In games like D&D, you get more skills by levelling up. The fastest way to level up is to kill things...

In games like D&D, you get more skills by levelling up. The fastest way to level up is to kill things. And since those skill points can go ANYWHERE, not just in skills that make you better at killing Orcs then why do you need, say, a Dwarven language teacher when all you really need is some Goblins and a broadsword? You somehow just pick it up between levels 1 and 2, right?

Like, give Little Jimmy a sword and a room full of tied-up Orcs. He's going to come out of that room with a PhD. Schools are just basements with chains and weapons. The better schools are determined by the size of the beast they can chain up to be murdered and the quality of the murder-tools they provide.

Why aren't your characters sending their children to Murderbasement Elementary, tg?

>The fastest way to level up is to kill things.
Oh, look. It's this thread again.

When was the last time anyone reached epic levels via backbreaking subsistence farming, user?

I mean, it's not entirely wrong - systems with an XP base to their level progression do tend to reward the more dramatic actions. It's more of an OSR thing to literally assign XP values to monsters and the more modern design aesthetic is to reward dramatic actions - defusing the bomb, solving the mystery etc - as well as flat sums just for being at the table and roleplaying based XP.

So rather than killing a monster to level up, your school could conceivably just generally imperil children in a dramatic fashion, and teach them theatricality so they can really ham up the OH MOTHER SAVE ME FROM THE DRAGON because that's how you learn physics faster in games.

>It's more of an OSR thing to literally assign XP values to monsters
Man, do you play OSR games? Assigning XP values to gold at a better ratio than monsters is one of the most defining mechanics lost as D&D has gone through editions. There is not much incentive in going out looking for fights to level up in OSR - you will most likely die.

Only PCs use the XP system

>In a game that provides bonus XP for roleplaying, in-universe the advantageous strategy is to be a large ham.

I LOVE this idea.

This is why bards have that reputation of fucking everything; hamming it up is an evolutionary benefit.

Meh. Fundamental misunderstanding of the divide between the world our characters inhabit, which is vast and detailed and sensible, and the abstract math and random number generators we use to loosely model decision and outcome trees for it. XP is based on group combat success for the table's convenience, not the character's, because listening to someone narrate reading a book on basic Dwarvish is one of the circles of hell.

>In games like D&D, you get more skills by levelling up

What edition are you playing?

Hell in the first place why are you applying literal strategies to an abstraction?

This makes an insane amount of sense.

This is just like one of my Japanese Animes.

So, PC's are, what, a sub-species in the world that operates on fundamentally different principles of development and growth? Mutations?

I'll only spend xp on things that make sense, when possible.

Even if it's not a rule at the table, I just never liked the idea of kill 20 X means I got better at interior design

Why aren't your characters sending their children to Murderbasement Elementary, tg?
Because what you have written is so utterly stupid it boggles the mind. Every edition of D&D has a clause that says that overcoming a challenge is what grants XP. Challenges are not just killing things, but also resolving a situation through roleplay, solving puzzles, finishing quests, and so on.

For instance in PF: "Characters advance in level by defeating monsters, overcoming challenges, and completing adventures—in so doing, they earn experience points (XP for short)."
"Keep a list of the CRs of all the monsters, traps, obstacles, and roleplaying encounters the PCs overcome."

Schools would literally just be the same as they are in our world because children are 0 level characters who don't gain their first level until they overcome the challenge of graduating from school. This grants them enough XP to become 1st level in whatever class they have been training in.

>overcoming challenges

"Children, you have an Orc murder quota to meet for each day."

There, now it's a challenge and worth XP.

You're retarded. Stop playing 3.pf, it's only making things worse.

>Expect Murderbasements
>Get Murderlabyrinthbasements

Here's the problem though: your own quote can be used against you.

"Challenges are not just killing things"

"Not just" in that sentence shows that "killing things" IS part of "challenges" and therefore DOES net XP and that therefore the Murderbasement model of education does hold true in Pathfinder.

Or more sensible and not the stupid shit you're trying to push: "Children, you must write an essay about the Holds of Belkzen and the orc cultures that live there. It must be at least 10 pages and is due in three days."

This would be an skill check or even skill challenge involving knowledge checks, along with a craft check.

Because combat circumstances adjust CR. A securely bound foe does not have a challenge rating because he poses no challenge.

3.pf is the only D&D that uses PC stats for NPCs. Everything else has a different stay block.

In basically any game that's not D&D or based on it, you never get XP for killing, and instead receive it for accomplishing sognificant goals either at the campaign level or individual one. Furthermore, most systems don't have a 0-100 instantaneous level progression, but instead allow players to directly spend XP on whatever they want.

"when i play a notoriously oversimplified, stupid roleplaying system and interpret the rules in the stupidest possible way, something stupid happens!"

congrats, OP! you've achieved something just as stupid as the stupid thing you set out to achieve. the lives of all roleplayers everywhere in the world are now better because of the lesson you've taught us. you can sleep soundly tonight knowing you're a supergenius.