Playing D&D we all got assigned classes and have to come up with a story etc

Playing D&D we all got assigned classes and have to come up with a story etc.

How the fuck do I make a Human or halforc fighter interesting?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/wvYXoyxLv64?t=187
1d4chan.org/wiki/Deffwotch
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Gray rather than green skin.

Stay as far away from Warcraft and Warhammer as possible.

Well, what are you worried is "uninteresting"?

Just come up with a story and then boom there you go.

Used to be a gladiator slave. Plenty of potential there for heavy backstory.

>Well, what are you worried is "uninteresting"?

I'm afriad of falling into the generic sword and shield bland fighter type.

Can you tell us anything about the setting? How standard is the world, from a D&D perspective?

do
And you are perfect.

>generic
>bland

No such thing. That's all subjective. Once you create a hyper specific definition for what fits those words then you will be perfect.

Things that can make a character interesting
>Setting appropriate background
>Ideals/code of conduct/point of view
>Goal or motivation (both immediate and long term is a good idea)
>A personality
>Other people (friends, family, enemies, old employers)
>The person playing the character not being a retard

Things that don't matter that much by comparison but can inform on other aspects of the character
>Class
>Race

This isn't particularly hard to figure out, nor does it require writing very much down.

What edition of D&D?

Folklore is full of human fighters. It shouldn't be hard to find inspiration.

What kind of fighter are you going for? Pic related maxed dex, and has a decent str/cha score. He then took every crossbow related feat.

Half-Orc
> Go Pig-Men orc instead
> Pick Champion, wreck face

Human
> Pick almost any literary hero / figure, or main character of your favorite film / video game. Probably a human fighter.

by playing a character that is interesting, and happens to be a human or halforc fighter?

What system? Are you able to multiclass? If it's 3.5 or 5, build multiclass warlock half orc. Conversing with the dark powers & so on

5e and no I'm a pure fighter

I'm alarmed by the increasing popularity of pig-men orcs on Veeky Forums

>gladiator slave
>somehow still hot and fresh
>pressing flowers isn't
>sketching animals and monsters to remember great battles isn't
>telling excellent war stories at every camp isn't
>tfw multiclass was actually considered as a way to spice things up rather than actual roleplaying
>tfw u will never understand what's wrong with a fighter that waits for the biggest fight of his life so he can name his parent's sword

5e is great, you can actually have SKILLS as a fighter in 5e, unlike in 3.5/Pathfinder.

Veeky Forums is full of weebs, and porcs are close to the old 1e MM orcs, so what did you expect?

Give them a personality.

Build your character around your background.

Your race and class are incidental to your background. For example, play a guild merchant who learned to defend himself. Or an acolyte that always wanted to be a paladin and never got called... but he still has the martial training. Be a sage that learned the sword in order to go out and see the world for himself instead of relying on books. And so on.

If you think a fighter is bland, that's your fault, not the fault of the game. All it takes is a touch of imagination.

Fighters are the most interesting class with the most creative room for development of your character.

Why do you fight?

What is worth fighting for?

youtu.be/wvYXoyxLv64?t=187

>shit game
>good trailer

>I'm alarmed by people on Veeky Forums being stupid contrarians

Use the backgrounds since you're playing 5e. All you have to do is expand the background into fluff text. You can either choose those or roll for them.

Make them Brock Lesnar.

You need some fluff assistance.
Try this simple formula:

[Character] used to be [profession/lifestyle]
Every day, he would [do something quite common]
Until one day, when [some shit happened]
Because of this, [some other shit happened]
And that's why he's an adventurer.

Thedrick used to be a small-time travelling merchant in his father's small-time mercantile enterprise.
Every day, he would travel to neighboring lands to buy/sell goods as necessary.
Until one day, when he returned to find his father's shop torched and looted by goblins of the Skullfucker Clan.
Because of this, Thedrick hit the gym, vowing to take his shit back from that goblin scum.
That's why he's an adventurer.

But with a masculine voice.

A'right...
Half-orc is a son of a big orcish chieftain 4u and human woman who might be a slave in orc's harem or Red Sonja-like girl that married chief consensually. He wants to prove his cool, to become worthy of his (now dead) father's title, and make his full-blooded siblings either accept his rule or die. So, because of hailing from orcish society, our fighter is even more orky than ususal. As character develops, he understands importance of more civilised and less gruumshy concepts, and now is ambitious to bring his tribe to civilisation and even greater might.
>Remember to make ornaments and fetishes from bones, skulls, scalpels and whatever you feel like.
>"Aye, so 'dere are 3 important things in a man, orcs teach: body to wreck enemies, spirit to wreck despair and force body to work in worst days, and tribe to bring more bodies and spirits with ya. Shamans tenda bring more spirits than bodies, heh heh."
>"Yes, I called our thief a weakling. Are you... what that word was again... Are you implying that this isn't true?"
>"He almost cleaved my head in half... Damn, that's a cool scar. Mind leaving it here, witch doc- err, I mean, holy doc?"

Hey Veeky Forums a party member of mine is a half-Orc paladin and seems to be having trouble with backstory. He wants to come from his Orc clan and only recently became civilized/paladin and he wants to fanboy over my character.

What can I do to help him flesh out his character more?

if its 5e go half orc you are gray not green, entertainer background with the gladiator variant, you get 2 martial weapons from fighter and a third one from gladiator background instead of an instrument, make a 2h wielding badass that can swap out his 2h for a trident / net that he became proficient with in the fighting pits

1d4chan.org/wiki/Deffwotch if you want some humor.
If you want to be serious, execute the "law of the steppe" thingie: half-orc still partially lives by barbaric principles, where some just annoying things are considered heavy sins (being a loner, being a coward, etc)

I don't know if this helps or not but his name Bilbone and the campaign is Curse of Strahd

Your fighter is a wannabe aristocrat/nobleperson. Once, when they were young, they witnessed a group of noblepeople doing something fancy or having a party or something and was struck with the urge to be more like them, because their lives looked so much nicer/fancier/nobler than your character's own life.
When he was old enough, he tried to ingratiate himself with the upper crust, but failed because they were too judgmental of his poverty/lack of courtly manners/half-orc status/ugliness/temper/etc.

He adventures now to win a name for himself and show those stuck-up hoity-toities and all 'noblepeople' of the world that he deserves to be among them if not beyond them in grace and stature.

Be sure to give him a sick hat and cape. If you go Battlemaster, fluff your maneuvers as cape tricks., e.g., your trip attack involves you pulling your cape from under them, stuff like that. You can also go full DEX-finesse rapier fighter if you really want to seal yourself with a Musketeer image, but that's your call depending on how cliché you might find that.

Just fall for it. Go fucking BALLS deep.
Everyone tries to be different.
You're Kronk Skullzreaver from the Johnson clan.

2 words. Conan the Barbarian.

>Human Fighter

Make him a Variant human fighter, and prepare to have enemy goblins and shit bent over your , and bleeding

>How do I make him interesting?

Do you mean as a backstory? That, I don't know. Fighter, along with Rogue, are -the- fun as fuck melee classes period.

Fucking try? The class is almost irrelevant, think of what makes the PERSON interesting. What's his hobby, his family? If you have to focus on the class then what weapon does he specialize in and more importantly why.

If he's half-orc then half your job is done for you since the family situation's gonna be interesting.

Play him as Daniel Plainview from There Will be Blood.

>not son of a human sellsword who settled down with a qt orc musclegirl

ya blew it

>Johnson clan is the Orcish clan from which he descends.
>Skullzreaver is the shit his human mother made up because she thought it seemed Orcy

>Human mother clearly has green fever
>Even though she has no fucking clue about orc culture
>Poor Kronk "my last name should be Johnson" Skullzreaver has a complex about his name because orcs keep laughing their asses off when they hear his chuuni as fuck name
>His personal ambition is to become famous enough that people start associating his name with "cool".

Well think about the place where the game takes in.
There are knightly orders near? or is he a mercenary? or a bounty hunter?
Were is he from, what style of fighting does he do?
What are his personality traits?
just think about it.