Dungeon Meshi Chapter 27

Starting a dump. Cover page is a look at the assembled party, still no sign of Ronin in the actual dungeon though.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/mVoPG9HtYF8
twitter.com/AnonBabble

When we last left out heroes they had slayed a dragon and found a skull. Things are not looking up.

An interesting wrinkle to resurrection. I'd assume the more damage done to the body the hungrier you'd be when revived without ample materials on hand.

And now Marcille is starting to scare me.

The pact is sealed

Thread theme
youtu.be/mVoPG9HtYF8

Our recipe for today: Water, 35 liters. Carbon, 20 kilograms. Ammonia, 4 liters. Lime, 1.5 kilograms. Phosphorous, 800 grams. Salt, 250 grams. Saltpeter, 100 grams. Sulfur, 80 grams.Fluorine, 7.5, iron, 5, silicon, 3 grams, and trace amounts of 15 other elements…

Bake well and allow time for ingredients to settle.

Because that's not terrifying at all.

Never mind traumatizing.

>not enjoying the new Marcilles hotness
What's wrong with you?

So his sister becomes dragonborn?

We now return to your regular, not horrifying elf

No chapter for September, comic will resume in October. Next on the menu is dragon proper.

Technically yes, she not part dragon. The question of whether this dragon is also the dark elf from the paintings, and whether it's soul is not bound to Farlyn's body is still up in the air.

*now part dragon

She might be the new Dungeon Master now, yes.

So we've gone from cooking manga to anatomy manga.

>Laius and Marcille bonding over sorting his sister/her best friend's bones from Wargs and resurrecting her using forbidden magicks and a dragon's meat
We've come a long way.

Hey, expanding horizons and all that. Why not a bit of speculation on the physiology and anatomy of monsters?

I mean, we've already done a bit of that. Since they're cooking them, this often requires a bit of an explanation about how they work biologically, so they know what's safe/not safe to eat and how to prepare it.

Remember the Slime and the Cockatrice? Even the Undine got some analysis on how it worked physically.

Wow, best waifu got even better.

The face of a level 1 necromancer.

This series curves a really sweet line between being lighthearted and funny and episodic and actually showing the stresses of a dungeoncrawl adventure, too.

I wonder what makes this forbidden? The other resurrectionists seem to be able to operate just fine. Perhaps it's more that resurrection itself is forbidden, but allowed in the Dungeon because it can be easily done without fucking with anything due to the nature of how death works there. That would explain how she knew it, because she studied it in the past independent from the rise in usage connected to the dungeon.

I'm about 67% sure she's a zombie now. I remember the other undeads in this series moan a lot about being cold at least.

This is amazing. What a sinister specialization! And we see a little of Marcille's own personal morality here too.

I do like how they handle ressurection. Was it mentioned earlier that you had to use goats and pigs to get the squishy bits to revive people? That would be something I would incorporate as it not only makes sense but justifies that high prices of ressurectiong people when you have to buy/raise a fuck load of pigs and goats to sacrifice.

what happened to her being pure
suddenly shes all bloody and dark

It is to pad the story and add rules that did not already exist to make conflict later.

Also great decision by the artist to use the aperture in the dragon's body as a frame for the declaration.

It looks spooky. That's all I can think of. Marcille probably paid a price for that, which will be a problem later.

Ske is still pure, but with exrta talent now.

>elf
>pure

There's nothing purer than the blackest of ancient magics, unadulterated in their evil promise.

>skeleton siscon

Memes aside, yeah, pretty much.

This page could be a hint as to the dragon's influence.

Part of that might just be senshi still not liking resurrection magic. Nobody else in the group seems to regard the spell as evil.

First time we've had the rule about supplementing lost tissue with fresh meat. When the female dwarf got headshot her healing didn't require any additional tissue but the wound was so small it probably didn't need any. All other resurrections happened offscreen.

Wonder what she is thinking

I wonder if you could give someone liposuction in this setting by killing them, cutting off the fat and resurrecting them?

She had to sculpt the flesh of another creature to form a body and then jam a soul into it.

Normally they just jam the attached soul into the existing body and feed them a lot.

>I wonder what makes this forbidden?

They have become forbidden because they are ancient. I think this means a number of things:

- Ancient spells are really strong. The same way it's forbidden to carry an RPG with you, it's forbidden to learn ancient spells because of their effects.
- Ancient spells are crude. They pack a lot of power and can work miracles, but it's like saving a person by cutting the whole leg when they only stubbed their toe. So, expect side effects.
- Ancient spells upset the natural order. While reviving with a basic revival spell means you extended the life of someone whose soul was still clinging to an otherwise okay condition body, this ancient resurrection may be able to extend life indefinitely. Which leads to immortal sorcerer kings.
- Ancient spells are dangerous to the user. We don't know what Marcille had to give up to use the spell, but she did fall unconscious there.

That's awfully passive aggressive there, user. Dungeon Meshi has been a good enough manga that I'm quite generous when it comes to accepting swerves of this nature. We already know the magic in the dungeon is both ancient and unknown to the modern world, enough that the elves themselves are willing to start rocking the boat to get access to it. We also know it's elvish in origin too. Elfish?

Marcille has also already expressed an interest in Dungeon creating and is herself an elf. You could even draw this back to a question rarely asked of her character, which is that "if she's such a touchy, squeamish shit, why was she even dungeon diving to begin with?" We got an answer before in that she wants to make dungeons, but here we get a bit more in that she's interested in magic forbidden by modern society. We've also already gotten a bit of conflict between her and Senshi over the usage of Magic. A bit of a bubbling subplot before now has also been the differences in lines characters are willing to draw when it comes to what they're doing here.

No one else calls it evil, but she explicitly refers to it as forbidden on that page, which implicitly means there's something about it that modern society doesn't like and forbids doing.

Probably
>What the fuck is going on, I just coughed some blood and feel like shit, this armor is cold

>shit how do I convince them I'm not the dragon

It explains why she was so interested in the golems earlier too. That's forgotten magic.

This chapter strongly implies Marcille has studied human anatomy. I wonder if you just have to do that to use healing magics, or...

>dammit, brother, there's people watching

What? i learned something.
I feel betrayed, is this a school comic? ^^

That's because she's a motherfucking necromancer. You see how she knows all about the bones in the human body?

I'm going to have to go back and see if there's any foreshadowing for this motherfucking necromancy.

>die
>get brought back to life through dark magic
>immediately drown to death on your own blood

Can you even imagine, guys?

>bro's armour is cold
>oh gods I'm covered in blood
>wait I thought I was dead
>I'm starved
>how come I can tell what dragon poo tastes like

Don't forget the whole point of this dungeon is to make the dark elf in the living painting immortal. There's a long road of lore to go, but that dark elf created the dungeon to facilitate this kind of magic.

>bro.. ther...

>[Fullmetal Alchemists flashbacks intensifies]

Well at least they could take her to a revivalist guy full body now.

Plus it's not her own, it's dragon blood.

That magics not the only thing that's forbidden this chapter.

i thought these are the bones of someone else.
Like the knight or wizard responsible for this dungeon. As a shocking moment.
And Faryl is not dead, but in the dragons nest.

It's important to distinguish that it is necromancy, too. Marcille doesn't only have an academic/historic interest in these forbidden magics, she can actually cast (at least one of) these spells. I wonder what more detail we will get on the purpose of her ambitions.

I really like this revelation. Marcille has at times felt like the weakest member of the party - it seems like Farlyn pulled a lot of the heavy support casting, the party relied on its martials and Marcille was mainly tapped for utility. She struggled and has stamina issues - well maybe here's why. We knew healing wasn't her focus, but conventional magic isn't either. And having a ditzy, easily frazzled necromancer is an unusual type of character.

Well the dark elf = dragon theory doesn't seem to have paid off. It's not the dark elf who created the dungeon as far as we know, but the story of the man who did is probably linked to the royal family the dark elf wanted to protect. And the dark elf in those painting was definitely not like the other painting-people, and did have hints towards the dragon.

>but she explicitly refers to it as forbidden on that page
Misread the post; it's entirely possible that in the wake of the Golden Kingdom becoming a dungeon the magics associated with it became taboo. I don't think we have a timeline for when the Golden Kingdom was lost to history but people had to have known it existed at some point in time, going off the paintings and mayor chapters. If a very powerful and malicious force were to suddenly crop up from it, it follows that in order to avoid the same catastrophe from happening again people would make that kind of knowledge forbidden.

Fucking asspull to just suddenly throw in some shit about powerful forbidden magic. Or have I missed anything that may have suggested it?

thought she would eat more dragonmeat.
What was this speech with this much energy?
Thought she would s0pell the bones -> eat -> organs -> eat -> muscles -> skin -> eat - > souls -> full farlyn

kinda preparing food is kinda anatomie, so i will let it past as educational manga.

>but people had to have known it existed at some point in time, going off the paintings and mayor chapters
The dwarfs dug it up.

>they didn't give her a frog costume

>can create awesome dungeon permeated with powerful magic
>gets eaten by random dragon
That'd be bullshit.

>Or have I missed anything that may have suggested it?
There is some slight forshadowing. Marcille knows how golems work, despite her saying that they are outlawed.

>The dwarfs dug it up.
Yes but I'm talking about during the high period of the Golden Kingdom it must have been in contact with other nations. The dwarves found it by accident as far as we know. And both the dwarves and elves lived on the island for some time without knowing the dungeon was there.

>I am skeleton jelly.

>^^
Newfriend, we do not use stuff like that on Veeky Forums.

What if it isn't that the dark elf was the Dragon, but was a puppet of it's will? Or that the Dragon I'd the true form? Or hell, what if there is a worse draconian beast the elf has become?

She wanted to build a dungeon. Now we know a bit of the why, though that said I wonder if necromancer is the right term. As points out, it could be a matter of using more force than is needed, also tied to ritualistic patterns drawn in blood linking caster to sacrificial meat. Also, I would likely consider it blood magic before anything else, as it could have effects tied specifically to blood.

>reviving someone with the flesh of a dragon
That's pretty fucking metal.

Obviously it's HUMAN REMAINS.

HUMANS REMAINS SOLVE EVERYTHING SAYS NECROMANCER MARCILLE

thats why the bones are still intact.
I know it would be too ironic. But the creator of the dungeon dont have to be this powerfull. And it would be like that he cursed the dark elf into a dragon and it eat him as revenge.
I just thought at first it isnt Farlyn as a surprise. And it was just random guesses who.

I know, but sometimes i cant resist as an old fag.
Sorry

I'm pretty sure it's shit, what with the way the chapter ends. The chapter all but outright states it with out quickly Marcille reacts to Laius wondering if there's something in the Golems making the veggies tasty, Marcille's disgusted look, and it turning out Senshi "restocks" the Golems with the waste from the bathrooms.

Well, they would have noticed if the proportions were off pretty quickly during the skeleton assembly process.

You could still be right. Maybe Marcille's spell is so fucking strong it can resurrect the dead without their body (but with raw materials), yanking the soul back into place.

Or maybe she created the body using her own mental image of her, instead of using whatever normal resurrection magic uses and it only looks like her, but isn't her.

>Marcille has at times felt like the weakest member of the party
Wasn't the earlier excuse for this that they intended to speedrun their way down as much as possible, so Marcille wouldn't have time to replenish her mana if she used her spells freely.

It's like a D&D party saying "Alright, we aren't going to have time for a Long Rest on this one, so you're cantrips only until we get there."

Pretty much, you also have to consider that she had to replace Farlyn and cast spells that are not her expertise. Marcille proved herself competent the more the manga was going on, but the jokes about her getting attacked constantly by monsters and being useless from the first three chapters stuck.

i know, the staff implied it.

That would make it even spookier. Like someone evil resurrected as Farlyn?
Dont think so, but would give the story a spin.

half farlyn half dragon

Ah Necromancy
Truly the most noble of magic arts

Sure, but even her charged offensive spells didn't have much impact. This adds another string to her staff.

she can still be pure, as she said, magic is niether good nor evil

>She sure has a beautiful set of bones
Lauis' festishes are getting out of hand.

>The dwarfs dug it up.
I feel like dwarfs don't get nearly enough shit for all their unearthing of ancient evils and geological calamity they get up to.

"organic material" is probably all it needs. It's just that shit is very organic, like how the bat guano feeds the slimes that make the sylphs uber powerful in Farlyn's secret cave.

They'd have to pump her out before the blood congealed, lucille holding his naked imouto's corpse up by the legs while marcille and chilchack massage her stomach and chest to squeeze as much blood as possible out.

We're just going to have to wait and see the side effects of what she'd done. There are going to be side effects too. That sort of spookiness doesn't happen with clean burning magic.

>Blood magic
>Necromancy