I am running a game for first timers and I'm not sure if I should run D&D 4e, D&D 5e or 13th age...

I am running a game for first timers and I'm not sure if I should run D&D 4e, D&D 5e or 13th age. What's your advise Veeky Forums.

Other urls found in this thread:

4archive.org/board/tg/thread/47191606#p47197908
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

4e is the only edition of d&d that won't give you permanent brain damage, but it's too technical for fresh faces. Try the 13th age. Or find something lighter. Rules tend to get in the way until people get used to them.

We advise you to tell us more about your prospective players.

D&D 4e is a good bet, IMO. The system is very simple and straightforward, power cards give players clear ways to interact with the world and combat encounters and it has some of the best GMing support of any RPG ever.

You'll want to track down CBloader, the fanpatch for the character builder program that updates the content and ensures it still works, it makes character generation and progression significantly easier.

There are a few small things to keep in mind, basic math fixes, certain bits of content to avoid and such, but overall it's a very smooth and easy to use game compared to a lot of RPG's.

5e will be the fastest to make characters for and has a very low barrier to entry compared to 4e or 13th age. If you run 5e though, pick up the starter set. It's one of the best "teaching modules" for new GM's ever made in the hobby.

>all first timers

Lasers & Feelings, or some other 1-page RPG. The least important thing about pnp is the specifics of the ruleset. You run the risk of swamping new players with dense rules for which they have no context or experience. Using a simple 1-page system introduces them to the important concepts first: roleplaying, imagining the scenes/theatre of the mind, problem solving, having to roll to determine outcomes, the role of the players and the GM, inter-party cooperation, etc.

Run 5e. It's got a great into to RPGs and has a great starter adventure called Lost Mine of Phandelver. It's easy to run, easy to learn, and easy to play.

But most of all it's pretty good.

You can drop by /5eg/ () and check the Mega trove and download all the 5e stuff out so far.

In that vein, PbtA games would be pretty good, too.
They have a little more meat than a 1-page RPG, yet anything the players need to know still fits on 2-3 pages.

5e > 4e > 13th Age tho I know nothing about 13th Age so if the book is way more rules light then do that.

Not sure what kind of specifics you are looking for.

Perhaps I should clarify, the players are first timers, but I've been playing RPGs for a while

I already have experience with 4e and CBloader.

We will be using pre-gen characters to make it easier for them to jump into the game.

I'm not familiar or comfortable with ultra-light systems, so I'd rather stick to something I am used to. I will be simplifying the rules somewhat by only presenting the players with what they need to know rather than explaining reams of situational rules.

I think Lost Mines has some pregens already with it. Half of 5e's purpose is "babby's first RPG", it's easy on new players.

I think 4e works well in that context then. The surface level rules are simple as hell and you can take care of any edge cases. Let people learn through play, experiment with their powers in combat and stick to skill checks and RP out of it.

Although I always think 4e could have done with a dedicated slot/progression of out of combat utility powers. There are a lot of interesting ones available in the system, but RAW it makes you choose between in combat and out of combat ability, which is never a good idea IMO.

Though with the starting module, remember that a module is most peoples first experience with a system. The whole "4e is a videogame with linear story and super long, boring combat that just shuttles people from encounter to encounter" is 90% due to the first module for 4e than to the system itself.

If you're set on 4e, I'd half suggest to use mines of phandelver since it does a good job at getting players and GM's acclimated to the game as well as being a very quality module. It starts a little railroady and gradually opens up to be more of a sandbox as you play it. It's also an extremely solid frame to hang things on for a game.

>Not sure what kind of specifics you are looking for.
Anything that may provide a hint as to which of these very different games they might enjoy most.
So basically, what do they play?

>ultra-light systems
PbtA systems are not ultra-light, but the player-facing part of the game is very efficient.

The thing I like about the look of 13th age is it doesn't have a ton of set actions like 4e does, nor does it worry about positioning as much. At the same time, it gives non-casters some cool toys so Fighter isn't just the "I attack a bunch" class.

I also really like the abstract movement, so the players don't need to worry about positioning.

>So basically, what do they play?
In terms of tabletop games, nothing. In terms of video games, not sure.

I want to suggest this as an alternative OP- Eon Altar. Yes, it's a vidya, but hear me out. I picked it up on a whim but I've found it to be one of the most effective ways of introducing people to the ideas of tabletop gaming.

Eon Altar is a local multiplayer game. You run it on a PC through one screen, with up to four players using their phones as controllers, guiding their actions in the game. While it could have just been a clumsy co-op RPG, it does some really interesting things to distinguish itself. For one thing, the player characters don't have voice lines- Instead, they give each player dialogue prompts to read out as their character. It's gotten people I'd never expect to do so roleplaying, speaking in character even when not prompted to do so. The other interesting element is that it lets each player have access to different information, secret thoughts or decisions that they can share with the group or keep to themselves.

Obviously it has its limitations as a vidya, but I've taken to playing through it a little with groups as a way of acclimatizing them to certain elements of RPG's, and it's fantastic for helping people understand them or, at worst, showing that someone really can't do it.

Run ether the system your most comfortable in or the the one with the setting most appealing to your players.

And in terms of board games? Card games? Any games? Do they watch anime? Read Tolkien? Game of Thrones?

If you're going for 13th Age, use the Touhoufag-endorsed changes, because there are still several issues with the classes, even if the martials now look a bit better. I'll try to dig them up.

Found it: 4archive.org/board/tg/thread/47191606#p47197908

>And in terms of board games? Card games?
As I said, no tabletop games.
>Any games?
I'm sure most play some sort of video games, but I don't know what. I think mostly competitive multiplayer stuff.
>Do they watch anime? Read Tolkien?
Not that I know of.
>Game of Thrones?
I think they all watch game of thrones, but I do not.

Thanks user. I'll save that for later use. Even if I don't pick 13th age for this group, I want to play it at some point.

THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS

Old school complicated as fuck games THRIVED on the fact that people wanted to be badass characters from stories they read/saw.

For want of any useable information, I can't make any particular recommendation in good faith, though it's probably safe to assume that 4e isn't your best bet here. It's great for mechanics-minded people, but since yours don't play any tabletop games at all, that's not a trait I'd expect them to have.

Personally, I'd go with 13th Age, but that's based on personal feelings and experiences.

Would Nobue be a good GM?

Also, try running a sci-fi game OP and don't leave Miu behind.

Go away, Ron.

>Would Nobue be a good GM?
Probably, easygoing but doesn't take any of Miu's shit.

I'd play something based entirely on the idea of thinking about something outside themselves. The Quiet Year or Dread play out in an hour or two and are just about asking questions and acting a role, and are super easy to get into as a one shot. Dungeon World or OSR is great for a longer one-shot to introduce the game and let hem choose what they like. In most cases they will ask for better combat or more historical heroes or more fantastic crazy shit - or sci-fi.

If they specifically *want* D&D then 5e or OSR is he best place to start. 5e has the advantage of having an amazing starting adventure that nails all the D&D stuff people are looking for - then you can spin it off into any of their adventure modules without needing to do a lot of work on your part. Princes of the Apocalypse flat says "if you did the starter set begin this adventure here" while Curse of Strahd and Out of the Abyss are infinitely improved by starting a few levels in for new players.

Is there a good 13th age introductory adventure?

5e is perfect for beginners