What should happen on the next MTG banlist for Modern (in my opinion):

What should happen on the next MTG banlist for Modern (in my opinion):

Modern:
Banned: Prized Amalgam-Dredge has proven to be a problem, and this card is the source of that problem.

Unbanned: Jace the Mind Sculptor-Ancestral Vision didn't put Blue back on the map, so this card could come back to give Blue an extra push

Bloodbraid Elf-wasn't banworthy in the first place

Other urls found in this thread:

google.com/trends/explore?date=all&q=mtg standard,mtg modern,mtg legacy,mtg edh
twitter.com/AnonBabble

If dredge has to be banned then you'll have to ban affinity too. It's just as explosive if not more so,you have to side for it and pray you get the sideboarded cards in games 2 and 3.

Really? You think Dredge is doing bad things in Modern right now?
Dude, in the 2 most recent high profile events, it has ONE spot in the top 8s and is maybe 5% of the meta. Compare to Affinity, which WON one of those events and is what, 8%? You're off your tree if you think Dredge is a problem right now.

Banned: OP, in all formats.
Unbanned: Deathrite Shaman in Modern. Survival of the Fittest in Legacy.

If anything needs to be banned in Modern, it's Mox Opal. Affinity is the disease, Dredge isn't a problem.

Modern:

>Banned
Nothing

>Unbanned
Stoneforge Mystic - We're aware of the risk this card being unbanned, but White is one of the weakest colors in the format, mainly only used for casting Path of Exile and being part of the cost of commonly-played multicolor cards (Voice of Resurgence, Nahiri, Qasali Pridemage). But with the recent printings of various cards (Abrupt Decay, Kolaghan's Command), feel there is enough cards in the format to help deal with the card's effects and promote interaction amongst the top decks of the format.

This is surprisingly well reasoned.

It's why it'll also never happen. Forsythe has said SFM "can't" be taken off the modern ban list, along with JTMS, GSZ and seething song.

Seething Song isn't even that powerful.

>"Can't" be taken off the modern list

More like WON'T.

Modern banlist is a mess.

There is no consistency with quality of bans as there is about as strong cards banned as there are on the format. They also keep talking about turn 4 rule, but there is and always be decks to violate it... Even more so as the modern card pool gets bigger. To me it seems a bit futile trying to ban like 8 cards of the 40 broken cards and pretend we did good job keeping the format in balance, when technically you just killed 2 decks out of 10 broken decks.

There will always be "the deck" and bans will never make things even.

Ban:
Thoughtseize
Lightning bolt
Mox Opal
SSG
Prized Amalgam
Emrakul
Karn
Become immense
Unban:
Jace
SFM
Splinter twin
Bloodbraid elf

>Banned: Prized Amalgam-Dredge
>Unbanned: Jace the Mind Sculptor-Ancestral Vision

>Dumb opinions: the thread.

B.. But... Draw go is a tier 1, just like mardu. So you want to ban amalgam and yet unban price sculptor? Fuck you.

Ban: Nothing. Shit's okay right now and I'd like to see how it plays out

Unban:

>Jace MS
He would be good but he wouldn't be broken. Only people that are against him still have a sore ass when he was in standard.

>Rite of Flame/Seething Song
Storm sucks and I don't think it'd make it that much better. I don't even know why this shit hangs around on the banlist so long.

>Stoneforge
White isn't that good and it would be a nice wincon for some control deck or something.

>Preordain
Isn't that strong

>Twin
Wasn't that good during it's time. Banned for sketchy reasons and since it's been gone the metagame has not "diversified" like WotC has said it would.

>Possibly unban bloodbraid elf

>price sculptor

Nigga costs as much as a snapcaster

>>Jace MS
>He would be good but he wouldn't be broken. Only people that are against him still have a sore ass when he was in standard.

i actually dont think it would even be played. maybe a 1 or 2 of in the right deck

Because he's banned, retard.

Nihiri is better than jace in modern. Blue lacks the control cards to make him good in modern.

>This planeswalker that ends the game is better than this other planeswalker that ends the game!
Fuck off.

>Implying jace gets to ult

He just brainstorms every turn into garbage cards.

I want birthing pod unbanned.

They banned it not out of power level but for the sake of format diversity. (How'd that work out? Seeing as they took Modern off the pro tour for the same reason!). Collective company just jumped in and filled the niche no problem anyway.

And if C.Company gets banned for whatever reason we'll just go back to Chord of Calling tool box.

So just unbanned pod please.

>Seeing as they took Modern off the pro tour for the same reason!

They took Modern off the pro tour because it doesn't sell packs.

I'm pretty sure some shitty standard format stream on twitch isn't selling them either.

No, Forsythe was pretty clear with that distinction - that it isn't a "won't," it's a "can't".

That makes no sense.

The only possible thing preventing them from doing so is them not wanting to for whatever reason.

"Won't" and "Can't" literally mean the exact same thing in this situation.

I want Collected Company banned because we need more pod players tears

"Can't" means "If we unban it, it'll warp the Modern metagame."

"Won't" means "If we unban it, it might have an effect on Modern we don't want."

So they CAN in-fact do it they just WON'T because they foresee negative consequences.

Glad we got this cleared up.

google.com/trends/explore?date=all&q=mtg standard,mtg modern,mtg legacy,mtg edh

Interest in Standard is no higher now than around the time of Innistrad when the game really took off. Modern gets more hits on Google than Standard does, amusingly.

Funny, scars-innstrad was the only standard I participated in. After I learned that cards rotate I switched to modern.

They stopped having modern be a pro-tour format after the shit show that was the Oath of the Gatewatch PT. They figured that having the top pros break modern like they break standard is unhealthy for the format and wanted it to be a more "down to earth, 'casual'" format. Read it in the article when they announced it. Honestly I'm OK with the. I don't think modern should be a pro tour format. I believe that draft is the most skill intensive format, and standard really let's the pros show their deck building/choosing and playing skills. Plus standard is half-constructed, half-limited anyway

>I believe that draft is the most skill intensive format

God I hate hearing this, shit is boring and high variance. I'd rather watch golf or hockey.

>I don't think modern should be a pro tour format. I believe that draft is the most skill intensive format

Actually it's Eldrazi

Storm is banned because it can be time consuming to play at organized events, not because it's good. If you want to play a storm like deck just play memecendancy combo like me.

That is because scars Innistrad was hands down the best standard.

Ravnica-Timespiral was the actual best.

Scars-Inn is just good compared to what we've gotten since. Snap-Delver-Vapor Snag was a scourge.

Welcome to magic, a relatively boring game that has high variance in any format that isn't Legacy

Do you have an article or link to where he says something like that? I know why Seething Song and GSZ are on the list and deserve to be on it (Song because it lets Storm break the "no consistent t4 kills" rule of Modern, GSZ because every green deck will auto-include 4 of them and not promote deck diversity).

My reasoning for why JTMS isn't off the ban list yet is solely for one reason: they've yet to figure out a way to print him in large enough numbers that won't make him the most expensive piece of cardboard on the secondary market.

You can't put him in Standard without ramping up that format's power level, which they've shown they don't want to do these past few years. They refuse to print Modern Masters with any sort of high and/or multiple print run for whatever reason, and adding him via a Conspiracy, Eternal Masters, or Commander box product will not add enough supply to the secondary market to meet the demand for a potential unbanning.

Birthing Pod was banned because eventually, Wizards will print enough low CMC creatures with powerful effects (usually on ETB) that it becomes an instant-speed, near-uncounterable tutor effect. Or it promotes a consistent t4-t5 "win" in the form of infinite life, eventually culminating in some creature getting a bunch of +1/+1 counters on it.

It was quickly approaching GSZ-levels of auto-include in any creature-heavy deck.

>which they've shown they dont want to do these past few years
>still print retarded cards like meme rhino, meme jace, meme company

>people actually care about modern
>actually talking about wallet sculptor getting unbanned
Literally why? Do you enjoy throwing money at the shittiest of the main formats, and the worst general on this board? Modern is awful, and it's just a matter of time before it dies forever.

>shittiest of the main formats

Is this the standard or edh thread?

Are you retarded?

Because midrange stuff, to them, means interactive games. They also admitted to screwing up with the Rhino, where-as the other two are some of the cards purposefully pushed to make Standard seem powerful.

>Midrange stuff

Because Atarka Red and WB Sorin Control are totally midrange, right?

> it becomes an instant-speed, near-uncounterable tutor effect
>instant speed
RTFC

>storm is banned because it's time consuming
Meanwhile, lantern control is legal.

What the FUCK does WotC know about balancing Modern? Just look at OWG, damn it.

My bad, derped on the card, it's been literal years since I last played with Pod. It's still a strong effect.

This. Whether you like them or not, tier 0 formats in any TCG are, and always will be, the most skill-intensive formats.

>it's another "Wizards has a legal binding" episode

>Stoneforge was banned, not Batterskull
>GSZ was banned, not Dryad Arbor
>Pod was banned, not Spike Feeder and Kitchen Finks

So why would Emrakul be banned instead of Nahiri, and why would Karn be banned instead of an Urza Land? It's always the enabler that gets banned, not the payoff.

I don't think they would ban Urza lands on the basis that Modern has a pretty heavy land hate meta

The guy you're quoting is an idiot but
>It's always the enabler that gets banned, not the payoff.

Nah if that was true they would have banned Grove of the Burnwillows instead of Punishing Fire.

Your whore mother is a fucking idiot.

Price really shouldn't be a reason for a card to be banned/unbanned though.

I never said it was.

I guess I responded to the wrong post, my bad.
Must be tired.

Should have been .

Don't worry about it. My post did sound like I was saying that, but I was really just reminding user of why Jace is cheap.

I think the ban list is fine as it is. It's a shame they chose not to reprint the most highly demanded cards though. Tarmogoyf has been through two reprints but because it's a mythic in modern masters, the price is way up. Also the Zendikar fetches desperately need another go because it's really dull when the barrier to entry is the fucking land.

Nearly positive that they ban the card that would be least likely to see play outside of whatever deck was a problem.

Like, they banned Summer Bloom rather than Amulet because Amulet was an interesting effect that could see play in something other than Amulet Bloom.