What are some RPGs that are set in non western culture that AREN'T mad stereotypical and actually well researched

What are some RPGs that are set in non western culture that AREN'T mad stereotypical and actually well researched

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/folder/ve8b01h9hyemh/HM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Spears of the Dawn

Legends of the Wulin is a solidly put together archetypal Wuxia setting. You could call it stereotypical, but given it's a significant cultural genre for China I think it's worth acknowledging that they did a good job. It even contains discussions of the role of filial piety in Chinese society, Confucianism and lots of other historical and cultural details that can add depth and differentiation to a game.

Could you write that in zhuo ren gen, please?

Legend of the Five Rings?

>actuall well reseached
>manchu dress.gif

That is clearly an áo dài. Physician, heal thyself.

Nah. I love me some legend of the five weebs, but it's not well researched or historically accurate. It's a fantasy setting with a veneer of samurai HONOR as perceived by someone from the 90s who saw half a kurowasa film one time.

L5R contains some insane stuff. Then again, it's by John Wick.

I still can't get over the man arguing that Ronin aren't important in Samurai stories. I mean... Fuck. That is so aggressively wrong it's hard to know where to start.

Tekumel. It's science fantasy, and it's creator was a linguist to rival Tolkien.

Nuclear war on Earth wipes out most non brown folks, who then colonize the stars and meet a bunch of aliens. They colonize a certain planet and terraform it all to hell, and fail at the genocide of two indigenous races. Something happens to knock this vacation world into a pocket dimension. Eons pass, psychic powers are a science and there is a very real pantheon of deities that interact with the mix of humans and aliens who inhabit this world.

It's got a lot of history and constructed languages, and the human societies of the main Empire and her neighbours are inspired by South Asian, South American and Middle Eastern societies.

It's brilliant.

I mean, it's about as accurate as standard fantasy is to medieval history.

Tenra Bansho Zero is a Japanese game made by Japanese people for a Japanese audience. It's super fucking Japanese.

Considering D&D standard fantasy looks to emulate the age of discovery but sweaty nerds only new le renaissance and medieval times they associated it with the late middle ages. The only thing missing was guns really.

Other systems based themselves on D&D, so the problem snowballed.

We don't even get well-researched and unstereotypical Western cultures. Take your speshul snowflek demands and sod off.

>Runequest
>Ars Magica
>Earthdawn
>Song of Swords
Just because you don't play them doesn't mean they don't exist.You just need to grog harder.

>Well research
>Manchu Dress

It is an Ao Dai, missing the pants.

Vietnamese outfit by the way, in case you didn't notice she was Vietnamese.

>Manchu dress
And you have audacity to talk about well-researched stuff?

>Implying any of those is well-researched, non-stereotypical bullshit
My fucking sides... Fucking Glorantha is better researched than any of those listed

Masks of Nyarlathotep for CoC has pretty extensive sections of advice for portraying 1920s Egypt and Hong Kong. In general CoC is known for being thoroughly researched.

>tfw Guild Wars: Nightfall was the only time I've ever seen African fantasy that wasn't just Egypt or bushmen with spears, but actually looked at a variety of inspirations and had many diverse civilizations
>Guild Wars 2 ignored it completely and is never going back
>tabletop adaptation never

i wanna die

>What are some RPGs that are set in non western culture that AREN'T mad stereotypical and actually well researched

Someone like you will call literally anything that makes of a foreign culture stereotypical. You know, like this guy .

>tfw friend gave me his copy of Nightfall
>tfw he forgot his account name and password and deleted his email

Fuck

Feng Shui managed to take all the stereotypes and cliches, refine them and turn into one of the best Wuxia game around and probably the only Hongkong action game around.

Wasn't there a not!Africa setting released based on extensive research on west african kingdoms but got killed in the cradle by raging SJW?

>black people involved in anything is racist!
>Masks? Shields? I cannot even

My favorite RPG of all time

Can you tell something more about it? Can't find shit about it in net, but then again, I'm at work, so I'm not searching that hard

Kindred of the East
Kidding, but the art is phenomenal

>Set in historical warring states period China
>Simplistic character creation that discourages munchkin and encourages specialization
>Contains factual beliefs and practices of then dominant Taoist relgion
>Has politically competent setting for the period
>Unique rolling system that utilized 2d10(not percentile) which has orders of magnitude for critical hits, as well as other balancing mechanics.

Glorantha is one of those things that were listed.

Are you okay, user?

>Qin

Seems interesting. Time to check it out. Then I sacrifice to ancestors to help me convince my players to play the damn thing.

Yeah, it's pretty bad. I think the person you're replying to, though, was voicing a mild complaint about all the shit L5R gets for 'not being historically accurate' when it is just as wildly inaccurate as every western based RPG, and just about as connected to its source material. Paladins, Bards, Barbarians, Monks, Wizards...

I'm asking about the setting. Is it fantasy? Is it real world? How close it is to historical realism? How well researched it is? What are the broad goals for it if it's political

And how you described it so far greatly decreased my interest. 2d10 is one of the worst mechanics around.
Also, Daoism wasn't ever "main" or "dominant", which further decrease my interest if that's the thing going.

>probably the only Hongkong action game around.
The only one still in production. Back in the early 2000s there was Hong Kong Action Theatre as well.

But it wasn't as elastic as Feng Shui. At least not for my players

>Contains factual beliefs and practices of then dominant Taoist religion
Taoist religion started in the Han dynasty and was never really 'dominant'. Although IIRC the Tang dynasty emperors did claim to be descendants of Laozi, which is pretty entertaining of them.

That pic is beautiful.

>muh stereotypes
What matters is authenticity, not originality.
McFucking Kill Yourself.

>2016
>dominant
>Taoist
>religion
3 words, all three wrong

>Simplistic character creation that discourages munchkin and encourages specialization
I've never played and in no way hating on the game, but that claim is impossible, because munchkining is just specializing in a given way to kill things.

I think by dominant he meant the dominant variation of Taoism, not that Taoism was the dominant religion. And it is a religion. System of beliefs that govern your life. Also, has beliefs about the supernatural, so fit the colloquial definition too.

Yes, because the western fantasy settings with Scottish dwarves, snooty elves, not!Britain, and all of those other trappings are definitely not stereotypical.

>System of beliefs that govern your life
Does that make an euphoric fedora-wearing atheism a religion too?

I'm a christian, but, yes.

>sarcastic response
>doesn't realize that a lot of this is assumed by players and varies from setting to setting

/v/ plz leave

There are games from other countries, so those by their nature fit the bill. Some have even been translated. Also, what is "mad stereotypical" mean in context. I mean people have mentioned LotW, and are arguing on it's fitting that criteria. But it's not meant to be historical, it's meant to copy the feel of Chinese movies. So is it stereotypical?

You're joking, right? "Mad stereotypical and not well researched" is practically L5R's tagline.

If you want better a Japanese historical fantasy RPG, get either Bushido or Sengoku.

Otherwise, fuck all of them and

>The diplomat opens the negotiations.
>Your move

l5r does culture well for an rpg. For all it's trappings, DnD doesn't much capture the different propensities and experiences of social classes in feudal or periphal contexts. I thought explaining the gift giving tradition in l5r for instance, was nice in a way that fits in with the theme of the game rather than a randomly selected custom for sky pirate elves or something.

L5R has a neat, detailed culture that can make roleplaying more fun, as long as the strictness level is worked out properly between the GM and the players. One of the most common complaints about L5R boils down to the GM being super strict about following the social expectations and super harsh about punishing perceived offenders (Often completely Incorrectly).
But it's still not historically accurate or well researched, which is what OP is looking for.

If daoism is religion, then biology became religion by proximity.
Now I'm not denying over time daoism didn't develop "rural version", where it's pretty much "I pray to get shit done", but by times of Qin and early Han it was just philosophical school, like few others of those times.

Speaking of late warring state period - Mozi did nothing wrong

Those cultures don't deserve to e full rounded.

Yoon-suin.

470-391 BC
Never forget

Roll will with penalty.

>Yang Zhu did nothing wrong
ftfy

>You notices she is not wearing panties
>Penalties increase tenfold
Loose an action

>Yang Zhu
Bitch please, it was Shang Yang who did nothing wrong
And we could avoid fucking Han dynasty bullshit if not bunch of cunts who played their stupid power game on court after Shi Huangdi death.

>just philosophical school
The terms religion, superstition, philisophy etc are quite flawed when dealing with Chinese history as these are modern imported terms (for example the term for religion, 宗教, is barely a century old in the Chinese language).
In traditional Chinese language and thinking Daoism, Buddhism, Confucianism, Islam etc would all be considered jiào (教), meaning teachings. These would not be categorized according to religious/secular considerations but rather according to their moral qualities and effect upon society (wicked teachings 邪教 vs righteous teachings 正教).
This was probably partly due to them all being "forced" to fit within the same cosmology (you can find plenty of Chinese temples that got Buddhas seated next to Laozi etc). When a foreign teaching refused to fit the cosmology it would be denounced as heretical 邪教 (for example: When the first Jesuits arrived in China their teachings were considered righteous 正 and moral. But when the Pope refused to aknowledge the Emperor as the real voice of Heaven/God all the Jesuits had to pack up and leave China as they were clearly envoys of wickedness 邪教).

Grandmother-in-law passed away this year. She was given a chinese Buddhist funeral, and it was interesting to see how it incorporated a whole bunch of different practices and beliefs. It seemed like they were covering their bases with the afterlife.

I understand that culturally it's quite common for Chinese to pick and choose from religions/ teachings (notwithstanding the suppression in recent decades on the mainland) and not be overly bothered by discrepancies between them. Hence my Grandmother in law was kinda Catholic and kinda Buddhist.

LE KEK KEK ALERT KEK ALERT

>But when the Pope refused to aknowledge the Emperor as the real voice of Heaven/God all the Jesuits had to pack up and leave China
Mate, this had nothing to do with religion. It was just politics and everyone in Europe thinking trading with Manchus would be easier and more profitable.
They were wrong.

Yes and no. An issue being political does not mean it can't also be religious at the same time.
The Emperor was both supreme political & religious ruler in the Chinese cosmology. Somebody challenging this was challenging both the secular Imperial power as well as the cosmology it was based upon.
Furthermore the issue was more complicated than the ranking between the Emperor and the Pope. Matteo Ricci wanted the Catholics to adapt (Ancestral worship okay, Confucious sainthood etc) to China, the Pope considered this approach heretical and wanted the Chinese to adapt instead (something he made quite clear in a rather blunt letter to the Emperor).

The strict division between religious and secular is quite modern, for most of history these would overlap.

>Oh boy! More tables!

OSR books would be a lot more useful to me if they stopped this weird table fetish and actually stated things outright for a change.

>Mid 1600s
>He really thinks it was about religion
What if I told you last Mings were Christians? And not just because of political reasons, but actually converting long before it became political.

GURPS

>What if I told you last Mings were Christians?
Not that user, but I'd say 'you'll need extraordinary evidence, because that right there is an extraordinary claim'.

When it's not done by Mel Uran, at least.

Who is she tho

Mah nigga

Don't forget teh pwoor misunderstood Orcs, pre-industrial shitholes somehow now being more diverse than a Disney cartoon, and the stronk independent wymenz who ain't NEED NO MAN. Pretty much the average RPG setting now a days.

Depending on source, Chongzhen emperor either converted with his entire family or his entire family sans him converted by early 1630s.
I guess he didn't, but it wouldn't be far-fetched to assume the sources about his family are right.

I need more games, nerds! Throw in something set in any part of Africa, let's trigger /pol/tards together

There's Spears of the Dawn, which apparently gets a lot of pretty good buzz.

I'd need to see a link to a reputable source. Google Books doesn't seem to give anything.

>Glorantha is more well-researched than Runequest

Would be better if fucking "Coreans" didn't mandate that women had to wear pants underneath a dress.

Google young Vietnamese girl jenny

I only remember thanks to 7th Sea Jenny guild.

>Fucking Glorantha is better researched than any of those listed

If by better researched you mean uninspired and reads like a boring history textbook mixed with only the most yawn-inducing mythology, you're right.

It's like the life's work of a very sad college professor.

Fuck I'm moving to Vietnam

My Negro

An actual history textbook, maybe? A ruleset's only a method of resolving actions. You could take something like FATE or GURPs and run any historical period in it.

What you're asking for is a sourcebook, not a ruleset.

Source on that?

Read the thread.

Was referring to the .gif itself, not the dress type.

You'd think one of the reverse image searchers would ping a better quality gif/video but no.

You meant to type Sengoku RPG, right? Rrrrright?

Harnmaster

Do Anglos really believe that classical fantasy is about notBritain? For it is at least equal parts German (HRE) and Scandinavian.

... wouldn't happen to have a pdf of that, do you?

kek'd harder than I should have

no but I have a link
mediafire.com/folder/ve8b01h9hyemh/HM

Shinobigami which is coming out soon also fits that bill if you've got a thing for ninjas.

Translated by the same guys who translated TBZ, in fact.

They're even releasing it in the same kind of format that it had in Japan.

Thanks

>Glorantha
>uninspired
How to detect a pleb shitposting

Nyambe: African Adventures

They gave the source of the girl. Read.

L5R, not so much. Just the katana rules alone are weeb as fuck.

Can you say something more about it?

Remember that one time some anthropology nerds made a game?

>okay but what if Eskimo Vikings?
>Plains-Indian Romans!
>fucking Han Chinese Mayans, bruh!
>Dot-Indian Egypt!?
>and i dunno, Celtic Persians why not

It would be nice if the game wasn't clusterfuck of rules and the setting wasn't just a random patchwork of ideas.
Also, the hell it has to do with OP's question?

Same.
*Fortunate Son starts playing*