Hey, Veeky Forums. I'm running a Dread game for my friends. I wanted it to have a cool 80's Spielberg feel like Goonies...

Hey, Veeky Forums. I'm running a Dread game for my friends. I wanted it to have a cool 80's Spielberg feel like Goonies, E.T., Super 8, and Stranger Things.

It takes place on the last week of summer vacation before the kids (players) go to high school.

I need some cool ideas for a one-shot for them to play.
Aliens
Monsters
Government agents
Psychic girls.

I need something that will feel both new and familiar. Any ideas?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=BeJ39FsWpbk
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Pennywise the Clown or something to that effect. Really anything that lives in the sewers is going to give you a good opportunity for a dungeon encounter.

Run Ten Candles instead. It's kind of like Dread but with a cooler gimmick.

Also someone please post the pdf I need it

>hey everyone, I just watched Stranger Things and I'm extremely easy to influence

Nothing wrong with that

What sort of anime would you recommend then?

Yeah, it was awesome a fun idea for a one-shot. Don't be shitty.

Burmp

>implying stealing from good media (films/shows/books whatever) is bad

No but making the same thread twice in three days is.

Oldfag here.

No anime. Back in the 80s, all we had was Star Blazers, Robotech, and Voltron, and even those were kind of obscure. We didn't know what "anime" was, and if we did, it was "Japanese animation."

Stealing material is great, "everything is a remix," etc. Just put your own personalized twist on it.

I wouldn't rush it. Concentrate first on the genre and the times; what they had compared to what we don't have now, and vice-versa. Maybe talk w/someone who was actually there.

>I'm extremely easy to influence
>posts chinese woodcarvings

And nothing is wrong with ST.

>Any ideas?
You could Kite Runner them.

Have the monsters be like those Critters/Gremlins/Goblins/Trolls etc. The main characters might have an easier time dealing with small monsters than one big one, but I'd save a "Queen" monster for the end.
If you can buy or make some kind of monster hand puppet that would be cool too.

>Aliens
Dig through the Twilight Zone and the Outer Limits. I remember a few episodes that dealt with Extraterrestrials rather well, for a twist you could make the kids unwitting subjects in a experiment. Alternatively you could try something like Star Trek, with Aliens peacefully observing the development of human civilization. Have the the kids stumble into the redshirts completely by accident.

>Monsters
Depends on what you want. Do you want Demons and Eldritch Horrors? Check out IT, or Dragon Tears. Vampires? Salem's Lot, or have the Kids briefly unveil the masquerade. Ol' Scratch himself? The Legend of Faust, or even the Hearts of Stone expansion to Witcher III (hell, it even has a well done Haunted House).

>Government agents
Delta Green, XCOM kidnap-err I mean recruiting people, X-Files with a Muldur and Scully showing up. Or for a more Blue Collar group, go with Ghost Busters.

>Psychic girls.
If you want things kinky, Elfin Lied or Deadman Wonderland if you want psycho chicks mass murdering a-holes.

Bleh. You should use Stranger Things to inspire you, not just shamelessly steal from it.

If you want psychic girls and secret military testing programs look up F.E.A.R

Like so?

Pop-culture police are just the best

I second the Ten Candles comment. It's better than Dread in a lot of ways. Game PDF is $10. Well worth it.

Everybody is shitting themselves over this thing, what is it about?

Go watch it for yourself.

It's a campfire storytelling game, not an RPG. It's getting hyped hard right now. I haven't played it but the rules looked pretty meh.

Ok, guys. This is what I have so far;

The Last Summer;

The Last Summer takes place in 1984 and follows six teens during their last summer before high school. Two of the kids are moving away and they all know this is the last time they'll all be together.

Their little "group" is a bit of an exploration group, kinda like the Goonies. They explore their town of Lily Valley, a small forest town in Michigan.

During on of their adventures, they stumble across a mansion in the forest. From what they can tell, a landslide must have buried it long ago, because they're able to walk on the roof as if it were ground. Upon investigation, they find the dilapidated interior is covered in strange writings on the walls and symbols.

A low tone starts up as they venture further, increasing in pitch until its a shrill, painful noise. They discover what looks to be a massive fissure in the wall, completely dark. One of the kids, Coop, investigates, and is pulled into the darkness. The high pitched noise becomes unbearable, and the children pass out.

They awake the next day, each in their own beds.
The last day of school, Coop is nowhere to be seen.
A barbwire fence has been erected around the perimeter of the house they found.
And people are starting to act strange around the town....

Sounds alright.

What about the government conspiracy angle?

Government buried part of the town in controlled landslides back in the 30's. Cultists opened up a gate to another world, turning them vampyric.

I was with you up to darksparkle

Why Dread.

I love Dread, but why for this?

You're gonna have to kill all the kids off.

>hey everyone, I'm a shitposter and I'm extremely easily amused by anime memes

I'd try Dead of Night.
For a more elaborate game MaOCT could work.

>Have the the kids stumble into the redshirts completely by accident.
Something about that reminds me of Buckaroo Bonzai (I think that was the name). Just weird 80's movies, alien police land on earth to search for a space criminal and run into titular character.

Just... Odd as I remember (I was stupidly young when I saw it and don't remember it quite as fondly as I do both Short Circuits).

Which by the way! Rampaging monsterous entity that just needs to be loved as its chased by adults that don't know any better! That's a good story arc to use. Has ready to use easy bad guys and mooks, and a bossmonster that can either be beaten, negotiated with, escape from, and escape home.

God my dad showed me this one summer and it was just... Weird.

youtube.com/watch?v=BeJ39FsWpbk

Spooky English Town, faint Twin Peaks Vibe, pre Twin Peaks. Stone Henge Conspiracies.