Amazing game that is never coming back

>amazing game that is never coming back

What was her name, Veeky Forums?

Bonus points if it's largely due to the incompetency of their creators

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/download/ocyykpqvmawdyse/Burning Wheel - Gold Edition - Bookmarked OCR.pdf
ign.com/articles/2016/07/21/comic-con-2016-dont-breathe-director-gives-dantes-inferno-monsterpocalypse-updates
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Aliens colonial marines
Duke nukem forever
Daikatana

Monsterpocalypse was fun but the booster based format killed it. Dreamblade was similar, I enjoyed that game a lot.

I also miss the old Lord of the Rings card game, it was really different and unique.

Duel Masters

Command and Conquer

Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines

I mean Jyhad.

>Monsterpocalypse was fun but the booster based format killed it
This. Believe it or not, but there's a distinct line between the TCG and wargame audiences. There's crossover, sure, but just like how most MMA fans wouldn't be caught dead watching wrestling, there's a significant portion of the wargame people who will never go for pre-assembled and pre-painted stuff.

Not to mention the pants-on-head retardation of randomized models, when the entire point of random cards is that you get a lot of them relatively cheaply (and people still buy rare ones at exhorbitant prices from third parties).

>Daikatana
Shadow Warrior/Rise of the Triad-style remake never.

At least we have 1.3.

Confrontation. Say what you want but I like their minis.

Yup, randomised 'boosters' of models is a ridiculous way to build up any force in a game of this size, especially when there's so many factions and they cost so much. Later on they did army boxes but it was a bit late. Also the buildings weren't easy to get in bulk.

It's not a dead game, but this is how I feel about Burning Wheel. It'd be a lot more popular if the author weren't intent on making it obscure. I've never seen another RPG author tell a fan asking for PDFs of the core book, "If you don't want to play with a book at the table, this game isn't for you. Go play someone else's."

The Starship Troopers wargame seemed to die prematurely given the quality of the model range. Mongoose seem to have mishandled several ranges, it's a bit dodgy relying on them for anything. The Judge Dredd game dried up quickly after a solid launch.

X-COM: UFO Defense.

(It has a remakesequel and a generally fucked up chronology/namespace, but they a shit, everyone a bullet wizard now who knows bullet wizard spells instead of being man with gun.)

Dungeon Keeper.

>Command and Conquer

Me and my roommate still play monpoc. I'll never forgive PP for spoiling the new morphers just before they killed the game.

They actually were trying to fix that with the release of 2 player army boxes

You still get a random army, but at least that helps you straight up trade for one you wanted or just look for opened boxes online.

I myself hated the building distribution, more so than anything -- having a solid city setup was pretty key to certain strategies, and living off of randoms was painful.

oh shit I just noticed you said the same thing...

The real person that kill the game was Tim Burton, however.

>I'll never forgive PP

My sentiments exactly

Shit hurts, man. Models were gorgeous, gameplay was F U N and squad tactics satisfying.

Possibly related for the people mourning MonPoc, I recently backed this game on Kickstarter which gave me some similar feelings, although it's a very different beast.

Giga-Robo, a PvP game of giant robot fights in a destructible city. It looks pretty cool.

The MINUTE they add kaiju, I will be all over this

It's cool that you can customize them, but I kinda wished there was more variety

It doesn't exactly help that the author basically goes "no, you can't houserule out the weird narrative shit that probably creates a barrier for people coming from more traditional RPGs because it's so integral taking it out would break the game". Not even saying they're bad mechanics, just that they're probably the biggest hurdle I've had in getting people to play it.

I would love to see a Kaiju expansion. I know there's been a lot of talk about it in the KS comments, so we can hope.

Man I don't even remember the name of it but that pirate ship game from Wizkids that had thin plastic ship pieces that you assembled into a ship. It was pretty cool but just never developed a player base.

that gives me a lot of hope

I am sad I hit the snooze button on this game in the end, but I struggle as it is to find people to play normie games...

That shit was actually legit

Blame starwars for killing it. Shelves were clogged with those sets, but I had a hard time finding pirates stuff.

Gorkamorka, Battle Fleet Gothic, Warhammer Fantasy D&D 4e

Navia Dratp.

Dreamblade deserves another mention because the miniatures for it were weird as fuck.

I keep meaning to get my old ones out of the attic and rebase them for use in RPG's and such.

>I myself hated the building distribution, more so than anything -- having a solid city setup was pretty key to certain strategies, and living off of randoms was painful.
The real issue with the randomized distro. If you wanted to play Martians or Bugs you needed to have a set of power plants and the other radioactive building.
Getting monsters was ok if you had a group as you could buy sealed cases of hero boosters and get 1 of each.

Bought a whole bunch of them dirt cheap, just before I stopped playing RPGs that require or want miniatures.

Yeah, it's really fucking stupid. Especially when, because of a book shortage, you have to pay hundreds of dollars to have the books and some more when you don't live in the US. I ended up pirating most of it, because I won't pay 400€ to play a tabletop.

The writing is also very obtuse, the author is NOT good at explaining things. Most of my players got lost in the books, and I had to write a game helper explaining most of the mechanics to have fluid gameplay. It's sad, because the system is really good in my opinion.

What weird narrative shit?

D&D 4e

Oh, sure, 5e came out, but it's a pure degeneration. 4e tried something new and interesting but it started suffering clear boardroom sabotage with Essentials, and then the whole suicide thing put their plans for continued online support in the fucking coffin, and so forth and so on. What should've been the uncontested best edition of d&d ended up being too risky for boardroom executives, so now WoTC are trying to lure the grognards back in by reviving all the sacred cows 4e tried to kill.

Damn shame.

Sword of the Stars.

90% of Spartan Games' catalogue, at this point.

Girlfriend had a load of this. It's fucking excellent, especially the sea monsters. Giant crab was the best.

I can agree with this. Essentials was a tragedy, because the couple of classes they released before that had really interesting design choices. It'd have been great if they had a few more books to flesh them out, and maybe finished the digital support side of things.

Then again, I still hold out hope for a successor (And no, Strike! doesn't count.)

>Game wasn't DnD in anything but name and lore
>Best version of DnD
Wew, lad. Putting that aside, 4e definitely enjoyed it's share of success and doesn't belong in this thread.

>Dungeon Keeper.
But user, wasn't the mobile game good enough for you?

Whatever happened to that spiritual successor some guys were making? War Against the Overworld or something like that - was it any good?

>What weird narrative shit?

He probably means Beliefs and Instincts, which I can empathize with because it challenges players to write what amounts to an acting cue they get rewarded for basing their roleplay around, and most do not think too deeply about that. It's especially awkward to start a campaign with because most players don't really find things to care about until they're a session or so in, and until that point, it's just whatever the GM is going to set them on that they concern themselves with.

It's a little hard to explain, but Beliefs tend to fall flat with players because they're *supposed* to be things the players care about and want to accomplish, but players usually aren't mentally there before they have some real worldly context around their characters they can latch onto, to say nothing of how it's hard to write a Belief about your character's attitude before you *find* your character in the first or second session, finding the difference between what they had in mind and what actually comes out on the table. Until they get there, they just don't really care as much as the gesture of writing out a belief suggests they should.

Why? It's amazing and it's never coming back.
Both criteria fulfilled.

I liked all the sea monsters and ghost ships. It got a bit silly with ships armed with giant scythes and blades but I saw very few of them to buy.

Oh yeah

Well, I like this system as a player, since I tend to develop a good backstory and have motivations for my characters, so It's good for me.

As a GM, all my players struggled a bit with beliefs and instincts at the start, so I just ruled that you can take multiples sessions to flesh out your character and write them. It worked fine.

War for the Overworld.

It came out, I bought it on Steam, and the magic wasn't there. It suffered badly from Generic RTS Syndrome: no pause button, traps and other static defenses nerfed to discourage "turtling", repeating intermittent enemy attacks that smash through walls like nobody's business, build an army to outarmy the other army's army, railroady and open-area maps to invade across rather than tunnel through, and the "dungeon" aspect kinda gone for several of the above reasons and also because rooms don't use walls any more.

Expanding on that last: DK2 had had slightly broken construction incentive where players were abusing dungeon room walls by making 1xN and 2xN rooms to get maximum wall doodads per tile.
WftO solution: "fix" the incentive by removing wall doodads from game entirely, rooms now only work based on internal space.
Result of new incentive: Open-plan dungeons with "rooms" now being more like "territories" separated by string instead of walls.

Apparently there was a Korean clone

That's Chinese.

>Dungeons
>Dragons
>Dice resolution
>"B-BUT MUH CASTERS WEREN'T OVERPOWERED ANYMORE!!!!!!"
Nah it was d&d.

Aliens vs. Predator the CCG

>Dungeons
>Dragons
>Dice resolution
>"B-BUT MUH CASTERS WEREN'T OVERPOWERED ANYMORE!!!!!!"
Nah it was d&d.

EVE online: the card game the broken dream

If anyone here actually played it, they'd know it was really a wonderful space cardgame. You could mine asteroids, manufacture stuff, be a greedy jew; the works.

Ayy, that's the one. Had single issues, models were flimsy and unlike pvc models you couldn't convincingly glue pieces back on. Still a neat collectable though. Shame it never took off.

AT-43

Amen to the starship troopers game. Mongoose could not run a piss-up in a brewery.

Mongoose is weird. Treasure trove of good games marred by terrible lack of proofreading, editing and then business.

A while back they stopped being a miniatures producer and I thing that was the smartest move they've ever made.

Dredd got sold off to Warlord, A Call To Arms Star Fleet is pretty much entirely in ADBs grognardy hands, and so on and so forth.

Starship Troopers I am amazed lasted as long as it did because the licensing for that must have been insane for a small wargames/rpg publisher. Which at the point was everyone who wasn't GW. The miniatures now are largely available through alternate names over at Rebel Miniatures.

There was another one, sequel to something that was notably worse... came out about the same time. Name escapes me entirely.

Yeah I ended up just making my own ruleset based on it because the author is so intent on making it hard to grasp and using really weird terminology to make a simple mechanic. And he also seems to reject the notion that a buyable PDF would be useful. Especially since it had so many good concepts and was great for low fantasy.

>And he also seems to reject the notion that a buyable PDF would be useful.
I had that problem with Tephra.

>And he also seems to reject the notion that a buyable PDF would be useful.

Do what I do and just upload his game at any given chance. If he hates money that much he can go fuck himself.

In fact, I'll do it right now.

mediafire.com/download/ocyykpqvmawdyse/Burning Wheel - Gold Edition - Bookmarked OCR.pdf

>2236 downloads since I last checked

Huh, naisu

I cry every time
It was pretty fun

Both the original system, and Ragnarok were solid and fun. Cadwallon had some major translation issues, but was otherwise great too.

At least it is going strong in japan and i can play with my one DM playing friend on our self-made lackeyccg plugin

> tfw you will never go and play duel masters at dragons lair again
I even knew the best player in my country

Jesus christ i just remembered when i was guilt-tripped into sharing the weekly tournament prize with the guy i beat and he pulled a fucking bolmeteus from the booster i gave him why the fuck did i do that why why why

Yo ho yo ho, matey. I went one level higher and pirated it, then rewrote sections I needed for a homebrew just to spite him. I like the ideas and concepts but they're just so alienating to even experienced tabletop players because the writing is so condescending to "the usual" tabletop game and player.

>because the writing is so condescending to "the usual" tabletop game and player.

To this day this meme makes no sense to me.

If this thread is still alive when I get home, I'll link my BW trove with all of the whatever Burners.

Agreed. People don't really realize that it's both a false dichotomy and the fact that ttprg's are too niche anyway to have a "usual" player. I like a myriad pf games and multiple systems and would be far more interested in buying BW if it wasn't marketed at tabletop hipster douche canoes that are too elitist to have fun playing with.

Also you can summarize burning wheels mechanics as "use d6 like FATE but move the yes/no threshold to change difficulty. Also reward players when they correctly roleplay the PC they made."

This is like a list of games I wanted to play but never got too...
Though I do own those nice (and flimsy) pirate ships...

I like the updated Topps Atax 2011, before it died.

>I . . . would be far more interested in buying BW if it wasn't marketed at tabletop hipster douche canoes that are too elitist to have fun playing with.

What?

No, the meme that makes no sense to me is the one where some people say Luke Crane is condescending in his writing. It's utterly baffling to me.

MonPoc
AT-43
Legends of the Old West
Gear Krieg

Missed out on the recent Kickstarter? Core book was available for $25 in hardback.

I can only assume it is because his writing style is very informal, which can rub people the wrong way. There are also some examples of some super overly simplistic stuff

I actually LOVE Burning Wheel (I even got my signed Codex from the kick starter the other day, so that should tell you about the level of fanboyism I have going on here), so I can't quite speak to that criticism directly, but I've actually had the same issue trying to read Dungeon World, where I just can't digest it without hating the author (not comenating on the quality of the game itself either way, just how it is written), so I sort of understand the feeling.

Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

mech warrior dark age

or any decent click-base based collectable game.

i fucking loved those

why did they stop this shieet, it made a small margin profit right ?

ai missed it

magi nation :

>never coming back
>Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines

>Warhammer Fantasy Battles
>Mordheim.
>Necromunda
>Armageddon Era 40k
>Proper Epic 40k
>Man O' War
>Warmaster
There's so many just from one company.

>when a new game company runs one of their games at your LGS and it's fucking stupid but nobody tells them that and they go out of business a few months later
Still better than the guys who went out of business during the prerelease of their first game. They did so many things wrong that it's futile to list them or memorize them. They even thought that if your model was 28mm from the base to the top of a spear, then it counted as 28mm scale. I can't make this shit up.

>They even thought that if your model was 28mm from the base to the top of a spear, then it counted as 28mm scale.
WUT THE ZOG?!?!

But Monsterpocalypse isn't dead?

tell more pls

We got Doom and Alien: Isolation so at least our shit sandwich at least has bread and some milk.

>all these monpoc respects

Fucking why? Why is it dead?

They had such a nice setting, amazing paintjobs OUT OF THE BOX, it was widely liked, and the rules weren't full of shit.

Why do the young have to die so good?

F

Blame Rackham for their Gallic confidence that they knew what their customers wanted.

You see, all of those people swooning over amazing sculpting with incredible painting potential REALLY wanted cheap pre-painted plastic. No, really.

bruh, it's been five years

>Tfw can't find the warrior bug models anywhere
Life is pain.

I mean really, how good were the drugs they were on, that it EVER seemed like a good idea?!

I really like what AT-43 would have become. It started as a bit of a gorgeous train wreck, though.

Because motherfucking PissPants

It was Romans vs Han Chinese to attract the historical crowd somehow, then added mythical creatures for fantasy players, then they made everything pre-painted to drive up costs or something equally retarded, then boxed everything by class--so the troops choices of both armies would be in one box, the monsters would be in one box, etc.

This was about 10 years ago but we will never forget their attempts to sell this as an actual product to human beings.

>then boxed everything by class--so the troops choices of both armies would be in one box

I mean... why tho? Did they assume everyone wanted to play both armies and or had a friend to go halfsies on? Was it a way to guarantee each faction sold equally?

Would like to see examples of the prepaints myself

What even happened to it? I can't find info anywhere.

But but....the Monpoc movie.

IIRC they had issues with their molds breaking down and being overly complicated so they just said fuck it.

>Replying seriously to this fat ogre clown fucker.
I need a shower.

here's the tl;dr

>PP get TIMMY BURT BURT to direct the monsterpocalypse movie
>Tim Tim Burstron notices a movie on the horizon called PAC RIM and sweats bullets
>Decides to wait and see how the movie does before going ahead with his own project
>PP wants to re-release the game when the movie IP launches for BIGGU BUCKO
>He's Bum Tirton, so he gets cold feet
>Movie is in development hell
>Puppy Punchers decides to SHELVE THE ENTIRE PRODUCTION LINE, which was told to be about a warehouse full of plastic kaijus, and lock them up until the movie deal goes through
>entire game shitcanned because of the whims of Hollywood

They won't even sell the existing product as is. That's how fucking stupid they are.

Oh joy.

>Timburt is a spineless jelly.
>This kills the MonPoc.
That's extremely sad.

But...but... it has a new director to make a terrible film that will do well at the box office.

>fat ogre clown fucker.
Im chubby, but not as big as some of the fa/tg/uys I have met.
Im muscular, but not big enough to be an ogre.
My currently ladies are not into clowns.
Truely, existence is suffering.

Back on topic. As mentions, AT-43 was actually pretty damn good, quality wise (I can't speak for gameplay or fluff, not my interest). The difference in quality between Plastirok and AT-43 was mind boggling though.

>Aliens colonial marines
My nigger!

I believe there's some irony to add to that

They were experimenting with themed individual IP releases, such as this cool Voltron set. Now if they had just swallowed their pride and asked WB to allow them to make a set like this, they could've gotten the best of both worlds -- having their universe and eating up the fans of another.

They fucked up, in my opinion, in so many ways. Also they've alienated their existing MonPoc userbase by canceling the game MID season -- there are factions out there with incomplete armies, namely the combiner Monsters and HQ buildings.

What? Really?

That's actually mildly exciting news. Do you know exactly who is doing it?

Helmer Federal Alverz from the Evil Dead remake and Don't Breathe

His billing his take as "Apocolypse Now" meets "War of the Monsters"
ign.com/articles/2016/07/21/comic-con-2016-dont-breathe-director-gives-dantes-inferno-monsterpocalypse-updates

>"It's really different from the game, honestly," Alvarez said. "It goes a bit more to what the original point was and the original mythology of Dante's Inferno. It takes some ideas from the game, but it's more, story-wise, it's more similar to the classic story."

Sooo PP still won't get the ideal conditions to relaunch their game?

I will remain slightly dead inside until more info emerges from this. Thanks for bringing it to my attention, user.

I never I guess I never personally cared about what the 'ideal' of DND was.

Never mind the change from original, basic, Advance and 3rd were probably larger than any changes 4e made.