How does your world account for different PC races, ethnic groups and genders being in the same starting party?

How does your world account for different PC races, ethnic groups and genders being in the same starting party?

because not everyone kills on site, mistrusting people can still work together

boats

roads

It's an underdark campaign. The PCs are from the surface. They stick together because even if they're different from each other, at least they're less different than everything else, also less likely to attempt cannibalism.

maybe they move but darkies or strong/magic ladies instead

Race is irrelevant unless you're talking about elves because fuck the fucking elves and those greedy shit dwarves.

Why the fuck should I care if Shauntae is brown when there is a literal fucking bearded scottish viking man stealing my taxes to buy beer?

Because the current state of turmoil means that there is a huge low of refugees in most direction, so everyone is mixing as convoys merge, split and resettle constantly.

I guess in medievel european fantasy settings you don't trade beyond the boarders of your pure all white kingdom (or perhaps it's the only landmass in the existence of the world).

Generally most cities, especially port cities will have a number of people from various parts of the world either passing through or living there.

My group believes that RPGs are meant to be pure escapism and power fantasy so usually we just hang black people

Just as IRL, diversity is an effect, not a cause. We need all the help we can get in this wicked world, and welcoming the best help we can afford as it becomes available sometimes results in interesting cultural exchanges - but other methods seem to fall somewhere between superstition and lunacy.

Also as IRL, the population is not largely composed of the superstitious and insane, so we're good.

>Also as IRL, the population is not largely composed of the superstitious and insane
Were do you live. Common people is dumb and kinda of insane for the most part. Go to any African country for superstition hilarity too.

In-setting, we're coming down off of the Fantasy equivalent of the 30 years war, coupled by the fact that half of not-europe has been nutpunched by Fantasy Black Plague. Now in the recovery period, it's "Every man, woman, pointy eared thing and hairy midget for themself, so we might as well for themself in the same direction."

Nobody trusts the orcs though. Everybody knows they're only on your side until someone with a deeper purse comes along. Get back in your caravans and roll on, Jethro.

Simple: It isn't a 1-1 copy of Earth in those matters.

I don't know man. I am really bad at facilitating a whole party backstory of why we are here and why we need to stick together. I just know we are here and willing to do shit.

I dunno, the same way the real world does I guess.

If there is one place where weird diverse groups would be totally normal in the medieval world, It would be in mercenary units. Adventurers are literally mercenaries.

D&D tries to emulate some of the cultural diversity of earth, so it wouldn't be unusual for a party to consist of a racial / ethnic mix.

racist

you mean hang out?

The group has traveled hundreds of miles in the last two months, and the whole world's on a smaller scale for the purposes of simplification.

I'm stealing gypsy orcs for my next campaign

Because the world is at peace (for now) and it's the beginning of an unprecedented age of prosperity, exploration, and trade

...you know many African countries and medieval not!Europe were in regular contact, trade, and citizen exchange with each other, right? And different genders too.

What is up with these shitty /pol/ threads today?

I usually figure that adventurers tend to be remarkable people in their own right, and so each party member's skills are valuable enough that others can overcome any prejudices they might have. They still might not like them, for either rational or irrational reasons, but they can set that aside.

Yep, that about sums it up.

Also in my setting most of civilization was shattered and collapsed into a number of huge walled cities to keep the monsters out. The roads and boats of the old kingdoms meant there was a lot of travel before that happened and so every city ended up being a bit of a melting pot since people banded together with the others nearby to build the cities, not striking out in search of their own kinds.

in our dystopian sci fi setting the aliens that conquered earth judged humanity to be on the low spectrum of intelligence and were thus turned into something equivalent to casteless in india. When all blacks were utterly genocided by their fellow man that ranking was raised to medium intelligence level.