Is it lawful to loot possessions from a living human enemy thats knocked out/tied up in pathfinder?

Is it lawful to loot possessions from a living human enemy thats knocked out/tied up in pathfinder?

What? No.
That's theft. Just because someone is asleep doesn't mean their property claims are void.

LAW OF SALVAGE!

So a Lawful Evil character would be against taking things from a living knocked out character, but would be fine killing them, then taking their equipment?

Damn straight, there's a procedure to follow, and lawful is there to follow it.

Murder is unlawful too you know.

It's not murder if its self defense to begin with.

Oh well then yeah go ahead. Depends on the local self defense laws I suppose too, but the LE character's going to abuse those anyway.

Say goblin fortress, Under whos jurisdiction is that? The goblins laws? In the wilderness if a mercenary tries to kill you, but you manage to capture them instead, a lawful character would not take his stuff?

What do you think this is, a TES game?

this is specifically why i'm asking kind of though. If a player who says he is lawful neutral cleric doesnt even mention disinterest in looting his tied up foe when the party does it, should I have his deity revoke his powers?

Kind of depends on circumstance, intent and actually knowing what's going on.
But searching your enemy for concealed weapons and taking a the contents of their wallet for trying to kill them isn't barely a blip.
Also no, you don't fucking lose your powers for one dubious act. You mark it down, and if he keeps doing shit he receives a warning telling him to shape up. After that, if he keeps doing shit, then bad shit happens. If no repenting, then you strip of powers and maybe throw a curse in for good measure.

That's not right, to implement the law of salvage you have to find the possessions of the captured human to have been in danger of spoilage or damage or liable to cause environmental damage, and you'd have to get permission to salvage from the possessions' owner.

I think instead you meant; LAW OF PRIZE!

The conditions that allow you to lawfully loot the possession of a living human enemy are:

You must have lifted your True Colors before firing your first cannon shot at the Prize.

You must also ensure that nothing is taken from the Prize before it is taken before an admiralty court.

Alternatively, if it is unreasonable or impossible to take the prize before an admiralty court, you can ransom the prize from their owner in the form of an IOU from the prize's original owner (which would normally be extortion and thus unlawful, but isn't because you're using the law of prize), this IOU can be equivalent to the possessions of the prisoner and thus you can lawfully loot the fuck out of that captured human enemy and then declare the prisoner's debts to you paid.

So as long as the lawful PC showed their true colors to the prisoner before defeating them and tieing them up it's fine.

That completely depends on the nature of the characters lawfulness, and their relationship to the enemy

I'm taking their shit as "proof" that I completed the bounty. It's not my fault that the best thing to do with that "proof" afterwards is to sell it.

If he's evil and/or guilty of theft, yes. Then it's completely within the rights of a good and lawful character to take possessions from him.

But is it really lawful to declare yourself judge, jury, and repo man?

you're supposed to sever fingers, ears or scalp them for stuff like that - theft proves nothing as they could have dropped the items.

Not without a court deciding it's kosher first!

It fucks up the wealth by level you monster, they might as well an hero and reroll in the afterlife.

Would barging into a Lich's castle and killing him be murder?

>court
Good luck with that. A trustworthy judge of character is enough, such as a paladin or simply a warrior or cleric known to be good and lawful.

That depends on the characters relation to the local authorities

Yes, that's what paladins are.

It depends on the set- no, wait, I mean it depends on the character.

>If this person will use their sword to cause harm, it is worth confiscating.
>This stolen gold should go to those most in need.
>They are a criminal, therefore their goods are forfeit.
>Objects belong to no one, property should not exist; therefore I shall use these tools while he cannot.
>He has done wrong to me, I am within my rights of retribution to take from him

All these things could be said by a lawful character. You guys frequently forget that lawful, in D&D/PF, has nothing to do with government.

the answer is AS ALWAYS
depends on why YOUR CHARACTER is lawful
not all lawful characters actually care about THE law they care about A law or set of laws
as always some sperglords are gonna pretend that alignments are fucking retardedly restrictive when they arent

Ugh. This is why I pick CN.

>Say goblin fortress, Under whos jurisdiction is that? The goblins laws?

Yep. By the way, Goblin laws declare your continued existence illegal. Where is your alignment now?

Right of conquest. I beat him so I can take his land/riches/women. Is Good/Evil though? Depends on the exact circumstance.

No, but you probably won't instantly lose your alignment for doing it a few times.

Amen to that!

as long as they can't protest you or see you, doesn't matter.

If they can identify you, lawful means you would be taking a blow to your conscious, do as you will

"I invoke my right to tithes and payment from a defeated combatant"

He asked if it was Lawful. Not if it was Lawful Good.

A Lawful character would take into account local jurisdictions and try to see if the loot in question falls under free reign somehow.

If the body does not fall under any jurisdiction, the character might see that as a legal loophole to exploit in a trial.

If the local jurisdiction has laws on salvaging, a lawful character might use those to his/her advantage, and claim that the act was not theft.

If the character has political clout with a local authority, they may decide to steal anyway, under the circumstance that they are capable of getting a "Not Guilty" in court, (Which techically makes the action not theft!)

Being Lawful typically indicates that you work with a system. (A Lawful Evil character is constantly exploiting it)

Depends.

do you have a warrant, Paladin?

>"PALADINS" is filmed on location with the men and women of Law enforcement. All suspects are innocent until proven Evil.

Is it against the law?

"tithes" is pronounced like titties, "ti-fehs", right?