Instead of Grimdark, the Lovecraftian Mythos is now noblebright

>Instead of Grimdark, the Lovecraftian Mythos is now noblebright.
What now, Veeky Forums?
Also, requesting that picture of a guy and his Deep One girlfriend.

Other urls found in this thread:

hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/fiction/tgsk.aspx
hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/fiction/cb.aspx
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/28704031/
youtu.be/Xkrr0guu9cA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It changes so much as to not functionally be the Mythos anymore and therefor there's not really much to talk about?

Kekkai Sensen (Blood Blockade Battlefront)

kinda what you're looking for

An apathetic universe filled with entities so far above us that they are incomprehensible... But noblebright.

Easiest way would be to introduce the closest thing to a "good guy" old one. To stay consistent with the theme, though, they wouldn't be so much be "good" but "on our side" the same way a kid that owns an ant farm is on the ants' side. For one reason or another, we gained the interest of a fairly benevolent entity, a less assholish Nyarlathotep essentially, rooting for us against the more destructive beings.

At the end of the day, we're still insignificant specks in the infinite cosmos, and there are still risks when dealing with our patron, but at least we've got something going for us.

You have no idea whether Lovecraftian entities are noblebright or grimdark. That's the central conceit of Lovecraftian entities - unknowable, ageless, timeless, cosmically powerful and mysterious.

For all we know Cthulhu could be the actual fucking Jesus Christ. The point of Lovecraft's fiction wasn't to paint humanity as evil or victims of some universal prank. Noblebright and grimdark don't really apply.

Lovecraft portrayed human beings as singularly meaningless, about as interesting as undersea polyps in the scale of the universe. Lovecraft directly challenged the "Human Century" image popular in his time by making people so utterly ignorant and incapable in the scale of his mythos that they were no better than animals.

tl;dr

git gud at the reading

Heroic Fantasy is now Cyberpunk

/thread

Noblebright only works with Lovecraft's style if you don't mind shitting on his grave in maine.

didn't japan already do this?
also, shota in yellow best girl

>implying authorial intentions matter

Hastur is objectively the best old one, but Cthugha is best girl by far.

Good job, OP, it's not Lovecraft anymore and it isn't cosmic horror, what were you trying to accomplish?

You've essentially just made worse Derleth, which I didn't think could be done.

This, more or less. I mean, I'm sure the general idea was that the universe was at best uncaring with a slight undercurrent of general malignancy in that it's not out to get you, but it aint good for you.

Why wouldn't it

So, basically just remove everything except Nodens?

This.

/thread

Y'golnac is now the Old One of Heterosexual Sex in the Missionary Position for the Purposes of Procreation.

>The King in Yellow cosplaying as Bridget

cuz a DM can do whatever the fuck he wants with his story

So Hinduism?

>requesting that picture of a guy and his Deep One girlfriend.
You mean this one, from that thread the other day?

The dream-quest of kadath had some hopeful bits in it.

And you might as well abandon all pretense of being "Lovecraftian" if you're just going to have space tentacles with no real horror themes. At that point I'm not even sure why you'd aspire to that, aside from trotting out his name for a few extra views.

Haven't seen this animu, who is who in this pic?

Welcome to the faith, my son.

Unknowable, all powerful and all knowing entity that exists outside of our dimensions?

Yep. That Yahweh. There are still terrible and terrifying being below him in a hierarchy that are still so ineffable that we might mistake them for godly beings as we the ability to describe them wholly much less compare them to the one true god above.

Remember, the first thing they say is "Be not afraid" when they appear, because they know their presence is overwhelming to us.

The voice and soul, the gate and the key?

The Metatron mother fucker.

A significant portion of people believe this noblebright mythos us already the truth of the universe we live on.

Lovecraft pretty much just subverted the general acceptance of the time that God existed and loved us, by saying "What if God's existed, but we only think they care because of vanity. Since cannot know God or his servants, the belief that they care about us in a way we can understand is more of a fevered hope than an objective statement.

And he took it from there.

>Instead of Grimdark, the Lovecraftian Mythos is now noblebright.
You might want to read Clarke's "Childhood's End".
I have no idea if the recent miniseries conveys the story very well.

>girlfriend

Fastest way to ruin your setting, bar none. Then again, you're probably intending to play this in a modified d20 system, which means dealing with the conflict of interests between appeasing old grognards (still playing AD&D and never leaving, so why bother?) and attracting new players. Except to attract new players, they strip down the old lore because reading books (like the system rulebook, aren't rules-light systems great?) is overrated. Then they add new monsters, which is basically fanwank, while forgetting that Cthulhu is actually a chump but hey, gotta give the big man plenty of attention because he's all the new players they're after know.

So your setting is ruined before you got there. No wonder you want to add a girlfriend.

The universe is indifferent to us, but more in the way that it is in real life. We aren't fucked cosmically and we aren't stuck where we are. We're well and publicly aware of all the crazy supernatural shit, we just don't know much about it... yet. There's no Great Cthulhu coming to fuck our shit up, and we have countermeasures in place for shoggoths and all that other bullshit that wants to kill us. The gods are incomprehensible to our mortal minds, but we can use computers and science to figure them out anyway. We aren't much yet, but we're slowly moving upwards in the universal hierarchy.

Nothing, we wouldn't be able to tell The difference because it'd still be The chtuluh mythos.

Except not. Because we Know God is Love because He died for Us. Doesn't apply for shit, learn to read.

you could make the Outer Gods more like Bloodborn's Old Ones that is sympathetic in nature

comes to thing of it, bloodborne old ones where really nice for something so lovecraftian
nice even

>What now, Veeky Forums?
It is now the Derelth Mythos

Well, it's certainly not "noblebright," but there are stories where:

>a dude beats Nyarlathotep and the latter admits defeat
>a dude befriends an Old One
>a dude gets turned into a Shoggoth on a distant planet and is basically like FUCK YEAH and takes over the planet sword-and-sorcery style

Was this the picture you were looking for? She's definitely giving him that "Innsmouth Look."

Anyway, I do like the idea of taking Lovecraft's works and flipping them around to create a "Bizarro Mythos" setting where Arkham, Massachusetts is a bustling, beautiful city, Miskatonic University is burning beacon of learning and discovery and Innsmouth is that quaint, fun little shore town that all the college students flock to in the summer.

Wait, is that the King in Yellow getting punched out? Who the fuck punched out Hector?

>a dude befriends an Old One
>a dude gets turned into a Shoggoth on a distant planet and is basically like FUCK YEAH and takes over the planet sword-and-sorcery style

witch ones are those?

that is one of the reasons for even though I don't like Lovecraft that much I really like Bloodborn and its old ones
I fell that that lovecreftian works are often confuse alien with cruelty but the Old Ones are both nice and unknowable giving it a good change of the beaten peat

that would be the Crawling Chaos

>setting with god-like beings on a completely different level than humanity
>just want to help out

So basically the Culture?

Here's the first one:
hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/fiction/tgsk.aspx

The latter is here:
hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/fiction/cb.aspx

It was written Round Robin style by Lovecraft and some of his friends, but Lovecraft found the turn it took to be hilarious and referenced some things from it in other stories such that it makes sense to consider it "canon."

end to and end what is more interesting, fight and loose againts a stange alien?
or try to talk and comunicate with one?

both are good, but the latter is rare to see and even rarer to do well

We had a on this once
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/28704031/

it was a good thread

no one said anything about helping out

Lovecraft's gods and other entities are so powerful that they have no interest whatsoever in humans. That doesn't make the setting automatically grimdark; that's just how Lovecraft wrote it.

>be the dad
>look over at the teddy bear as it stares into my soul
>suddenly start sobbing uncontrollably
>the bear just looks at me, sympathy in his eyes
>"I'm sorry, I just... My dad was never there, so it's... sometimes it's hard for me. I'm so scared of screwing up that sometimes I just... shut down.
>Teddy's mouth unhinges and his neck extends unnaturally as he leans in, his arms and sides stretching outward in a way that flickers a bit around the edges, as if expanding himself this much means bits and pieces extent outside of our reality
>He pulls me into his clutches, his wide open jaw approaching my throat
>"There, there," he says, hugging me tight. "It's alright now. You need to spend more time with your daughter, but I'll always be there if you need a friend."
Ertsunogoc is the best.

youtu.be/Xkrr0guu9cA

>The Culture
>Helping

dont have that, but I do got a loving sisfu

I'd still hit it.

the mythos is already noblebright though.

you mean including the stuff HP didn't write, right?

>Bloodborne Great Ones
>good in any way

Did you play that game? Nothing they're involved in turns out well. Nothing.

The Mensis Brain gives you automatic frenzy by just looking at you, meaning it's shoving incomprehensible into your brain, mind raping you.

By the end of the game, the entire city is lost to beasts, a result of using the old blood and being infected by Vermin, inherent in the blood which is alien in nature. The Moon Presence being beckoned down is actually making the problem even worse, that's why this night of the hunt is an apocalypse and not just a few turned citizens.

The everything in the Nightmare is actively hostile towards you, from the crawlers to Silverbeasts to Amygdala.

Every single experiment by Byrgenwerth and the upper echelons of the Healing Church is nightmarish and vile, from Fake Iosefka forcibly turning survivors into Celestial Emissaries to the Orphanage full of Celestial Children more than likely forcibly birthed from human women to re-create Ebrietas. The Mensis Ritual involved kidnapping people to use as a mass sacrifice in Yahar'gul.

Point is, the Great Ones as sympathetic just means they didn't stomp on us when we wandered in. We could give them a child in Mergo, and they obliged by letting us repeat the same mistakes as the Pthumerians and Loran people. They don't care. They're like the Colour out of Space, they're not actively malicious, but they aren't good for the places around them.

no, not including your fanfiction, xXx_SePhIrOtH_XxX{420}.

i dont remember it well but wasnt the fishing village from the DLC well off and grateful at kos or some say kosm,
then the the church rolls in and shit hits the fan?

I was referring to works by authors such as August Derleth

Was just about to say this.

To add to it, the entire School of Mensis had their brains stillbirthed when they made contact with Mergo, with only Micolash "surviving", even though Mergo was just a baby who couldn't have consciously done that to them.

Some may be nice, as the Brain of Mensis gives you a Rune if you Make Contact towards it, but that doesn't stop it from killing you when you look at it.

The people of the Fishing Hamlet had come to revere Kos, but the fact is still that her mere presence turned them into fish things.

And it wasn't the Church who raided it. It was Byrgenwerth, most likely before the Healing Church even came into existence.

The Fishing Hamlet is pretty fucked up. They were farming the Kos Parasites and we don't know why. Maybe for food, maybe for breeding, we don't know. But it's a farm down there. Notice how the snail girls try climbing down your throat when they grab you. Chances are they're women turned by parasites.

Then Byrgenwerth came along and decided to crack everyone's heads open to look for eyes on the inside and the Orphan of Kos cursed the Hunters as a tradition to go blood-drunk and end up in the Hunter's Nightmare. So, real sympathetic. As Simon says when you find him in the Lighthouse Hut, it's a sins of the father deal, fuckers like Gehrman were responsible for it before the Healing Church even existed, yet even our Hunter might have been fated to end up there had we not offed the Orphan.

And the Brain of Mensis was a failure, essentially a deformed, disabled Great One that mind rapes everything around it to death, even the Silverbeasts in the beginning area succumb to frenzy. Is it just trying to call out or is it angry or insane? You can make contact and it says something back, giving you the rune, but what does that even mean?

looks like someone didn't play the game
The Moon rune specifically says that they are sympathetic in nature
all the problems that you bring about are in fact result of them trying to help or humans being jerks
the Moon Presence looks down was because Laurence and Gehrman asked for a way to end the problem, so the hunter's dream was created and the city was on lockdown until they managed to fix their problems

the brain inducing madness is just because of its nature, not a deliberate action with ill intent as proven by the fact that it gives you a rune when you make contact with it

the Healing Church and Byrgenwerth are not under the direct orders of an old one, what they are doing is experiments both to communicate and approach the old ones, hell the Celestial Emissaries are indented for communication with the old ones so it is just humans that are responsible for that

and most Nightmare Realms have a host that is hostile to you and the Realm do reflect to certain point the host

You don’t know very well what sympathetic means; after all, Kos did grant the fishing village the revenge on the scholars and their descendents, which is a lot more than not stomping on people, especially when Kos didn’t receive anything visible in return

The old ones were just trying to help but as they are too alien their help mostly just make the situation worst and that serves to emphasize just how different they are

That's what we're saying, the Great Ones might be sympathetic, but their very nature is hostile to human existence. Congratulations on reading comprehension.

Also, the Moon Presence was most likely responsible for everything that happened. When the Red Moon hangs low, a symbol of the MP as seen in the Dream, the Beast Scourge goes into overdrive, meaning that the MP was the most likely origin of the Scourge, not to mention the symbolism present in the boss fight itself. It created the Hunter system to get what it wants, how is killing a baby stuck in the Nightmare going to help Yharnam? It even trapped Gehrman in the dream, because he was the host and it didn't want to lose control. MP is definitely malicious, even though the other Great Ones may not necessarily be.

>the Great Ones might be sympathetic, but their very nature is hostile to human existence.

Hostile is perhaps too strong a word, as it implies some maliciousness. But yes, the Great Ones nature makes them harmful to humans, even if they may not intend to harm them.

The Moon Presence has very little info on it, and like many lore elements in the Souls series, its very easy to come up with conflicting theories and interpretations based on the same thin tidbits of information. The Great Ones being sympathetic is pretty much canon due to the runes, but The Moon Presence is probably best left up to individual headcanon.

>They were farming the Kos Parasites and we don't know why
> Chances are they're women turned by parasites.
that some pretty big assumptions you made there and I have to say that they are wrong
as you can see in Cainhust different places make different beasts
the were-wolf like beast are only of Yharnam, the Fishing Hamlet have fish and other sea related creatures like beast

the Byrgenwerth came there seeking the 'eyes on the inside' with we know its a term for insight. They fiscally extracted insight out of the fishing men as the village was close to the carcass of Kos and it was Kos not the Orphan that cursed the scholar and later the Hunters responding to the prayers of the Village

seems like the one with reading problems is you, the Old Ones themselves are not hostile as hostility implies a degree of ill intent which there was not
and as further prove that you didn't play the game comes the fact that you don't even know that the Moon Presence was summoned by Laurence and Gehrman only appearing when the beast were already at lose

>The old ones were just trying to help but as they are too alien their help mostly just make the situation worst and that serves to emphasize just how different they are

That's what I said. Also you conveniently forget the fact that they happily let us recreate the same mistakes that ended the Pthumerian and Loran civilizations. If they wanted to help, they'd stop us because this has happened twice before now. They don't actually care.

The Orphan/Kos cursed an entire tradition of people for something one organization was responaible and cursed people who never knew about that event to damnation. Sympathetic would be fucking up Byrgenwerth. It's outright malicious and bitter to doom people decades, even centuries, after the initial event has long since faded from memory.

The Nightmare is one place, and it doesn't have 'hosts'. It isn't a literal nightmare. You can see Mensis from the Nightmare Frontier and you can see the Hamlet's boats, too. Nightmare Slain refers to an entity of significance within a particular area.

Also, please, you're playing a cosmic horror game from the point of view of humans, do you seriously think every bit of information you get about 'sympathetic nature' is in any way the full story? If so, you don't know what cosmic horror is, or know anything about the Lovecraftian fiction the game takes heavy influence from. Lovecraft's monsters weren't necessarily always hostile in any way, but they were often not beneficial for the people who found out about them, be it evil wizards or Arkham scholars who became monsters or went mad.

Point is Bloodborne's Great Ones are not good for the space or things around them. It's not about good or evil, because that's no cosmic horror, it's about the fact they're very existence is incompatible with human existence because we physically and mentally cannot handle them.

>the Healing Church and Byrgenwerth are not under the direct orders of an old one

Neither post you quoted said that.

MP was beckoned by Laurence and Gehrman, but there was no way they could have known anything about it. There's nothing to suggest that they were even searching for the MP in particular, they were just looking for help.

And how would beasts be in the Fishing Hamlet? They're created by use of blood, and the Hamlet had none of that. The Healing Church didn't even exist yet.

I admit "hostile" is incorrect. "Harmful" is better, but the point still stands.

>. If they wanted to help, they'd stop us because this has happened twice before now
You seems to think that they can communicate easily with us
that is wrong, it is so difficult that things like the Celestial Emissaries are need as massagers and translator

>The Nightmare is one place, and it doesn't have 'hosts'
you really have no idea of you are talking do you
Nicolay is the host of the nightmare of Mensis it is even in his tile
like wise Gehrman is the host of the Hunters dream, that is the reason he can not leave

>Neither post you quoted said that.
expect the fact that it blamed the old ones for that instead of the humans that did the deeds

and yes the Old Ones are harmful no one is denying that but we heard and seem in the runes that are the words of the Old Ones that their are sympathetic and se humans as subterfuge children. Again this does not come from a human but from then in the runes

the corpses of Kos was literally 5 min away of the Fishing Hamlet and it probably got all the blood one could need
no one is denying that they are harmful my point is that they are harmful despite being are more or less well intended
after all the road to hell is paved with good intentions

So let's say that Insight has absolutely no effect whatsoever, because that's what you think, and assume that Kos's blood turned the Fishing Hamlet.

That is still the result of something coming from a Great One. That still shows that the existence of the Great Ones is harmful to humanity.

The Hunter's Dream is a construct created by the Moon Presence for the purposes of the Hunter system. But all other Nightmare locations can be observed from other locations in the Nightmare, showing that they are all connected.

Furthermore, the Great Ones LIVE in the Nightmare. Are you going to say that the Great Ones only exist because there's something somewhere acting as the host for an entire realm of godlike beings?

never said the Insight has no effect, you are assuming again and are wrong again
second you obviously didn’t read my post I specifically say here >and yes the Old Ones are harmful no one is denying that
the Hunter Dream is a dream real like the night mares as you can se other realm really far so yes the are all connected but the Hunter Dream is one of them

and yes the Old Ones live on the Nightmare but they open those realms to the influence of a host most likely to have their realms 'easy' link to the waking world
here Nicolas title that you are unable to explain

Chelgrian pls go

You said: "that some pretty big assumptions you made there and I have to say that they are wrong
as you can see in Cainhust different places make different beasts
the were-wolf like beast are only of Yharnam, the Fishing Hamlet have fish and other sea related creatures like beast"

Beasts are made by blood, not by Insight. Therefore, your statement implies that the presence of Kos had no effect on the villagers, and instead it was the villagers somehow taking Kos's blood and then using it for some reason that turned them.

Micolash was the host of the nightmare for Mensis. We saw that we entered the Nightmare through Micolash, as his mind has become a direct link to the Nightmare, allowing others to access it, as we saw with the Choir Intelligencer and the many other bodies found within. Otherwise, one must be transported to the Nightmare by an Amygdala.

You seem to have come to the same conclusion, but this contradicts the implication you made that the "hosts" of the Nightmare are responsible for the existence of the Nightmare. Try to be more clear and precise in the future, because half this argument has been us misunderstanding each other's points.

from thinking that the beast like fishmen are beast and saying that insight does noting there is a big difference dude
one of my points is the even when you get to a nightmare by an Amygdala that realm still was made closer to the waking world by a connection to a human mind and it is because of that that different items are needed to get to different nightmare.
and if I’m allow to be a bit petty you were also not that clear with the 'Hostile' vs ‘Harmful’ deal
that being said I believe that now we enter on things that are more open to interpretation even my believe of what being a host of the nightmare that is a bit different from your is really open so I don’t think we gain much from continuing.

Have a good day user