"Have you ever been playing a tabletop game where your character performed an action but the GM thought there was some...

"Have you ever been playing a tabletop game where your character performed an action but the GM thought there was some manner of risk involved? And you'd stand there and you'd talk amongst each other for minutes at a time determining if you could really pull it off? Well fear not for my new game has a revolutionary mechanic that aims to change the RPG industry forever.

It is known as: The Diamond. A beautiful, shining geometric object made from various polymers. Invoking the Diamond's power allows you to perform various risky and downright dangerous actions with a chance of failure and success in one action. Simply throw the impervious diamond against the table and watch as one of the 10 holy runes appears at its top. The rune is a number that you can then add your own characters modifier onto in order to accomplish any feat you desire! In this way The Diamond represents chance, probability and luck all in one.

This innovative new mechanic for my latest RPG will encourage a much more active and agressive playstyle that is sure to take the RPG world by storm."

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=XDlXierCCeQ
kickstarter.com/projects/montecookgames/invisible-sun
youtube.com/watch?v=bItZ49PZ8HY
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I don't get it. Need some context. Invisible Sun?

"Holy Cow, Monte! That's an amazing new revolutionary system!

I really want to know more!

I bet that something that advanced and progressive costs well in excess of $900, right?"

But Monte Cook, how will I know when to throw The Diamond TM?

>512 ▶
> (OP)

To be fair to Monte Cook his work on 3.5 raised an entire generation of players to argue endlessly with their DM about the rules.

I throw Diamond TM and it shows
Error:Value beyon array limit!
What should i do?

Until now. This was the only way to get juice from an orange.

Uncanny resemblance.

>Monorail?
>Monorail.

It took me a moment, but this is pretty good.

>Monterail

That's right!

Monterail!

Really makes u think...

Just to let you know, if this were a thread on facebook I'd Like the fuck out of it.

OP's tears are so salty they're almost undrinkable.

Monte Cook please go

>one of the 10 holy runes
>10

Monte Cook has a lot in common with Mike Mearls. Both pretend that they are game designers when in fact their "job" could be accomplished by reading through pretty much every RPG that has been written since and taking ideas from it. Which is basically what happened.

D&D is designed in a vaccuum. It has not had an original idea since its inception. Neither has Monte Cook. His creations are simply rehashes of what has already been produced. Admittedly he is a tad better than Mearls, who cannot intelligently design a game and relies on a metric fuckton of playtesting by 50,000 people to STILL not grasp basic game design concepts. And both are better than the Pathfinder devs who had the easiest job in the world and still somehow managed to fuck it up (mouse cord = weapon cord never forget). But that doesn't say much.

I understand Monte Cook's minimalist back-to-basics attitude, and not wanting to throw in a shitton of narrative / metawankery. That's fine. But he needs to spend as much effort on actual design as he does on branding and bragging about his shitty "product" before he pretends he has any stake in the world of game design.

Kill yourself.

You should give him your sage advice, share some of your wealth and fame with him.

>YOU NEED TO BE AN A-CLASS CHEF BEFORE YOU CAN START TO CRITICIZE OTHER PEOPLES DISHES

That's nothing like what was said.

Nice all CAPS defense though, sad about being BTFO?

Well, with what Monte is asking for his latest innovation in RPGs, I don't really think anyone one of us is able to provide any greater wealth than what he already has in his pockets.

You're right, good ideas tend to multiply and the money flows.

Nice try Monte

>Incantation: In addition to their standard abilities, characters gain access to potent, one-use magical powers.
Cyphers from Cypher.

>Qualia: Characters can use their inherent magical might to influence actions—even those of others.
Point pools from Cypher, only expanded to assist others as well.

>using abilities to reduce difficulties, rather than gain bonuses.
>"succeed at any challenge of level 5 or less"
>d10
Again, Cypher System, only with a d10 instead of a d20.

>Qualia: Characters can use their inherent magical might to influence actions—even those of others.
Doesn't that sound more like effort? Doesn't sound like point pools at all.

>b-b-b-but it's making a lot of money on Kickstarter!

So did the Yogscast game
So did No Man's Sky
So did Hiveswap

B-Blaine?

No Mans Sky wasn't a Kickstarter Game...

Was it?

Are you thinking of like, Mighty Number 9?

Thinking isn't his strong-suit.

I'm sensing serious anal damage on the part of some of the posters in this thread. At a glance, it seems like people are desperately trying to justify their 200+ dollar purchase of a reskinned Cypher System.

Easier to imagine that they're just being hipster or contrary. No one spends money on things I don't like.

>implying rules lawyering wasn't a thing before 3e

>I'm w-w-w-w-winning

That low self-esteem must be a problem for you. ^^

Hey, could you tell me more about this new idea you call "Passive Perception?"

>mouse cord = weapon cord
Also office nerd = trained warrior.

This hack never ceases to amuse me.

>Invisible Sun is adult. It’s imaginative. It’s intricate. It’s a challenging game, not because it’s difficult to play (it isn’t) but because it’s deep. It’s not for everyone, but for those of you who want something deep, lush, and intelligent, it’s what you’ve always been waiting for.
>It’s a sophisticated approach to roleplaying for people with busy lives but who still thrill at the idea of really immersing themselves into another world whenever they get a free moment. It’s not for everyone, but for those of you who do want something deep, lush, and intelligent

Mr. Buzzwords

>Invisible Sun is a roleplaying game that extends play beyond the table to accommodate the busy schedule of your life. Play at home with your friends, play online, play one-on-one with the GM at the coffee shop. Become engrossed in compelling stories, with characters as complex and interesting as any in fiction.
>Escape.
>Invisible Sun is deep. It’s smart. Just like you.
>Invisible Sun will change the way you play roleplaying games.

What is Invisible Sun? See for yourself.

kickstarter.com/projects/montecookgames/invisible-sun

Invisible Sun is a game that costs $200 to buy. It's basically Cypher System (consumable cyphers, spending points to lower difficulties), but with d10s and D&D 5e's advantage/disadvantage.

Actual play: youtube.com/watch?v=XDlXierCCeQ

Invisible Sun is a special game because it lets you schedule one on one sessions with your GM between group sessions! For these, you earn XP and one-use superpowers that let you blow away major obstacles. So if the party was having huge trouble with something in the session, you can schedule a one on one session to win XP and solve that problem off-screen.

If you can't make it to a session, that's fine. Your character will "fade away" into the real world, and everyone will play without you. You won't earn XP (in this game, everyone can earn individual XP for doing things!), but that's fine, because you can just schedule a one on one session later to catch up on XP and one-use superpowers.

But even if you attend all group sessions, you can still schedule one on one sessions if you really want more XP and one-use superpowers. Invisible Sun is an RPG that rewards dedication!

Every rules monger/rules lawyer I have ever had the displeasure of playing with came from the stupid shit going on in 2e.

Holy crap. That has more useless shit in it then some board games I own.

>For only $50 Monte will even sign your game!

Who is the target audience? Who actually bought this?

>>For only $50 Monte will even sign your game!
>Who is the target audience?

Gullible marks.

> Who actually bought this?

Kickstarter says that he's found 979 gullible marks so far.

If there is a god, and I meet him, I'm going to ask if I can kick monte cook in the balls over and over and over.

Monte's been caught here before. I think he's just posting for the fun of it. Notice how the Numenera threads dropped in frequency when Invisible Sun started?

Curious. Did anyone here buy Numenera or Ptolus? Did you like them?

Yeah I think its making fun of Invisible Sun because apparently it's a reskin of another system.

Decimal numbering systems have 10 digits, user.

>Grimoire pad
>Character tomes

>So if the party was having huge trouble with something in the session, you can schedule a one on one session to win XP and solve that problem off-screen.
>Something that was the most difficult and memorable thing last session, the sort of thing that has the party raring to take it down next session
>Solve that shit offscreen

>paying for pregenerated characters and a decorative resin hand

Watch the actual play video.

This is literally what happens.

I've never cringed so hard at a role playing game's concept, even including those overly pretentious indy storygames that faggots from rpgnet and forge jizz over.

Holy shit.

Look user, you're just not dedicated enough to play a game like this. You can only play this if you're smart and want to make real decisions.

>people actually bought the $5,000+ pledges.

What the actual fuck.

I bet they're the kind of people who have RealDoll collections.

Forge and indie games honestly were trying to push RPGs in different directions and experiment with stuff like dice and GMs even if it led into stupid territory sometimes.

This is just a shameless cashgrab and a way for Monte to hit on his female players.

>a way for Monte to hit on his female players

>male player misses session and misses out on individual XP gains

>female player gets side session, earns individual XP, and gets to solve a huge problem off-screen

Wew lad.

>kickstarter.com/projects/montecookgames/invisible-sun

>Lorcan made a gun out of demon which fires bullets that only harm possessed people. On his quest to discover the long-forgotten (and perhaps forbidden) number between 12 and 13, the weapon is proving useful as the Enemies of Sleep appear determined to stop him.

What? Like 12.3? 12.5? 12.6? 12.75? I mean, it didn't say he was looking for a whole number or integer, just a number. This isn't that hard.

Money laundering?
At least it gives you something tangible. People have paid pledges for worse. Like owning taverns for the Pathfinder MMO.

>secret envelope!
>sooth deck!
>4 mothafuckin d10s!

It seems that Monte has discovered that there are whales and minnows in the tabletop RPG market, and he's decided to target the whales

Is that Zyzz?

No, it's the guy who sings youtube.com/watch?v=bItZ49PZ8HY in Cowboy Bebop.

Holy shit. I thought there was no way you weren't making that up until I did a quick search on it, what an asshole.

>>the long-forgotten (and perhaps forbidden) number between 12 and 13
Holy shit what the fuck

I'm gonna be real disappointed if the ultimate solution doesn't involve slicing into the box lid to find a card that says "the biggest, blackest dick."

In all seriousness, I sincerely hope he *has* come up with some clever mechanics to deal with scheduling and IC/OOC divide and board attention and a bunch of other stuff that makes playing TTRPGs as adults a royal pain in the ass sometimes.

And then I hope someone takes all those ideas and works them into something that isn't shit-tier fuckwittery being marketed as pretentious fuckwittery.

Hell, if someone's looking for something to get me for Christmas I'll take a pdf on using those ideas in 5e. Now *that* might be worth some $$$.

>I sincerely hope he *has* come up with some clever mechanics to deal with scheduling and IC/OOC divide
See and

I own Numenera and we enjoy it a lot.

Same, I have run quite a lot of it.

>D&D is designed in a vaccuum. It has not had an original idea since its inception.

I have no vested interest in your argument one way or another, but this pair of sentences confuses me. What do you mean? I would assume that if something was designed in a vacuum, that would mean it was designed without any outside influences, ergo, all original ideas. Or did you mean it was designed in a vacuum, in that it doesn't take into account the larger context that it was meant to be used in?

Sorry, genuinely curious what you meant.

Yeah, but that's basically just Living Greyhawk/PFS/AL all over again, just with no minimum table size. There's nothing clever or new about that.

I mean, shit, I can schedule a big overarching hardback adventure and let people drop in for semi-related make-up modules, big whoop. I don't really need to drop $200 on "do Adventurers League, but let people run solo adventures too!"

Also here, we use to play more narrative games but our game to go for when we want more crunch is the cypher system.

Do those solo adventures give you XP and let you solve major problems off-screen?

Shill detected! Commence purge!

Yes, Monte, they fucking do. The entire point of catch-up adventures is to give players who are behind XP, Gold, and Gear or to let people focus on a style of gameplay that the whole table doesn't care for to solve a problem. That's why people have been running "let me just get with Bob Saturday and let him do the sneaky bits without boring Alice till she quits and then we'll run the main dungeon Sunday night" since the fucking 1970s.

I mean, did you honestly fucking think that people had catch-ups, solos, and partial groups that *didn't* award fucking XP or advance the story in any way? And that a $200 board game would fix it?

Because so far every piece of marketing I've seen is either some stupid pandering "you like ARGs and have a spare couple hundred in your pocket, that makes you a special person" dreck or "innovative" gaming ideas that I figured out on my own in middle school. I'm surprised you haven't mentioned giving XP for things like journal entries or forum posts but I get the feeling you might be holding on to that for the sequel.

I mean, Christ. Congratulations on selling 1000 rich people a giant fuckin' handful of magic beans. I gotta respect the hustle. But don't come here and pretend "give out XP every time you play" is some great innovative idea. You were doing so much better than that, step away from shilling bullshit and actually create again.

But two thumbs up for Cypher System, that shit's awesome.

After it's very clearly time for Exterminatus. Call it in.

Invisible Sun lets you have solo sessions for XP and rewards even if you haven't missed any "main" sessions.

Cry me a river, niggers. Don't buy the game if you don't want. In the end of the day, the man's still an industry icon, richer than you'll ever be, and has done more for the hobby than you ever will. How much of an impact did your brilliant homebrew make you? Yeah, thought so.

You can claim he's an idiot all you want, but here's the thing: if there's an objective measure to how good an RPG designer is, than it has to be something quantifiable. Choose whatever you want: money made, awards won, fans, whatever. By whatever you chose, Monte Cook is still a genius.

Or, you can say that there's no quantifiable measure, and it's all subjective. In which case you obviously can't claim he's an idiot, because it's subjective.

However you spin it, ultimately, you're a bunch of faggots butthurt that the world will never recognize your genius while someone you don't agree with is widely adored. I bet you also cry yourself to sleep muttering about how Christopher Paolini ripped off Star Wars and Stephanie Meyer ruined vampires. Call back when that novel you've been working on for ten years now is released and makes a tenth of the profit.

That paragraph looks like someone got real fucking impressed reading Don't Rest Your Head.

What a bunch of pathetic falseflagging.

Get bored of replying to yourself?

No, but if you taste a dish that has been lauded by numerous of the world's top conneiseurs by one of the world's most famous chefs, whose restauraunt has a waiting list the length of Chile, and who has 3 Michelin stars then call it utter and complete garbage, you pretty much prove yourself to be either a dick for dickery's sake or clueless about food.

>n-no one could possibly like a thing I don't lile, right? That - that would mean that my opinions are not facts! I-it has to be shilling, right? Right?!

Do you honestly, in your heart of hearts, think that's an innovation? Do you actually believe you came up with that?

No user, that's touhoufag saying that somehow because a player can do side-sessions to "get ahead" of the party in any RPG, in this one it's going to be a dangerous, slippery slope because they acknowledge that people do it.

>touhoufag

I backed it. My GM is really excited about it and we're all trying to figure out if we want to pool some cash to get the directed campaign thing. Shit on Monte all you want but we've had a great time playing Numenera, The Strange and some homebrew Cypher System settings and as a fan of his products this looks pretty cool.

You know you can pick up a few old D&D books and find the same thing, don't you?

The same what? What thing are you even talking about?

That gameplay video is absolutely useless; I'm watching it and nothing is explained so I have no idea what's actually going on or why.

>promising bold new innovative features that are in truth neither
>charging full price for derivative, buggy games with the expectation that the community will fix them
>winning numerous awards despite producing mediocre products that are just shallow reskins of earlier work while other better games fall by the wayside

Has Monte Cook become the Todd Howard of TTRPGs?

They why? Because Cooke loves tall spires. It's one of his favorite gimmicks.

He literally invented and condemned the term for them.

>"Have you ever been playing a tabletop game where your character performed an action but the GM thought there was some manner of risk involved?

You have just described why I really, really hate most open ended RPG systems.

Having a chance of failure at any task you perform?

That is an intriguing opinion, can you give an example of a non-open-ended rpg system that you enjoy?

Touhoufag was so awesome. And then the mod with his dick in his hand banned him for being awesome.

I miss that time he managed to stat out Satan in nWoD.

As far as I can tell, you get extra rewards for being achingly pretentious.

Monte Cook isn't that bad. I consider him a better designer than Jonathan Tweet or Rob Heinsoo or Mike Mearls. He gets a lot of hate for his "Ivory Tower game design" article, but that article is merely describing part of the design process of 3e rather than advocating for it--and given MC's Cypher system, I have a feeling he's actually against Ivory Tower game design.