The best thing about Heroquest is the games made today that play very similar!

The best thing about Heroquest is the games made today that play very similar!

What ARE the games made today that play very similar Veeky Forums?

also brauwdsward

youtube.com/watch?v=Cx8sl2uC46A

really? nobody knows a single game like heroquest made today, that i wouldnt have to pay 100 dollars for a copy of off ebay or amazon?

Closest I've found is Dungeon Saga from Mantic Games.

instructional video makes it look fun. I wonder how many expansions it has.

Descent

Massive Darkness looks bretty gud

Descent
Dungeon Saga
Super Dungeon Explore
Every D&D board game
Warhammer Quest

Just to start. Some are closer than others.

So far there is The Return of Valandor (More undead and a scary demon guy), Abyssal Crypts (Demons), and The Warlord of Galahir (Orcs and goblins). What I like about the game is partly that while it does mirror Heroquest very well, but one of the supplements gives you the ability to play a GMless game via cards randomly handling things, and even adds character creation in if your group is inclined towards that.

MtG Arena of the Planeswalkers

That's Heroscape not Herquest.

>Oh no! Mormons!
>Aggressively slams small door

My fucking sides are in orbit

>tfw all the expansions, but no one wants to play with me....

Still very fun solo.

Combat is a bit quirky and you'd have to really invest time to use AC to create a char and then to roll up an adventure. I'd imagine it would be fun to create coop quests similar to WHQ , or even just using the pieces to play HQ or AHQ.

Do any of them have the neat little card-and-plastic furniture? Those were the greatest.

>tfw you have a full-on erection for the models from Heroquest
>got a load cheap on ebay
>no way of getting just the boards/cards/scenery/etc without probably paying £100 for a complete set all over again

Also OP, the android app Arcane Quest is supposedly incredibly similar, just installed it for my holidays.

Dungeon saga comes with fully plastic furniture like tables kegs book shelves a wishing well, three types of doors. It really makes the game pop. There's also piles of bones that are resin.

It's the kind of thing if you had the parts no one would be forced to play using mantics ruleset.

Cheaper than finding a WHQ et al on the bay.

I think I spent over 200$+ on a set of HQ and an incomplete set of AHQ, but they are classics. I spent just as much on dungeon saga but the quantity of stuff you get is massive, but if you don't like the rules/printed material I'm not sure if it's worth it just for the tiles furniture and minis

I just started playing arcane quest yesterday. I think it does play similar to HQ as far as I can tell. I'm not sure how far I'll get into it, but the deluxe full version of Warhammer Quest on PC actually plays pretty well with tons of progression, worth around 20$ or less on sale. The mobile versions are way overpriced with IAP covering the dlc.

Descent works, but it is really more of a dungeon race than a dungeon exploration. New players should be clearly made aware that you GOTTA GO FAST before starting a new campaign. It's a fun game but you really can't stroll around and spelunk at your own pace.

Amazing! Thanks user, I wasn't expecting something so close to a Heroquest remake (except with a modular board, which makes a lot of sense).

IIRC (I might be a few months out of date here) there is a new version either out now or coming out shortly.

If you decide to play using the premade quests, the game plays as close to a TBS dungeon crawl video game as could be replicated on a table, it's very much a DM vs player group kind of game. The quests also levels up your characters in a predetermined way, so using the stock characters would probably give everyone a similar experience no matter who you are playing with, you could just jump into a quest at random and just do a one off.

They have another set of rules called the adventurers companion which details character building leveling etc. and contains other materials allowing different ways to run the game.

These guys' hearts are such in the right place for this game, sadly I'd guess it's very niche atm, I'm not sure that dungeon crawls with actual pieces are things people play anymore. but my personal ideas for an epic campaign are very realizable even if you used random dungeons, encounters etc. to fill in the blanks.

But in the end a dungeon crawl is a dungeon crawl, personally the pieces help my imagination, but they also add structure which can be good or bad in terms of a TTRPG.

Of DKH that is, Heroquest 25th looks cool but is a complete clusterfuck on shaky legal grounds that nobody will get anything from crowdfunding.

Basically, perennial Spanish rip-off artists Gamezone Miniatures set up a separate company, so they can deny responsibility for deliveries even though their name is also on the site, which claims to have the rights to the name through the local importers of the original game or something, not through Milton Bradley, Games Workshop or the american copyright holder Issaries Inc., who make the unrelated HeroWars/HeroQuest RPG

That much? I'm glad i bought my copy back when it was just £40 or so on ebay.

>brother has a set of hero quest
>i convinced my parents to buy a set when I was like 8 for $20
>mfw it's value

I got a guy to paint all the miniatures from the base game and one expansion (50 miniatures total) for $250, best money I ever spent.

You might want to look for the cards and tiles in a .pdf document or as images online, and try going to a printing shop to have them printed up on the appropriate material.

i would kill for a new game in the style of heroquest. hell, just some kind of knockoff.

I backed this at the Lanzanos stage on the 2nd last day of the campaign.
It immediately charged me as soon as I backed, which sort of scared me, despite only being a day early.
Ultimately this led to me having paypal charge it back before the campaign ended.

Dodged a fucking bullet. Even if it some day comes out, I've moved country 3 times since the end of 2013. God knows if I'd ever have gotten it.

Well you may not be able to beat the classics, in the end you may just want to get the WHQ Vidya unless you have someone to play with. And these games were always based on a competitive match with the DM.

Mice & Mystics is pretty fun.

I need to check M&M out. Last I saw it was pretty pricey on the bay. There are expansions too.

It's a coop crawler?