Am I the only GM who has come to relish the moment that overconfident players poke the sleeping dragon...

Am I the only GM who has come to relish the moment that overconfident players poke the sleeping dragon? You have a enemy, one that the players have knowledge both in and out of character is out of their league, and they antagonize then. I have come to enjoy these moments, the moment where the players realize that being a PC doesn't save them from stupid decisions and their actions have consequences. It is even better when you don't kill them, capture them instead or something similar, and have them wallow in their defeat.

Maybe? My goal is to have fun with my friends and that can be a really awesome funny moment.

Yes. I am a sadist.

Kill yourself.

Playing CoC I told my players there was a Daoloth nearby. They knew what it was.

They also had magic, they thought they could kill it.

>I kick down the door *rolls*
>The door shatters, and light pours into the dark room. There is nothing visable. Beyond the doorway
>The party slowly walks into the room and light a flare.
>As the flare bursts into light, staining the room with a red tint, you see movement in the corner.
>Queue rolls to not look. Massive failures
>As if by some unknown force you cannot help but look into the corner, or what used to be a corner, or a hallway. You can't quite tell what you are looking at, it won't stop moving and it's coming closer.
Picks up speaking speed, talks louder
>It's getting closer getting bigger, you need to run but you can't stop staring why can't you look away it's going to kill you BUT YOU CANT STOP STARING.....

>a few days later, neighbors report smelling rotting meat.
>Your bodies are found..eyes staring, still trying to comprehend it.

It was their second session.

What if they win due to clever thinking and creative strategy against all odds? Or do you even let them get that far in favor of "teaching them a lesson"?

There is a right and wrong answer to this. Please choose wisely.

I give my players the consequences that make sense in-universe, but no, I don't enjoy making them have less fun because I want to "have them wallow in their defeat."

You fucking tool.

I know what you mean, because it is kind of fun when the players do something stupid and it gets them into unexpected trouble. I used to really like that shit, but I don't care for it as much any more. As I've gotten better at GMing, I really care more about telling a story, creating a world, and helping the player characters grow and change. Poking the dragon moments frequently kill PCs, which works against building a strong narrative.

ITT the new generation of entitled players bitch and moan.

Roleplaying is dead.

>not killing off half of the party immediately at random and challenging the rest to find a solution

>play OSR
>absolutely think games should be hard and never pull punches when it comes to consequences, including character death
>posted because I want to challenge my players and if they piss off a dragon they are likely to die, but I don't eagerly hope it happens so I can get off on them being miserable, because I am not a piece of shit

ITT Grumpy old grognards try to cling to things that were never good or fun in the first place.

Your generation of roleplaying is dead grandpa, and it died because it was shit.

I actively get off to player misery.

My party decided to attack a group of skeletons.

The skeletons had a few wizards behind them

Players fled but couldn't outrun them.

Wizard cast grease as they ran down a hill.

>I decided to be nice, "you slide away down the hill, outrunning the skeletons"

>5 minutes later a mass of bones and rusty metal slid down the hill and broke apart against a tree.

Not OP, but I've noticed the sorts of players who attack things way out of their weight class don't exactly have the amount of tactical acumen to actually pull their way out of these problems.

If they do, kudos to them, but at least in my experience, it's done primarily as a form of DM chicken, to see if he'll *really* kill their characters for something like that. Hell, my own worst example wasn't even something they could fight, it was

>Hey, let's put a way too powerful power source in the magical teleporter!
>Uhm, that has an enormous chance of mishap!
>Let's do it anyway!
>Explosion!

OSR is alive and well and growing, dude. That person is an asshole, but old school roleplaying is fun as fuck.

That's mainly because the majority of OSR games cut out all of the old bullshit and stick in modern innovations.

I'm not saying it's not fun, but if you think it's a faithful simulation of anything people played back in the day, you're just dumb.

From some old grognard's blog
>the Old School Renaissance is not about playing a particular set of rules in a particular way, the dungeon crawl. It is about going back to the roots of our hobby and seeing what we could do differently. What avenues were not explored because of the commercial and personal interests of the game designers of the time.

Swords and Wizardry, one of the most popular OSR systems is literally OD&D with the supplements, organized better.

/v/ plz leave

>"I don't want unlucky people in my party"

That quads were wasted on such crap. Brings a tear to the eye.

>IM THE ALPHA
>Dude it's debatable if our packs even work that way
>IM THE ALPHA
>Dude I think you got rabies, let's go to the park ranger
>IM THE ALPHAAAAAAAAAAAAA