/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

D&D 5th Edition General Discussion

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

Old Thread: Have you ever played a game set in the Elemental Plane of Air?

Other urls found in this thread:

sageadvice.eu/2015/12/21/are-fighter-champion-improved-critical-hits-like-a-normal-20/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Have you ever played a game set in the Elemental Plane of Air?
No, but I have journeyed there. Pic related was my character - a summoner.

quick on the draw

What skill proficiencies would best represent a Lawyer with all their levels in Warlock?

Migrating this to new thread cause I just missed it.

Currently playing a bladelock. Game started as low magic but is available now. So currently 4 Fighter 1 Warlock. Currently have GWF and a greatsword, the question is would it be better to get to Fighter 6 before putting more points into Warlock to get GWM and Extra Attack or Should I go right into Warlock and stop with fighter? The hope is eventually either 4/16 or 6/14.

(Wisdom) Amorality

>Elemental Plane of Air

No.

>Elemental Plane of Water

Oh christ I've been there a few times.

Deception, Insight, Investigation, Perception, Performance, Persuasion

>Currently playing a bladelock

Deception
Investigation
Sleight of Hand
Persuasion

The Adventurer's League session that I attended had magic item cards for the DM to print out on cardstock and give to players. Does anybody have them in PDF form?

Some people just want to feel cool, bro.

Don't bother. The new season is getting rid of the certs in exchange for log entries for everything.

>What skill proficiencies would best represent a Lawyer with all their levels in Warlock?

History, Investigation. Why you are playing a lawyer in a fucking fantasy RPG is beyond retarded though.

> you will never be a powerful necromancer who spares a young girl from a village you attack with undead and train her to be a loyal bodyguard for you and be the only human you care for tenderly, before one day when you have achieved ultimate power and she is hoping to find her place in your new kingdom you promise her a land tract of her own, and bring her into your inner chambers for a bestowing ceremony with all of your zombie and skeleton warriors in attendance. Then you tell her that true power is reserved only for you, and smash her ankle with your staff. She tries to limp away but the undead quickly overtake her, their claws raking lines down her pale flesh. She screams and falls into the horde. The zombies crawl over her, hungrily gnawing on her face, throat, and breasts. The skeletons stab her over and over with their scimitars, making sure to aim for non-vital places to prolong the agony. Eventually, almost nothing is left, her torso fades into a mass of gore, while her once-shapely legs and hips are gone entirely. The blood pools on the obsidian floor, and the skeletons and zombies slip on it as they continue their feast. Eventually her screams turn to gurgles, and you cast some of the only healing magic you know to keep her alive as long as possible, until all that is left is her head, trailing veins as the entire rest of her body has been devoured. You reanimate her head with necromancy and place it into a jar of acid which you refresh every 24 hours. You also set a contingency spell to cast Healing on her head every few hours to keep her alive so that she is constantly suffering for the duration of your reign as king of the undead.

Is there a premade campaign with timeskips?

You never really get to use the crafting system.

playing a warlock lawyer in D&D sounds dope.

Out of the Abyss has an unspecified amount of downtime at the halfway point.

>You never really get to use the crafting system.

There's a reason for that.

Necromancy sure is great! Right guys?

Litigation Trickster you pleb

>you will never...

How do you get the most out of a 3 level Fighter dip for Champion's increased crit range?

Do unarmed strikes count towards it?
Ranger for Multi Attack + Horde Breaker?
Great Weapon master?
Dual Wielding?

Basically I'm trying to maximise sheer number of attack rolls.

Investigation, history. Get the persuasion/deception invocation. Don't dump your INT.

Barbarian for Reckless Attack. 19-20 crit range with advantage is a 19% crit rating. Grab GWM to get a bonus action attack and have advantage and extra crit reduce the impact of that -5 to-hit. Be a half-orc with a greataxe for those big crits.

if you really want to be a crit fisher just stay with fighter. thats going to treat you best.

barbarian for brutal critical is okay, but i've run the numbers, and iirc, its not really better than just having more attacks.

crit smiting is really, really powerful. so if you want you can go paladin and be an absolute madman sometimes. champion doesn't have spell slots (obviously) so watch out.

Is it reasonable to put a limit to short rests? Like after taking two short rests you cannot benefit from them anymore until after you take a long rest

What kind of game are you in where taking 3 or more short rests in a day is a common thing?

It's better to just make encounters where they can't short rest reliably. Make patrols or monsters that roam around the area. If the players manage to make a safe spot for themselves, they deserve to have a rest, in my opinion. It's up to you to create an environment where they are unable to get any peace of mind.

Between a built-for-flavor Lore Bard with highest scores in Int and Cha, and a similar Fiendlock, who would win in a court case?

Between the two, who would win in a fight?

Anybody else get the Tome of Beasts? The book itself seems pretty awesome, but whatever they printed it with is giving me a headache...

Also has anybody listed the monsters in it by type? My group is gonna go to the Feywild soon and I wanna be ready with a hexcrawl of death...

Random Encounters ftw.

I think it's reasonable for creatures to roam around an area, especially if it's an ooze or something in search of food. Sentient creatures, such as guards, should always be patrolling an area unless they are put on watch duty at a specific spot.

It's not really random unless the DM just magically spawns enemies. You can't expect to rest in an hour in a goblin's lair if the goblins are being active in their own lair. It's very reasonable to expect them to have things to do and wander about.

Random in the idea that the DM has a table that he rolls on to determine what happens. I only use them in certain dungeons and wilderness locales, however.

Are there any magical weapons/armor/items that let you attack with your hands at increased damage? I found out the Demon Armor in the DMG but was wondering if there were similar items.

Don't think so, but you can make them fairly easily.

There are some in PotA. They give you better punching and a burrowing speed--basically you become Knuckles.

Insignia of the Claw is a magic item from HotDQ that basically is a +X item for fists and natural weapons (since it is low-level, it is a +1 in that book). Theoretically, a custom item that casts Alter Self would also work.

Oooo, and Claws of the Umber Hulk from Princes of the Apocalypse! Basically act as a 1d8 slashing weapon that are your hand-claws, and also gives you both a 20-ft burrow speed and the ability to burrow through solid rock 1 foot per round!

Rope trick.
Bam, sleeping in a goblin's lair.

>20ft burrow speed

There are some people who, if you put this on them, would burrow through the earth faster than they could walk on land.

Bulette campaign when

Those things are brutal for their CR. Multiple ones can destroy even much higher level characters so quickly with their jump shit.

Guys, how do I keep the DM from pulling us into his magical realm?

Literally all of the girls we end up interacting with are lolis or futas.

How do I break it to him?

How in the world would would you discern a fucking futa in a D&D game? Are you playing some stupid erotica shit?
Is your DM throwing stuff like pic related at you?

punch him. hard.

or talk to him like an adult. then punch him.

Any good Artificer homebrews out there?

He mentions bulges, and our visits to the slave market.

Sadly he lives 3 states away and we are doing this on skype.

>He mentions bulges
What. The fuck.
Abandon that shit.

>He mentions bulges, and our visits to the slave market.
Leave his Roll20 game and block him on Skype.

Talk to him on skype and tell him "Dude, no, keep perverted stuff out of the game"

He's a good friend though, and the rest of our campaign is actually loads of fun... and the other people seem into it.

Maybe I'm just the odd man out here.

this guy has the right idea. no game is better than a bad game.

talk to him first, say its stupid, fetishy, and just god awful uncomfortable(this coming from a futa fan. keep your fetishes to yourselves people). if he doesnt change bounce the fuck out

Alright well, just say that you're not comfortable with him inserting sexual stuff into the campaign and would like to play something a bit more vanilla, a campaign in the missionary position, lights off, for the sole purpose of recreation.

outted myself as a futafag. ill just take my user tag and see myself out...

>and the other people seem into it
>bulges
Link this gif to them. It's relevant.

Yea the first time i fought one was with a party of four level fours.

I was a paladin with a bard, bladesinger, and a monk. Almost one shot the singer and bard with it's leap and I chugged a potion of growth to tank it while they got away. We ended up killing it, but I was at 1hp because of my half-orc race ability.

The fucking bard killed it with some hurtful word cantrip or something that dealt 1d4 damage by calling it a bitch.

>bulges
Yikes.

What the fuck is the campaign about that that shit makes sense?

Everyone seems to have jumped on the futa, there was like one futa.

Everyone else seems to be lolis or loli like.

Maybe I'm just being drawn into a collective magical realm.

Well there can be legitimate reasons for children being around.
There is very very little reason to point out a fucking bulge.

For instance, you might have something like pic related as a young sorcerer or warlock, given those D&D 5e classes may have their powers manifest at essentially any age.

What's the best way to go about making something like the Master Thrower from 3.5?

>Maybe I'm just being drawn into a collective magical realm.
damn

Battle Master or Champion that only uses throwing weapons?

Battlemaster is going to be the better choice.

Battlemaster is the INTERESTING choice

Suck your DMs cock. No thrown weapons have the ammunition property so even if you pick up a feat you won't be able to draw more than 2 in a round.

With this in mind, RAW you would probably be best off playing a rogue x/battle master 3.

It's also the mathematically more optimal choice.

Because it rains magic items if you roll good on loot tables?

Just note for a moment, I believe I recall that one of the Sage Advice errata stated that critting on a 19 does not mean an automatic hit, and if for whatever reason, your 19 + mods doesn't meet or exceed the target AC, you still miss. Only a natural 20 is an autohit.

Normally, with bounded accuracy, that doesn't mean much, but stacking with GWM could potentially see that happening.

I need someone to point where should I READ NIGGA READ:
Where the devil is standart bandit statblock?

one with a warlock

It's the opposite. sageadvice.eu/2015/12/21/are-fighter-champion-improved-critical-hits-like-a-normal-20/

A critical hit is always a hit.

Check the appendix. One is of animals, the other is of NPCs.

MM 343.

Yes I was considering adding patrols, also which page of the DMG has the rules for wandering monsters?

Thief Rogue 3+ (for Use an Object to draw multiple weapons as a bonus action) / Battlemaster Fighter 11+, with the Close Quarters Shooter Fighting Style from the Underdark UA (or Archery or Dueling if it isn't available) and preferably Martial Adept as one of your feats.

Alternatively, a Fighter 11+ or anyone else with access to 3 attacks could use Magic Stone every round instead.

Random Encounters, DMG pg. 85.

The important part about critical hits comes from attacks that become critical hits.

With either the Assassin's ability, paralysis, or being unconscious, a successful hit becomes a critical hit. Note that only applies to attacks that actually hit, though it is fairly likely when you also have advantage...

So anything that makes you get a critical when you roll a 19 or an 18 is an automatic hit, but conditions that convert hits into critical hits have to first beat the AC.

>DM puts us through some amazing encounters while we're out exploring.
>Orcs that track us, Owlbears that relentlessly followus through the night until we're forced to deal with it, Ghouls that tried to drag us into the woods to feast on us in the middle of the night
>Thought it was all amazingly done
>Running my own game
>Reading through the module myself
>Shocked to find out that EVERY single one of them was a random encounter

How do I git gud at wandering encounters to make it seem like they were pre-planned?

I stand corrected.

Not sure. You can just make the patrols yourself. It wouldn't be hard.

Assign each mob or group of mobs with a path, and makes them go along that path. They move 5 feet every round. If it's not a combat situation, just roughly calculate how long it'd take them to make a round of patrol but also add in a 5 minute break or so.

You need imagination. The best DM's have amazing imaginations and creative potential.

If you really purely on example charts, you'll never think of creative encounters. The examples given are just there to give you ideas. It's up to you to expand on them.

There's a big difference between owlbears stalking you all night long and make you feel uneasy as you hear twigs snap but can't see anything, as opposed to just
>An owlbear steps out of the woods while you try to rest. Roll initiative.

Depends. Champ is better for dips and in combination with magic(such as elemental weapons and anything that adds damage dice).

Expanding crit range is a huge deal in 5e, it's quite common with advantage.

It's not actually a huge deal most of the time since it only multiplies damage dice, which tend to be fairly low with only a few exceptions like rogue, ranger, high-level barbarian, and paladin. And even then, you're expanding your normal crit range by 5%. That's not large.

>Expanding crit range is a huge deal in 5e
As compared to any other system that grants a base 5% chance to crit?

Expanding crit range to 19 makes the probability of criting on advantage go from 10 to 20 percent; doubling your chances of seeing a crit. That's really good considering how well it scales for just 3 levels.

There's plenty of magic weapons, spells and items that give damage dice. Half-orc Paladin with a champ dip and two elemental long swords/Javs of Lightning is a classic; toss on enlarge, poisons and he'll demolish with his smites.

lmao no

Not really, but absent a really bizarre group composition it shouldn't be necessary. Outside of fighters and warlocks shorts are mostly just a chance to cash in hit dice. If it's getting to be a problem you might want to check the tuning on fight difficulty, healing access, and expectations. Your players may just be conditioned to expect a surprised mega-ambush out of nowhere and assume it's their responsibility to keep themselves in peak condition at all times.

That's fine if you want that, but it's not really how 5e is set up to play. The guideline is 2-3 fights per short and 8 per long, so if you're too far off from that it might behoove you to sit your players down and ask something like "We seem to be taking a lot of short rests compared to what the module suggests. Is something weird going on?" It helps a lot more than it sounds like it would.

"So, let me explain why we're cancelling the game...."

One of my players loves Magic Missile as a spell, but can't justify using it as often as he would like. Rather than just make sure a Wand of Magic Missiles falls into his grip early, would making a homebrew cantrip be all that overpowered?

Cantrip Evocation (Sorcerer, Wizard)
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 120 feet
Components: VS
Duration: Instantaneous

You create one glowing dart of magical force that deals 1d4 + 1 force damage to its target.
The spell's generates an additional dart at level 5, and again at levels 11 and 17. Each dart hits a creature of your choice that you can see within range The darts all strike simultaneously, and you can direct them to hit one creature or several.

A bad warlock, maybe. Warlocks shouldn't be running through spell slots that quickly unless they're running some seriously sub-optimal strategies.

I don't suppose it's that bad--though at 11th it becomes equivalent to an at-will 1st-level spell.

Considering the minimal damage, it's unlikely to break anything. I say go for it.

Magic missile isnt that different from sacred flames autohit, and eldritch blasts multi target. So its easy to compare to that basically
Yours is doing weak autohit die, but gains a plus one, and theres no save. I might lower the range. Its not pverly strong to do 4d4+4 each turn, but theres no way for hogh ac/low hp ennemies to avoid it, and certain class abilities may up the cantrips damage

As a counterpoint, Firebolt is 3d10 at level 11 which is equal in power if not more than level 1 spells. Eldrich Blast is 3 bolts of 1d10, only a little weaker than Scorching Ray. So yeah, I'd agree and say go for it. I mean dropping a wand early isn't a huge deal ultimately but I'm always a big fan of players coming up with their own cantrip or spell to really define their characters style.

In our game our Sorcerer designed a cantrip that the DM approved, I'm unsure of the specifics but I think it's something like..

As part of this spell, make a melee weapon attack. If it hits the target takes Spellcasting-mod Lightning damage and you teleport to a square adjacent to the target. Damage increases 1d8 at 5th, 11th and 17th.

i created a similar cantrip that still requires an attack roll but deals triple the damage on a crit and fires multiple darts to avoid the spell being an at will magic missle. so far it feels a little underpowered but the crit hits are definitely noticed. thinking about adding more abilities that increase the crit range or reroll 1s or something to balance out its poor damage.

>As part of this spell, make a melee weapon attack. If it hits the target takes Spellcasting-mod Lightning damage and you teleport to a square adjacent to the target.

>*unsheathes katana* *teleports behind you* nothing personnel kid

Evocation Wizards will get +Int to damage, which is the only problematic one I see since Sorcerers can't get Force-dragon type. A 11th level Evoker with 20INT will be hurling out minor-missile doing an automatic 3d4+18 damage automatically hitting compared to Eldrich-Blasts 3d10+15 but rolling to hit. Slightly earlier but less common might be an 8th level Arcane-Doman Cleric.

Ultimately though, even 3d4+18 isn't oppressively powerful compared to throwing out a leveled spell like Fireball.

meh just specify it doesn't benefit from +mod abilities per dart, just once.

It was more a "Hammer of Thunderbolts" kind of thing on a Dwarf Sorcerer two-handing a warhammer but yeah, I totally see the edge.

To be fair, There isn't any real harm in Evoker Wizards being able to use the Cantrip particularly well, EB is already the "Mechanically correct choice." So throwing a different one in isn't going to make a huge difference. If they want to use Firebolt they will use Firebolt, if they want to use Magic missiles let em.

i think auto hit cantrip is a bad idea anyway