A nation-sized forest full of Unseelie fey

>a nation-sized forest full of Unseelie fey
>they can all sense the destiny someone has in store for them
>they never lie, steal, murder, curse, or mind control each other or any visitors to the forest, except in self-defense

>but those visitors with great destinies, they pamper
>comfortable manor-homes, fairy maids, fairy spouses, constant entertainment, all the luxuries one can ever desire
>nothing is expected of these great-destined visitors
>no mind control at all, just mundane hospitality

>they rob the world of those with great destinies and enforce a non-heroic status quo
>today, many who would have been legendary heroes or villains live cosseted lives in the forest
>their half-fae children live with them too, and they marry fae and have 3/4ths fae children

>these fae even send out scouts to find people with great destinies and cordially invite them to the enormous forest
How would you use this in a game?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/7GcKaCTkaec
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Surely a good chunk of people they send out scouts for would reject them, not to mention female heroes would end up becoming prominent unless the fairies are...into that.

I'd guess the main thing defining the setting is how men seemingly rarely do anything of greatness, with the predominantly female PCs and a sole male PC who was to-be whisked away by the fairies exploring the place for themselves.

One other thing I'd add is the strength difference between humans and fae. While the male PC isn't even all that impressive compared to his human peers, he's a giant's difference in strength and endurance compared to the fairies, and when in the forest even small things like felling a tree or picking up a boulder make him out to be a Herculean figure.

I think they meant men as in the race of man, not males specifically.

>How would you use this in a game?
I'm a weeaboo, so I go the weeaboo route and make them both a benchmark and a delayed reward. Somewhere during the first few adventures, the party stumbles into this forest. They are denied (albeit in a friendly manner) by the fey because they cannot sense a great destiny about them, sensing they're doomed to forever be second rate dungeonrobbers. This will hopefully motivate the party to prove them wrong.

Once they've done something awesomely great, they can return to the fey forest and rub it in their faces. They then get to live in their hero-mansions with their cute waifus, maids and whatever. They remain entirely isolated for some (timeskipped) years (I would allow the players to between sessions summarize what happens to their characters in that downtime. What they do, who they marry, what their fey mansion looks like etc.). However, due to some fey SNAFU, some information about the outside world leaks. It is now in grave danger and has no great heroes to rescue them. It will then be up to the party to either sneak out and aid the world under siege by evil, or to rally all the other greats against the fey until they're allowed to come and go as they please. Whichever happens, these men without great destinies will through a twist of fate become the men with the greatest destinies. Rather than having one laid out for them for the fey to sense, they have forged their own and have become greater and of better moral character than all destines heroes who fell for the charms of the fey.

Afterwards the heroes can return to their waifus, who are still pretty and fey-like but no longer possess the ability to keep them trapped. Allies turned villains turned aides.

that's not how destiny works

As an enemy to defeat.
They have held back the wheel of time.
Snatched the thread from the hands of the Fates.
Stealing those who are destined to change the world.
For good or for ill, they have denied Fate.

And Fate will have its due.

>a good chunk of people they send out scouts for would reject them
Why? You get a luxurious life. Sounds awesome to me.

>not to mention female heroes would end up becoming prominent unless the fairies are...into that
What? Why?

>He doesn't throw logic into the wind
>He doesn't break past his limits
>He doesn't go past 100%

>Whichever happens, these men without great destinies will through a twist of fate become the men with the greatest destinies.

But how did they get accepted in if they didn't have great destinies in the first place?

through the paradox of altering destiny in the first place

There are no male fae. Anyone who claims to be a male fae is a liar! Liars are to be sacked!

You've just described a chapter from the Odyssey without being aware of doing it.

After X time, once players started to suspect something was off, they'd discover their laziness has turned them into pigs. They were pigs the entire time, and just realized the manor was in fact a boar den with frills. Now they have to find a way to turn back to normal and get their gear back. Only problem is they're still pigs and have to use piggenuity.

But that's a less long-term sustainable con because then the fairies are actually cursing and mind controlling people.

What step is that, like Crossing the First Threshold? If they stop there they never had a great destiny in the first place.

What if the fairies' "destiny sense" measures how great a destiny someone would have WITHOUT the fairies' intervention?

Clearly seelie fae would take over in doing great things to make up for all of their cousin race's naughtiness.

Let's start with the concept of destiny. If It's some kind of arbitrary shit of YOU CAN X or YOU MIGHT BE SOMETHING then okay.
But that also means that any chucklefuck can become something great, adored by fairies or not.

If It's a hardcore fatum thing that's bound to happen in some way at some point, then there's no fucking point in kidnapping destined people because destiny is a bitch like that and If some fucker is said to change the world with his voice, he WILL do just that and no magical forest is going to stop him, whther he wills It or not.

>kidnapping

It's not kidnapping if it's fun, user.

But what happens to fairies who themselves have great destinies?

>The Great Hero, who was to have conquered the demon Soth and freed the land from tyrrany, has fallen! Not to the demon's minions or felled by chance, but laid low by the machinations of the unseelie fae!

>But destiny is not so easily denied...

>The hero's young sister set out, expecting to avenge the sibling she admired. Through thick and thin she journeyed, her potential greatness powered by fate. She looks to outstrip her brother in the annals of history.
>Until the Fae catch up to her.
>She too falls into their delicate clutches, finding long deserved rest amidst the comforts of home. And she finds her brother, too.

>Destiny WILL NOT be denied.

>Thirty more heroes spring up. Thirty more find themselves wandering after fae.

>Fifty seven approach greatness. Fifty seven hear the sound of pan pipes and are lost.

>Towns, cities take up the hero's call. The Fae scouts are being run ragged. Housing is at a premium and the sacred forest is being cut down for wood. Fairies are passed round from one prospective hero to the next, and rumours of incest of second and third generation changelings abound.

>in the end, the Fae society cannot keep up. Outnumbered a thousand to one, with more human settlements than there are individual fae, they are spread out long far enough that their scheme comes to a halt.

>And finally, the hero triumphs over the very confused demon, who's lands are empty due to everyone buggering off to live with the Fae.

>who was to have conquered the demon Soth

Soth is a death knight, not a demon.

He got upgraded when he visited hell or something.
I just picked a random name, ok?

I don't think you understand just how big a "nation-sized forest" can be.

The Amazon is 2.124 million square miles. That's more than twice the land area of Argentina.

>ywn be kidnapped by fairies

why

live

Now consider how many people that bitch Destiny needed to enlist to fill the Fae forest.

Well first, I'd establish whether or not they're fey, fae, or fairies. I'll go with fairies because they're cutest.

Second, I'd establish that they're definitely not doing this out of malice (after all, they're targeting both heroes and villains) but rather that they're just irresistibly attracted to individuals with great destinies and want those individuals to stay with them forever.

Third, throw in their opposition who we'll call Seelie since you already went with Unseelie. These fairies absolutely love a grand epic about heroes and villains and actively seek out people who lack the power but have the perfect mentality for their roles. To these, they offer great power in exchange for but one thing: Eternal Friendship.

Good or evil they, like their counterpart, desire to stay with you forever and will accompany and guide the hero/villain to fulfill the great Destiny they envision for him or her. More than that though, they genuinely try to help you achieve your own goals, acting as literal wingmen for you in anything you endeavor to accomplish.

Obviously they HATE their Unseelie counterparts who completely ruin their hard work. Even so, the Seelie did not joke about the 'forever' part and the enchanted forest is a constant battleground between Unseelie and Seelie fairies as the latter attempts to break through the defenses of the former to get back their chosen ones.

They even go so far as to recruit new heroes to fight the Unseelie, thus continuing the cycle in a manner so predictable it would take a fairy to not realize why it's not working.

The point? The players are now faced with a choice between the fairy that will pamper them with every luxury imaginable and be the perfect waifu versus the fairy that will help you reach your full potential and help you accomplish anything you set your mind to, but who does not want to fuck you.

Or in short: Bros Vs Hos. Who do you choose?

Row row fight tha powah!

>the fairy that will help you reach your full potential and help you accomplish anything you set your mind to, but who does not want to fuck you.

But what if the thing I want to accomplish is fucking them?

Then settle in for the long haul because no heroic epic is complete without a slowly and awkwardly deepening relationship between two traveling companions beset by a myriad of troubles culminating in the two being separated by circumstances and only reunited on the eve of the final battle with the great villain and only then, when faced with the uncertainty of imminent death, do the glowing embers of your friendship ignite into the full flame of Love.

Is that acceptable to you?

>They even go so far as to recruit new heroes to fight the Unseelie, thus continuing the cycle in a manner so predictable it would take a fairy to not realize why it's not working.

But how does this continue the cycle?

I don't get it.

Because the new heroes the seelies recruit keep getting stolen by the unseelie, thus dooming the seelies to an eternity of being cucks.

Why not just tell the heroes to never, never, never go to the hugeass Unseelie forest?

But is this really that bad? The Unseelie are robbing even VILLAINS of their destinies, so they're doing just as much good as bad.

>He doesn't go above and beyond... PLUS ULTRA!
Top kek

Don't feed Cirno, user.

Well, OP said they're forcing the status quo, so if the status quo is armies of good and evil constantly throwing themselves at each other, they're doing bad. If the status quo is peace and harmony, they're doing the world a massive favor.

Is every fae in this weird wood willfully complicit in the scheme, or is this plan solely the work of the Unseelie Court?

>if the status quo is armies of good and evil constantly throwing themselves at each other, they're doing bad. If the status quo is peace and harmony, they're doing the world a massive favor.
What if it's a little bit of A and a little bit of B?

It's an Unseelie forest, obviously.

Helicoputa

youtu.be/7GcKaCTkaec

>What if it's a little bit of A and a little bit of B?

Then I suppose it's a question of whether or not you want to roll the dice with a climactic all-decisive battle between legendary warriors chosen by fate that will either thrust the world into an age of darkness and suffering or light the beacon of hope and prosperity forevermore?

Bet it all or just keep the moderately shitty world you got?

But what if the luxuries I want are going outside? Will the fae give me that?

What can the players do to resist falling into this trap?

>nation-sized
That can be anything from 44 hectares to 17.2 million square kilometres. Could you be more specific?

Amazon Rainforest-sized.

Like any proper fae forest, it only stops where they want it to.

They're not fucking Disney fairies, you bumfuck.

Gas the Forest, Realm war NOW!

I actually have something very similar to this in my setting, but it's intentionally used by the dominant empire as a prison for those too dangerous to kill, because their legendary reflections would be dangerous (in this setting, the fey realm acts as a pseudo-afterlife full of shades who's power is directly proportional to how legendary the deceased is, so killing a legendary villain can often create an even more dangerous foe.)

I like your idea user.

If someone marries a faerie catgirl, will their kid be a half-fae catboy?

If more than half the world is "great heroes," the standards for "great" are really low.

This thread reeks of Alaska.

Alaska doesn't have cute ice fairy waifus.

Demons don't come from Hell, they come from the Abyss.

I'd hate to sound like That Guy, or some staunch traditionalist, but the fae you described for your setting(and I understand that the folkloric rules are often very bendable when people make their own settings, so I'm sorry to bring this up) don't seem very much like Unseelie fae. Unseelie fae tend to be out and out malicious, if not nearly demonic. All the things you stated that these fae do not do is exactly what Unseelie fae do for fun and laughs on a daily basis. Again, I'm sorry if I sound like That Guy, but it was just bothering me slightly. Please don't take any offense, and I apologize if I have said anything that is douchey.

But this is evil.

It doesn't sound all that evil, inconveniencing at worst. The Unseelie tended to be very dangerous tricksters on their own and vicious murderers in troupes. Though, I understand that its different in a custom setting, as the rules are essentially yours to control. But still, its rather odd seeing Unseelie faes behaving like OP described, and seems entirely out of character for them.(again, I don't mean to be obnoxious)

I'm normally very anti-purism when it comes to folklore, but... yeah. This is kind of like having a subrace called "wood elves" who don't live in the forest. At that point they're just elves.

Maybe, maybe not. The problem is they aren't actually malicious

Its not even that Unseelie fae need to be hideous, many-toothed beasts(they actually shouldn't be depicted this way), but that they ought to be treated as they are, sinister (supernatural)aliens to our world. While I won't end up having a seizure because OP is calling his fae Unseelie, it is kind of pointless.

But this is dangerous trickery and vicious murder of destiny.

To call them Unseelie I mean.

But "murdering destiny" isn't the kind of malicious that the Unseelie were. They were at best simply violent pranksters and at their very worst they killed people and abducted children to take to their doom in the fairy mounds. Turning them into forest waifus is a little disrespectful to the folklore they are based on(albeit probably inadvertently)

It's malicious when it's dooming a kabillion people by proxy.

>unseelie fey thread
>quick everyone post seelie pics

Dooming them to what? All OP stated was that the status quo was "unheroic". That doesn't sound evil, simply rude and fairly inconsiderate. The Unseelie were truly evil creatures, not just mean in a political or overarching sort of way.

>All OP stated was that the status quo was "unheroic"
This. Exactly.

Unheroic=/=Evil. Replace Unseelie with Seelie, and the entire setting makes sense, as the Seelie were not as menacing as their Unseelie counterparts.

What if we replace them with Touhou fairies?

I guess that would work. Makes more sense than calling them Unseelie

>I'd go full magical realm and get me a harem of Loli faeries to have orgies with

>But this is dangerous trickery and vicious murder of destiny.
So? We can quibble all day about whether it's evil, but it indisputably isn't malicious. There's nothing in the OP to suggest they do this specifically to hold humanity back, and they take great pains to make sure their humans are well treated

It's holding humanity back because then the world goes stagnant.

>malicious
>adjective
>characterized by malice; intending or intended to do harm.

Stagnancy is harmful. If something doesn't grow, then it dies and never reaches its potential. A sane parent wouldn't hold their children in a perpetually child-like state.

>intending or intended

Does a neckbear count as unselee?

great minds cannot be nourished by a life of idle pleasures. they would use the time and comfort to come up with designs on how to make the outside world a better place.

>If more than half the world is "great heroes," the standards for "great" are really low.

destiny's standards slipped when the fae got all the really fantastic people.

SOMEONE'S gotta murder that demon, user.

It is a well known fact that ice fairies originate from Alaska, and it is from there they attempt to spread their propaganda to the fa/tg/uy masses in hopes of being accepted.

You're correct actually: the OP is really referring to plain fairies and just calling them Unseelie because that's more palatable than saying that they're- fairies.

>How would you use this in a game?

Make it were they know they likely outcomes of said destinies and selectively invite people with likely outcome that they do not like. As a way of clearing them off the board. Those that do not accept they try to find other ways to deal with them. More of a set them down a different path type of thing then say killing the target. They sometimes killing the target, but only rarely . They put value in their image. Naturally invite a extra people in to keep others guessing as to what the fey want to stop.

Also I would make them push some who have destinies they want to have happen. They would do this via non fey agents to help keep people guessing. Lastly i would have them very rarely use the half-fae children fr political marriages to manipulate people.

"Hey I know that you want to invade kingdom X, but you do not have a claim to use. The youngest son of the father of the local noble in charge of the lands next to your domain came into our lands a long time ago. He had a number of kids, a few of which would be a good marriage for you. You can use your new wife's bloodline for the claim to start to war you want..."

That gives the fey more of a end game. That also makes them scary like Unseelie fey should be, they just are playing the long game.

>Naturally invite a extra people in to keep others guessing as to what the fey want to stop.

>Be worthless peasant fuck with no great destiny.
>Get invited to live with fairy waifus just to be a living smokescreen.

Where do I sign up?

Start sneaking into fairy forests and kidnapping promising fairies so that they might advance the human race.

That's unfair. They don't kidnap people, so why should you kidnap them?

It doesn't matter if it's through intention or negligence, either way the result is the same.

We need some kind of hero to keep the world moving forward. Perhaps in this setting, it is the humans that are fey and the fey that are human!

You know, what do the fairies do with other fairies that have great destiny?

Fairies are destiny, silly, they don't "have" destiny.

I see. Does that mean a meal of fairies is rich in destiny?

Only if you treat them right and buy them dinner first.

>they don't "have" destiny
That's okay, it was a shit game anyway.

What do fairies like eating?

The hopes and dreams of mortals.

What restaurant can I take a fairy out for dinner for some of those?

The goddess of fate has been spurned too many times by the fey, and the goddess of fate is PISSED. Divine fatwa against the fey realm commences, with the heroes both empowered against their defenses and would suffer calamity if they accepted their "hospitality".

The nation of the fey-woods will burn.

Any will do, they don't have terribly high standards.

>would suffer calamity if they accepted their "hospitality".

>all worship of the goddess of fate comes to an abrupt end as they contest their goddess's decision to deny her worshipers prosperity

Goddess of fate status:
[X] BTFO
[ ] Not BTFO

And thus sparks the event where the Goddess of Fate becomes the Goddess of Hate, cursing humanity to never again spawn individuals of great destiny.

And protein as well as pure magic. Careful though, their sugars rot your teeth!

Are fairy wings sensitive to touching and rubbing?

They don't appear to have any real nerve endings.