So, seeing as how their main page hasn't updated in over two years...

So, seeing as how their main page hasn't updated in over two years, it's safe to say that Legend not-so-slowly bled to death after DocRoc went on to do other things.

I love the ideas behind Legend. I think that it had a lot of potential.

What happened to the project?

Did the Kickstarter not make enough money to continue?

Did the creators just lose interest after they got a new project lead?

Other urls found in this thread:

ruleofcool.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Legend-1.1.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It's sad, but as far as I understand it they lost their central, lead guy after he got hired by another company and was forced to sign an agreement that he wouldn't work on any other projects outside the company.

Given how little progress there has been since then, it's obvious he was the guy holding it all together and giving them direction. It's a real shame, I loved Legend as a basis, it just needed more fleshing out to be a truly great game.

I'm right there with you, man.

It had such a great foundation to build on -- it just needed another few months of polish and I think that it would have been really successful.

autistic 3e-style shitfest for gay faggots who won't upgrade to 5e lmao

How can you look at the Track system and NOT see it as something original?

Tracks are probably the most substantial single difference, but it's different on pretty much every front aside from the central resolution mechanic being 'd20+modifiers'.

That's what I'm saying; I love it.

It's familiar, but substantially different and streamlined in a way that doesn't feel dumbed down. I really, really wish they'd finished the project.

Fuck you shitwipe. I'm a 5E-fag through and through, but before then I loved this goddamn beautiful thing.

I still get teary-eyed.

So, what is this?

A free RPG that withered on the vine before it was properly finished.

It's still playable, but it lacks a complete bestiary, which means running it can make for more work.
The forums have a fair amount of monsters and stuff made by others which offsets this, but still.

Most recent PDF: ruleofcool.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Legend-1.1.pdf

Fantasy Craft's estranged cousin.

It was also made by people who took a long and critical look at the d20 system to actually understand what they're working with, but they came to a different conclusion than Fantasy Craft's team.

Where FC focused on making a proper toolbox out of the source material, with good class and feat design, Legend focused more on the "zero to hero" arc and mechanically engaging combat with some pretty awesome character customization to boot.

There was a Kickstarter? Damn. If shipping wasn't shit to outside the US I'd have backed the hell out of that.

Legend also has some of the best feats printed in any RPG, ever.

'Cheerful Hemoglobin' is an actual ability in the goddamn game.

IIRC there was a real issue arising from the design team coming from a nearly 100% play-by-post background. Some of the mechanics were absolutely brilliant but the characters and monsters rapidly became unplayably complex.

Could you expand on this?

This is the game that lets you play as Kamen Rider, right?

Yeah, the "Vigilante" progression track. You can find it in the PDF in on page 126.

Not him and I haven't actually played anything beyond first level, but Tracks usually feature 7 separate abilities that automatically scale with level.
So you go from 2 (3 with Full Buy-In) abilities at level 1 to 21 (28 with Full Buy-In) abilities at level 20. Add to that Feats and Items and keeping track of your character's full range of abilities gets progressively more challenging.

But that's all relatively self-explanatory.

There's not nearly so much bookkeeping as in, say, 3.5.

You lost me there. What do you mean with self-explanatory and how does 3.5 have more bookkeeping (casters excluded)?

Having read through Legend at a time when I was playing 3.5 exclusively, I was just struck by how much more intuitive everything seemed.

Well, okay. Clear and unified design makes the whole thing easier to understand, sure. But there's still a ton of distinct information to keep track of in later levels.

It helps to keep in mind that your range with everything, including melee attacks, scales upwards as you level. For me that's what tips it over the edge into having just a bit too much going on.

But it's still a mid/late game problem. Most of the experience will still be fun.