Is it accurate to call psionics a type of magic in a fantasy setting?

Is it accurate to call psionics a type of magic in a fantasy setting?

Other urls found in this thread:

d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicPowersOverview.htm#metacreativity
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It's certainly not fucking science.

Psionics is magic with pretensions of science.

It's pseudoscience.

Sure, why not?

I'm not a white american teenager, but, this sort of shit makes me want to shoot up schools.

Someone else post the funny memes about depends on the setting while I debate whether to shoot myself or or dozens of innocent children.

It's brain magic. There's nothing sciencey about it, just that instead of "the weave" the source of power is "the mind."

In a sci-fi setting, psionics might have been sufficiently studied to make them a science. Though most sci-fi settings don't get there (at least, the humans don't get there).

In a magitech setting, magic could be sufficiently understood to treat it as a science. But if magic and psionics are different, you could get the odd situation where magic is treated as a science but psionics aren't.

But in a typical fantasy setting, it's not science.

Absolutely.

You might get into a semantics huff with how it interacts with *other* types of magic,
but knows what he's about.

If it's not defined as magic in the setting, then it's not magic.

Yes, it's a brain juice magic

>thin skinned idiot
>gets triggered by dots and other reasonable comments
>threats to kill innocent people and commit suicide as a response to his wave of frustration
It makes too much sense

Any kind of psychics work a lot better when it's treated as magic.

If you think of Star Wars as wizards in space, it makes way more sense than midichlorians

Depends on the setting.

You think he's a /v/ermin? I personally like to think such people are /v/ermin so I can have a pure outlook on Veeky Forums.

No. It's specifically a state where the brain was damaged or strained enough to gain psychic powers and is even tied to ''tears in the fabric of reality'' in places where magic is slowly ceasing to exist.

Yes, psionics are basically magic with a different name slapped on it by shitty writers to try and make it different from magic but it is exactly the same thing.

Yes, it works very similar to magic. Some person does something and it produces results that a regular person wouldn't achieve.

Don't forget "different class mechanics" to make sure that players notice the difference!

Yes, of course.
>Laws of nature that we don't fully understand, but practice has shown that they work == magic

Yes and no.

Yes, it can be seen as a form of magic,in that the one performing it knows more than the ones observing it.

In DnD, no. A door held by psionic means doesn't ping as being held by magic if detect magic is used. Likewise, a door held by magical means won't ping as being held by psionics if detect psionics is used.

Next you'll be asking if chi manipulation is considered magic or something

>A door held by psionic means doesn't ping as being held by magic if detect magic is used.

Psionics-magic transparency.

See: It depends on the DM, but many of them simply opt for Psionics and Magic to be different ways of harnessing the same fundamental forces, just like Arcane and Divine Magic being slightly different methods of manipulating magic.

Considering there's a dozen fantasy books where they're treated as entirely different types of power, sure.

Veeky Forums doesn't like psionics and magic in the same area because they're autistic retards who can't imagine anything outside of their personal headcanon.

>Psionics is magic with pretensions of science.

This is not something I've ever understood. How? And in what way? Yes, parapsychology was once an actual field of scientific study. Yes, the United States, Germany and the Soviet Union have all had their assorted experiments and studies in awakening psychic abilities in people, but I still don't understand how psionics as presented in most tabletop RPGs has any association with scientific inquiry or scientific communities beyond what X-Men has. Psionics is a comic book superpower.

No, in this case not at all. Psionics is straight up magic but it comes from your brain.
It should never be considered anything else.

It's accurate to call it a type of magic outside of fantasy settings as well.

like a lot of terms relating to myth and folklore, magic is a vague grab-bag of ideas and themes, it doesn't refer to anything concrete unless it's defined in a setting or system of belief.

so it's not accurate or inaccurate unless it's defined in a setting. some settings will call it magic, based on whatever they think magic is, and others won't.

Within the context of discussing a setting, it depends.

I'd say it's Supernatural, but not magical. Like monks and certain monsters.

>people talking about using their brains makes negros go ballistic
I'm not a king or shit, but this doesn't surprise me.

The way it's been explained to me was basically this:

Decades ago a lot of scifi short stories were published in a magazine in USA. Some bigwig in the magazine believed in telepathy/psionics/etc. and thought that any day now science would prove those to be real. Therefore he insisted that if the writers want their stories published in HIS magazine then they better have psychics in their hard-scifi stories.

Psionics is driven by pure personal willpower, while magic typically invokes and channels power from outside the caster. With magic willpower is often understood to provide a focus or a catalyst, but it is not the driving force.

In a fantasy setting, psionics would be considered a crude form of magic, because magic would be the closest reference point people would have for understanding it. Just as in a scifi setting some form of pseudo-science would be used to explain psionics.

You answered you own question. It used to be relatively popular field of study and had potential to become part of our life.

I think it's important to note that different psionic abilities like telekinesis, pyrokinesis, telepathy, etc, were researched as separate phenomena. Access to one ability doesn't grant you access to the whole repertoir, that's when psionic abilities become brain magic for brain wizards.

Say that to my face.

Or is it pseudomagic?

Yes, and we're all collectively trying to figure out how The Setting™ works. Get with the program, user.

Ki is considered magic at least in d&d.

>generates from the power of its mind alone—no other outside magical force or ritual is needed

d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicPowersOverview.htm#metacreativity
>A metacreativity power draws raw ectoplasm from the Astral Plane

1/6th of all psionic powers draw on outside forces.

You're not wrong, but that's like saying that levitate-throwing a rock relies on outside forces.
They tear the a hole into the Astral Plane then shape the ectoplasm with purely internal sources.

Either way, "psychic" and "magic" are both contextual synonyms of "supernatural".