/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General: Here Be Giants Edition

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>Old thread
SKT is officially printed and shipping! twitter.com/Wizards_DnD/status/765678998319800320

Official release September 6th, expect August 31st for WPN stores.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/sH_6iFYiryY
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JIrEV1RFv6yxWEdqG6zP3z-ZONDTacquGyqYj8G-CdE/edit#gid=1769534668
brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=394.msg8049#msg8049
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Working on a plain jane blank slate straightforward Sorcerer archetype in the same vein as Champion Fighter.

Main class ability would be Improved Spell Critical: Crit on spell attacks increased to 19-20.

Maybe a Recharge feature like creatures get, but for spell slots.

Additionaly Meta Magic perhaps?

Thinking something along the lines of Paragon or Exemplar bloodline. Like a direct descendant of an Epic Hero of the Ages type.

QUICK, GIVE ME STATS ON THE FIRE GIANT ROBOT

Maybe more generic a question than a 5E one, but is Chessex the way to go for dice? They're certainly the most common, and I don't need anything fancy, but is there a better way to go in a vaguely similar price range? Yes, I'm a newfag to RL Veeky Forumsing.

I usually play the trickster type and need to roll up another character.

I don't want to repeat myself and be the guy that always plays X type of character.

What can I roll that rewards imaginative thinking and dubious morals?

>tfw you want to add a mad science antagonist type whose culmination would be a magic-enhanced clockwork robot
I'm thinking of not letting it get flight to tone it down a little, with the idea that flight is still something the creator has yet to figure out, it would also not be intelligent, just well programmed.

I don't know if there is a specific "way to go", but Chessex does a good job all-around. Really, the most important thing for you when deciding what dice to get is which ones interest you.

Take a giant.
Give it fire immunity.
Make its hits do fire damage and give it a weak point/social cheese that allows the players to attack it somewhere other than head on.

Bard or Feylock?

user why would anyone want to attack the fire giant robot when they could kill its masters and use it to fight everyone else

In addition to , Ranger and Rogue

Make it like an Amazo ripoff, it can copy any spell cast on it like a very powerful wizard, but limit its ability to prepare and cast based on its level. Add immunity to a magical element based on what it's using, under the pretense hitting something that absorbs magic while it's casting a fire spell only redirects your power to the spell.

Su
Per
Man
>Robot proceeds to destroy the town because the masters didn't label any of the controls.

That sounds great, so essentially a beefier version of that TOEE spell that does the same? Absorb element or something?

Can the giant robot be piloted? My decision to buy this adventure hinges on it.

>Use the geass spell
>Who wants to go dragon hunting motherfuckers?!

Define 'piloted'.

Do you want to sit inside a control room in the robot and operate peddles and levers?
Ride on top of its head or on its shoulder while shouting commands?
Stand on the ground in the distance and operate it by remote control?

>wolf gets advantage if an ally is within 5 ft
If I park a familiar on the wolf, would it get advantage whenever it attacks?

youtu.be/sH_6iFYiryY

Let me put an example, in Anima you can start with a guy who moves at mach 1 and can lift 50 tons, create earthquakes when he hits the ground and jump hundreds of meters. All of this barely at 3rd level (arguably you can do it at 2nd level).
You can also play Sasuke and copy all techniques enemies use on you with your sharingan, and every turn you fight against a dude you get bonuses because you're "learning and anticipating" his moves.
Etc

It's ok if you like 5e, I also do, but 5e can't do everything, specially not high fantasy anime games.

One or two would be best, but so long as it's controllable I'm happy.

So I guess still no word about mystic huh?

Are there character options in said book?

Make a potion dealer.
In exchange for a small hook event/favor he rewards them with a powerful potion.
It gives an amazing boost for one encounter.
Then when it wears off it gives them a stat drain that's "some bullshit user."
When they go back to the potion maker he offers another potion that can fix the stat drain instantly, for free. Then offers various other potions to the players.

The players now think they are getting i win buttons for a logical price.
It's actually some dark magic demon shit and they're slowly being corrupted by making deals with this guy, but are too distracted with the perceived cost and gains to figure it out.

>can start with a guy who moves at mach 1 and can lift 50 tons, create earthquakes when he hits the ground and jump hundreds of meters
Eagle Barbarian, done, wasn't that hard.

yo Veeky Forums I went ahead and made a campaign, but it's missing things to temp the more impulsive players and cause the party to quarrel. Shit like possible cursed items/chests, shady people offering quest rewards that are to good to be true, such and such. Any body got a few ideas off the top of their heads?

Thanks, remade the post because I forgot to actually include a question.

That are readily-available for players and not stuff like magic items that DMs can throw in? Probably not.

Keep in mind champion is bad and that you shouldn't model it to the degree where it becomes the strictly worst sorc archetype and I can see it working. It does sound a bit like draconic though, tougher, stronger, better in various ways and you do more damage with spells.

No problem, also the corruption can take the form of those stat drains coming back if they refuse a deal from a demon, or from being in contact with holy items.

Postin' for other people's use - this is a good archetype and is officially balanced!

This too. Not as good as the imp, but on par with quasit and sprite.

>Champion is bad
Get a load/ of this guy.

Maybe add some situations where looting or stealing from innocents would be both easy and very profitable

If you've got anyone in your group playing a moralistic character that should incite some conflict

Well, it's boring.

Are you implying a barbarian is strong enough to break down a wooden door held in place by a goblin, let alone life 50 tons or create earthquakes?

Boring and bad are not the same thing.

Wot4E monks is varied and mechanically interesting, but is bad.

Champion is bad until level fucking 18.

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JIrEV1RFv6yxWEdqG6zP3z-ZONDTacquGyqYj8G-CdE/edit#gid=1769534668

And even then battlemaster still does far more damage while bringing more utility.

That's more reasonable, though if you've got a lot of opportunity for roleplay, it becomes a less boring character to play. Basically, if you're making a champion, make sure you do a good job of breaking down doors (over a monster's head) and leaping over pits (for leaping slash). Put high charisma and woo the ladies, or whatever.

A Barb couldn't even break down a wooden door WITHOUT a goblin holding it, come on.

Watch out, someone might pull the 'mother may I?' argument out on you. Because y'know, everything has to be codified with a specific action or rule tied to it or else you can't do it, right?

The problem with this approach is anyone also playing a more interesting class can do the same shit just as well.

>WARNING: CASTER/MARTIAL DISPARITY TALK
There's nothing particular about the Fighter class that lends itself to unique object/world interaction that a Paladin or Cleric couldn't, let alone a Wizard if you're fine with needing to roll a whopping TWO points higher on a physical check. While a Champion is supposed to be a SUPERIOR ATHLETE, half of that ability's functionality doesn't even work, and a Battlemaster could at least argue their maneuvers should be useable out of combat (Menacing Blow without hitting someone to strike fear into them, Pushing Attack to knock an object outta the fuckin' park). Champion's only got jumping slightly better, and that's both niche and bad. Skill checks as a means of doing "interesting things" both in and out of character are terrible for solving this problem since there's no barrier that prevents casters from utilizing them, but you do simply have martial classes/archetypes with no spell slots.
>IT IS NOW SAFE TO READ THE REST OF THE POST

>wooing with Charisma
Any DM that says you can't pick up chicks with your 20/16/20 Fighter because their Cha is 10 needs to get the fuck out.

1d4 damage

>16 dex
Fuck that.
I'm not wasting ability scores on that shit - 10 dex, heavy armor all the way. If I want initiative I'll take fuckin' Alert.

uh oh Bob, looks like you rolled a 1, Rothgar bounces feebly off the wooden door and starts sobbing on the ground
Now for Jimminy the Sickly Wizard's attempt. A high roll, he smashes the door to pieces!

this is probably 100% right. actually probably it doesnt even have the second half of this post
strahd was just a vampire.

>your greataxe attack does not overcome the door's HP or harness, and so the blade gets stuck in the rotting wood
>malfestio the wizard casts his fire bolt cantrip and deals a whopping four damage, which is clearly enough to send the door flying into flaming toothpicks

But Dex saves are great.
Shit, my Fighter's got Resilient: Dex and Wis on top of Shield Master. I cannot be fucking stopped by any means.

>Resilient: Dex and Wis
Bruh.
I hate to break this to you but...

Gonna be starting up a new group for D&D. Really want to start with a modified Death Frost Doom for 5e, just because it so easily sets up a campaign in the aftermath. Do any of the actual 5e modules make for a really great campaign start?

>resilient dex AND wisdom

user...

>Resilient: Dex and Wis
i just wanted to get in on saying user I...

Lost Mines is great.

Lost Mines is praised for that a lot. I'm actually in a Death Frost Doom campaign now, been running for 2 years and the world is still going to shit so it's working quite well. It's not like it's very hard to convert, though I wasn't the one to do it.

Only a faggot would have a problem with taking this feat multiple times for different attributes.

Should I grab Ritual Caster(Wizard) for my Moon Druid?

Lessen the Wizard workload.

>Only a faggot would have a problem with taking any feat multiple times as long as it doesn't stack
FTFY. Seriously, why can't I have an extra die for taking martial adept for the second time, or 3 more skills from skilled, more languages from Linguist etc? Most feats that give non-stacking bonuses suck anyway.

No. It's not worth it. Ritual Caster is not a very good feat.

kek

If you have a wizard, they should get every ritual spell there is already, not sure what you mean by lessening the workload.

perfection

The rules state that the only feats you can take multiple times are the ones that explicitly state that you can.

There's only one feat that says that. It's not resilient.

Mearls would be totally OK with it, though. He may be a fag but he's not a faggot. Crawford is the guy who's going to explicitly disallow multiples of Resilient or what said
>wah only that elemental spell thing can be taken multiple times

I actually think it makes perfect sense that you can't take Resilient multiple times. It should be hard to get more saving throw proficiencies.

Oh, ok. That makes sense.
Deck of many things is a great way to get the one sane party member to premetively kill any chaotic stupid members before they can use it. (Least, it's the only time I've ever gotten involved in PVP.)

my big problem with "see my guy is badass with this feat setup" is that if the feat setup isn't legal by RAW it means your chances of getting it are highly diminished, since it means you go from saying "I take this" to "DM could you let me take this".

Indeed. Then the Rogue ability to get Wisdom becomes a significant thing, the only one (besides Monks who get everything, including death saves) who can get the big three all covered.

Just be a Paladin and get what is essentially proficiency in all saves. Or a Monk and ACTUALLY get proficiency in all saves.

Seriously, what level are we operating at that we think everyone's grabbing 2-3 bonus save proficiencies? The majority of classes only get five chances to do that, and it has to be balanced against the benefits of gaining +2 to a stat or +1 to two. Every frontliner should want to burn 3-4 of these on maxing out their Str/Dex and Con, casters are looking for Dex and Wis/Int/Cha.

It's a unique class feature of monk that they eventually get proficiency in all saving throws.

I don't think you should be able to take resilient multiple times myself either desu.

monk 14, paladin 6

Forgot about the deck, thanks man, that's the kind of party conflict I wanna see.

So why exactly can the bladelock not bond with a sentient or artifact weapon? It seems arbitrary especially when EKs can bond with 2 of them.

Add on to this that nearly every group fizzles before the non-Fighters get their third ASI. Almost no one is playing level 12 games. This simply isn't a concern.

most the people in /5eg/ don't actually play

they just spend their time min maxing characters to level 20 that they'll never play (and if they did ever get to play, wouldn't make it past level 6~) and sperging about shit that doesn't happen like what yall are discussing

???
i'm going to a game in an hour, that i go to every week

then you're not most the people in 5eg

sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeit
also checked
thats sad that most of us aren't in games. i wouldn't want to play with most of the posters here, but a lot of them seem pretty cool.

First time playing DnD as a wizard, wondering what feats/skills/specializations (or lack thereof) to choose so i won't get totally btfo

i'm playing as NG so i figured i'd just be kind of a go-along guy and try to stay insulated from getting buttfucked while keeping my party alive for the most part.

i was thinking about being an abjurer but there's so much info to go through i can't really see an endgame for any specialization, and im a noob so i dont really know what kind of situations im going to be in

When are we getting player option i want to see them in official book

I just had a game earlier today and will be doing another session friday. I also have 20 characters that I'll probably never get to play, though in my defense they aren't "pally 6/bladelock 14" but actual characters. Still, arguably a bit autistic.

>Eagle Barb
Can't even move at 100 kmph
Can't even lift 3 tons
Can't even jump 30 ft
Can't even push back a dude 10 ft, less create an earthquake

>done
Not done
>wasn't that hard
What? not accomplishing even 1% of what an Anima character can do?

Max int. Take Alert. Then take Lucky/Resilient (Constitution)/Warmage as your last feats if you make it that far.

Would Barkskin work with the Barbarians unarmored defense?

Barkskin makes your AC 16 if it's lower than that.

That's all it does. So unless your unarmored defense is lower: no.

what about concentration?

Hello!
My players are interested in hiring trainers to teach them proficiency in a skill, and sometimes to acquire feats.
How long should it take for them to learn proficiency in a skill/gain a feat, and how much should it cost?

3 skills should equal the price for 1 feat, for reference. And it should take 3 times the time it takes to learn a skill to learn a feat. I know this because of the Skilled feat, which just gives you proficiency in three things.

>/Resilient (Constitution)/Warmage

No, but I think Mage Armour or Dragon Bloodline Sorc's natural armour do.

^
Lucky also would let you reroll a concentration check.

Those don't either. If something gives you another AC calculation, you choose which you use. You don't stack them.

So with mage armor, a barbarian can either use 13 + Dex, or 10 + Con + Dex.

specialization ideas? or should i just go general for my first time?

theres already a conjurer in my party

I think it depends on the skill, and arguably on the method of training and talent of said trainer.
Dumping a character on a deserted island for a couple weeks and telling them to stay alive could reasonably get them Survival proficiency, for example. But Arcana might take months of dedicated study.

There is no generalist wizard school in 5e if that's what you mean.
Divination and illusion (if you're going to reach level 14) are the most optimal schools in the game for sheer general power and utility, but none of the wizard schools are actually *bad*.

Yeah; I'm about to start two online games, and in a month and a half a new game will start where *fucking gasp* I get to be a player for the first time in five years.

They should all reasonably take the same amount of time, since three skills equals one feat. There is no need to overcomplicate things by giving each skill a different time/cost.

>and in a month and a half a new game will start where *fucking gasp* I get to be a player for the first time in five years.
guarantee you it falls apart before it even starts

I will admit that it is a possibility. The DM...well. He's shit, and wholly convinced he's God's gift to DMing and his ideas are perfect and his shit doesn't stink.

But, it's an opportunity to play. When it falls apart--which it will--I have another campaign almost ready to start.

i think we're playing 3.5

also it's a level 1 wizard so i just need ideas for starting feats

Why?

>i think we're playing 3.5
Then why are you asking for help in a 5e thread?

Shouldn't you be in a 3.5 thread then senpai?
If you're a wizard in 3.5, you're pretty much gonna be a god no matter what you do as long as you pick the right spells.

Here's a list of non-shit spells in 3.5 for you by school.
brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=394.msg8049#msg8049