Buy a healing potion at the market

>Buy a healing potion at the market
>The bottle is filled with deadly poison

Nine out of ten adventurers won't survive this.
Test your players.

>implying
Healing potions have a minor aura of good, while poison has a minor aura of evil. If the GM doesn't prompt an Insight check, with subtlety or not, he's a shitter you shouldn't let run your games.

>poison immunity
Okay, so how much health do I regain for this weird inverse-reverse double un-plus-healing potion?

With this level of DM it would probably be
>Paladin, you detect a slight aura of evil coming off the potion, you think it might be best not to drink that
>"Okay, I don't drink it, I continue on and head towards the church, donating what's left of my money."
>You fall
>"What why?"
>You left a poison sitting in the market, it was sold to an innocent who died from it.

It's just Brawndo.

>What bonuses do I get from electrolytes?

Vulnerability to plants.

If you are a plant, it's a potion of heroism.

Knowledge check on what electrolytes are?

Rolled 7, 13 + 4 = 24 (2d20 + 4)

Disadvantage because no one knows what the fuck those are.

You know that Brawndo has electrolytes

The same as the club of healing. 1d6 of health restored and 1d4 of blunt damage.

>Im-fucking-plying people need to have that level of paranoia in their game to be considered 'good players'
This isn't the Underdark, friendo. When I want to run a game based on horror and mistrust I will.

Nine times out of ten businesses won't survive financial destitution from this.

>My potions are too strong for you traveler...

Sorry grandpa, we've long since moved passed the age of the cheap DM gotcha. Everybody realized that shit's dumb and unfun. Get with the times golden oldie.

My DM tried this in our game

>druid buys a potion
>druid is in a hurry and points out the one he wants
>dm has him roll a spot check
>thinks it's a potion of healing
>it's actually a potion of longevity
>druid is a human
>dm rolls dice
>starts laughing
>druid reverts to 6 years old
>we have to hire a nanny to accompany us and watch over druid

>The player will somehow form an empathetic bond with the poison and feel its pain at having to harm another

You guys need to stop babying

How do I emulate this for Wand of CLW?

>>Get GM some Mountain Dew
>>The bottle is spiked with laxative

Nine out of ten GMs won't make it in time.
Test at your responsibility.

>potion players have no reason to believe is fake
>for some reason this market apparently exists and hasn't been burned to the ground
>bad dm putting this in the game at all

seriously man, wtf were you thinking? this makes no fucking sense

Yeah, it's kind of a shitty thing in general, but a shady merchant selling that sort of thing in a normal market is kind of pushing it. If it was in a city where magic items are contraband or some traveling no-name merchant I could see it happening, but even then it's kind of a pointless dick move

>Implying the healing potion itself isn't toxic.

You know, this brings to mind a weird question: Say a 3.5 monk or druid gets deaged. Presumably, being a child means you take penalties on your stats.

But if they reach the appropriate level to achieve timeless body while still a child, does that mean they suddenly regain full-adult stat strength?

>this makes no fucking sense
We had similar thing happen couple years ago with booze. Underground distilleries are sometimes mixing methanol into their liquor to cut production costs (and bypass taxes). One batch got mixed wrong, too much methanol, some people died. It was all over the newspaper, country had temporal prohibition law, all that jazz. But no stores were closed down permanently and immediately after the temporal law was lifted the consumption was back to normal.

>the healing pots you buy in town have a nonzero chance to be poison

You already have plenty of chances to kill them in a dungeon. This is just obscene.

The toxicity of healing potion overdosage would be common knowledge though, so that's not something you could just suddenly pull on your players.

But killing customers means no repeat business and it won't be long before people work out that you're selling poison.

What kind of shitty-arse salesman are you?

But I'm not a salesman. I'm the BBEG and these jackoffs are about to raid my lair again.

I only sell poison to murderhobos though.

Can this be an Interesting Potions Thread?

I basically put Plasmids/Vigors into a game, once. They were this big, nigh-unattainable thing that everyone wanted, but were almost impossible to get ahold of.

There was a risk, whenever you had one, that it would cause a permanent mental problem if you took one. They never realized that the people they fought that actually did have powers from them were all cracked, not even after they watched someone they knew, or, "thought they knew," drink one that gave him fire powers turn, over the course of a week, from a mild-mannered artist into a raving pyromaniac talking about the beauty of fire, and how much more beautiful everything would be if it were burning.

>sell potions of poison to stupid, yet powerful adventurers
>adventurers die
>take corpses and sell those to necromancers as prospects for their future undead armies
>then go to the church and inform all the paladins and clerics about the necromancers and their plans
>then raid the church when everyone's gone fighting necromancers
>somehow don't get caught through this whole plan and retire on a fat sack of gold

that's when you poison the DM

>today we finally get to play "The Adventure in which the GM dies"

The market gets razed to the ground by the survivors.

There is a reason bad or cursed items get sold or given away by a certain typebof character and not sold in a legitimate business.

yes. Imagine Yoda's fighting in the bad prequels

One of my GM's had a random encounter chart with a small chance of encountering a little girl who was a witch that sold potions at reduced prices. However, because she was a child and her familiar had trouble telling bottles apart, she would sometimes accidentally sell potions that were actually filled with soap. Bath bombs, basically.

Not lethal, but definitely not something you want to drink in a combat situation, either.

Does anyone go into the taste, and consistency of their potions? I have not yet had a DM engage in that level of fuckery.

>her familiar had trouble telling bottles apart

Cute :3

plants crave that shit

The only appropriate time to do a Poison Potion is when the party is just drinking the weird unlabeled shit they find in dungeons.

LIKE HELL IT WILL

>mix a bunch of shit together and call it a miracle cure
>it might help people, it might make them sick, it probably does nothing
>you don't give a shit, in a week you'll be selling your snake oil in another town

>you are poisoned!

"From the healing potion?!"

>yes, it was actually a poison!

" The why didn't I get a chance to detect that in any way? I wouldn't have noticed an odd smell or taste before I ingested too much or could throw it up?"

>Nope, you're poisoned and die

".....No, I'm not and I don't. That's stupid bullshit and I'm ignoring it"

>you...you can't ignore it, I"m the GM!

"Ok, so I regain 15 hp. You guys ready to continue the dungeon?"

>You can't, you're dead.

"Sweet, I roll for perception to check the hallway."

>You're dead, you can't see!

"A +5 vorpal longsword? Awesome! I strap it to my belt."