/ccg/ Custom Card General /cct/

Kamigawa 2.0 edition! (Legends matter, Spirits, Arcane, Samurai, etc.)

To make cards, download MSE for free from here
magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/

>Hi-Res MSE Templates
pastebin.com/Mph6u6WY

>Mechanics doc (For the making of color pie appropriate cards)
docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE

>Read this before you post your shitty card!
docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM

>Design articles by Wizards
pastebin.com/Ly8pw7BR

>Q: Can there be a sixth color?
A: pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i

>Q: What's the difference between multicolor and hybrid?
A: pastebin.com/yBnGki1C

>Art sources.
artstation.com/
drawcrowd.com/
fantasygallery.net/
grognard.booru.org/
fantasy-art-engine.tumblr.com/

>Stitch cards together with
old.photojoiner.net/

>/ccg/ sets (completed and in development)
pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj

OT:

Since the majority of cards in the CO set are legends, obviously legends matter was going to pop up sooner or later. Basically what I wanted Heroes' Podium to be. Goddamn Theros was a letdown.

Stupid question; Have you done cards for the Doom Patrol yet?

I don't think that's a stupid question at all. I've only done this guy so far. First draft, so still in development. If you have any requests though, please let me know. Oh, I did try a Beast Boy card a while ago, but I shelved that.

Well, looks like I picked just about the worst time to make a new thread.

>Kamigawa 2.0
Actually I was designing a set based on Kamigawa. Here are some of the cards I was working on:

>Takeno, Kami of Bushido (1)(W)(W)(W)
>Legendary Creature – Spirit Samurai (MR)
>Morale – Untap all Samurai you control, those creatures get +2/+2 until the end of turn.
>Takeno, Kami of Bushido has Bushido X, where X is the amount of Samurai you control.
>You may cast Legendary spells as though they had flash.
>3/3

>Junpei, Champion of the People (W)(U)(G)
>Legendary Creature – Human Samurai (MR)
>Vigilance, Hexproof.
>Champion three Creatures.
>Junpei, Champion of the People has Bushido X, where X is the highest toughness among creatures being championed by it and can block an additional X creatures
>6/6

>Hideyoshi, Great Unifier (3)(W)(R)(G)
>Trample, Indestructible.
>Morale – Target creature you control must be blocked this turn if able.
>Hideyoshi, Great Unifier has Bushido X, where X is the ammount of +1/+1 counters on it.
>(R/G): Target Samurai you control fights target creature you don't control. Put a +1/+1 counter on that creature at the end of combat.
>4/4

>Akira, Ronin Avenger (3)(W)(B)(R)
>Double Strike, Menace.
>Morale – If it's your turn, untap all creatures that attacked this turn, after this phase there's an additional combat phase.
>Akira, Ronin Avenger has Bushido X, where X is the number of Legendary creatures you control.
>5/4

>Gamagori, Ninja Outcast (2)(W)(U)(B)
>Legendary Creature – Rat Ninja Samurai (MR)
>Skulk, Deathtouch.
>Gamagori, Ninja outcast has Bushido X, where X is the number of cards exiled with it.
>Ninjutsu (W)(U)(B).
>Whenever a ninja you control deals damage to an opponent, that opponent exiles a card from his hand.
>2/4

Also new Iname:

>Iname, Born Anew (3)(W)(B)(G)
>Legendary Enchantment Creature – Spirit (MR)
>Flying, Deathtouch.
>When you cast Iname, Born Anew, you may search for any number of creature cards, then exile those cards.
>Sacrifice a creature: You may cast Spirit spells this turn from exile as of they had flash.
>4/4

I forgot to explain, Morale is an ability triggered whenever a Legendary permanent enters the battlefield under your control.

Subtypes like Horror should always be capitalized.

Whoops. Thanks.

>Enchantment — Aura Curse
>Enchant player
>Whenever a Horror attacks enchanted player, it gains fear until end of turn.
Also, Fear is dead. It was replaced with Intimidate, but that was in turn replaced with Menace.

And Menace is pretty much red only right? Regardless, people make their own keywords up. I don't think it matters if I bring back an old one.

>And Menace is pretty much red only right?
No, it's BR.

~ 5RR
Instant
Target creature an opponent whose turn it is controls must attack you this turn if able, Goad all other creatures that player controls . Creatures that player controls gain Melee until end of turn.

This card is so horribly overcosted for what it does.

Give this man a job at R&D.

Eh. Either way I like the idea behind fear a bit more. It fits my theme. I also play a Marrow Gnawer EDH deck.

I mean, Wizards prints cards that are way over costed all the time.

I don't think that this card would be able to keep track of what it bounced after it goes back to its owner's hands. You might want to make it exile a nonland permanent until it leaves the battlefield (oblivion ring style) and the forbid the casting of cards with the same name.

Something like that?

To the guy making Horror-tribal cards: Read up on Oracle text and correct your cards. You're giving me a headache.

I found this gem the other day.

That's just right.
>Would play / 10

What do you think of mine?

I love the ideas. Though I would have to say a few of these seem a bit to low of cost. Mainly Junpei. A 6/6 for 3 mana is pretty crazy alone, not to mention his Bushido ability making him even more powerful.

I would adjust some of the mana costs. I always liked the Kamigawa expansion and Bushido so I am glad to see someone else with ideas for it.

Also, the idea of the Morale on Akria mixed with Takeno's flash for legondary's is a really cool combo for multiple combat phases. Gotta be careful with those mechanics though.

Thanks again for the feedback last thread, anons; I read everything, but the thread was archived before I had a chance to respond. Anyway, moving right along! Here is the first draft of the blue uncommons for my set.

Go nuts

I costed Junpei very aggressively because of the exigent color requirements plus needing to have 3 creatures to cast him. I also have a somewhat nerfed version that has another take on the Bushido X ability.

>Junpei, Champion of the People (W)(U)(G)
>Vigilance, Hexproof.
>Champion three Creatures.
>Junpei, Champion of the People has Bushido X, and can block X additional creatures where X is the total of Bushido points among all creatures being championed by it.
>6/6

That way it get less bushido points unless in a Samurai deck. If he is he's brutal though.

I just want to point out that the events of Kamigawa happened hundreds, if not thousands, of years before the events taking place in Magic now. So if this is set even decades after the Kami War, you should probably avoid references to, say, Tamiyo.

1. I have no idea how to look at parts of names like this, so I'm not doing it.

2. The entire list of names I would have to include would be... unwieldy. My list would be
>Batman
>Nightwing
>Red Robin
>Batgirl
>Black Bat
>Robin
And that's a pared down version. I could easily include 5 more.

3. Also, not a fan of Phasing.

4. Unfortunately, work on lands has ground to a halt. What I want them to do keeps changing, and I can't just make up my mind.

This is supposed to happen in present day Kamigawa, so I was planing on having a Tamiyo card.

Another card:

>Master of the Way (1)(W)(W)
>Creature – Human Cleric Samurai (R)
>Bushido 2
>Other Samurai you control obtain another point of Bushido for every point of Bushido they have.
>2/2

A take on a Samurai lord.

Takeno does it better. And why Cleric?

Its supposed to be a warrior monk kind of character. There is this subgroup among samurai who follow the code of bushido religiously (literally so).

Alright guys, i'm always open to Feedback

So, the Human tribe is a Control tribe with an Enchantment sub-theme

And the Rares

And to finish the Humans, here we have the Mythics.

And now, to finish the humans, the Mythics

The Rogues are also a more control-focus tribe, but works with Card advantage a lot more.

Now with the Uncommons. Also, maybe my set should be put into the OP as WiP, it's been a while since I started.

So, now with the Rares for the Rogues

and Finally, the Mythics. and soon, the Goblins.

They seem fine except the wording on into the duat
Should be "until the beginning of your next end step."

The goblin is a tribe mostly set around sacrifice. Trading your creature's life to gain the upper hand.

and now for the uncommons goblin.

And now for the Rare.

Make it stop.

Nope

Joking, it's actually the last one I have. gotta do the others.

Let the hate flow!

Also Master of the Way is meant to be played on curve with Takeno and does have synergy with him.

Also Samurai tokens:

>Call to War (1)(W)
>Instant (C)
>Create two 0/1 Human Samurai Creature tokens with Bushido 1.

>Gather the Armies (X)(W)(R)
>Instant – Arcane (R)
>Soulcast (You may discard any amount of cards as you cast this spell. Each card you discard this way pays for (1)).
>Create X 0/1 Human Samurai Creature tokens with Bushido 1. Untap all Samurai you control.

>Hordes of Eiganjo (3)(W)(W)
>Creature – Human Soldier Samurai (R)
>Morale – Create three 0/1 Human Samurai Creature tokens with Bushido 1.
>Bushido 2.
>Horde's of Eiganjo's power and toughness is equal to the number of Samurai you control.
>*/*

M1 should be red only, and m3 should be red/black

Actually, I'll make that last one (3)(W)(G)

What if it was, instead of ''Your creatures get +1/+0), it was ''That player's creatures get -1/-1 until end of the turn''?

That would make it a different card. Your NEXT end step would be on that turn. The end of your next turn is the turn after that. The wording is correct. See Commune with Lava for an example.

I'm just going to go ahead an use this thread as an idea dump if you people don't mind.

Some Spirit and Cleric Samurai

>Guardian of the Kindred (1)(W)(U)
>Creature – Spirit Samurai (R)
>Flash, Flying.
>Bushido 2.
>When Guardian of the Kindred enters the battlefield target creature gains Hexproof until Guardian of the Kindred leaves the battlefield.
>2/2

>Consecrated Progenitor (2)(W)(G)
>Creature – Spirit Samurai (R)
>Bushido 2.
>At the beginning of your upkeep reveal the top card of your library. If it's a Creature card that shares a type with Consecrated Progenitor you may cast that card without paying its mana cost.
>Reincarnate 3 (when this creature dies, you may exile it from your graveyard, if you do, return target Creature that shares a type with it to the battlefield).
>2/2

>Sojourner of Realms (W)(B)
>Creature – Human Cleric Samurai (R)
>Lifelink, Deathtouch.
>Bushido 1.
>Whenever you Reincarnate a creature you may return Sojourner of Realms from your graveyard to the battlefield
>2/2

Brother!

Question: In terms of the modern color pie, we know for a fact that rituals are Red. But they've been in Black and Green too. Do you think rituals can still exist in those colors?

Black moved away from that to have permanent-based mana acceleration, usually by increasing the mana gave from swamps. and it's pretty rare.

Green moved away from it to have ramp instead, so ritual isn't useful for them.

A planeswalker. Guess who it is?

>Hidetsugu, Realm's Demise (3)(B)(R)
>Planeswalker – Hidetsugu (MR)
>+1 You may sacrifice a creature. If you do, target opponent discards two cards at random.
>-1 You may have all play loose half of their life totals rounded down
>-3 Target opponent with exactly 10 life looses the game
>-3 Target opponent gets an emblem with "Whenever you discard a card from your hand, sacrifice a permanent
>3 Loyalty

How's that?, I tried to make it unique giving it two Ultimates he can do as soon as he ETBs. One is an alter of Hidetsugu's Second Rite and is meant to be reminiscent of his character.

His -1 is also his ability as a creature and with Rite he can win on the third turn alter entering the battlefield. As it should be wit a 5 mana walker.

The emblem makes it so you can cast Hidetsugu even if you can't defend him. He makes the emblem and gets you a very good emblem to make your discard effects into edicts and the next time you cast him you can protect him with his +1.

>Do you think rituals can still exist in those colors?
It isn't a question. They DO exist in those colors within the modern color pie. See Deconstruct, Liturgy of Blood.

Neither of those are rituals.

You're being obtuse. Both incorporate rituals into design. There's also Channel the Suns, Burning-Tree Emissary, Manamorphose, Basal Sliver, Dark Petition...

Having a positive net mana is basically the whole point of a ritual.

Only for cards that are solely rituals. Other rituals mitigate expensive effects or provide color fixing, and that doesn't magically stop them from being rituals.

They're a different design space though, so it doesn't make sense to conflate them that way.

No one refers to cards like Manamorphose as rituals.

Different design space perhaps, but using the same mechanic: Adding mana to your pool via spells. That's all a ritual is, a spell that immediately adds an amount of mana to your pool.

That might be your definition but I doubt most see it that way.

That isn't just my definition, that's literally what a ritual is. Better rituals have a higher mana gained to mana spent ratio, but that isn't a required aspect. Priest of Urabrask is a ritual attached to a body, even though it provides a net mana gain of 0. Dark Petition is literally Demonic Tutor mashed up with Dark Ritual; the ritual is not the primary purpose of the card, but it's still incorporated into the design.

Question, /ccg/:
How much design space do you think is left in the Daghatar/Shu Yun/Tasigur/Alesha/Yasova cycle? That is, single-color creatures with hybrid off-color effects that work as commanders? Furthermore, which setups do you think have the most possible ground?

I've vaguely pondered a Jeskai goblin starting in Red and having a very cowardly W/U effect that bounces things, but I'm not sold on it and that's only one card.

You just gave me an idea to make those creatures, but for the Alara shards.

You can mash up whatever you want. There are already other mono-colored cards that make use of other color mana. It should make a little sense as to what you're going for though.

How insane am I?

Aside from accidentally leaving her as a common.

>+1 makes emblems
Already going wrong here.
>-1 turns something into an enchantment
Stops an attacker or lets you blow something up I guess, but ultimately useless in many situations.
>-4 basically stops an opponent from interacting with an enchantment. I'm also guessing you tried to make it indefinite on purpose?
Again, very niche.

Don't know what kind of flavor or utility you're really going for here.

I figured it's a mild enough effect that it'd just be a neat bit of design. Sorin's made emblems as a - before and it was stronger than that.

It can turn her into an enchantment so they can't damage her. So there's that. And you can do shenanigans with enchantment synergy.

And yeah, it's niche but it's very powerful when it's the kind of thing you want.

What I'm going for in utility is, of course, a cheaply costed, niche walker that doesn't work all that well in most decks but can be quite nice without being absolutely insane in the right one.

As for flavor, an enchantress that protects her people with her powerful enchantments.

I appreciate the feedback.

How's this? I'm unsure if it's any good due to the disadvantage of having to sac things that could otherwise be used to directly make your opponents much more likely to lose the game. Just so you know, I have another version of this that's the same but has you sac one creature.

too good? too situational?

This NEEDS Black. The -N/-N effect only ever shows up in that color. You could make it mono-Black, or mix it with... I guess Red makes the most sense here. Though personally, I would've made it mono-Black.

you have a point

Most creatures are symmetrical, so this is pretty much just Murder 90% of the time.

I like it, COanon. Sac big dudes, play bigger ones. Plays well with both black and red's higher ration of high-power-low-toughness creatures and their usual reckless gameplan.

Rituals are, and always have, been to accelerate. Manamorphose is a fixing cantrip, not a ritual or ramp card.

Still working on the Mother Box. I'm pretty much dead set now on making it a mana rock.

Cool, thanks. As I said, the original version sacced only one creature, which just didn't feel like it did enough, you know? At least with this you could sac a zombie army or something.

Just ramping at 6 mana isn't amazing. Maybe you could make it one of those kinds of Mana Rocks that does something when the mana is spent to cast a thing? It's a portal technology, so maybe something to do with lands or searching creatures? Maybe something like:
>Add # to your mana pool. When that mana is spent to cast a creature spell, you may search your library for a card that shares a creature type with that spell, reveal it, and put it into your hand. If you do, shuffle your library.

It could be creature type, color, same power, etc. You could even make a pretty interesting card if you went with something like same CMC and put it onto the battlefield instead of to your hand.

This wants you to be going wide and tall at the same time which is pretty difficult to pull off.

The bladed gauntlet thing that Batman has. The ability is to show him using the blades to disarm an opponent. Probably too narrow, trying to think of something else to use.

Man, people love bringing up that teleportation thing. Yeah, I'm getting nowhere focusing on just mana. I'm just not sure what's a good ability to show off teleportation, though I guess tutor is a start. Here's an idea before I go off to bed:
>T: Add three mana in any combination of colors to your mana pool. When that mana is spent to cast a creature spell, you may put a creature card with converted mana cost less than or equal to that spell's converted mana cost from your hand onto the battlefield.
Though I will point out that making more than one mana means it could potentially be spent on multiple creatures to obtain the effect from each of them. Well, good night.

I don't know what wide or tall really mean. AFAIK, "going wide" means "alpha strike time". Really, I was basing it on another card I did an user said is basically a win-con in EDH. It's 5GG and says "At the beginning of your precombat main phase, for each colored creature you control, add one mana of any of that creature's colors to your mana pool."

I might be using it wrong but wide is having lots of small creatures and tall is having a few big ones. Also wincon in EDH doesn't mean much. as there are already plenty of those.

I just clicked you for a reply. Anyway. Thoughts on my card? Mostly for use against things that can't be blocked. Or in instances where an unblocked creature gets pumped.

Its fine, although 'target attacking creature becomes blocked by target creature you control' would be a better wording.

I like this better than the "can block creatures as though they had no abilities" I've seen floating around.

His lets you potentially kill the attacker.

The card draw makes it much better. Thought mine has some advantages with having you pick a creature to block with.

Also some odd interactions with cards that are not able to block. Or cards that have effects when they block.

It'd skip those with the proper wording, same as with cards that put things into play already attacking.

>Skulk
Dead keyword.
>No Ninjutsu.
Dead ninja.