Walk into Games Workshop

>Walk into Games Workshop
>£20,000,000,000 for a tiny box filled with Kinder Egg plastic models
>Leave Games Workshop
I actually really want to get into Warhammer, but how do you justify the insane prices?

Also Games Workshop thread. Post your experiences with Games Workshop.

Start Collecting! Boxes.

I've never gotten into Warhammer, I've always been too poor.
One time I found a set on sale and it was still 80$
They aren't even pewter models. I can't find a good reason to buy them

I'm really happy with my last 2 local GWs.

First one was in England, manager was based as fuck, gave plenty of help, conversion ideas, tutorials, did tournaments, didn't push sales. It was really great. He did leave/got fired, halfway through my stay, I'm guessing he might have criticised the HQ too much.
Store was still pretty good after his departure though. Not as good, but still really enjoyable.

2nd one is the one I going to now, having moved to the south of France. Plenty of nice people, pretty much every regular is cool, even the younger ones. It's smaller than the last one, and there's no 30k players, but it is still a very enjoyable place.

Overall I'm really satisfied. I tend to thi k that most of thr horror stories are either exagerated most of the time or straight up false, especially since I've seen more than one called out by someone who was also a regular from the same shop or stuff like that.

>Honey what are those people doing in that shack
>Dont look dear

>Walk into vidya games store
>Gotta get the newest console to play muh games
>Mfw it's $500 for just the console, then $60 for games
>I could get a whole 40k army for that price, that has much more longevity than the $60 4-10 hour console game

How do you justify buying consoles and console games tg?

Ebay, start collecting! sets and patience.
There's no reason to start with a massive army, just build it up over the course of one or two years.

The truth is, it's not a game you're going to pick up overnight, or probably even a month if you want fully painted models. The prices are huge if you buy a bunch of boxes, and envitably never paint them, so i suggest buying 1 box and paint it to have you realize whether or not you are actually interested.

How many GWs have an actual Horus Heresy scene? Are they trying to push that now?

I have a job.

>consoles

Years back was going in games -workshop. every Friday for about to months spending between £50 - £75 each week on Warhammer Quest & my 40k armies. then the week that the Sargent for the Legion of the damed came out they where putting him out on display on the Friday. For sale on Saturday & Sunday. I asked if I could buy him or pay & pick it up the following week as only on sale that weekend I said I had my kids at the weekend get six kids on a bus for an hours trip. 6 month old twins double buggy. The manager said no I couldn't buy it. or pay to pick it up the following week.

>but how do you justify the insane prices?

Stockholm Syndrome.

after the first kidney has been sold, you'll be extolling the virtues.

(alternatively, save money, and only play necromunda, mordheim, or blood bowl, with just half a dozen models, like a beardy reactionary old git, with the only 2 people who will tolerate your presence.)

>>£20,000,000,000 for a tiny box filled with Kinder Egg plastic models
Used to be £20, but fuck the EU right?

Fuck off Eurocrat, Mozzarella is down to 60p round here cunt. If the trade off for expensive toys is cheap food you can count me in.

Let's see how long can you subsist on italian cheese, m8.

Let's see indeed.

I wish I could go into a Games Worskhop without the employees there. Jesus, Jumpin, Jehoshaphat those guys hound you the whole time.

My dad had spent about $2500 on minitures for me ... my Ultramarine army was killer ... 5 tanks
blah blah ... but None of my friends played ... i played in one tourney.. and a guy was cheating

stopped playing then

forgot to Add ... painting and Building the bunkers and shit was the best part, i mean i would have liked to play with my mates .. But no mates :(

>My dad had spent about $2500 on minitures for me
Faggot

well 16 years ago .. i was 13 .. and of course didnt have a Job... i ALWAYS wanted to get back into it .. hence im on this Board

>Leaving the EU and the CAP
>sure to bring in cheap food prices

I'd laugh, but I'm a Brit and I'm going to be in as much shit as you.

Unless food prices triple you're not in any kind of problem. I fucking hate people who whine about food prices while simultaneously spending $200 per week on going out clubbing or eating out. Food's never been so cheap, back in the 70's, you spent 40% of your money on food, 40% on rent, and the rest on booze so you could stomach your shitty family.

I can't fucking wait until locally produced food costs half what it does now and I'm not forced to eat shitty food canned in Poland any more.

>2016
>playing 40k

Playbetter games like bolt action or team yankee

>console gaming
You can't.

Bend over for your Chinese recasters Overlords

>...
What's with your typing dude

>buying games
>buying entertainment
>buying food
>buying anything

Free roaming freeganism is the way to go m8.
I'm even shitposting using a random guy's phone and free wi-fi.

>A whole army
Maybe a pansy 500 point army

Easy. I have disposable money that's not going to be spent on anything else + I enjoy the setting, game and painting...

That being said I haven't actually bought a box or played a game of even painted for several months. I have the Execution Force box and ten Blood Angel tacs sitting around on their sprues.

>Mfw it's $500 for just the console, then $60 for games
>I could get a whole 40k army for that price, that has much more longevity than the $60 4-10 hour console game
Why are you comparing the price of the console+game to a 40k army and then comparing the longevity of an army to just the game?

Most people will get more playtime out of a 60$ game

You need to know at least one person insane enough to stand on the other end of the table. If I had that, I'd jump back in.

>£20,000,000,000
C'mon, OP, it's not that bad unless you're in Straya

>back in the 70's, you spent 40% of your money on food, 40% on rent
Yeah, these days it's only 15% on food, 75% on rent.

You don't.

You can actually just play with Kinder models and make up your own roleplay. Dungeon & Dragons started because someone had toy models thatcwere do shitty they didn't resemble the dinosaurs they were supposed to be.

And if you don't have imagination just get an eight year old to use their imagination instead.

That's how you get awesome things like Axe Cop.

>Flatline wages for 50 years
>Housing bubble
>Rent bubble
>Education bubble

>And if you don't have imagination just get an eight year old to use their imagination instead.

So to harvest the imagination you just remove the head, right?

GW Lyon 1 was pretty good until the good staff fucked off or got fired. Now it's pretty much a dead shop in one of the busiest areas while other LFGS are thriving.

Same in Grenoble, except the GW actually closed, and the Hobby Shop in its place is just about the best mini-oriented game shop I've ever seen.

Not true.

The only game I can think about with such a lifetime would be SimCity4 or Civ4.

>Food's never been so cheap, back in the 70's, you spent 40% of your money on food

Guess again!

Jesus h. Emprah when I was a teen I never even got a $35 set of cadians (this was back when you could get 20 for that price) from my folks. On the one hand im jealous but on the other mad that a parent would spend $2000+ on little pieces of plastic and metal for a child. What a waste of money.

I mean the average person that wants to get into, or buys into 40k barely has a group together, if there is one at all. Then they give up and sell their "my first attempt at painting" on ebay to get out. Videogames are a foolproof investment, and a 60$ game will bring more entertainment than a 60$ box of 2-3 plastic soldiers.

Let's just pretend you said technology in general.

Your comment lacks the sense that a particular piece of technology may have more than one use, and that use may provide hours of content.

and we've all bought games to attempt to play once then just made sure to put them on a shelf where they stare at you for years,,,

>Food's never been so cheap,
Are you joking ? The baguette has doubled in price in 30 years

>and a 60$ game will bring more entertainment
No. I mean if we are talking console, most games have a lifetime of a week tops.

>Food wasn't cheaper
>Families were larger
>Parents bought more food

Huh. I guess that actually makes sense.

You have to take inflation into account.

Fast-food was actually cheaper in the 60's for the same meal even accounting for inflation, apparently.

So true. Tried getting in but the only thing within hours was a place that just did MTG and few token boardgames

>be 13 lil' me
>learn more and more about the warhammer universe
>there's a shop near my city
>go to shop, don't want to buy something now, just want to see the pretty models painted by pros
>the models display is just behind the gaming table
>3 teens are playing
>have to ask them if I can watch the models behind
>they stop playing and stare at me as I stopped the game
>feel all the angry stares behind my back
>randomly watch some figures for 10 seconds and fuck off as they watch me

What a great way to welcome new people to your hobby!

Jesus, if some kid asked me to move so he could watch the models, I would do it gladly as I know he could be a new player to have fun with. What a bunch of cunts

This is the reason I'll never get into this stuff, as far as I can tell no one of the entire fucking east coast does this kind of stuff and I'm not spending ~$600 on models just to stare at them like a 45 year old man with a creepy ass train garden.

It was for the best, it would have only ended with a crippling addiction and an empty wallet.

>You have to take inflation into account
Except no. Not when talking about necessities (food and housing) and especially not when comparing to wages.

Inflation is the average of the price hike in the entire economy. Food price hiking is a part of inflation. Here we are talking about price hikes over a period where salaries stagnated. If cumulated inflation over this time period is about 30%, it means that everything is 30% more expensive on average, but food is 100% more expensive.

>price hikes over a period where salaries stagnated

Shit, you're right.

Then if it was 3.62$ in 1961 (roughly when wage stagnation began), and it's 4.45$ now with frozen wages...
...food was cheaper in 1961 then?

I see this coming back to the "families were bigger and required more food" thing again.

Wow, 20 billion bucks, when did GW ever got that insane with their price increases?

No need to have another autist in the group.

Try focusing on yourself to see why no one likes you rather than thinking that it's everyone else being a cunt, ya cunt.

I really don't get why the fuck anyone would want to get into Warhammer by now, especially not if they are a regular on Veeky Forums. Wargaming? Of course, but Warhammer? What the fuck?
Dank Memes aside it should be pretty fucking obvious to anyone that the game, universe and hobby are in a pretty shoddy state.

>Walk into Games Workshop
>Ask where I can convert to Slaanesh
>Fat neckbeard redshirt just stares at me
>"It...it's just a game user"
>Stare at him for a minute before REEEEEing and sodomizing him for the dark prince
>Turn the GW into a temple for Slaanesh, employees are too scared to stop me

Not that bad an experience desu

I don't see a better alternative. I consider WH40k to generally have aesthetically the best models.

You know, I think it is almost impossible to convert to Slaanesh in a GW-store. Their customers aren't used to have sex.
Tzeentch and Nurgle is easier I guess. Khorne too, sometimes...

I'm always right my man.

Now think about the drop of quality between the (mostly conventional) 3.63$ food back then and the (totally industrial) 4.45$ food now.

Play bolt action nigger 40k but in a world war 2 skin

>but how do you justify the insane prices?
People don't. It's an expensive hobby for no reason other than inflated prices.

>Slaanesh

If you enjoi shit in your cunt user.

Tzeentch

If you like being a superior being all the bitches crave.

If you are dead fucking set on 40k, then do the reasonable thing and play 4th Edition and earlier. Shit goes up on ebay all the time and 2nd, 3rd and early 4th edition was pretty much the golden age, so why the fuck do you still care about GW?

Warzone or infinity ?

Beyond the Gates of Antares has some really nice models. Designed by Rick Priestly too.

>40k
>in a world war 2 skin

>Sci-fiction
>Historical

They aren't even the same. I can see how the transition can be made for Imperial Guard players but I never even considered becoming one.

I ignore things I don't like in 40k as most people should probably do.
Like Tau

Even if you are in for the fluff there are better ways to enjoy it. I don't see why anyone would want to play overpriced game with piece of shit rules just because of background story.

If the guy likes 40k, he won't like Infinity. The models have a different style and it's a skirmish game.

Really, the age-old conundrum of the 40k player that only likes 40k can only be solved by playing an earlier and better edition of 40k.

See, the people still in it I can understand. Sunk cost fallacy and all that shit. But I really don't get the people that come to Veeky Forums, look at what people say about 40k and Games Workshop and say to themselves "Yup, I want in on that shit."

>infinity
I haven't seen anything that strikes me as really cool and a race that I could see myself playing from them yet.

>Beyond the Gates of Antares
Haven't seen these before. My initial reaction concludes that Isorian and/or Boromite might be interesting but require further investigation

Probably south American

>especially not if they are a regular on Veeky Forums
Still need real-life people to play with bruh.

>there are places that still have active 40k scenes
How does that even work? Everyone in my area plays other games now, simply because the game didn't make sense out of the box. Every few months a new bunch of kids will try to play at the store but they will inevitably get frustrated by how bad it is and play the other games.

>GW
>in France
Wut da zog

There was a lot of them at the height of GW. Now it's mostly gone and LFGS are healthier.

If you haven't seen anything yet, nothing will probably spring up. Infinity is a lot less about extremely distinct factions than 40k.

Practically everyone has operators operating operationally, cyberpunk dudes and robots. The distinction is mostly in the details and a few units like Future!Deus Vult, Catgirls, Scotsmen or being all around Aliens.

Don't ask me, the only 40k players here are two 12 yo guys.

Even in the deepest reaches of Britbongistan, United Kingdom of Games Workshop, Protectorate of Nottingham you can find games for practically anything. And on the off chance that there is really absolutely nobody playing anything else around you, starting up a new game is fucking easy.

See

Tfw I really want to get into 40k but every time I walk into the local GW and the guy starts trying to sell me on the starter pack it feels like he's trying to suck me into a pyramid scheme.

Havent had the chance to get models for them but the Tsan Ra models look baller. Boromites too. Right now im collecting concord and ghar forces since they come with the starter and could get "starter armies" for an ok price too but they all look pretty great. When i get the cash and when what I currently have gets painted I want to get some freeborn as well. Something about them keeps drawing me to them but I cant quite place it.

Buy models on ebay. Just got 30 tactical marines, a chaplain, 5 assault marines and two rhinos for £50. Strip them of the paint, and saw off and reattach limbs where the assembler fucked up. Sure your weapon options are more limited but bits shops exist for a reason. Seriously, I'm one unit of devs away from a whole space marine demi company for £50. Also, lmao @ ur life if you're not pirating ruleboooks.

It's a midwest thing, really.

This is the Belfast store right?

>wowee these stupid army men are expensive
>walk next door to the toy shop to look at lego
>they're even more expensive

Toys aren't for poor children now

>tfw I buy off Forgeworld

PEASANTS, OUT!
KNOCK-OFF FAGS, OUT!

>bu bu but muh spes mareens
>muh sista o battel
these people will never know better

(Bast ?)
Also, how's the GWs in Lyon ? Might move there next year, and I was wondering

Play a different tabletop game. 40k and AoS are both pretty shoddy rulesets. Get into Infinity or Kings of War or something

I was never interested in WarHammer other than reading the 40k novels. I've lived in tons of different places in the US and overseas. Each place I've ever been to, the Warhammer scene was never big; however, recently I've been in the midwest and it's absolutely huge out here.

I tried getting into it, since majority of the game shops around here mostly play 40K. Bought a few figures here and there, got paints, brushes, worked on 'em and played for a few months. I just couldn't justify committing any more time and money into it. I ended up just selling what I had on eBay and Craigslist. I had more fun playing pen and paper RPG's and would rather put my money towards that and a few books, rather than a bunch of miniatures, paints, and everything that comes along with that. I'll settle for a smaller amount of people to play with out here.

he knows

that pic is old that aside you can get into the hobby for cheap but it involves alot of legwork never the less you can get a small force which you can play the game with.You can do that for a somewhat reasonable price all the while buying from legit sources. I recommend that you don't buy the books as they are far too expensive, get the books from a non-legit source.Just look at them £70+ for the rulebook and codex

Anyone remember the credit stealing thugs who bought a lot of 'warhammers stuffs' with fraud?