Gurps

Joining a gurps game. Dag this is the most complicated character creation I'v ever seen.
Can Veeky Forums help me
>>I want to be a spider (normal sized one)
>>I want to use all the psi powers i can
>>Super manipulative, callous professor >>PHD's in Human physiology, psychology, athropology

BP
>>TL = 9
>>Max 5 dissadvantages

I did not mean to make the 300 be crossed out that is the correct bp

All the gurpsfags got abducted the other week. Pretty much on your own from here on out.

Gurps GM here, I recommend Gurpscharactersheet.com
I dont know shit about psi, but by spider do you mean human sized or about an inch in size? If an inch, change you size mod (SM) to -11. This means people have a -11 to hit you.
Callous is a -5 disadvantage, Bully for -10/-15, I cant think of any other disads from what you told me.
Look into enthrallment skills if your GM will allow it, and take Tenure, and a talent for all of your PhD skills. Good luck.

GURPS has complex character gen because it tries to front-load as much of the work as possible with the idea that the more work you do now, the less you'll have to do during the game.

Skim through the Psionic Powers book. You don't have to study it or understand everything in it. Just make a wish list of the powers you think are especially cool and fit your character. Don't worry if that list costs more than 300 points for all the items, you'll pare it down later.

Do the same for Advantages, Disadvantages, and Skills.

Now you have your short lists that aren't so overwhelming. Start cutting out things that you can do without or that you're willing to sacrifice to be able to afford the ones you can't do without. Make sure what remains fits in the 300 point budget.

If you're spider you're ST is going to be 0, DX is normal at least, IQ is 1 or 2, HT is debatable: see what your GM thinks it should be. Lowered stats count toward the disadvantage limit so you won't be able to use all those points most likely.

Being a spider is a pretty weird choice. Just saying. But, you're going to want to adjust your Size Modifier (SM) to -11 or so.

As for Psi powers: there's a GURPS book called "Psionic Powers" (the 4the edition one, with the black and white cover) that covers that. You'll also need the GURPS Powers book to get a really decent understanding of how it all works. You can get pdfs of those from the GURPS General thread - check the archive, and click on the pdf thread starter image ;)

ST 0 doesn't work. Then he can't move at all. ST 1 is the minimum ST for anything able to move. He'd just have to make an adjusted Spider Racial Template without the super-low intelligence, since he wants to be smarter. Does Racial Templates really count towards Disadvantage limits? It would be really weird for him to miss out on so many points because he's a crappy Spider. I get that it's basically breaking the Disadvantage limit on its head, but there must be something else he can do to adjust the values so he doesn't lose a ton of points just because he wants to be a Spider.

>Spider
SM (-11).
ST 1. [-90]
DX 10. [0]
HT 10. [0]
IQ 2. [-160]

Just with those stats it is a [-250] template. Sure, you have some Extra Legs, wall-climbing and possibly a poisonous bite, but he'll still lose out at the least 100+ points. I'd at the least start out with an adjusted template for a race of intelligent Spiders.

>Intelligent Spider
SM (-11)
ST 1. [-90]
DX 10. [0]
HT 10. [0].
IQ 10. [0]

Now it is just a [-90] template without the bonus features of being a Spider. He would've bought up IQ anyways so it feels like a miss to force let those points be wasted just because he is a Spider.

>you're spider *your

>count toward the disadvantage limit
Unless your GM builds you a Spider racial template or lets you build one.

He's going to need a spider racial template. That means getting together with his GM to make one unless he can find one. Normal spiders would have taboo trait (Can't increase IQ) but that's the sort of thing that can be fixed by being a mega spider, so I don't expect this psi-der would have that disadvantage.

There's a chapter on psi powers in the core book. it will cover the basics, but to keep it simple Psi powers are advantages you take (like telekensis, healing, read thoughts) with a -10% discount because they are Psionic.. but you need the Talent for the psi powers you take (Telekensis, Telepathy, Psionic Healing, ect).

>ST 0 doesn't work. Then he can't move at all
Not true. A character can always move under its own power. Even at ST 0 (think of it as ST 1/10 or 1/100 rounded down). Any encumbrance, even a gum wrapper to use Kromm's example, weighs him down so much he can't move.

Interesting. Is it if you have ST 0 and DX 0 that you can't move at all?

Only Move 0 means you cannot move. DX 10 means that even everyday acts of dexterity (those with a +10 TDM, like grappling a doorknob) are 50/50 for you and require a roll.

ST 0 would mean you could have no physical influence on the world around you, however. (You couden't flip a switch, push over a house of cards or lift a nacho to your mouth).

You would also have to buy at least 1 HP.

HP 1's going to be "interesting". Any attack that lands will kill you.

>DX 0
I mean DX 0.

>no physical influence on the world around you
Exactly.

>Any attack that lands will kill you.
Not necessarily. 0-point (like from 1d-2 on a roll of 1 or 2) crushing attacks (and only crushing, everything else has a minimum of 1) won't kill you. But only on that edge case and it's not something you should count on.

Since he's a Psi it makes sense he'd have some Ablative DR, so I wouldn't count him as having 1 HP. That doesn't mean he wouldn't get fucked by many other things though.

I guess I was confusing it with some other system where those values stop you from moving entirely.

Try something like this as a template:

Non-Poisonous Spider [-317]
ST 0 [-100]; DX 12 [40]; IQ 1 [-180]; HT 10 [0].
Basic Move -4 [-20]
SM -11

Traits: 360 degree Vision [25], Binding, ST 1 (Engulfing, +60%; Inaccurate, -15%; One-Shot*, -10%; Reduced Range, 1/10, -30%; Sticky, +20%) [3], Catfall [10], Clinging [25], Dead Broke [-25], Doesn't Breathe (Oxygen Absorption, -25%) [15], Extra Legs, 6 (Cannot Kick, -50%) [5], Horizontal [-10], Innumerate [-5], Low Empathy [-20], No Sense of Humor [-10], Non-Iconographic [-10], Self-Destruct [-10], Short Lifespan 3 [-30], Social Stigma, Monster [-15]

Features: Can't adjust attributes [0], Susceptible to Lifebane [0]

* Just to keep a normal spider from being able to engulf a normal human after a few seconds of work.

That gives you more than 600 points to spend on Psionics. Add an Unusual Background to be able to increase your attributes and another to gain Psionics (the prices of which are up to the GM).

How about Susceptible or Vulnerability against insecticides?

I wouldn't. Those are poisons pretty much across the board. How would an average human react to being waterboarded by a gallon of Raid?

I also didn't do anything about diet or dietary requirements on the template. They just really didn't add enough to justify the effort in my opinion. You could certainly add Reduced Consumption and Dependency and some Social Stigma or Odious Personal Habit to cover what and how spiders eat. I just didn't bother. The template is already -300ish points. Even bringing IQ back up that's a lot of points to spend on psionics already.

It's no psychic blueberry muffin though. . .

>DX 10 means that even everyday acts of dexterity (those with a +10 TDM, like grappling a doorknob) are 50/50 for you and require a roll.

Wrong. There's every day bonuses and such. You only roll unmodified for standard adventuring rolls.

Regrowth -80%, for Molt Only.

Fractional Strength -90 All Strength scores are considered to be divided by ten

>Wrong
With a DX of 0 you have an exactly 0% chance to do anything that requires a DX roll and don't even get to roll for anything DX-related unless it's Defense or Resistance. Unless you get a positive task bonus of at least +3 you can't even attempt the action. That's like taking 8 seconds via the Long Tasks rules to grab the doorknob and failing. 200 times in a row before you succeed (on average).

You are completely and profoundly uncoordinated. Ever see a very young baby trying to grab a finger or a bottle and miss repeatedly? That's DX 0 or 1.

The uFAQ summarizes this pretty well but it still follows from the rules in Basic:

>"You may not attempt a success roll if your effective skill is less than 3, unless you are attempting a defense roll (p. 374). -- GURPS Characters, p. 345

I'd argue spider has Extra Arms instead that dubbed as legs. Plus they are extra long comparing to body size. This shit costs a lot because you're now super wrestler among species of your size.

>With a DX of 0

Except the post said

>DX 10

Not my fault that the dude mistyped and I read it that way.

It happens. Plus, I was the dude and I tried to correct my typo in a reply which you must have missed.

Did you even ask your GM if he'd okay that?

>Allowing a GURPS virgin to play a Spider
>Allowing a GURPS virgin to use psi powers

Your GM sounds like a bit of a shitheel.

What's wrong with letting a new player use psionic stuff?

He said anything goes. So I'm kinda taking advantage.

>anything goes
>in GURPS
>then leaving the players to their own devices
Your GM is either a moron or he's playing a prank

As a player you do have a responsibility to not fuck around too much. I'm definitely pushing the boundaries but I'm a fairly strong roleplayer and don't plan to break his campaign

I agree, but GURPs is more like a "system toolbox" than a finished system. Even if all you have is the core book, the GM needs to come up with a campaign concept and include only the rules that fit. Whether that's an ultralight "modern crime drama" game or a complete clusterfuck of "robot ninja cyborgs on transforming motorcycles fighting dinosaurs" kind of game.

I dunno the spider thing just seems randumb and not very creative or interesting to me.

>Hur-dur-dur I are smartfag. You are dumbfag. Dumbfag ideas are dumb.

Or you could offer constructive advice. Or maybe find out more about the game, the GM, and the other characters? Nah. Leaping to conclusions is really the best way to go.

OP states his character is
>>Super manipulative, callous professor >>PHD's in Human physiology, psychology, athropology
Which sounds like it takes place on Earth during TL6+, and that he'll be regularly interacting with humans. And if you as me that's sort of dumb-silly. Being a regular sized spider, I mean. A big spider would be neat but a tiny one really just feels random. I think a less lame character would make for a funner experience, but whatever floats your boat. But if you're new to GURPS just learning the system then playing as that character is really going to be rough. Just because you can making a zombie dinosaur cyborg pirate ninja doesn't mean you should.