>using any edition of D&D for...

>a "political intrigue" game
>a kingdom management game Birthright and Pathfinder's domain rules are ass
>a social talky talky game
>an investigation game
>a horror game

>a mix of any of the above

Why do ignorant retards do this?

Because my group refuses to play anything else.

>somebody tries running a game like that in D&D
>they start bitching about how their players always resort to combat
>mfw

Every time. And every time the excuses are the same. It's either "But don't want to learn something new!" or the shit GM who makes combat the best solution and is then surprised when everyone takes it.

Pathfinder domain rules, what is wrong with them? I have not heard much about them either way

Because 3 of the 5 things you've brought up aren't buttressed by mechanics, but by roleplay, thematics and presentation.
The rest can be done by a competent GM and a party that is involved and invested.
I am no fan of D&D, but OP, you are a shitlord of the highest caliber. Take your badwrongfun and kill yourself with it, if you kindly.

While "have you tried not playing D&D" is an obnoxious meme around here, this really is where it's most applicable: if your GM is interested in running "political intrigue" or something that deals in nation building, you're probably best set looking for systems actually designed to do those things

The best kingdom is literally just a SINGLE city in a SINGLE hex with nothing but banks, banks, banks, banks, banks, and some mills.

>5th Edition
>You have to make up all the rules anyways, so it doesn't matter
I stopped giving a shit at some point, mostly.
Pretty much this.
>"Man, user, Legends of the Wulin looks like a great system!"
"Alright, who wants to make characters for a game so we can all learn it?"
>(Deafening Silence)
The number of people who want to play a non-d20 system are offensively low.

What systems are actually designed to do political intrigue, social talky games, and how does having mechanics for it rather than just straight role playing it out add to the game?

What system has good kingdom management rules?

While D&D isn't the best choice for a horror themed game, I'd say it's perfectly worakble at low levels as that's when your PC's are at the most vulnerable.

>*is
Fuck, I need my caffeine.
Also, for future reference, what IS a good political intrigue game, excluding complete freeform?
I've been a ForeverGM so long for fantasy murderhobo games I've sadly started to instinctively limit myself to them.

Godbound :^)

Song of Ice and Fire RP can do all that.

Though I made a rules lite version, cus 1 or 2 bits of the more advanced rules can get a bit convoluted.

Except that RPG's mechanics are dildoes and make success at epic feats waaaaaaaaaaay too easy.

>bait for eternally-triggered trolls to flock to

God, these threads are so pathetic, it's not even funny.

>wah, I like to lie about what a system can't and can't do, why does no one that matters listen to me!!!
>maybe if I shitpost enough and spam threads filled with my bullshit, and I can attract enough faggots who hate the game like I do, we can get people to stop playing the game we're telling them they can't play

Here's a hint. You can't, you won't, and it just makes it sad watching how bitter you are and how convinced you are that you're right, when everyday people prove you wrong just for you to start the cycle anew.

Well there's Kingdom RPG. Which is made for political intrigue and kingdom management as far as I can tell.

Has anyone actually played it and want to chime in? An rpg designed around kingdom management instead of it being tacked on as an after thought seems like it could be cool.

>calls it bait
>still falls for the bait
>spends an entire post trying as hard as possible to maintain an air of superiority despite still having fallen for shit tier bait

Who's actually eternally-triggered and pathetic here? Because from the sidelines, you look just as "pathetic".

I know your games, amanojaku.

>troll falling for a counter troll

He's right when he called you fucking pathetic.

Please go.

Here, I'll post a compressed pdf I have laying around.

Can't really speak for quality, just nabbed it from a PDF share thread after people in the thread said it was hard to find, and I have a bad case of "Better save that thing so it's not lost to the hubris of the information age."

Thanks man.

>>an investigation game
My players manage to pull this off well. We do it in a superhero game if that changes anything.

>Song of Ice and Fire RP

A perfect example why you and OP are full of shit.

Want to prove that there are some things that work worse when you try to apply rules to them? Enjoy the retarded dating sim mechanics of A Song of Idiots and Faggotry, which are somehow supposed to represent complex politics and human interactions.

Basically, thank you for killing this thread dead with your stupid recommendation.

Of course.

>Mfw when an adult can kill almost anyone in 1 hit and knock them down using the Bludgeon fighter qaulities

Well maybe we can move on from shit tier RPGs made to hop onto the Game of Floppy Wang bandwagon, and look at another suggestion made in the thread before calling it dead.

lol calm down, why do you have to be so mad?

Can you refer me to a set of good kingdom management rules?

I'm in a 4e game using a kitbash of Pathfinders, taken alongside a heavy pinch of salt and with a lot of fudging to make it, y'know, reasonable. A better option would be great.

Sucks man. LotW is really great. I hope you can find a game at some point.

You mean suggestions that are worse?

The fuck is wrong with you? You come here pretending you're here to help, and then you just advertise garbage systems with awful rules that make silly mini-games out of narrative considerations.

What makes you so retarded? What do you do, eat toothpaste or some shit?

Uh, did you actually look at Kingdom RPG? It's mostly discussion driven stuff that you could add on top of D&D. I was calling the Song of Ice and Fire one shit in case your reading comprehension is so poor that you decided to start throwing a temper tantrum because you thought I was insulting your precious D&D rulebook.

Shit doesn't even start to describe it.
It's real fucking embarrassing when a game puts so much focus on something that it ultimately sucks at.

Yes, now can we more on from the shitty licensed game?

Because Kingdom, what I'm suggesting here, is something you can slot into D&D with minimal effort if you want, because the rules are largely discussion and roleplay based. I don't think there's a single rule that even requires dice or anything but talking and setting up a situation.

again, I can see what Kingdom is trying to do, but it seems a bit loose. I understand the appeal of ultra-lite rulesets like that, but I tend to prefer some crunch to get to grips with.

There's one I can think of with crunch but for the life of me I can't remember the fuckin' name. Dawn of Worlds or something like that...

Burning Wheel

Reign.

So, Liechtenstein?

Because D&D is what everyone knows, and getting ~4 people to learn a new system is like herding cats.

You'd be surprised by how much can actually largely be done with rp instead of complex rules. In fact, intrigue is arguably best done through rp.

I don't know why you'd use D&D for kingdom management, but it's easy to put light elements of fortress management into a campaign about something else.

If you need detailed rules for social interaction, you're doing it wrong. Just houserule in more interaction skills and think of situations where other stats/skills are useful. Consider using STR instead of CHA for intimidation when direct threats are used.

As for investigation, well, a short investigation-based adventure is surprisingly easy to do in D&D. A full campaign would probably end in the players getting bored of the same thing over and over though.

And while horror is difficult to do at high levels, it's easy at low and even mid levels. And horror can be about threats to NPCs as well, or just Cthulhu, so even high level characters can be out of their depth. Seriously, Ravenloft could get really creepy at times, although not as bad as CoC.

But if you wanted to do a mix, D&D might be a decent choice, as it's flexible enough to accommodate any with very little tweaking. Not the best choice, but a competent DM could make it even better.

Really, it's not the best for any of those, but it's actually pretty flexible and if you wanted a game about fantasy adventurers getting involved in one of these (except kingdom management), then it would make sense to use D&D.

Reign is good. Really top-tier shit.

That is why your GM, if they aren't incompetent, starts hitting you with reality and adds twists around having a large economic hold - but no hinterland for farms and such.

REIGN!

You're taking the internet and elf games too seriously. Where's your sense of fun?

>Tfw the only Reign GM I know left the suptg IRC for good

Thanks for reminding me, assholes.

Honestly I don't use systems for kingdom management or intrigue I just kinda use my imagination and writings

I actually quite like doing horror in D&D simply due to the sheer variety of ways there are to kill a PC in D&D

>the kitsune sorceress mind controls you, rapes you, and takes your liver!

Is this how you GM?

no, I have never included Kitsune, mind control, or rape in any of my campaigns

Red Tide an Echo Resounding is a great system for kingdom management in basic d&d though. ACKS is too fiddly for my taste but lots of folks love the system.
If you play a version where hirelings are a viable thing, then building a warband, conquering stuff and running a kingdom is a pretty logical progression for a campaign.

>no mind control

Why are you so boring?

What's your favorite mind control situation, Veeky Forums?

>why are you so boring
actually mind control is my fetish and I don't want to make things weird.

as for your other question: 2>3=4

1, 2, and 3 are all great.

Fewer rules on social interaction and investigation stuff tends to mean fewer arbitrary restrictions.
People don't strictly need rules to run that stuff in a reasonably fair and believable way.

Skill checks are even pretty unnecessary for that stuff most of the time, in terms of functionality.
Instead, they just serve the purpose of ensuring that the details on the character sheet have more of an influence, rather than having that stuff rely purely on your own real life skill/cunning.

Games desperately need rules for combat, in order for it to be/feel fair and consistent, but that doesn't necessarily hold true for every other possible thing you could think of.

So ultimately, it doesn't matter. All of those things run reasonably well in D&D for the most part.
The problem with horror, though, is that it's difficult to create a sense of horror toward something you have a reasonable chance of fighting. But there are solutions to all of these things, just like there are solutions to other games' problems. It's not some clear cut thing where people are lolretards if they use D&D for something other than dungeon crawls.

That just shows how few tabletop RPGs you've actually given a fair shake.

If your players aren't shit, their characters will be acting horrified damn near constantly.
Things like the Undead seem trite to us because they're fictional.
If you really faced one, you'd be freaked out.
Sure, your trained fighter would steel himself and fight--he's a warrior, that's what he does--but after the fight he'd probably take a minute to lose his shit, just like real world soldiers sometimes do.
Because, holy shit.
That corpse just tried to murder you.

D&D is one of the best systems for horror, I think. When you use a horror system the players get easily jaded. All you have to do to inject horror into a D&D game is introduce a monster that doesn't play by the normal rules.

Or, really, introduce any monster well.
Nothing will ever top the time I had a player tear up from fear when they sat down to the side of a gravestone and suddenly found themselves grabbed by dozens of dead hands... while they were one of only two people at the party's camp.

There was a lot of slashing damage from the clawing fingers, and the character was so traumatized that they were never really the same after that...
Ahh, memories!
I should run a D&D game sometime soon.