more reign.)

Probably one of the D.C. or Marvel comics universes.

There are so many tryhard and edgy cape comic deconstructions set in it.

Think Bat Man, Punisher, Watchmen, etc..

Batman is really tryhard and edgy, I'll give you that.